How many subscriptions do you have? Anything

This forum is for anything not Reason related, if you just want to talk about other stuff. Please keep it friendly!
BRIGGS

17 Aug 2019

diminished wrote:
17 Aug 2019
BRIGGS wrote:
17 Aug 2019

Adobe can go kick rocks!!!

So glad I switched to GIMP!
Not an option for me unfortunately, but I still refuse to upgrade from the last non-subscription standalone versions of Lightroom and PS there are. Fuck subscriptions.
There you go kids!

Always vote with your wallet!!! :cool:
r11s

reasonsuser88

17 Aug 2019

BRIGGS wrote:
17 Aug 2019
4g unlimited data plan. I deliver food for a living.

Does car insurance count too? : )
Ah I see. I was recently having a private discussion about people like you with another RT member actually. Have you by chance ever taken somebody's food home by accident?
The time has come for you to take care and comb your hair. :wave:

BRIGGS

17 Aug 2019

reasonsuser88 wrote:
17 Aug 2019
BRIGGS wrote:
17 Aug 2019
4g unlimited data plan. I deliver food for a living.

Does car insurance count too? : )
Ah I see. I was recently having a private discussion about people like you with another RT member actually. Have you by chance ever taken somebody's food home by accident?
No, but if the diner is not home, the food ends up in the trash or in my belly! 😀
r11s

reasonsuser88

17 Aug 2019

Why do some people hold subscription services in such low regard? Is it because you feel like you are getting a bad deal or is it more of a nuisance? I can see how it would be less favorable to certain individuals who don't use such services very often but otherwise I don't understand the negativity. I think subscriptions are nice for people who are really grinding on something but subscriptions are not ideal for dabblers.

reasonsuser88

17 Aug 2019

reasonsuser88 wrote:
17 Aug 2019
BRIGGS wrote:
17 Aug 2019
No, but if the diner is not home, the food ends up in the trash or in my belly! 😀
:o A blatant confession! I once had an appetizer of fried shrimp missing from my order but I got everything else. How do you explain that one? :lol:

diminished
Competition Winner

17 Aug 2019

reasonsuser88 wrote:
17 Aug 2019
Why do some people hold subscription services in such low regard? Is it because you feel like you are getting a bad deal or is it more of a nuisance? I can see how it would be less favorable to certain individuals who don't use such services very often but otherwise I don't understand the negativity. I think subscriptions are nice for people who are really grinding on something but subscriptions are not ideal for dabblers.
Just imagine, suddenly, one day, you're out of your job. Money is super tight, no emergency fund, and you gotta cancel ALL those things. You know, because crippling credit card debt is even worse.
While some allow cancellation by the end of the month, others charge you at the end of the year/term and there's nothing you can do about it. These due payments will hit you hard.
And the worst thing? You can't use them any more. They're not yours. In terms of plugins, you're ripped of your tools and you can't even open your old projects any longer.

With a subscription, you're BOUND to the company that provides it. It's the very opposite of independence.

None of this would happen if they were yours, for offline use, in the first place. Paid with a one-time payment.
:reason: Most recent track: resentment (synthwave) || Others: on my YouTube channel •ᴗ•

reasonsuser88

17 Aug 2019

diminished wrote:
17 Aug 2019
Just imagine, suddenly, one day, you're out of your job. Money is super tight, no emergency fund, and you gotta cancel ALL those things. You know, because crippling credit card debt is even worse.
While some allow cancellation by the end of the month, others charge you at the end of the year/term and there's nothing you can do about it. These due payments will hit you hard.
And the worst thing? You can't use them any more. They're not yours. In terms of plugins, you're ripped of your tools and you can't even open your old projects any longer.

With a subscription, you're BOUND to the company that provides it. It's the very opposite of independence.

None of this would happen if they were yours, for offline use, in the first place. Paid with a one-time payment.
Well that's the very reason I don't have a phone plan and choose to pay as I go every month. Subscription services should allow you to cancel immediately without further charges and I could understand the possible frustration there. If I lost my job, I wouldn't feel comfortable spending time with such services anyways, and I should be trying to find more work ASAP to sustain my lifestyle. I guess this is something to think about as I get older with potential health problems on the horizon. I'm a pessimistic person myself but it doesn't have to be all doom and gloom.

diminished
Competition Winner

17 Aug 2019

reasonsuser88 wrote:
17 Aug 2019
If I lost my job, I wouldn't feel comfortable spending time with such services anyways, and I should be trying to find more work ASAP to sustain my lifestyle. I'm a pessimistic person myself but it doesn't have to be all doom and gloom.
That'd be the ideal situation, finding something new ASAP.

My point of view doesn't come from being a pessimistic person, though. I just want to be independent. A long time goal/dream of mine is my own solar house with a bit of land and a few chickens for free protein every day (eggs). This is a bit far stretched but just transfer that lifestyle/mindset to every aspect of life and you might see why subscriptions suck, at least for me.

Edit:typo
Last edited by diminished on 17 Aug 2019, edited 2 times in total.
:reason: Most recent track: resentment (synthwave) || Others: on my YouTube channel •ᴗ•

Reasonable man

17 Aug 2019

£30 per month for standard internet acess

...and a monthly magazine subsription for 'Big boobed foster mums'.

Thats it though

reasonsuser88

17 Aug 2019

diminished wrote:
17 Aug 2019
My point of view doesn't come from being a pessimistic person, though. I just want to be independant. A long time goal/dream of mine is my own solar house with a bit of land and a few chickens for free protein every day (eggs). This is a bit far stretched but just transfer that lifestyle/mindset to every aspect of life and you might see why subscriptions suck, at least for me.
Ah okay so licensing is just a piece of the puzzle. That makes more sense to me.

BRIGGS

17 Aug 2019

reasonsuser88 wrote:
17 Aug 2019
reasonsuser88 wrote:
17 Aug 2019
BRIGGS wrote:
17 Aug 2019
:o A blatant confession! I once had an appetizer of fried shrimp missing from my order but I got everything else. How do you explain that one? :lol:
:puf_bigsmile: Hey, if the diner is not home, the food belongs to the driver.

As for your missing shrimp, I call foul play or a mistake. In that case, it could be the app company, restaurant, or the driver.
r11s

Karim
Competition Winner

17 Aug 2019

Just Amazon Prime .

( I canceled netflix and spotify but I'm waiting for upcoming Disney plus)

Jmax wrote:
16 Aug 2019
I"ve never been a subscription kind of guy. But that's changed this year. With everything up in the cloud, subscriptions are the way to go.
What do you guys/gals have?

1. Netflix (Premium 4k) (16.99 CND)
2. Amazon Prime (100 per year CND)
3. Spotify (10.99 CND)
4. Arcade (Output) (10 US?)
5. Loupcloud (my latest sub) (6.99 US)
Karim Le Mec : Dj/Producer/Label Owner ( :reason: 11.3+ R12  IMac 2016 21")
FOLLOW Karim Le Mec
https://www.youtube.com/user/lemecdj
https://karimlemec.weebly.com/
https://soundcloud.com/karimlemec
https://t.me/reasonstudiosworld

MrFigg
Competition Winner

17 Aug 2019

BRIGGS wrote:
17 Aug 2019

As for your missing shrimp, I call foul play or a mistake. In that case, it could be the app company, restaurant, or the driver.
As regards the fairness of eating other people’s food...Many years ago I worked in a high security unit for violent offenders. One day I opened one of the inmates doors to be told that as of that moment he was going on hunger protest. I told him that I thought that was excellent but that we should keep it as our secret. He could protest as long as he wanted and I could eat his dinner. Win win situation. That evening he ate his casserole. Oh well! Psychology :).
🗲 2ॐ ᛉ

BRIGGS

17 Aug 2019

MrFigg wrote:
17 Aug 2019
BRIGGS wrote:
17 Aug 2019

As regards the fairness of eating other people’s food...Many years ago I worked in a high security unit for violent offenders. One day I opened one of the inmates doors to be told that as of that moment he was going on hunger protest. I told him that I thought that was excellent but that we should keep it as our secret. He could protest as long as he wanted and I could eat his dinner. Win win situation. That evening he ate his casserole. Oh well! Psychology :).
Lolz!!! :lol:
r11s

reggie1979

17 Aug 2019

I like subs just fine. Most of them you can cancel at any time. As far as losing your job and not having the money, ok. But all those plugs you paid so handsomely for are just going to go up for sale for peanuts anyways.

gullum

18 Aug 2019

come to think about it, in a way I am subscribing to Reason too. because if I don't pay $129 every 2 years I don't have the newest version of reason

MannequinRaces

18 Aug 2019

gullum wrote:
18 Aug 2019
come to think about it, in a way I am subscribing to Reason too. because if I don't pay $129 every 2 years I don't have the newest version of reason
Nobody is holding you at gunpoint to upgrade man, lol! There’s really no need to keep up with the Jones’s unless you feel the upgrade is worth it, to you.

demt

18 Aug 2019

free spotify. free web. amazon prime 5 quid. im off to do sum window shoping
Reason 12 ,gear4 music sdp3 stage piano .nektar gxp 88,behringer umc1800 .line6 spider4 30
hear scince reason 2.5

gullum

18 Aug 2019

MannequinRaces wrote:
18 Aug 2019
gullum wrote:
18 Aug 2019
Nobody is holding you at gunpoint to upgrade man, lol! There’s really no need to keep up with the Jones’s unless you feel the upgrade is worth it, to you.
if I see no need to upgrade then that's when I cancel my subscription :D

tronam

19 Aug 2019

I used to have many, but slowly whittled them down to one:

1. Netflix

I barely watch it though, so I'll likely cancel that one too. As someone else here mentioned the hardest one to let go of was Adobe Creative Cloud for Lightroom and Photoshop, but I barely used them over the past 3 years so they became impossible to justify anymore. I miss out on a lot of new music and movie content, but I'm okay with just going out to the theater occasionally instead.
Music is nothing else but wild sounds civilized into time and tune.

adfielding

19 Aug 2019

Amazon Prime/Netflix here, though I'm thinking of taking a break from the latter as I'm not using it a whole lot at the moment, and the former is an annual payment.

I tend to prefer the "buy it, pay once, keep it" approach (or rent-to-own) with software, though I was using Output's Arcade for a project recently and it was super useful. I've paused my subscription until I feel like I need it again, but I was very impressed with it... and the pricing was very fair, I thought. Must admit, I've become a bit of an Output fanboy this past year or so :)

For me, I think it's a basic cash-flow thing - I like to keep my monthly payments down wherever possible so I know where I stand at any given time. I still use Spotify to check out new music and recommendations (which I think it excels at), but if I like an album I'd rather just buy it and (inevitably) rinse it. Personally, I think having access to everything at all times can sometimes make listening to music feel a bit daunting, so for general listening I prefer to just keep a curated local collection and not be inundated with choice.

edit: I guess if we're counting phone/TV/internet then, hey, add that to the list
Last edited by adfielding on 19 Aug 2019, edited 1 time in total.

reddust

19 Aug 2019

1. Apple Music
2. EastWest Composer Cloud
3. Pianote
4. DAZN

future-bit

19 Aug 2019

Last edited by future-bit on 07 Dec 2020, edited 1 time in total.

reasonsuser88

20 Aug 2019

Downloading Output Arcade right now to see what that is all about. First month is free. I'm already a fan of Output though after buying Exhale.

reggie1979

20 Aug 2019

reasonsuser88 wrote:
20 Aug 2019
Downloading Output Arcade right now to see what that is all about. First month is free. I'm already a fan of Output though after buying Exhale.
BTW, I liked your other avatar better :D

• Information