Poll: Which of these common forum answers do you hate the most?

This forum is for anything not Reason related, if you just want to talk about other stuff. Please keep it friendly!

Which of these common forum answer do you hate the most?

Poll ended at 19 Jun 2019

If you need it buy it. If you don’t then don’t.
22%
Why don’t you just trial it?
9%
RTFM.
19%
I actually use some or all of these replies myself.
13%
None of the above.
38%

Total votes: 32
MrFigg
Competition Winner

12 Jun 2019

I get riled up by all of these being used as replies to people on the forum asking genuine questions. In my opinion they are unhelpful and even arrogant or disrespectful, serving no purpose other than to demean the person asking or to make the replier feel superior. Not the way I think people should treat each other in any case. Please note, this does not apply to the majority of users here who do go out of their way to help when a question arises.
Which do you hate seeing the most? If they are answers you use yourself when people ask questions, well there’s an checkbox there for you too. No one forgotten. No one excluded. :).
Last edited by MrFigg on 12 Jun 2019, edited 5 times in total.
🗲 2ॐ ᛉ

djadalaide

12 Jun 2019

People forget, we live in a capitalist society, not a direct democracy - and, the way people vote is with their money.

They can talk as much as they want and speak their opinion, but mostly, it falls on deaf ears.

If a company releases x product and you complain about it, its wasted energy as far as i'm concerned.

Its already released, the voting is via your wallet.

Which is why getting riled up by these answers is kind of silly, but, go on, debate as much as you like whether they should release this or that.

End of the day, it won't make one bit of difference.

Saying what you do want instead of what you don't want is a lot more constructive and useful to everyone.

MrFigg
Competition Winner

12 Jun 2019

djadalaide wrote:
12 Jun 2019
People forget, we live in a capitalist society, not a direct democracy - and, the way people vote is with their money.

They can talk as much as they want and speak their opinion, but mostly, it falls on deaf ears.

If a company releases x product and you complain about it, its wasted energy as far as i'm bconcerned.

Its already released, the voting is via your wallet.

Which is why getting riled up by these answers is kind of silly, but, go on, debate as much as you like whether they should release this or that.

End of the day, it won't make one bit of difference.

Saying what you do want instead of what you don't want is a lot more constructive and useful to everyone.
You maybe misunderstood my question. Maybe not though. I just couldn’t see any link between what I asked and what you wrote. These common replies, in my opinion, are disrespectful and serve only to demean the person asking the question in the forum. People ask stuff on this forum because they genuinely don’t know and I think these three answers especially are both unhelpful and arrogant. The majority of users on this forum however do try to help despite how obvious the question may be. And yes, maybe it is, as you say, silly to get riled up by this but it does get me going when people are replying in such a way. It serves no useful purpose other than make the replier feel superior (maybe?).
🗲 2ॐ ᛉ

zoidkirb

12 Jun 2019

Voted for 'try the trial' . Actually, none of it really bothers me but I wish the trial time limits were loosened somehow as sometimes things I want to try have already expired a year ago and I forgot about it.

guitfnky

12 Jun 2019

mine’s not listed: “that feature you suggested can be accomplished easily using this forty-seven step workaround”
I write music for good people

https://slowrobot.bandcamp.com/

jlgrimes

12 Jun 2019

MrFigg wrote:
12 Jun 2019
I get riled up by all of these being used as replies to people on the forum asking genuine questions. In my opinion they are unhelpful and even arrogant or disrespectful, serving no purpose other than to demean the person asking or to make the replier feel superior. Not the way I think people should treat each other in any case. Please note, this does not apply to the majority of users here who do go out of their way to help when a question arises.
Which do you hate seeing the most? If they are answers you use yourself when people ask questions, well there’s an checkbox there for you too. No one forgotten. No one excluded. :).

The biggest thing gets me is when a reply to a question comes in just deriding the user for asking the question. It can come in many forms. Sometimes it's just RTFM. Other times its something like "What a stupid question to ask. Shame on you."

reddust

12 Jun 2019

I've never seen anyone using the words "git gud" here so I guess there isn't really an answer that bothers me specially.

What I've seen here a couple of times and I don't like is people posting threads and deleting them or their content after they find out the solution by themselves. That closes the possibility for other people to find a quick answer if they happen to be confronting the same issue as they cannot find that content anymore.

In general I don't like egoistic/egocentrical behavior in social platforms like a forum. Like people who start a thread asking for help when they have a problem with some software, then giving little info on what the problem is or under which conditions it happens, then some people make the effort to explain possible reasons and their solutions based on that little initial information and the OP never answers back or even worse, the OP answers with things like "ok, someone else can tell me something more" without even saying thanks. I haven't seen this behavior here in reason talk but in a couple of other forums.

boingy

12 Jun 2019

Have you ever looked through the customer Q&A thing at the bottom of Amazon listings? You don't have to look far before you find one where someone asks about product X and someone replies "Sorry, I don't know - I don't have one".

Gotta love people....

eusti

12 Jun 2019

“You can do that in Thor.”

D.

MrFigg
Competition Winner

12 Jun 2019

eusti wrote:
12 Jun 2019

D.
Haha haha. Except that actually can be helpful :).
🗲 2ॐ ᛉ

diminished
Competition Winner

12 Jun 2019

eusti wrote:
12 Jun 2019

D.
😂 Good one. Although I prefer that answer to one which involves 7 pieces of CV REs I haven't even heard about
:reason: Most recent track: resentment (synthwave) || Others: on my YouTube channel •ᴗ•

eusti

12 Jun 2019

MrFigg wrote:
12 Jun 2019
eusti wrote:
12 Jun 2019

D.
I agree if it’s in regard to CV automation stuff... But it annoys me when it comes to producing the sound of another synth... ;)

D.

reasonsuser88

12 Jun 2019

I can't remember the last time I had an issue with something. Too busy making noise.
The time has come for you to take care and comb your hair. :wave:

MrFigg
Competition Winner

12 Jun 2019

eusti wrote:
12 Jun 2019
MrFigg wrote:
12 Jun 2019

I agree if it’s in regard to CV automation stuff... But it annoys me when it comes to producing the sound of another synth... ;)

D.
Well if it’s a tip you can use then read it. If it’s a tip you can’t then don’t. End of story.

Fuckers 😂😂😂
🗲 2ॐ ᛉ

MrFigg
Competition Winner

12 Jun 2019

reasonsuser88 wrote:
12 Jun 2019
I can't remember the last time I had an issue with something. Too busy making noise.
That’s great. Me neither. I do however think that when it comes to people trying to patronize, disrespect or demean others at whatever level then that behavior should be challenged. I for one am not willing to accept it.
🗲 2ॐ ᛉ

reasonsuser88

12 Jun 2019

MrFigg wrote:
12 Jun 2019
That’s great. Me neither. I do however think that when it comes to people trying to patronize, disrespect or demean others at whatever level then that behavior should be challenged. I for one am not willing to accept it.
What are you gonna do about it? I think some people can be misunderstood to begin with. This forum lost some very valuable contributors because of softshell attitudes. The world would be a better place if more people just let things go. My own perspective is jagged and jaded which is why I try to stay away altogether. Anyways...happy trails.

guitfnky

12 Jun 2019

reasonsuser88 wrote:
12 Jun 2019
This forum lost some very valuable contributors because of softshell attitudes. The world would be a better place if more people just let things go. My own perspective is jagged and jaded which is why I try to stay away altogether. Anyways...happy trails.
or...

this forum lost some very valuable contributors because of disrespectful users.

why should they subject themselves to shitty behavior if they don’t have to? it’s not their fault other people can’t behave like adults.
I write music for good people

https://slowrobot.bandcamp.com/

MrFigg
Competition Winner

12 Jun 2019

reasonsuser88 wrote:
12 Jun 2019
MrFigg wrote:
12 Jun 2019
What are you gonna do about it? I think some people can be misunderstood to begin with. This forum lost some very valuable contributors because of softshell attitudes. The world would be a better place if more people just let things go. My own perspective is jagged and jaded which is why I try to stay away altogether. Anyways...happy trails.
Of course people can be misunderstood. That’s why it’s best to ask. May not have been their intention to put anyone down.
I’m maybe damaged having worked with many individuals ranging from acutely vulnerable to those who display extremely challenging and often violent behavior. During this time I have learned that standing back and accepting negative behavior, especially when it is at the expense of others is not an option.
So to the question “what are you going to do?”...well I’m going to do my best to see that people do not fall victim to that sort of negativity. That’s the way I am. I’m not pertaining to be some sort of hero but if people don’t take responsibility for each other then there’ll be no change.
The above is of course extreme and is quite long from RTFM hahaha but you maybe understand my point.
🗲 2ॐ ᛉ

reasonsuser88

12 Jun 2019

guitfnky wrote:
12 Jun 2019
or...

this forum lost some very valuable contributors because of disrespectful users.

why should they subject themselves to shitty behavior if they don’t have to? it’s not their fault other people can’t behave like adults.
Fair enough. I just think something should be said about looking at things on a deeper level along with analyzation from an unbiased psychological perspective. The fact of the matter is, people's minds are wired in all kinds of different ways and especially creative people. Some people are even unintentionally rude - imagine that! This is probably my INFJ personality type coming through. Hah!

reggie1979

12 Jun 2019

RTFM. The assumption that someone did not already check is flabbergastingly one-sided.

dioxide

12 Jun 2019

guitfnky wrote:
12 Jun 2019
mine’s not listed: “that feature you suggested can be accomplished easily using this forty-seven step workaround”
Yes. "You can do this with Thor." Cue lots of matrix mapping, having step sequencer latched on to keep audio running through it etc.

reasonsuser88

12 Jun 2019

reggie1979 wrote:
12 Jun 2019
RTFM. The assumption that someone did not already check is flabbergastingly one-sided.
I never looked at the manual for anything and I probably never will. I started out not even understanding the concept of a Combinator let alone any musical fundamentals. :lol:

Wobbleburger

12 Jun 2019

I don't like the ultra-smug responses. Or those who look down on others who samples or use presets.
In the 90s, my midi music was on the Baulder's Gate site. That was my life peak.
Reasonite since 2000. My music (and my old midi) can be found here:
https://futurewizard.org

VariableX

12 Jun 2019

I only ever read the manual as a very very last resort!

I do know how most folk are gonna reply to MrFigg from now on 😜 ( as an initial wind-up ) 😂

reggie1979

12 Jun 2019

reasonsuser88 wrote:
12 Jun 2019
reggie1979 wrote:
12 Jun 2019
I never looked at the manual for anything and I probably never will. I started out not even understanding the concept of a Combinator let alone any musical fundamentals. :lol:
It's kinda old these days. Especially when updates frequently "break" the manual. Props isn't horrible. Most of what you need you can find but of course they are all online now and the search function is, well, let's say, in need of an update.

Frankly, it's usually easier to do a google.

• Information