Katy Perry vs Flame Lawsuit

This forum is for anything not Reason related, if you just want to talk about other stuff. Please keep it friendly!
User avatar
boingy
Posts: 791
Joined: 01 Feb 2019

Post 02 Aug 2019

MrFigg wrote:
02 Aug 2019
Fuck it. I’m writing a song with ding ding ding pause in it. Bring it on muthahs!!!
If you had let me enter my 5.9 hour epic "More Cowbell Challenge" song you would have heard that very thing at about 5.8 hours. It's the very pinnacle of the composition. I teased with "ding ding ding (half pause) ding" at about 4.2 hours but that just adds to the huge impact when the pause finally gets resolved. But, no. You insisted all entries had to be 6.0 hours minimum. Well, I hope you have learned your lesson, matey. ;)

User avatar
bxbrkrz
Posts: 1296
Joined: 17 Jan 2015

Post 02 Aug 2019

How about this?
European Court Rules In Favor Of Kraftwerk In 20 Year-Long Copyright Dispute
https://www.billboard.com/biz/articles/ ... in-20-year

The future is not bright.

User avatar
MrFigg
Posts: 3211
Joined: 20 Apr 2018

Post 02 Aug 2019

boingy wrote:
02 Aug 2019
MrFigg wrote:
02 Aug 2019
Fuck it. I’m writing a song with ding ding ding pause in it. Bring it on muthahs!!!
If you had let me enter my 5.9 hour epic "More Cowbell Challenge" song you would have heard that very thing at about 5.8 hours. It's the very pinnacle of the composition. I teased with "ding ding ding (half pause) ding" at about 4.2 hours but that just adds to the huge impact when the pause finally gets resolved. But, no. You insisted all entries had to be 6.0 hours minimum. Well, I hope you have learned your lesson, matey. ;)
Well you did it first I guess so now you can sue me. Damn!!

reggie1979
Posts: 1177
Joined: 11 Apr 2019

Post 02 Aug 2019

(sorry I don't feel like muti quoting)

Oh, there is nothing new about it. Been going on forever, and not just music.

Sorry if I implied differently, I just get bent at things like this because music has become so "crossover" that it's all the same flavor so when I see this it evokes a "r u serious" reaction.

Whatever, something for the lawyers to do :lol:

User avatar
O1B
Posts: 1680
Joined: 26 Jan 2015

Post 02 Aug 2019

Looks like you've chosen Katey's side.

... Greedy Vultures...?
Have at it!
reasonsuser88 wrote:
02 Aug 2019
Funny thing is people are saying Joyful Noise sounds like a hip hop song titled This Is Why I'm Hot which was released a year prior to Joyful Noise. I'm more inclined to believe that a Christian rapper copied the delivery of a mainstream hit from another rapper but we probably won't hear anything more. Katy Perry supposedly tarnished a holy vibe with Illuminati symbolism but that portamento on the Joyful Noise synth makes me think these people aren't all that holy. Anyway, looks like Katy Perry's camp is forking out $2.78 million. May the Lord set fire to the riches obtained by greedy vultures.

reggie1979
Posts: 1177
Joined: 11 Apr 2019

Post 02 Aug 2019

I choose none of the above!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

User avatar
selig
Moderator
Posts: 8133
Joined: 15 Jan 2015

Post 03 Aug 2019

reggie1979 wrote:
02 Aug 2019
(sorry I don't feel like muti quoting)

Oh, there is nothing new about it. Been going on forever, and not just music.

Sorry if I implied differently, I just get bent at things like this because music has become so "crossover" that it's all the same flavor so when I see this it evokes a "r u serious" reaction.

Whatever, something for the lawyers to do :lol:

Again, I believe it's always been that way (with "the same flavor") it's just we didn't have recorded evidence of it until now. There's also the fact that information is moving around faster than ever today, so there may be more crossover going on only because there's more music going on and because it's being shared faster than previously possible.

As for the lawyers, modern music copyright law is also relatively new, in historical terms (100 years or so). Music, by comparison, is almost as old as humans themselves!
Selig Audio, LLC

User avatar
diminished
Posts: 1580
Joined: 15 Dec 2018

Post 03 Aug 2019

Here's Adam Neely's take on the matter:
:reason: Most recent track: The Test (feat. MrFigg) || Others: on my YouTube channel •ᴗ•

User avatar
reasonsuser88
Posts: 272
Joined: 29 Apr 2019

Post 03 Aug 2019

diminished wrote:
03 Aug 2019
Here's Adam Neely's take on the matter:
I like this presentation a lot more than Rick Beato's. I'm glad he mentioned that horrid portamento on Joyful Noise because I thought I was going crazy. The examples of other motifs was a great approach.

Expert Musicologist Todd Decker should be stripped of everything he has and sentenced to ten thousand years of busking on Venice Beach with a one-stringed mandolin from a thrift store.
The time has come for you to take care and comb your hair. :wave:

reggie1979
Posts: 1177
Joined: 11 Apr 2019

Post 03 Aug 2019

Well, at least the giant penis she used to have on stage was somewhat original.

User avatar
reasonsuser88
Posts: 272
Joined: 29 Apr 2019

Post 03 Aug 2019

I need an artist to create a crucifix of Katy Perry on a cross and I would hang it up in my room.
O1B wrote:
02 Aug 2019
Looks like you've chosen Katey's side.
The time has come for you to take care and comb your hair. :wave:

User avatar
Boombastix
Posts: 920
Joined: 18 May 2018
Location: Bay Area, CA

Post 03 Aug 2019

I think I will buy Midi-Riffer, write a script for it to spew out 1000 riffs per minute and post them on Soundcloud. I will probably cover enough combinations in a few weeks time to live as a law suit troll for the rest of my life, bwahahahah. :twisted:
10% off at Waves with link: https://www.waves.com/r/6gh2b0
Disclaimer - I get 10% as well.

reggie1979
Posts: 1177
Joined: 11 Apr 2019

Post 03 Aug 2019

reasonsuser88 wrote:
03 Aug 2019
I need an artist to create a crucifix of Katy Perry on a cross and I would hang it up in my room.
O1B wrote:
02 Aug 2019
Looks like you've chosen Katey's side.
(chuckles)

User avatar
Aosta
Posts: 294
Joined: 26 Jun 2017

Post 03 Aug 2019

Tend the flame

User avatar
reasonsuser88
Posts: 272
Joined: 29 Apr 2019

Post 03 Aug 2019

Aosta wrote:
03 Aug 2019
If you want messed up copyright issues then check these out
Those are messed up issues for sure and two songs that I really liked at some point.

The Katy Perry lawsuit isn't about sampling though. It's not about stealing a riff either because the riff is not the same. They claimed ownership to a musical concept. We can say $2.78 million isn't much in the big scheme of things but this is a matter of principle for me. This seems like a religious attack on artistic expression and a pathetic scavenger hunt. They went into this case claiming damages like anti-Christian witchcraft and Illuminati symbolism. Oh look at what they've done now.

There was a petition five years ago to have Katy Perry's video removed for offending Muslims and other religious people.

The time has come for you to take care and comb your hair. :wave:

reggie1979
Posts: 1177
Joined: 11 Apr 2019

Post 03 Aug 2019

I'm outraged.

DougalDarkly
Posts: 104
Joined: 31 Jul 2019

Post 03 Aug 2019

reasonsuser88 wrote:
03 Aug 2019
I need an artist to create a crucifix of Katy Perry on a cross and I would hang it up in my room.
I feel attacking Katy Perry is bit unwarranted - I think you're giving her, and artists like her, too much credit. I'm just guessing here, obviously, but I reckon Katy didn't 'write' anything, she doesn't own the copyright, she didn't start the lawsuit and she didn't choose the video concept or the costume she wore, either.

I believe she's just another brightly-coloured tool used by the corporate machine that is pop music - she may be up-front and even get a lot of money for her part in it, but they're behind her making way, way more from their 'investment'.

If I'm right and she didn't make any of the decisions (or the music) how can she be the one blamed? It's the no-name c*nts in grey suits (like that Allen Klien guy in the previous post) that are really to blame, no?

If I'm wrong and she is the architect of it all, then apart from at least giving her credit for 'sticking it' to the patriarchy, we should all crucify away :D

User avatar
reasonsuser88
Posts: 272
Joined: 29 Apr 2019

Post 03 Aug 2019

DougalDarkly wrote:
03 Aug 2019
I feel attacking Katy Perry is bit unwarranted - I think you're giving her, and artists like her, too much credit.
Oh that wasn't an attack and actually quite the opposite. Religious people crucified Jesus Christ for his works yet the symbolism of the crucifix is held in high regard today by followers of Christianity. I'm not a fan of her music but Katy Perry has become a martyr of creative freedom for me especially if this initiates reform concerning copyright issues. The Katy Perry crucifix represents short term suffering for creative freedom so that we might have eternal life in the rabbit hole.
The time has come for you to take care and comb your hair. :wave:

DougalDarkly
Posts: 104
Joined: 31 Jul 2019

Post 03 Aug 2019

reasonsuser88 wrote:
03 Aug 2019
Katy Perry has become a martyr of creative freedom for me especially if this initiates reform concerning copyright issues.
I apologise for not understanding your point - the tone of the thread confused me, and it's late - forgive me (no Jesus pun intended).

And, now that I do understand, I completely agree with you :)

reggie1979
Posts: 1177
Joined: 11 Apr 2019

Post 03 Aug 2019

I feel attacking KP is TOTALLY warranted. Especially considering the context of this lawsuit! Giant penis prop be dammed, she is the spawn of SATAN !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

reggie1979
Posts: 1177
Joined: 11 Apr 2019

Post 05 Aug 2019

I kissed a girl and didn't like it.

reggie1979
Posts: 1177
Joined: 11 Apr 2019

Post 05 Aug 2019

Oh shit, she might sue me now!

User avatar
raymondh
Posts: 1237
Joined: 15 Jan 2015

Post 06 Aug 2019

Win 10 64-bit | :reason: 10 | Scarlet 18i8 | M-Audio Code 61 | KRK VXT-6 | JX-8P | System-8 | D-05 | JP-08 | Sirin
www.soundcloud.com/raymondhayter

User avatar
dioxide
Posts: 1117
Joined: 15 Jul 2015

Post 07 Aug 2019

Just listening to Sonic Talk's take on this. I think they're completely wrong, it sounded very similar to me. As such the person who made the original beat should be credited as a joint writer of the track. Even though it isn't the main part of the track, they contributed as much as if they were present in the studio as a collaborator. Likewise with the Kraftwerk case.

  • Information
  • Who is online

    Users browsing this forum: CommonCrawl [Bot], Rising Night Wave and 3 guests