Do you ever finish tracks you don't really like?

This forum is for anything not Reason related, if you just want to talk about other stuff. Please keep it friendly!
TritoneAddiction
Posts: 1942
Joined: 29 Aug 2015
Location: Sweden

Post 09 Nov 2019

I've been working on a track for a while now which I'm not really into. I mean it's not terrible but I don't find it very interesting either. I consider it a filler track.
Sometimes I make the decision to finish these sort of tracks, because if nothing else, at least it's practise. I'm practising song writing, mixing, sound tweaking and arrangement.
I find there is a rewarding feeling to actually finishing a project even if I'm not super happy with the result.

What are your thoughts on this issue?

User avatar
MrFigg
Posts: 2989
Joined: 20 Apr 2018

Post 09 Nov 2019

No. Kind of like persevering to finish reading a book you don't like.

TritoneAddiction
Posts: 1942
Joined: 29 Aug 2015
Location: Sweden

Post 09 Nov 2019

Ok so I just finished my "filler" track. I know in my head there are ways I could try to enhance some parts more, but honestly this is as much time I'm willing to spend on this track.
Until a better name pops up in my head I'll go with the first thing that came to mind.

At least I got to play around with some new instruments from the R11 Suite, which is how this track started: Reason Electric Bass, Reason Drum Kits, Layers Wave Edition, Scenic.

Last edited by TritoneAddiction on 09 Nov 2019, edited 2 times in total.

User avatar
Loque
Posts: 6129
Joined: 28 Dec 2015

Post 09 Nov 2019

No, never. I might keep it for later use to steal a few ideas, because there normally some things i liked, but just went into the wrong direction.
:reason: 11, Win10 64Bit.

User avatar
dioxide
Posts: 1117
Joined: 15 Jul 2015

Post 09 Nov 2019

Yes. I don't know if it's a smart move (probably not) but I do it in order to learn something about arrangement. If it turns out okay it can always be used for a live track.

User avatar
guitfnky
Posts: 1433
Joined: 19 Jan 2015

Post 09 Nov 2019

sort of depends on how you define “a song you didn’t like”. there are lots of times I’ve started an idea that I realized I didn’t quite care for, but persevered and ended up happy with the song. I’ve never finished one that I didn’t like, including at the point where I considered it finished.

and there are songs I liked at the time that I no longer do, but I’m not sure that counts. 🙃

PhillipOrdonez
Posts: 608
Joined: 20 Oct 2017
Location: Colombia

Post 09 Nov 2019

Yeah, I do sometimes. It's a good exercise to finish as much as possible.

TritoneAddiction
Posts: 1942
Joined: 29 Aug 2015
Location: Sweden

Post 09 Nov 2019

Loque wrote:
09 Nov 2019
No, never. I might keep it for later use to steal a few ideas, because there normally some things i liked, but just went into the wrong direction.
Yeah that's seems like a reasonable approach.

User avatar
wendylou
Posts: 243
Joined: 15 Jan 2015
Location: Saint Joseph, MO

Post 09 Nov 2019

Although I save everything I create, I do have lots that are not worthy. I can complete and polish a few of those, but some are not worth the effort, as they were just experiments or exploration. Just this past week I have been wondering if the quick tracks I added to an inspiring rhythm track is salvageable as a song, as my first-pass track additions to that rhythm need to be completely redone. The idea and inspiration are there with the rhythm, but I need to start over on the rest. So I asked myself if it was worth the effort or just move on? Yet that rhythm has merit, and so now I'm doing the harder work. I may abandon it yet, but I thought it deserved some effort. Sometimes songs practically create themselves. Other times, I have to mold the clay until I'm happy. This one is the latter. Hmm, so I'll actually have to "work" at this one to make it into something... yikes! Even so, later, I may decide it's not worth it and let it sit in my graveyard collections of song starts! :puf_smile:
:PUF_balance: http://www.galxygirl.com -- :reason: user since 2002

User avatar
aeox
Posts: 2306
Joined: 23 Feb 2017

Post 09 Nov 2019

I can't even finish tracks that I DO like
Random songs/ideas go here:
https://soundcloud.com/ae-ox/polar/s-Ocxtj

User avatar
MrFigg
Posts: 2989
Joined: 20 Apr 2018

Post 09 Nov 2019

aeox wrote:
09 Nov 2019
I can't even finish tracks that I DO like
Jaaaaaaaa!!!!!!! Heja heja!!!!! Aeox!! Aeox!!
Tell it like it is man.

User avatar
hurricane
Posts: 910
Joined: 14 Oct 2017

Post 09 Nov 2019

I start off not liking all my tracks and it's such a struggle to keep going but it turns out ok when I finish. I am sure there is some lesson in there blah blah whatever.
https://soundcloud.com/hurricane-music
Mac mini (Late 2012) | Logic Pro X | Reason 10.4 | DX7 | DX7s | TX7 | CZ-1 | JP-8080 | Virus Classic | Roland XP-80/XP-30/RD-700 | Steinberg UR22mkII | Emagic AMT8 | Mackie SR24x4 | StudioLogic SL990 PRO

teddymcw
Posts: 285
Joined: 13 May 2016

Post 09 Nov 2019

Sure ya it’s good, but only if the elements of the track were worth the practice. Also, who are you to judge your own tracks? ;) someone else might think it’s eye bulgingly brilliant!

User avatar
GRB
Posts: 46
Joined: 07 May 2018

Post 09 Nov 2019

TritoneAddiction wrote:
09 Nov 2019
Ok so I just finished my "filler" track. I know in my head there are ways I could try to enhance some parts more, but honestly this is as much time I'm willing to spend on this track.
Until a better name pops up in my head I'll go with the first thing that came to mind.

At least I got to play around with some new instruments from the R11 Suite, which is how this track started: Reason Electric Bass, Reason Drum Kits, Layers Wave Edition, Scenic.

I like that song, can you tell me how did you do that guitar? I wish I could make a song like this abd call it a "filler" :puf_smile:
R11 Suite - Win10/64bit ASUS UX560ux (i7/24Gb/SSD) - Scarlett 2i4 - MAUDIO Oxygen 61 - JBL 305 MKII

User avatar
Kalm
Posts: 280
Joined: 03 Jun 2016
Location: Austin

Post 09 Nov 2019

Eventually I come back around to them months later and change it up. I made it originially cause there was SOMETHING I liked about it. I just take new things I learned and revitalize it
Courtesy of The Brew | Mac Mini Intel i7 Quad-Core | 8 GB RAM | Apple 1 TB & Samsung 850 EVO 250 GB | Reason 10 | Studio One 3 Professional | Ozone 7 | Pro Tools 12 | Adobe CC | Presonus FireStudio Project | M-Audio Axiom | And many plugs

User avatar
diminished
Posts: 1433
Joined: 15 Dec 2018

Post 09 Nov 2019

Kalm wrote:
09 Nov 2019
Eventually I come back around to them months later and change it up. I made it originially cause there was SOMETHING I liked about it. I just take new things I learned and revitalize it
this :)
:reason: Most recent track: The Test (feat. MrFigg) || Others: on my YouTube channel •ᴗ•

reggie1979
Posts: 1041
Joined: 11 Apr 2019

Post 09 Nov 2019

Shi-hit, I don't even finish tracks I DO like.............

TritoneAddiction
Posts: 1942
Joined: 29 Aug 2015
Location: Sweden

Post 10 Nov 2019

GRB wrote:
09 Nov 2019
TritoneAddiction wrote:
09 Nov 2019
Ok so I just finished my "filler" track. I know in my head there are ways I could try to enhance some parts more, but honestly this is as much time I'm willing to spend on this track.
Until a better name pops up in my head I'll go with the first thing that came to mind.

At least I got to play around with some new instruments from the R11 Suite, which is how this track started: Reason Electric Bass, Reason Drum Kits, Layers Wave Edition, Scenic.

I like that song, can you tell me how did you do that guitar? I wish I could make a song like this abd call it a "filler" :puf_smile:
Thanks, appreciate it. Like I said I don't "dislike" it. After all i thought it was "good enough" to make a full track out of it. Also I had already spent so much time on it, coming up with ideas and trying out things that it would just feel like a waste to throw it all away, just because it wasn't a personal favorite.
I guess my problem with it is that I don't feel like it has a clear musical direction/identity. It sounds alright but It's a bit all over the place imo. But we'll see, sometimes we need a bit of distance from our own music to properly assess it.

The "guitar" is a Grain patch run through Kuassas Creme amp. The effect chain order is somewhat unusual. It's Grain, delay, reverb, THEN distortion, which makes the sound pretty gritty sounding.

TritoneAddiction
Posts: 1942
Joined: 29 Aug 2015
Location: Sweden

Post 10 Nov 2019

reggie1979 wrote:
09 Nov 2019
Shi-hit, I don't even finish tracks I DO like.............
Yeah that's pretty much the reason I'd rather finish even "just ok" songs. Because the mindset of actually finishing tracks becomes a habit. Just as NOT finishing tracks can become a habit.
But sure I have plenty of bad 4 bar ideas that won't ever see the light of day.

User avatar
jam-s
Posts: 771
Joined: 17 Apr 2015
Location: Aachen, Germany

Post 10 Nov 2019

TritoneAddiction wrote:
09 Nov 2019
I can think of this track as BGM to a PC game (RTS maybe). It's not especially memorable, but also does not grab too much of your attention and thus would work as BGM.
If you're in Aachen, come and visit us at the Voidspace.

User avatar
Reasonable man
Posts: 427
Joined: 14 Jul 2016

Post 11 Nov 2019

As Jam said ..perfect gaming music Tritone deffo keep it. Terrific bassline & drums and a nice (is it a reveb delay feedback beig turned fully wet?) effect comming in and out. I like it.
I have never finished a track i dont like which explains why i tend not to finish tracks :roll:
Between learning and coping with outside influences and distractions its difficult. Sometimes life's distasters strike when you can least afford it and its not easy getting back to where you left off.

Yonatan
Posts: 820
Joined: 18 Jan 2015

Post 11 Nov 2019

I like the drive of the track, very well made. I get a feeling of it being in a cool video. So, in a way, it might need a sparring partner, in a game, a video with things happening in a certain pace that match, or a commercial. So, yes, it is worth finishing if this level is your "filler". I think this is a very typical track that might be just what you need at some later moment when you know where it will fit, and then use a part of the track or re-sculpt it for that particular project. So it nice to have pushed yourself to already done the main work. It has that sound quality and a coolness about it.
Are you usually doing instrumental music? A vocal part with lyrics or as already said, in video/game, it can fit like hand in a glove. Thanks for sharing!
Reason for all Seasons

TritoneAddiction
Posts: 1942
Joined: 29 Aug 2015
Location: Sweden

Post 11 Nov 2019

jam-s wrote:
10 Nov 2019
TritoneAddiction wrote:
09 Nov 2019
I can think of this track as BGM to a PC game (RTS maybe). It's not especially memorable, but also does not grab too much of your attention and thus would work as BGM.
Yeah I think you're right about it not being very memorable. That's probably why I prefer many of my other tracks. It's neither memorable melodically nor is it very memorable soundscape/style wise.

User avatar
Oquasec
Posts: 2520
Joined: 05 Mar 2017

Post 11 Nov 2019

Nope. I only finish stuff I feel like finishing.
Producer/Sound Designer.

reggie1979
Posts: 1041
Joined: 11 Apr 2019

Post 11 Nov 2019

TritoneAddiction wrote:
10 Nov 2019
reggie1979 wrote:
09 Nov 2019
Shi-hit, I don't even finish tracks I DO like.............
Yeah that's pretty much the reason I'd rather finish even "just ok" songs. Because the mindset of actually finishing tracks becomes a habit. Just as NOT finishing tracks can become a habit.
But sure I have plenty of bad 4 bar ideas that won't ever see the light of day.
It kinda sucks. I have some tracks that are really a-tuned to my ear. And yet as good as they are in that way, I don't "finish them" ............

  • Information
  • Who is online

    Users browsing this forum: CommonCrawl [Bot] and 1 guest