Propellerheads wont transfer REs. Is this legal?

This forum is for anything not Reason related, if you just want to talk about other stuff. Please keep it friendly!
orthodox
RE Developer

28 Dec 2019

JiggeryPokery wrote:
28 Dec 2019
regardless of whether "no transfers of REs" is legal or not, I don't think it matters enough to be beneficial to anyone.
This is what I thought, but hesitated to say.

Proponents of RE transfers are those who want to get a refund for some stuff they recklessly bought at some point and those who would like to get a discount for buying second hand stuff. The obvious losers would be RS and RE developers, because the secondary market would bring down the RS Shop, and the users will suffer, too, as a result.

diminished
Competition Winner

28 Dec 2019

orthodox wrote:
28 Dec 2019
JiggeryPokery wrote:
28 Dec 2019
regardless of whether "no transfers of REs" is legal or not, I don't think it matters enough to be beneficial to anyone.
This is what I thought, but hesitated to say.

Proponents of RE transfers are those who want to get a refund for some stuff they recklessly bought at some point and those who would like to get a discount for buying second hand stuff. The obvious losers would be RS and RE developers, because the secondary market would bring down the RS Shop, and the users will suffer, too, as a result.
Like furniture manufacturers saying their customers recklessly bought their chairs when they offer them on craigslist after they don't need them anymore / found more beautiful ones? I have yet to meet such a company.
The developer, the distributor and the state already got their cut from the initial purchase and the customer paid for it, for lifetime use if the world as we know it keeps on turning. If the customers deem their purchase no longer necessary, they should have the right to pass it on. Wether it's for money or not should be up to them. The problem is that it's bound to their account without the option of authorizing their copy outside of the realm of Codemeter and RS servers. And they won't even allow the transfer of accounts including all REs.
Please tell me, developers, where would be the harm in that (= transfer accounts including all purchases to someone else)?
:reason: Most recent track: resentment (synthwave) || Others: on my YouTube channel •ᴗ•

orthodox
RE Developer

28 Dec 2019

diminished wrote:
28 Dec 2019
Like furniture manufacturers saying their customers recklessly bought their chairs when they offer them on craigslist after they don't need them anymore / found more beautiful ones? I have yet to meet such a company.
Examples from the material world are irrelevant. Physical products are susceptible to degradation.
diminished wrote:
28 Dec 2019
The developer, the distributor and the state already got their cut from the initial purchase and the customer paid for it, for lifetime use if the world as we know it keeps on turning. If the customers deem their purchase no longer necessary, they should have the right to pass it on. Wether it's for money or not should be up to them.
That's a disputable question. Why should they have the right?
diminished wrote:
28 Dec 2019
The problem is that it's bound to their account without the option of authorizing their copy outside of the realm of Codemeter and RS servers.
It's not a problem, it's part of the conditions of the deal they accepted. They knew it when they purchased the REs.
diminished wrote:
28 Dec 2019
Please tell me, developers, where would be the harm in that (= transfer accounts including all purchases to someone else)?
Nobody would be able to sell a thing via the Reason Shop anymore. The market grows very slowly compared to the amount of stuff users have collected that they are ready to get rid of.

gdm41

28 Dec 2019

@orthodox

Your argumentation sounds logic but it isn´t because you can already sell/transfer your reason license. The market didnt break and the users didnt suffer.
Start lending-> http://www.kiva.org

orthodox
RE Developer

28 Dec 2019

gdm41 wrote:
28 Dec 2019
@orthodox

Your argumentation sounds logic but it isn´t because you can already sell/transfer your reason license. The market didnt break and the users didnt suffer.
I don't know how Reason sells, of course, but this case seems entirely different to me. Reason is not a petty toy you would exchange for another one, it's a platform users are bound to. I guess not so many users are ready to leave Reason for another DAW.

tt_lab

28 Dec 2019

orthodox wrote:
28 Dec 2019

It's not a problem, it's part of the conditions of the deal they accepted. They knew it when they purchased the REs.
The thing is, that even if you agree to something that is not legal it doesn't become legal all the sudden. I can sign you a contract paper or else that claims that you can kill me and you'd still go to jail.(I'm thinking in some recent cases about euthanasia for instance)

orthodox
RE Developer

28 Dec 2019

tt_lab wrote:
28 Dec 2019
The thing is, that even if you agree to something that is not legal it doesn't become legal all the sudden. I can sign you a contract paper or else that claims that you can kill me and you'd still go to jail.(I'm thinking in some recent cases about euthanasia for instance)
The thing is, it was not forbidden, thus perfectly legal at the time of the deal. Now you can rule that it's illegal, but it cannot be ex post facto.

• Information