Why This Will Keep Happening

This forum is for anything not Reason related, if you just want to talk about other stuff. Please keep it friendly!
User avatar
bxbrkrz
Posts: 1296
Joined: 17 Jan 2015

Post 13 Aug 2019


User avatar
reasonsuser88
Posts: 272
Joined: 29 Apr 2019

Post 14 Aug 2019

This was an interesting approach. They are trying to pursuade people to listen to more interesting music but I don't have any qualms with artists using the same progression. People might front like they want something different, but on a deeper level, they want familiarity. There are exceptions but this is an objective game of broad strokes. There are greater examples of recycled content in society that are far more mundane like watching sports. Why do people watch the same game with the same ball and the same rules over and over again. That is an entire institution to be taken down though and they are more likely to play soccer (football) with my decapitated head.
The time has come for you to take care and comb your hair. :wave:

reggie1979
Posts: 1177
Joined: 11 Apr 2019

Post 14 Aug 2019

Well, what I want is for everything to NOT be rap :lol:

I mean, every commercial, every movie, every trailer, FFS it's even on ST Discovery! Kids shows, HGTV, it's a fooking plague!

Mix in something else once in a while.

User avatar
reasonsuser88
Posts: 272
Joined: 29 Apr 2019

Post 14 Aug 2019

reggie1979 wrote:
14 Aug 2019
Well, what I want is for everything to NOT be rap :lol:

I mean, every commercial, every movie, every trailer, FFS it's even on ST Discovery! Kids shows, HGTV, it's a fooking plague!

Mix in something else once in a while.
The time has come for you to take care and comb your hair. :wave:

User avatar
selig
Moderator
Posts: 8133
Joined: 15 Jan 2015

Post 14 Aug 2019

Damn, he couldn't even play the correct chords for If I Fell (Beatles) - not sure I buy into the rest of the argument 100%. This basic complaint has been around as long as there have been popular songs. It's just that with the advent of the recorder, then the advent of the internet where you can hear just about any song ever recorded, it's simply more obvious today that there are many songs that share chords/melodies.

That being said, I am ALL about finding unique chord progressions, and always appreciate hearing them in other's songs. But I also don't dismiss a good song because it uses a chord progression I've heard before - in fact, a sign it's good to me is that I initially do not recognize common chord progression, or even care what chords are being played. Either I like the song, or I don't!
Selig Audio, LLC

User avatar
diminished
Posts: 1580
Joined: 15 Dec 2018

Post 14 Aug 2019

selig wrote:
14 Aug 2019
Damn, he couldn't even play the correct chords for If I Fell (Beatles) - not sure I buy into the rest of the argument 100%.
To be fair, if he did play the right chords, the video would get striked for copyright infringement. It's that sad with YouTube.
It's intentional, I promise.
:reason: Most recent track: The Test (feat. MrFigg) || Others: on my YouTube channel •ᴗ•

reggie1979
Posts: 1177
Joined: 11 Apr 2019

Post 14 Aug 2019

reasonsuser88 wrote:
14 Aug 2019
reggie1979 wrote:
14 Aug 2019
Well, what I want is for everything to NOT be rap :lol:

I mean, every commercial, every movie, every trailer, FFS it's even on ST Discovery! Kids shows, HGTV, it's a fooking plague!

Mix in something else once in a while.
Great, the man who single handedly RUINED country music selling out to some random rapper :thumbs_down:

User avatar
diminished
Posts: 1580
Joined: 15 Dec 2018

Post 14 Aug 2019

:?
:reason: Most recent track: The Test (feat. MrFigg) || Others: on my YouTube channel •ᴗ•

User avatar
diminished
Posts: 1580
Joined: 15 Dec 2018

Post 14 Aug 2019

I'm - fal - lin'

Little - red cor - vette
:reason: Most recent track: The Test (feat. MrFigg) || Others: on my YouTube channel •ᴗ•

reggie1979
Posts: 1177
Joined: 11 Apr 2019

Post 14 Aug 2019

I agree with much of this video. Especially the suggestion that it's all blending together and people buy what is popular because it's what they are used to.

I don't think it's ever been different though, it's just that now everyone is so hyper plugged in that there are more people voicing opinions. To me the lawsuit is retarded. If there was any merit to it, rappers and country artists would spend all their time in court suing each other (which the people who invented the way overused "amen beat" haven't received anything over)

Uggg, this planet sucks.

reggie1979
Posts: 1177
Joined: 11 Apr 2019

Post 14 Aug 2019

diminished wrote:
14 Aug 2019
I'm - fal - lin'

Little - red cor - vette
I've just served you with a lawsuit.

reggie1979
Posts: 1177
Joined: 11 Apr 2019

Post 14 Aug 2019

diminished wrote:
14 Aug 2019
:?
Not sure what that means but billy ray virus did that achy breaky heart crap way back when and country became pop. Now all pop is poop and people are being sued because there doing what have been done for eternity.

User avatar
selig
Moderator
Posts: 8133
Joined: 15 Jan 2015

Post 14 Aug 2019

diminished wrote:
14 Aug 2019
selig wrote:
14 Aug 2019
Damn, he couldn't even play the correct chords for If I Fell (Beatles) - not sure I buy into the rest of the argument 100%.
To be fair, if he did play the right chords, the video would get striked for copyright infringement. It's that sad with YouTube.
It's intentional, I promise.
And yet, every other song they played was played correctly…hmmm, was that unintentional?
Selig Audio, LLC

User avatar
reasonsuser88
Posts: 272
Joined: 29 Apr 2019

Post 14 Aug 2019

The kids like to say that music is a drug and there is truth to that idea based on how music affects the brain. If you find a good formula for a drug then why would you want to change it? That would be a fool's errand or something for a mad scientist. People don't consume soley for the musical content anyways because there is the expansion of ideas beyond the building blocks.
The time has come for you to take care and comb your hair. :wave:

User avatar
diminished
Posts: 1580
Joined: 15 Dec 2018

Post 14 Aug 2019

selig wrote:
14 Aug 2019
And yet, every other song they played was played correctly…hmmm, was that unintentional?
Beatles songs, unlike the usual copyright strikes where it's "just" the ad revenue that goes to the copyright holder, are taken down.
Here's David Bennett on the matter (link goes directly to minute 1:45)


Rick Beato has for a long time now given up on ad revenue from Youtube, so he earns his money by selling his book and other stuff. But he does not want to have his videos taken down.
:reason: Most recent track: The Test (feat. MrFigg) || Others: on my YouTube channel •ᴗ•

reggie1979
Posts: 1177
Joined: 11 Apr 2019

Post 14 Aug 2019

I think early Beatles songs mostly sound the same.

User avatar
motuscott
Posts: 1685
Joined: 16 Jan 2015
Location: the new york

Post 14 Aug 2019

My country tis of thee..
Holey moley! Where did all these lawyers come from?
Sometimes a cigar is just a synth that's on fire

reggie1979
Posts: 1177
Joined: 11 Apr 2019

Post 14 Aug 2019

Exactly.

User avatar
selig
Moderator
Posts: 8133
Joined: 15 Jan 2015

Post 15 Aug 2019

diminished wrote:
14 Aug 2019
selig wrote:
14 Aug 2019
And yet, every other song they played was played correctly…hmmm, was that unintentional?
Beatles songs, unlike the usual copyright strikes where it's "just" the ad revenue that goes to the copyright holder, are taken down.
Here's David Bennett on the matter (link goes directly to minute 1:45)


Rick Beato has for a long time now given up on ad revenue from Youtube, so he earns his money by selling his book and other stuff. But he does not want to have his videos taken down.
OK, if you say so - but you can't copyright chords, so you can't infringe on playing chords. I just don't trust his ear, that's all. It was only one chord (the last one), and it would hardly allow you to say "it's not a beatles song" right after he says it's a beatles song!
Selig Audio, LLC

User avatar
demt
Posts: 877
Joined: 16 Sep 2016

Post 21 Aug 2019

crip crap hip hop whatever seems nasty backwards n retarded99% of the time its take em down with you music
there again nobody can run the beeb the way the beeb does and all the best musics on at 3 am
neutron; tb3; triggerfingerpro;3korg volca keys fm drums; kaos pad 3;zaquencer; akai mpk mini;2 zmx mixers; midiplus interface;16 channel behringer umc 1820 with ada8200 soundcard, arturia drumbrute.nektar p1,
hear scince reason 2.5

User avatar
reasonsuser88
Posts: 272
Joined: 29 Apr 2019

Post 21 Aug 2019

People tend to simplify things until they are actually in the mix of said things and realize how complicated those things are.
The time has come for you to take care and comb your hair. :wave:

User avatar
selig
Moderator
Posts: 8133
Joined: 15 Jan 2015

Post 22 Aug 2019

It may be worth noting there is a long history in the European music tradition ( don't know if this exists in other parts of the world or not) to use folk song melodies as the basis for variations in classical music. There is also the tradition in Ireland/Scotland to use folk song melodies over and over, only changing the words to tell the story of the day.

For example, "The Yellow Rose of Texas" is formerly known in Ireland as "Patsy Geary’s", and there are more examples I can't recall at the moment. The Irish band The Chieftains did a project where they played the original Irish tune followed by American musicians playing the more familiar/modern version.

TL/DR: there is a long history of using existing tunes/chords for new lyrics, especially in European music.
Selig Audio, LLC

User avatar
O1B
Posts: 1680
Joined: 26 Jan 2015

Post 22 Aug 2019

Sometimes, it's just a Rip-off.

... looks like a man's foot. - not that there's anything wrong with that!


User avatar
selig
Moderator
Posts: 8133
Joined: 15 Jan 2015

Post 22 Aug 2019

O1B wrote:
22 Aug 2019
Sometimes, it's just a Rip-off.

... looks like a man's foot. - not that there's anything wrong with that!

But a rip off of a "feel" of a track isn't technically copyright infringement, if that's what we're talking about. This is because you can only copyright the lyrics and melody, not the chords/track/feel.
(though judges sometimes get it wrong, of course)

Check out James Brown "Hot (I Need to be Loved)" vs David Bowie "Fame" as a classic example - and to be clear I'm not talking about sampling a track to make a new track…

Selig Audio, LLC

User avatar
O1B
Posts: 1680
Joined: 26 Jan 2015

Post 22 Aug 2019

I completely agree with you. Lyrics and Melody - not the feel/chords.

... fyi... those two riffs are the same 'GUY'
Guitarist Carlos Alomar, who created the borrowed riff and was a co-writer on "Fame", was briefly in James Brown's band in the late 1960s.
selig wrote:
22 Aug 2019
O1B wrote:
22 Aug 2019
Sometimes, it's just a Rip-off.
But a rip off of a "feel" of a track isn't technically copyright infringement, if that's what we're talking about. This is because you can only copyright the lyrics and melody, not the chords/track/feel.
(though judges sometimes get it wrong, of course)

Check out James Brown "Hot (I Need to be Loved)" vs David Bowie "Fame" as a classic example - and to be clear I'm not talking about sampling a track to make a new track…


  • Information
  • Who is online

    Users browsing this forum: CommonCrawl [Bot], Rising Night Wave and 3 guests