$42,530 FINE per Video… FTC is coming for YouTube Creators

This forum is for anything not Reason related, if you just want to talk about other stuff. Please keep it friendly!
User avatar
bitley
Posts: 1285
Joined: 03 Jul 2015
Location: sweden

Post 19 Nov 2019

bxbrkrz wrote:
19 Nov 2019
Youtube search: spiderman elsa frozen h3h3productions. h3h3productions is the name of the channel. Watch their videos about the subject. Disturbing. 1000s of channels deleted. Youtube knew, but did nothing. Made $$$$$$$. Big popular channels, like h3h3Productions, PewDiePie etc, talked about it. Over and over again. Youtube did nothing (at first). Huge scandal. 'Responsible parents' would put a phone or a tablet in front of their kid's eyeballs on Youtube Kid (not sure what the name is) for hours and hours. 100s of millions of views. Yes, 100s of millions across multiple channels. Everything was nice at first, but the algorithm would add those types of videos in the auto playlist for the babies and young children to watch.
I am with you there; I've only seen a fraction of the content from these youtubers, PewDiePie certainly wasn't something that inspired me, and I was not at all happy by everything I saw there – perhaps I've seen two to five of his videos – and nothing from the latest 2 years or so... My own favourite youtuber is Casey Neistat by the way. Lovely guy, amazing (film) studio in NYC, truly uplifting and positive content. To my eyes.

But OK – so what you are pointing at is affecting "today's very naughty and screaming youtuber" material, but does it affect other areas too? I mean like old movies and what not? I ideally don't want to go through entire very lengthy videos and channels really but if you guys can point out specific content FTC will be looking for it would be very interesting.
Last edited by bitley on 19 Nov 2019, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
bxbrkrz
Posts: 1285
Joined: 17 Jan 2015

Post 19 Nov 2019

bitley wrote:
19 Nov 2019
bxbrkrz wrote:
19 Nov 2019
Youtube search: spiderman elsa frozen h3h3productions. h3h3productions is the name of the channel. Watch their videos about the subject. Disturbing. 1000s of channels deleted. Youtube knew, but did nothing. Made $$$$$$$. Big popular channels, like h3h3Productions, PewDiePie etc, talked about it. Over and over again. Youtube did nothing (at first). Huge scandal. 'Responsible parents' would put a phone or a tablet in front of their kid's eyeballs on Youtube Kid (not sure what the name is) for hours and hours. 100s of millions of views. Yes, 100s of millions across multiple channels. Everything was nice at first, but the algorithm would add those types of videos in the auto playlist for the babies and young children to watch.
I am with you there; I've only seen a fraction of the content from these youtubers, PewDiePie certainly wasn't something that inspired me, and I was not at all happy of everything I saw there – perhaps I've seen two to five of his videos... My own favourite youtuber is Casey Neistat by the way. Lovely guy, amazing (film) studio in NYC, truly uplifting and positive content. To my eyes.

But OK – so what you are pointing at is affecting "today's very naughty and screaming youtuber" material, but does it affect other areas too? I mean like old movies and what not? I ideally don't want to go through entire very lengthy videos and channels really but if you guys can point out specific content FTC will be looking for it would be very interesting.
If your channel is about old classic family movies, collecting children comics, collecting Lego, toys, if your channel is about families with children, children doing sport, sing along nursery rhymes, baby story telling. Is your channel about Star Wars? If yes is it targeting kids or adults? You don't know? Get a lawyer.
It's a mess, lots of people will be targeted.
Search for: FTC Lego. It should be the first result.

User avatar
bitley
Posts: 1285
Joined: 03 Jul 2015
Location: sweden

Post 19 Nov 2019

I'd rather stay in the forum discussing the whole thing but being a father of three my kids have been watching all of that of course and yes, it scares me to think of what they might have seen over the years. I will try to see what FTC Lego might be about then – we are huge Lego fans here.

OK - so I saw some brief moments from one of those guys; so Coppa deals with kids up to 13 years of age and that's it? So why not simply have a youtube account login page where it says the user has to be 14 years old and up to watch videos? Because people will breach this by using a family account or whatnot?

I have already set my own channel to contain adult content only – but it's both hilarious and totally sick to have to put an Ensoniq EPS demo or a Reason tutorial in line with what we all know as adult content from the old world... this thing's like AOL strikes back all over again.
Last edited by bitley on 19 Nov 2019, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
bxbrkrz
Posts: 1285
Joined: 17 Jan 2015

Post 19 Nov 2019

bitley wrote:
19 Nov 2019
I'd rather stay in the forum discussing the whole thing but being a father of three my kids have been watching all of that of course and yes, it scares me to think of what they might have seen over the years. I will try to see what FTC Lego might be about then – we are huge Lego fans here.
I was wrong. It is not even about the old scandal. It is just about the privacy of children under the age of 13. I guess the 'old scandal' was never dealt with, beyond what YT did on their platform, so technically the creepy stuff is still being pushed. That horror problem was never solved.

Nature abhors a vacuum... And Google will be glad to fill it if you are not vigilant, even if they end up paying a fine.

User avatar
bitley
Posts: 1285
Joined: 03 Jul 2015
Location: sweden

Post 19 Nov 2019

The whole $42,530 fine thing scares me tremendously so I don't know what to do as a content creator really. It's disgusting. I'd ideally want all of my own videos to be OK'd manually one by one by certified personnel so I'd know. What did we all do wrong?

By the old scandal I guess you are referring to the japanese forest?
Last edited by bitley on 19 Nov 2019, edited 1 time in total.

reggie1979
Posts: 1176
Joined: 11 Apr 2019

Post 19 Nov 2019

But what SPECIFICALLY do you get fined for doing. Sorry to be so dense but I don't understand.

User avatar
bxbrkrz
Posts: 1285
Joined: 17 Jan 2015

Post 19 Nov 2019

bitley wrote:
19 Nov 2019
The whole $42,530 fine thing scares me tremendously so I don't know what to do as a content creator really. It's disgusting. I'd ideally want all of my own videos to be OK'd manually one by one by certified personnel so I'd know. What did we all do wrong?

By the old scandal I guess you are referring to the japanese forest?
No I was referring to creepy videos targeting infants and very young children 3 years ago. I was wrong about that. No need to go there.
Here is the video regarding the FTC.


User avatar
bitley
Posts: 1285
Joined: 03 Jul 2015
Location: sweden

Post 19 Nov 2019

reggie1979 wrote:
19 Nov 2019
But what SPECIFICALLY do you get fined for doing. Sorry to be so dense but I don't understand.
Well I saw a PewDiePie video where he very very publicly mocked a child who had posted a video mocking him. It made me puke in my mouth to see a 30-year old guy do such a thing. Extremely tasteless. I'm sure that's not appropriate at all. But this calm and silent german guy with his Lego creations, what the hell has he done? I'd not have the slightest problem with my 8-year old kid watching a movie where that guy explains how it was / how he did to construct a space ship inspired by LL924 or something. That shit isn't simply just for adults god d...mn it. Every little kid on the street wants to find out about stuff like that. And why not? We have another favourite channel here where a guy restores super old toy cars to come out as brand new, those are amazing.
Last edited by bitley on 19 Nov 2019, edited 4 times in total.

User avatar
bxbrkrz
Posts: 1285
Joined: 17 Jan 2015

Post 19 Nov 2019

reggie1979 wrote:
19 Nov 2019
But what SPECIFICALLY do you get fined for doing. Sorry to be so dense but I don't understand.
Here's the video.

User avatar
bitley
Posts: 1285
Joined: 03 Jul 2015
Location: sweden

Post 19 Nov 2019

bxbrkrz wrote:
19 Nov 2019
bitley wrote:
19 Nov 2019
The whole $42,530 fine thing scares me tremendously so I don't know what to do as a content creator really. It's disgusting. I'd ideally want all of my own videos to be OK'd manually one by one by certified personnel so I'd know. What did we all do wrong?

By the old scandal I guess you are referring to the japanese forest?
No I was referring to creepy videos targeting infants and very young children 3 years ago. I was wrong about that. No need to go there.
Here is the video regarding the FTC.

Thanks – yeah I see a lot of 18-30 minute videos about this, my mind is set for a 30 sec video detailing everything in a super smart way, found any? :D

User avatar
bxbrkrz
Posts: 1285
Joined: 17 Jan 2015

Post 19 Nov 2019

bitley wrote:
19 Nov 2019
bxbrkrz wrote:
19 Nov 2019

No I was referring to creepy videos targeting infants and very young children 3 years ago. I was wrong about that. No need to go there.
Here is the video regarding the FTC.

Thanks – yeah I see a lot of 18-30 minute videos about this, my mind is set for a 30 sec video detailing everything in a super smart way, found any? :D
Maybe watching 30 min of video is worth the risk of not paying $42.5K? :puf_smile:

User avatar
bitley
Posts: 1285
Joined: 03 Jul 2015
Location: sweden

Post 19 Nov 2019

You are very very correct there of course ;) I might have to watch 10-20 of those even to get it... but I meant for the sake of this discussion here and now it'd be great to just take the shortcut method ;)

User avatar
bxbrkrz
Posts: 1285
Joined: 17 Jan 2015

Post 19 Nov 2019

bitley wrote:
19 Nov 2019
You are very very correct there of course ;) I might have to watch 10-20 of those even to get it... but I meant for the sake of this discussion here and now it'd be great to just take the shortcut method ;)
The video posted above is scary enough.

User avatar
bitley
Posts: 1285
Joined: 03 Jul 2015
Location: sweden

Post 19 Nov 2019

(I'll be silent and watch now, this guy is very good, thanks bx)

User avatar
bitley
Posts: 1285
Joined: 03 Jul 2015
Location: sweden

Post 19 Nov 2019

God damn, the logic is completely lost for me, I have a video of CZ-101 where I say it was my first synth, I've marked all my videos as not for kids, but the CZ-101 is ... if we're talking in general terms... a toy like instrument (it's small, right?). I don't at all understand why the penalty can reach you if you are discovered to have "adults-"marked a video which contains stuff a kid could enjoy. Has this guy gotten it all wrong? I'm getting tired right now but depressed as well. I loved having a youtube channel and bringing positive stuff about synths and stuff but what if... oh gee. I just remembered now that my video of demoing the JD-XA was shot next to my son's little Cars toy, that's something I discovered much later. I'm losing my mind.

User avatar
bxbrkrz
Posts: 1285
Joined: 17 Jan 2015

Post 19 Nov 2019

I doubt your video will be targeted for toys in the background. He's talking about the main video's subject and the giant void for misinterpretation in the eyes of the FTC's inspectors.
No need to panic.

User avatar
bitley
Posts: 1285
Joined: 03 Jul 2015
Location: sweden

Post 19 Nov 2019

Thanks, I had some videos rolling here to catch up on some general things and some videos were truly emotional as well. Poor guy who's been collecting toys but vintage toys, and he's not directing this to kids. I'll go to his channel and show my support because he looked as he was actually on the verge of crying because of all this; he's made friends on youtube and he doesn't dare to keep his channel. It seems to be his only social environment - really broke my heart. Personally I set some of my videos to "for kids" even though I'd never had that in mind before, such as the simple classic melody i multitracked on my Access Virus C demo. Looking forward to more insight and more comments about the whole thing.

User avatar
bitley
Posts: 1285
Joined: 03 Jul 2015
Location: sweden

Post 19 Nov 2019

Support this guy,



I think he came across as truly friendly and nice – a toy collector with loads of cool stuff in his collection. He must not disappear from internet, I think everyone who ever dared to start contributing and uploading must stay.

User avatar
bxbrkrz
Posts: 1285
Joined: 17 Jan 2015

Post 20 Nov 2019

Him and 10s of 1000s of channels like his.


reggie1979
Posts: 1176
Joined: 11 Apr 2019

Post 20 Nov 2019

Still do not understand. That one post, there was NO video. to be posted.

Youtube sucks, yes, in many ways I get that, but not here. I DON'T GET IT,

Yeah, children should be >>>>>>>>>>>>>> but what does it do with this? I don't get it.

User avatar
bitley
Posts: 1285
Joined: 03 Jul 2015
Location: sweden

Post 20 Nov 2019

It's about direct advertising and so but the entire thing is a mess, apparently the year is 1984.

User avatar
ShelLuser
Posts: 226
Joined: 25 Aug 2019

Post 20 Nov 2019

bxbrkrz wrote:
18 Nov 2019
Back to watching TV commercials again?
That video immediately starts with a misquote. Note how he says that "the FTC can fine..." while the article he quoted from clearly states that a court could decide for that punishment. So this isn't an issue of "just" getting fined, this is about getting prosecuted which could end with you having to pay the fine.

And even an organization as the FTC wouldn't simply sue 'because' for the simple reason that the costs of said court session will have to be paid by the loser.
--- :reason:
Using the 'Power' Trio: Live 10 Suite (+ Push & Max 8 ), Reason 10 and Maschine Mk3 (+ the ultimate Komplete 12).
Blog: SynthFan (under heavy construction!)

User avatar
bxbrkrz
Posts: 1285
Joined: 17 Jan 2015

Post 20 Nov 2019

ShelLuser wrote:
20 Nov 2019
bxbrkrz wrote:
18 Nov 2019
Back to watching TV commercials again?
That video immediately starts with a misquote. Note how he says that "the FTC can fine..." while the article he quoted from clearly states that a court could decide for that punishment. So this isn't an issue of "just" getting fined, this is about getting prosecuted which could end with you having to pay the fine.

And even an organization as the FTC wouldn't simply sue 'because' for the simple reason that the costs of said court session will have to be paid by the loser.
What is the difference between getting sued by the FTC, and getting a fine from them? Who got sued first, and who got a deal so that creators on the YT platform will have to pay for that platform's predatory behavior toward children?
How many 1000s of youtubers with barely enough money for a laptop and a webcam will be able to 'fight the system', without a $$$ lawyer?
I wouldn't be too surprised to see very big, major youtubers deleting their whole channel before 1.1.2020.

User avatar
bxbrkrz
Posts: 1285
Joined: 17 Jan 2015

Post 20 Nov 2019

bitley wrote:
20 Nov 2019
It's about direct advertising and so but the entire thing is a mess, apparently the year is 1984.
Apparently '1984' is used as a guide now, instead of an alert to our collective minds against a Dystopian Future.

User avatar
ShelLuser
Posts: 226
Joined: 25 Aug 2019

Post 20 Nov 2019

bxbrkrz wrote:
20 Nov 2019
What is the difference between getting sued by the FTC, and getting a fine from them?
The fact that a judge (and jury?) are going to look into the whole thing too, obviously.

See, "getting fined" to me means that they deem you guilty because "reasons" and thus send you a fine for you to pay. Like a cop giving you a ticket. This isn't simply getting fined, this is getting sued. The videos make it look as if you could get presented with a fine "just like that" which is obviously nonsense.

Which convinces me that there will be plenty of warnings and chances to defend yourself against this whole thing.

Problem is that I've heard such doom scenarios for Youtube over and over and over again and in the end nothing really changed unsurprisingly enough.
--- :reason:
Using the 'Power' Trio: Live 10 Suite (+ Push & Max 8 ), Reason 10 and Maschine Mk3 (+ the ultimate Komplete 12).
Blog: SynthFan (under heavy construction!)

  • Information
  • Who is online

    Users browsing this forum: CommonCrawl [Bot] and 0 guests