Mix fixing videos

This forum is for anything not Reason related, if you just want to talk about other stuff. Please keep it friendly!
tobypearce

28 Jul 2019

Hi,

I'd love to see some videos of a good mixer fixing a bad mix. It would be fun to see what steps they go through and how they approach it. Most of the mixing videos around seem to start from mixes that are already pretty good, and this - how can I say this? - doesn't always help me with my own mixes.....

Does anyone know of any?
https://onetrackperweek.com
One year - 52 tracks - Electronic Dance Music

Jagwah

02 Aug 2019

tobypearce wrote:
28 Jul 2019
Does anyone know of any?
Hi good question.

Here are some from Bennedict Roff Marsh (big Reason user and content creator, just not on this forum much).

This one is a mix of a producer's track who has never tried mixing before:

Here is one with a problematic mix that he fixes:

Bennedict just suggested that you can submit a track of your own to feature on that same program and you can watch him explain it as he mixes it. :)

You should check out his channel, all Reason and excellent content especially for people like you and me :D

Edit - sorry it seems you been at producing for a some time, hope I didn't imply that you're a noob :O
Last edited by Jagwah on 02 Aug 2019, edited 1 time in total.

selig
RE Developer

02 Aug 2019

tobypearce wrote:
28 Jul 2019
Hi,

I'd love to see some videos of a good mixer fixing a bad mix. It would be fun to see what steps they go through and how they approach it. Most of the mixing videos around seem to start from mixes that are already pretty good, and this - how can I say this? - doesn't always help me with my own mixes.....

Does anyone know of any?
My thoughts:
I've never been able to "fix" a bad mix, I've always needed to reset and start over from scratch. It can take longer to figure out what's going on and fix it than to just mix it. Most mixers are skilled at starting from scratch, but have little if any experience in jumping into the middle of someone else's mix - and even when that happens, it's more often a decent mix that just needs some minor tweaks, and not a 'bad' mix.

Another issue is the time involved - even just the mixing part takes many hours. If you stop to explain what you're doing, it takes even longer. I've created videos for folks when I was mixing/remixing, and they are many hours long. Best to break them up in smaller chunks, with discussion between them IMO.

Probably the best way to do this is on an individual basis, because so much about mixing is genre and artist specific. Then there's your room and the plugins you have available. The very best situation is to go into the artists studio and show them how you would mix THEIR track in THEIR studio with THEIR tools. That's the absolute best way to help you with YOUR mixes!

That's not to say videos are not helpful, they are. But I also wanted to mention other options in case they would possibly be available to you.
Selig Audio, LLC

PhillipOrdonez

02 Aug 2019

I regret starting watching that video with that "tech House" track. What a shit track. 😞

• Information