Rush: Cinema Strangiato 2019

This forum is for anything not Reason related, if you just want to talk about other stuff. Please keep it friendly!
MarkTarlton

22 Aug 2019

Anybody else go? It was only playing for 1 night, and it looks like they are going to make it an annual thingy to have a new concert movie every year! I'll take it, since the band is in retirement now. Hoping for the Permanent Waves 40th anniversary footage for the next one!

Warning spoilers below:

I saw the movie last night. It was fun to be in a theater of other enthusiasts, probably one of my favorite parts of the night. The movie was fun, but my partner and I couldn't stop laughing at the amount of commercials that aired before the movie, she felt like she had heard the entire discography edited in over and over before the actual movie began, I kinda agree, but was still very anxious to get started. Hearing classics from Grace Under Pressure to the first Album was a joy, even though the editing was unsettling throughout the film. The sound of the interviews were horrible, and I could tell a lot of post production was done to save what they could. The other annoyance was the sound being edited within the different performances glued together that felt very disjointed. I feel it was way over compressed on the low end that it made the tom fills almost inaudible on most of my favorite songs. Neil played his ass off like he always does....this did not disappoint. I get why they are retired now, and I like many of you are sad to not be able to witness the amazing energy of Rush live ever again, but it is what it is...the audience isn't getting any younger either. It's trippy to have all those emotions of our youth be brought back and feel a sort of emotional time travel. I wanted to break into some air drumming but held off because I didn't want to hit my neighbor...haha! I just tapped my feet and fingers to all the timing intricacies...Xanadu, Jacob's Ladder, Hemispheres, Distant Early Warning, Subdivisions, Tom Sawyer, YYZ...I always have the drum tom fill in Xanadu from Exit Stage Left in my head so that was one tiny disappointment, but still such a tiny gripe in the overall arrangements. If you are a diehard Rush fan you need to see this. The audio quality is very heavy on the lows, and my god Neils kit was so freaking beautiful, he went back to the old school set up, and seeing it in metallic grey made me drool throughout the movie. It was also fun to see the stage deconstructed to the most minimal set ups as the chronology went backwards, even the light show too.
Last edited by MarkTarlton on 22 Aug 2019, edited 1 time in total.

Resonator

22 Aug 2019

Cool. I didn’t even know about the film. But I’m glad I saw them back in ‘94.

MarkTarlton

22 Aug 2019

Resonator wrote:
22 Aug 2019
Cool. I didn’t even know about the film. But I’m glad I saw them back in ‘94.
Counterparts was a great tour! I went too :)

• Information