5 DANGEROUS Music Producer BEATMAKING Mistakes!

This forum is for anything not Reason related, if you just want to talk about other stuff. Please keep it friendly!
User avatar
reasonsuser88
Posts: 272
Joined: 29 Apr 2019

Post 23 Aug 2019

These are some pretty good points that are outside the box.

The time has come for you to take care and comb your hair. :wave:

reggie1979
Posts: 817
Joined: 11 Apr 2019

Post 23 Aug 2019

R u kidding me?

I tried, but it's like, WTF are you talking about????????????????????????????????

User avatar
O1B
Posts: 1617
Joined: 26 Jan 2015

Post 24 Aug 2019

Anything specific, Reggie? Or, are you just Generally confused?

I listened up to 'Don't stop the music while adding drums".... Seems sensible...
Where'd you get Lost, Reggie?
reggie1979 wrote:
23 Aug 2019
R u kidding me?

I tried, but it's like, WTF are you talking about????????????????????????????????

User avatar
reasonsuser88
Posts: 272
Joined: 29 Apr 2019

Post 24 Aug 2019

For the record, I'm not a mouth breather, but I thought that first point was hilariously ingenious. I struggle with the other four points though; especially the bit about being too much of an obsessive engineer or "scientist" as he calls it.
The time has come for you to take care and comb your hair. :wave:

TritoneAddiction
Posts: 1823
Joined: 29 Aug 2015
Location: Sweden

Post 24 Aug 2019

I get what he's saying about not letting the scientist/tweaker take over to early in the music making. I agree and disagree at the same time. I've tried both ways and I can't say one way is better than the other. It depends on what type of song I'm making.
Moving quickly and not stopping for tweaking can be beneficial if you want to focus on melodies and song structure imo.
But if the track you're making is very much dependent on a particular sound/vibe I think it works better to stop and tweak whenever you need to. Once you've tweaked one sound to sound great, the next added sound will build on that. Sometimes the notes are meaningless without the right sound anyway.

User avatar
reasonsuser88
Posts: 272
Joined: 29 Apr 2019

Post 24 Aug 2019

TritoneAddiction wrote:
24 Aug 2019
Moving quickly and not stopping for tweaking can be beneficial if you want to focus on melodies and song structure imo.
But if the track you're making is very much dependent on a particular sound/vibe I think it works better to stop and tweak whenever you need to. Once you've tweaked one sound to sound great, the next added sound will build on that. Sometimes the notes are meaningless without the right sound anyway.
You write some pretty intricate melodies though for your kind of music, and probably more so than anybody here, so I imagine you stopping quite a bit. Maybe you are secretly composing in half time and then increasing the global tempo? :D
The time has come for you to take care and comb your hair. :wave:

User avatar
diminished
Posts: 1157
Joined: 15 Dec 2018

Post 24 Aug 2019

I also can listen to something 50 times as much if it's somwhat nicely mixed. Being able to listen to it many times gives me more time to break out of the 16bar barrier, as well as a feeling of safety - I can go home to my initial idea once I'm done experimenting and always have a reference sound at hand.
Questions like "does that B section synth even fit in the song?" answer themselves instantly.

User avatar
reasonsuser88
Posts: 272
Joined: 29 Apr 2019

Post 24 Aug 2019

diminished wrote:
24 Aug 2019
I also can listen to something 50 times as much if it's somwhat nicely mixed.
I can relate and I think it's inspiring to have a better idea of the end result especially in a genre like techno which relies heavily on mixing. I'm finding a lot of people in the beatmaking field offer track outs as a purchase option for their beats. They are making music with the notion that a recording artist might want an engineer to mix instrumental stems with the vocals. I think this gives them more peace of mind concerning mixing issues when making music. The song isn't finished until long after they sell it for vocals so they relinquish that responsibility. The amateurs probably don't even think this way as I think it is a more advanced concept (amateurs just make crap no matter what) but it seems the people selling beats have a decent workflow.
The time has come for you to take care and comb your hair. :wave:

User avatar
boingy
Posts: 670
Joined: 01 Feb 2019

Post 24 Aug 2019

What an annoying man.

User avatar
reasonsuser88
Posts: 272
Joined: 29 Apr 2019

Post 24 Aug 2019

boingy wrote:
24 Aug 2019
What an annoying man.
I'm only an hour into his book The Prosperous Hip Hop Producer and I'm glad he did the narration for the Audible audio book. I should be able to squeeze in the rest of the five hours at work this weekend.

Image
The time has come for you to take care and comb your hair. :wave:

TritoneAddiction
Posts: 1823
Joined: 29 Aug 2015
Location: Sweden

Post 24 Aug 2019

reasonsuser88 wrote:
24 Aug 2019
TritoneAddiction wrote:
24 Aug 2019
Moving quickly and not stopping for tweaking can be beneficial if you want to focus on melodies and song structure imo.
But if the track you're making is very much dependent on a particular sound/vibe I think it works better to stop and tweak whenever you need to. Once you've tweaked one sound to sound great, the next added sound will build on that. Sometimes the notes are meaningless without the right sound anyway.
You write some pretty intricate melodies though for your kind of music, and probably more so than anybody here, so I imagine you stopping quite a bit. Maybe you are secretly composing in half time and then increasing the global tempo? :D
Thanks. Honestly for every year the less structured my workflow has become. At this point it's an absolute mess. But somehow it works for me.
I trial sounds, make beats, write melodies/riffs/chord progressions, mix, master, stop and tweak whatever needs to be tweaked, work on song structure, all at the same time. I just do whatever feels right in the moment and I don't think of them as seperate to each other.
And when I work on songs it's usually very short periods, like 5-30 minutes. It could be as simple as picking a cymbal sound, add some EQ and reverb to it, make it sit with rest of the instruments and the close Reason. The next time maybe I'll adjust the EQ on the snare and adjust the master bus compressor setting. Close Reason. It's a pretty ridiculous way of working. But do this over a period of time, build the track step by step, tweak a little there and change a note or two there and all of a sudden the track is finished.

reggie1979
Posts: 817
Joined: 11 Apr 2019

Post 24 Aug 2019

boingy wrote:
24 Aug 2019
What an annoying man.

Thank you.

He's just plugging himself like crazy.

I'll bet 10 bucks that his "beats" don't sound any different than anyone else.

reggie1979
Posts: 817
Joined: 11 Apr 2019

Post 24 Aug 2019

Call now, operators are standing buy and if you use the code "produca" you'll get a second FREE. Just pay shipping and handling

(sorry reasonuser88, that's just how it comes across to me)

User avatar
reasonsuser88
Posts: 272
Joined: 29 Apr 2019

Post 24 Aug 2019

reggie1979 wrote:
24 Aug 2019
(sorry reasonuser88, that's just how it comes across to me)
It ain't no offense to me. :lol: I subscribed to his website for twenty bucks and already have some valuable insight after just a few days.

Edit: I probably won't remain a subscriber though to be completely honest. His club is very interactive with community workshops. I can definitely see the value in that but it isn't for me.
Last edited by reasonsuser88 on 27 Aug 2019, edited 1 time in total.
The time has come for you to take care and comb your hair. :wave:

reggie1979
Posts: 817
Joined: 11 Apr 2019

Post 26 Aug 2019

The hyperbole of "dangerous" to talk about mouth breathers is ridiculous. I've literally never had that happen.

  • Information
  • Who is online

    Users browsing this forum: CommonCrawl [Bot] and 0 guests