Does age matter?

This forum is for anything not Reason related, if you just want to talk about other stuff. Please keep it friendly!
Ichooselife

30 Aug 2023

reading all
these old posts makes me wanna commit suicide so much time wasted

jam-s

30 Aug 2023

Ichooselife wrote:
30 Aug 2023
reading all
Please, have a look at your nickname and try again. Thanks. :?

Ichooselife

30 Aug 2023

jam-s wrote:
30 Aug 2023
Ichooselife wrote:
30 Aug 2023
reading all
Please, have a look at your nickname and try again. Thanks. :?
haha

integerpoet

30 Aug 2023

sleep1979 wrote:
29 Jun 2019
If you have the show the music will they come will it matter? i’m approaching 40
At age 23, one has a 0.000001% greater chance of becoming a hit-maker than at 40.

But this doesn't make your chances good at 40. :-)

aeox
Competition Winner

31 Aug 2023

Maybe you're a late bloomer

Marco Raaphorst

31 Aug 2023

you'll get wiser and better at it

motuscott

31 Aug 2023

Haste makes waste. I'll be hitting peak popularity during the 2030's.
I'll also be dead, so it all works out.
Who’s using the royal plural now baby? 🧂

miyaru

01 Sep 2023

I'm approaching the 59 this winter, and still feel young. Especially at mind, my body tells me once in a while when I wake up that 58 is 58.....LOL.

Still making music, enjoying it. Also still riding my Yamaha XJR 1200 Motorbike and having fun!!!

Greetings from Miyaru.
Prodaw i7-7700, 16Gb Ram, Focusrite Scarlett 18i20 3rd gen, ESI M4U eX, Reason12, Live Suit 10, Push2, Presonus Eris E8 and Monitor Station V2, Lexicon MPX1,
Korg N1, Yamaha RM1x :thumbup:

miyaru

01 Sep 2023

Marco Raaphorst wrote:
31 Aug 2023
you'll get wiser and better at it
That is also true, and hello to a fellow Dutchman!!!!
Greetings from Miyaru.
Prodaw i7-7700, 16Gb Ram, Focusrite Scarlett 18i20 3rd gen, ESI M4U eX, Reason12, Live Suit 10, Push2, Presonus Eris E8 and Monitor Station V2, Lexicon MPX1,

Thousand Ways

02 Sep 2023

Age certainly makes a difference if you make music with other people. Between the ages of 15 and 34ish I was in one band or another, or sometimes more than one at a time. Once you hit 30 it's much harder to sustain this, because most people of your own age have buggered off and got themselves jobs, or have got married, and/or they have spawned. Suddenly their time is no longer their own, and that's the end of it. At that point you become a solo artist, which is perhaps less hassle but is also less fun.

Marco Raaphorst

03 Sep 2023

Yes, it's hard to maintain a band when you grow older which is not super successful. And hard to start a new one. I wanted to start a new band and was not able to do so. Maybe one day...

miyaru

04 Sep 2023

Thousand Ways wrote:
02 Sep 2023
Age certainly makes a difference if you make music with other people. Between the ages of 15 and 34ish I was in one band or another, or sometimes more than one at a time. Once you hit 30 it's much harder to sustain this, because most people of your own age have buggered off and got themselves jobs, or have got married, and/or they have spawned. Suddenly their time is no longer their own, and that's the end of it. At that point you become a solo artist, which is perhaps less hassle but is also less fun.
Playing in bands is a passed point in time for me. To much investment in time and money, often for nothing.

I would play bass if I was in a band. I have to buy new gear, completely other gear, like in ear stuff, and maybe some amplification. The bass stuff I own now is not bad but old and heavy. The amp does not deliver enough for my live needs, it is an Eden WT 300 with the Jim Demeter pre amp and 300 watts into 4 Ohm. My cab is a Mesa Engineering Powerhouse LTD edition 2 x 10 inch which weights 75 pounds.

My knees and back won’t be happy lugging all the stuff ‘round 😆……

Beside that, I love working alone. I do not miss it, and if I’m in the mood for playing together I join a jamsession.
Greetings from Miyaru.

Marco Raaphorst

04 Sep 2023

One thing that annoys me also: playing while old people are dancing. Sure, it is lovely that people are dancing which is a nice way to life. But most people are dancing so old and annoying I don't want to see it.

Dutch musician Henny Vrienten, which I worked with (great guy!), stopped playing live when he found out his fans were like 8,9, 10 years old when he was like 35... kept him from playing live for many years.

I still like seeing bands perform. But I am very happy to be a podcast makers, sound designer, with a very young audience appreciating my work. THAT keeps me young :)

Ichooselife

04 Sep 2023

Marco Raaphorst wrote:
04 Sep 2023
One thing that annoys me also: playing while old people are dancing. Sure, it is lovely that people are dancing which is a nice way to life. But most people are dancing so old and annoying I don't want to see it.

Dutch musician Henny Vrienten, which I worked with (great guy!), stopped playing live when he found out his fans were like 8,9, 10 years old when he was like 35... kept him from playing live for many years.

I still like seeing bands perform. But I am very happy to be a podcast makers, sound designer, with a very young audience appreciating my work. THAT keeps me young :)
sounds a bit ageist marco tbh ? not sure if you worded it correctly
i would love some older people bopping around to music
young people are usually into trends, so i don’t really get you here , id rather a mix of older people and youngsters as just having young people there would make me feel OLD !

motuscott

04 Sep 2023

I too have gone strictly Steely Dan. Loved gigging live and had a few decades of it, but I think if I had to pack up my drums and haul them upstairs to a "nightclub" my back would be out before I played note one. DAWs came into being perfectly timed to my physical obsolescence. I am one happy Reason camper.
Who’s using the royal plural now baby? 🧂

Marco Raaphorst

04 Sep 2023

Steely Dan! playing bebop over rock music. I love it. wanna play guitar in that band but living in Holland... :)

Ichooselife

04 Sep 2023

i swear there was another comment

Thousand Ways

04 Sep 2023

I should probably have mentioned that when I used to play live with bands, we nearly always used a drum machine, or several drum machines. We went to gigs by Underground. Other bands on the bill would be lugging drumkits and amps in from their vans, and we'd turn up with all our gear in carrier bags. Before every gig I would get phone calls from the other bands on the bill:
Them: "Can we use your drum kit? Can we use your bass drum? Can we borrow your crash cymbal?".
Us: "We don't use any of those."
Them: [brain implodes, as though they've never heard of "drum machines", "synthesizers", "samplers", or just playing without any drums.]
Marco Raaphorst wrote:
04 Sep 2023
Quite surprised to hear that coming from Holland. My experiences of European cities, especially Berlin and Amsterdam, is that there's a much wider range of people dancing, and it isn't considered weird for 60-year-olds to be on the dancefloor at the same time as 10-year-olds. Much more open than head-up-arse venues here in the UK, certainly.

Ichooselife

04 Sep 2023

Thousand Ways wrote:
04 Sep 2023
I should probably have mentioned that when I used to play live with bands, we nearly always used a drum machine, or several drum machines. We went to gigs by Underground. Other bands on the bill would be lugging drumkits and amps in from their vans, and we'd turn up with all our gear in carrier bags. Before every gig I would get phone calls from the other bands on the bill:
Them: "Can we use your drum kit? Can we use your bass drum? Can we borrow your crash cymbal?".
Us: "We don't use any of those."
Them: [brain implodes, as though they've never heard of "drum machines", "synthesizers", "samplers", or just playing without any drums.]
Marco Raaphorst wrote:
04 Sep 2023
Quite surprised to hear that coming from Holland. My experiences of European cities, especially Berlin and Amsterdam, is that there's a much wider range of people dancing, and it isn't considered weird for 60-year-olds to be on the dancefloor at the same time as 10-year-olds. Much more open than head-up-arse venues here in the UK, certainly.
your being very nice about it mate tbh , “i don’t enjoy looking at old people “ i wonder if they enjoy looking at him ? 😂

i don’t
think it’s a dutch thing i think it’s a silly person thing .

Ichooselife

04 Sep 2023

Marco Raaphorst wrote:
04 Sep 2023
Steely Dan! playing bebop over rock music. I love it. wanna play guitar in that band but living in Holland... :)
where old people jump off cliffs at a certain age ?

aka midsommar

Marco Raaphorst

04 Sep 2023

it is the way they dance. don't blaim them, it's good that they do it. you better dance than sit down. but it doesn't look good to me.

I love Brazilian music. and these people can dance in an esthetic way.

love going to modern dance as well. I love dance. good dancing creates tears in my eyes.

rorystorm

05 Sep 2023

Ichooselife wrote:
04 Sep 2023
Yeh that was me, I said something rude to the Trollfarm McIncelbot that was the OP, and got modded. Fair but I don't regret it.

Ichooselife

05 Sep 2023

rorystorm wrote:
05 Sep 2023
Ichooselife wrote:
04 Sep 2023
Yeh that was me, I said something rude to the Trollfarm McIncelbot that was the OP, and got modded. Fair but I don't regret it.
i thought what u said was just
mate , the guy is old himself , i think the fact he only likes young people into his music is strange , and pure ageism , someones nan dancing around is a fun occurance at party’s / weddings etc , and to have someone to look at that and think nah , or have a audience of people and think nah i don’t like it , guys a strange one , sorry but on a post like ,does age matter , “i dont like looking at old people at my gigs ? that is trolling , and what age is old people to you marc ? over 30? id really like to know ?

Ichooselife

05 Sep 2023

Marco Raaphorst wrote:
04 Sep 2023
it is the way they dance. don't blaim them, it's good that they do it. you better dance than sit down. but it doesn't look good to me.

love going to modern dance as well. I love dance. good dancing creates tears in my eyes.
you probably don’t look good to most people , why does it matter how people dance ?
you should be thankful that someone is coming to watch
grateful to these people

Ichooselife

05 Sep 2023

Marco Raaphorst wrote:
04 Sep 2023

can you dance ? do they care if you look at them
? so you like going to clubs and look at young people fine , but don’t single out old people when your getting old yourself pal , because the youngsters your staring at are probably thinking , who is this old git staring at 😂

• Information