giving up alcohol

This forum is for anything not Reason related, if you just want to talk about other stuff. Please keep it friendly!
reggie1979
Posts: 1047
Joined: 11 Apr 2019

Post 08 May 2019

modecca wrote:
08 May 2019
reggie1979 wrote:
07 May 2019


But not tonight.

If I had a good life, good health and a reason to live, I'd quit. But drinking is the only time of the day I look forward to, especially after today. (now who's making excuses :lol: )
This is me back in 2006. That said I hope you can take some of mashers advice to help you cut back a little bit cause that stuff will kill ya.
For me it's gonna have to be a twist of fate. Tomorrow I go to yet ANOTHER doctor to see what is up with some serious pain issues. I've already done the PT so I'm expecting something different or probably just being blown off as a hypochondriac again :roll:

I already suck down Motrin like candy, I can't take it anymore. The 3-4 hours I drink (although I go through some liquor) is the only time of the day I feel alright.

User avatar
modecca
Posts: 728
Joined: 07 Jul 2016

Post 08 May 2019

reggie1979 wrote:
08 May 2019
modecca wrote:
08 May 2019


This is me back in 2006. That said I hope you can take some of mashers advice to help you cut back a little bit cause that stuff will kill ya.
For me it's gonna have to be a twist of fate. Tomorrow I go to yet ANOTHER doctor to see what is up with some serious pain issues. I've already done the PT so I'm expecting something different or probably just being blown off as a hypochondriac again :roll:

I already suck down Motrin like candy, I can't take it anymore. The 3-4 hours I drink (although I go through some liquor) is the only time of the day I feel alright.
When I think back on the days where alcohol was the only medication I could find, to step outside of the shitty inescapable reality I was experiencing at the time, I have rich dreamlike memories.
I still go back to that location on occasion with a few beers, and it is always a deeply sentimental experience for me. No Dr. had shit for me back then; like always: time and figuring it all out alone, is the only thing that ever worked for me.
¡ɹǝɥʇoɥɔɐǝ ɟo doʇ uo pǝʞɔɐʇs llɐ 'sǝɹuǝƃ ʇuǝɹǝɟɟᴉp 9 uᴉ 'sƃuos ʇuǝɹǝɟɟᴉp 9 oʇ ƃuᴉuǝʇsᴉl ɟo soɐɥɔ ƃuᴉɯlɐɔ ǝɥʇ ǝʞᴉl ƃuᴉɥʇou sᴉ ǝɹǝɥ┴

User avatar
reasonsuser88
Posts: 272
Joined: 29 Apr 2019

Post 08 May 2019

I'm on day 44 of no alcohol after getting up to an average of 60 alcohol units per week. During the first couple weeks there was some anxiety, junk food cravings and sweating in my sleep. I caught a cold after week 3 and it helped balance me out. I lost my appetite for junk food and I gained some mental ground. The eczema rash on my hands went away and I lost five pounds even after eating all the junk food. The anxiety is there but I take it as a challenge to face myself instead of using alcohol as a crutch. I remember one night I felt very uncomfortable just to walk along a busy street to a local food shop. It certainly doesn't help that I live in a California city full of superficial people but I digress. At least the weather is good. I tried quitting a few times before but I had to realize there is no moderation for me.
The time has come for you to take care and comb your hair. :wave:

reggie1979
Posts: 1047
Joined: 11 Apr 2019

Post 08 May 2019

Sounds good.

User avatar
Zac
Posts: 1517
Joined: 19 May 2016

Post 08 May 2019

reasonsuser88 wrote:
08 May 2019
I'm on day 44 of no alcohol after getting up to an average of 60 alcohol units per week. During the first couple weeks there was some anxiety, junk food cravings and sweating in my sleep. I caught a cold after week 3 and it helped balance me out. I lost my appetite for junk food and I gained some mental ground. The eczema rash on my hands went away and I lost five pounds even after eating all the junk food. The anxiety is there but I take it as a challenge to face myself instead of using alcohol as a crutch. I remember one night I felt very uncomfortable just to walk along a busy street to a local food shop. It certainly doesn't help that I live in a California city full of superficial people but I digress. At least the weather is good. I tried quitting a few times before but I had to realize there is no moderation for me.
My best sincere wishes. I hope i can one day.
Chilled Electronica - Autumn's End : see viewtopic.php?f=9&t=7514785

User avatar
reasonsuser88
Posts: 272
Joined: 29 Apr 2019

Post 08 May 2019

Zac wrote:
08 May 2019
My best sincere wishes. I hope i can one day.
Thanks!
Last edited by reasonsuser88 on 22 Jun 2019, edited 1 time in total.
The time has come for you to take care and comb your hair. :wave:

User avatar
aeox
Posts: 2306
Joined: 23 Feb 2017

Post 09 May 2019

Zac wrote:
08 May 2019
reasonsuser88 wrote:
08 May 2019
I'm on day 44 of no alcohol after getting up to an average of 60 alcohol units per week. During the first couple weeks there was some anxiety, junk food cravings and sweating in my sleep. I caught a cold after week 3 and it helped balance me out. I lost my appetite for junk food and I gained some mental ground. The eczema rash on my hands went away and I lost five pounds even after eating all the junk food. The anxiety is there but I take it as a challenge to face myself instead of using alcohol as a crutch. I remember one night I felt very uncomfortable just to walk along a busy street to a local food shop. It certainly doesn't help that I live in a California city full of superficial people but I digress. At least the weather is good. I tried quitting a few times before but I had to realize there is no moderation for me.
My best sincere wishes. I hope i can one day.
Seconded!
Random songs/ideas go here:
https://soundcloud.com/ae-ox/polar/s-Ocxtj

mashers
Posts: 448
Joined: 05 Nov 2018

Post 09 May 2019

sleep1979 wrote:
08 May 2019
Weed was much worse for me than alcohol ever was , ruined my confidence made me paranoid shy , nervous afraid question myself , all those things that wasnt a part of me before that also arent now i don’t recommend weed to people growing up ive also seen people violent when they dont have it , like anything if you abuse it it becomes a bad thing but alcohol is an every now and then thing but messes my singing voice up my concentration my fitness for like a week afterwards a mad session so it’s probably not worth it anymore 🙂
I wouldn't advocate heavy use of anything. Everything is harmful if you have enough of it. I smoke once a week. It unlocks so much for me, and it's like clearing away the cobwebs in my mind. It works so well for my brain chemistry. But I understand it doesn't work that way for everyone. I certainly didn't intend to imply that a cannabis addiction is a good thing. But like with most drugs, if you can maintain a moderate level of usage then it isn't harmful by default.

User avatar
MrFigg
Posts: 3002
Joined: 20 Apr 2018

Post 09 May 2019

To quote Crowley in Thelema : “I am the Snake that giveth Knowledge & Delight and bright glory, and stir the hearts of men with drunkenness. To worship me take wine and strange drugs whereof I will tell my prophet, & be drunk thereof!"
That is to say... alcohol and strange drugs can open up knowledge of the self. Without a doubt. It's when you reach the point that they're no longer strange, that's probably the time to stop. That's how I interpret it anyway. I stopped after I realized that there was nothing more to be learned.
All that said, it did take quite a long time to realize that I'd reached that point.

sleep1979

Post 09 May 2019

To be quite honest a smoke or a drink to chill is fine we all do it or did , but i don't really believe people when they say heavy use or everyday use of weed doesn’t affect them , My dad used to say that and he completely wasted his life ( he didn’t drink either ) but if that geezer didnt have. Spliff i would stay out of his way until he got a bag that guy was an asshole if he didny have it , and so is my brother so did i use to be if I didn’t have it , and when they do have it if u dont its hard to be around them coz what the fuck are they laughing at , its like being with a mental person lol , but im not putting people down here im just agreeing that shit can be bad for your health too , i was the same smoking it around girls made me chill more confident , then i started smoking it too much the girls went friends went , now there back im never smoking again , drink on the other hand is a hard one because its fucking everywhere , i would never be on alcohol lile i was on weed everyday but i make up for that in one weekend i can probably drink two litres of whiskey or vodka easy by myself plus beers and that ruins my life for the next week so i think thats pretty bad what do u think ?

mashers
Posts: 448
Joined: 05 Nov 2018

Post 09 May 2019

sleep1979 wrote:
09 May 2019
To be quite honest a smoke or a drink to chill is fine we all do it or did , but i don't really believe people when they say heavy use or everyday use of weed doesn’t affect them , My dad used to say that and he completely wasted his life ( he didn’t drink either ) but if that geezer didnt have. Spliff i would stay out of his way until he got a bag that guy was an asshole if he didny have it , and so is my brother so did i use to be if I didn’t have it , and when they do have it if u dont its hard to be around them coz what the fuck are they laughing at , its like being with a mental person lol , but im not putting people down here im just agreeing that shit can be bad for your health too , i was the same smoking it around girls made me chill more confident , then i started smoking it too much the girls went friends went , now there back im never smoking again , drink on the other hand is a hard one because its fucking everywhere , i would never be on alcohol lile i was on weed everyday but i make up for that in one weekend i can probably drink two litres of whiskey or vodka easy by myself plus beers and that ruins my life for the next week so i think thats pretty bad what do u think ?
Anything to excess is potentially harmful. Sometimes the behaviours you have described are symptomatic of overuse, or sometimes it's the other way round - that person is struggling with some aspect of life (or themselves) which makes them an unpleasant person to be around, and they are trying to self-medicate to change that part of themselves. It rarely works this way though, as most drugs lower your inhibitions and impair your judgement. I believe that people who are truly self-actualised are capable of using most drugs moderately, enjoying their effects and benefits, and then going about their lives. People who have other issues in life? I suppose it would depend what those issues are, and why they are leading that person to use that particular drug.

Two litres of any spirit is too much. You are seriously risking damaging your internal organs if you continue that way, and that amount of alcohol consumption is going to be bad for your mental health too. I really think it would be helpful for you to reflect on why you are drinking, and whether it is really helping you. I do this every single time I'm about to smoke weed. I ask myself, what am I hoping for? If the answer is that I feel shitty and I want to feel better, then I do something else. If it's because I'm feeling safe and content and want to take an opportunity to explore music, art and thought in an altered state, then I'll do just that. For me using a drug is about enhancing my life, not using it to hide from parts of it I don't like.

sleep1979

Post 09 May 2019

mashers wrote:
09 May 2019
sleep1979 wrote:
09 May 2019
To be quite honest a smoke or a drink to chill is fine we all do it or did , but i don't really believe people when they say heavy use or everyday use of weed doesn’t affect them , My dad used to say that and he completely wasted his life ( he didn’t drink either ) but if that geezer didnt have. Spliff i would stay out of his way until he got a bag that guy was an asshole if he didny have it , and so is my brother so did i use to be if I didn’t have it , and when they do have it if u dont its hard to be around them coz what the fuck are they laughing at , its like being with a mental person lol , but im not putting people down here im just agreeing that shit can be bad for your health too , i was the same smoking it around girls made me chill more confident , then i started smoking it too much the girls went friends went , now there back im never smoking again , drink on the other hand is a hard one because its fucking everywhere , i would never be on alcohol lile i was on weed everyday but i make up for that in one weekend i can probably drink two litres of whiskey or vodka easy by myself plus beers and that ruins my life for the next week so i think thats pretty bad what do u think ?
Anything to excess is potentially harmful. Sometimes the behaviours you have described are symptomatic of overuse, or sometimes it's the other way round - that person is struggling with some aspect of life (or themselves) which makes them an unpleasant person to be around, and they are trying to self-medicate to change that part of themselves. It rarely works this way though, as most drugs lower your inhibitions and impair your judgement. I believe that people who are truly self-actualised are capable of using most drugs moderately, enjoying their effects and benefits, and then going about their lives. People who have other issues in life? I suppose it would depend what those issues are, and why they are leading that person to use that particular drug.

Two litres of any spirit is too much. You are seriously risking damaging your internal organs if you continue that way, and that amount of alcohol consumption is going to be bad for your mental health too. I really think it would be helpful for you to reflect on why you are drinking, and whether it is really helping you. I do this every single time I'm about to smoke weed. I ask myself, what am I hoping for? If the answer is that I feel shitty and I want to feel better, then I do something else. If it's because I'm feeling safe and content and want to take an opportunity to explore music, art and thought in an altered state, then I'll do just that. For me using a drug is about enhancing my life, not using it to hide from parts of it I don't like.
Its hard because it starts with going out having fun for one drink but its never like that after i have one i feel different and it feels good and i want more until im asleep im like that with everything all my life why? I do not know id love to be able to have one beer but then whats the point of one beer ? Might as well have a cold drink of lemon tango 🙂

User avatar
MrFigg
Posts: 3002
Joined: 20 Apr 2018

Post 09 May 2019

Are you still off it? That is to say...have you had a drink so you started this thread saying you were stopping? No judgements here...just wondering.

mashers
Posts: 448
Joined: 05 Nov 2018

Post 09 May 2019

sleep1979 wrote:
09 May 2019
Its hard because it starts with going out having fun for one drink but its never like that after i have one i feel different and it feels good and i want more until im asleep im like that with everything all my life why? I do not know id love to be able to have one beer but then whats the point of one beer ? Might as well have a cold drink of lemon tango 🙂
I can see your point here to be honest. It would be like having one puff on a joint. It's not gonna do much, may as well smoke the whole thing, then another, then... So yeah, that slipper slope is easy to, well, slip down. But I think you should ask yourself, what is it about being drunk that is fun to you? If there is a genuine reason why it's fun and you really enjoy getting that wasted, then there's no harm specifically in that, though the amount might be doing damage to your body in the long-run. But if in fact the alcohol is mitigating another issue, then that means the alcohol isn't really helping you, and is just covering up what the real problem is.

sleep1979

Post 09 May 2019

mashers wrote:
09 May 2019
sleep1979 wrote:
09 May 2019
Its hard because it starts with going out having fun for one drink but its never like that after i have one i feel different and it feels good and i want more until im asleep im like that with everything all my life why? I do not know id love to be able to have one beer but then whats the point of one beer ? Might as well have a cold drink of lemon tango 🙂
I can see your point here to be honest. It would be like having one puff on a joint. It's not gonna do much, may as well smoke the whole thing, then another, then... So yeah, that slipper slope is easy to, well, slip down. But I think you should ask yourself, what is it about being drunk that is fun to you? If there is a genuine reason why it's fun and you really enjoy getting that wasted, then there's no harm specifically in that, though the amount might be doing damage to your body in the long-run. But if in fact the alcohol is mitigating another issue, then that means the alcohol isn't really helping you, and is just covering up what the real problem is.
maybe mashers but its more like friends I have "come out bro , me nah few weeks later im bored "come out bro , me: ok then

imagine if I go out with them and I don't drink , what's the point ?
drunk people are annoying when your not drinking
I'm on dating sites atm so many women wanna drink lol .
maybe there are some problems which I don't wanna talk about here
but the real issue is , when I need to get out and have a release , coz im a single father of two when I get that free weekend , I don't wanna be sitting in making music/playing piano , as fun as that is I do that in the evenings and too much of that and I need to get out see people , so the problem is when I have that free time what to do to release? because meeting humans that I know and care about usually involves drinking , im gonna start arranging coffee dates with women I think lol thanks man

User avatar
diminished
Posts: 1450
Joined: 15 Dec 2018

Post 09 May 2019

sleep1979 wrote:
09 May 2019

but the real issue is , when I need to get out and have a release , coz im a single father of two when I get that free weekend , I don't wanna be sitting in making music/playing piano , as fun as that is I do that in the evenings and too much of that and I need to get out see people , so the problem is when I have that free time what to do to release? because meeting humans that I know and care about usually involves drinking , im gonna start arranging coffee dates with women I think lol thanks man
If the activity of drinking alcohol is what connects you to people, maybe pick up a new hobby where other people are involved. I'm thinking of sports, pottery or any craft where you can visit seminars, and charity work.

Also, if there is no point in not drinking with these people you mentioned, maybe there is no point in hanging around with them at all.

Being afraid of isolation comes to mind. Isolation and depression can kill you, but alcohol or any drug is not the solution - it makes things so much worse AND it will hurt you and the ones you love.
:reason: Most recent track: The Test (feat. MrFigg) || Others: on my YouTube channel •ᴗ•

mashers
Posts: 448
Joined: 05 Nov 2018

Post 09 May 2019

sleep1979 wrote:
09 May 2019
imagine if I go out with them and I don't drink , what's the point ?
diminished wrote:
09 May 2019
If the activity of drinking alcohol is what connects you to people, maybe pick up a new hobby where other people are involved. I'm thinking of sports, pottery or any craft where you can visit seminars, and charity work.

Also, if there is no point in not drinking with these people you mentioned, maybe there is no point in hanging around with them at all.

Being afraid of isolation comes to mind. Isolation and depression can kill you, but alcohol or any drug is not the solution - it makes things so much worse AND it will hurt you and the ones you love.
I couldn't have put this better myself. If drinking is becoming a problem for you and your friends are only worth being with when they are drunk, then you need new friends. Answer me this: what do you love? Think about that. Really think about it. Then go and do it with people.
sleep1979 wrote:
09 May 2019
I'm on dating sites atm so many women wanna drink lol .
Well, like with friends, if those women are only interested in getting wasted and that isn't working for you as a lifestyle, then they aren't the right women for you. What's the point of doing something that makes you unhappy just so you can meet people who want to keep doing things that make you unhappy? Why not just wait a bit longer to weed them out and find the ones who enjoy doing things that you enjoy and are good for you too? And when I say "good for you", I emphasise the word "you" - whatever it is, it should be good for YOU.

sleep1979 wrote:
09 May 2019
maybe there are some problems which I don't wanna talk about here
That's fine of course, and the most important thing is that you have realised that there is something else you need to talk about. I don't know you at all of course, but if somebody I did know was telling me these things, then this would be the point I would be telling them that if they don't want to talk to me about those things, then they should consider finding someone who they are able to talk to about those things, whether a friend, a family member, or a professional.
sleep1979 wrote:
09 May 2019
but the real issue is , when I need to get out and have a release , coz im a single father of two when I get that free weekend , I don't wanna be sitting in making music/playing piano , as fun as that is I do that in the evenings and too much of that and I need to get out see people , so the problem is when I have that free time what to do to release? because meeting humans that I know and care about usually involves drinking , im gonna start arranging coffee dates with women I think lol thanks man
Well, I think you have just made some progress in working out what you need to do. The sentence I've highlighted in bold seems to shed light on the issue - you understandably want to spend your free time socialising, but all of your social engagements involve alcohol. Your body and your brain appear to be telling you that this isn't working any more, so now is the time to think hard about making some decisions. You will lose some friends along the way, but if they are people who are only interested in having contact with you while you're doing something you hate, then fuck them. Move on and prioritise people who respect you enough to listen to you, and who will make the effort to engage with you in mutually enjoyable activities.

As far as we know we get one chance at life on this planet. Don't waste it doing things you hate. Find what you love, and do it as much as possible with other people who love it as much as you do.

User avatar
modecca
Posts: 728
Joined: 07 Jul 2016

Post 09 May 2019

reasonsuser88 wrote:
08 May 2019
I'm on day 44 of no alcohol after getting up to an average of 60 alcohol units per week. During the first couple weeks there was some anxiety, junk food cravings and sweating in my sleep. I caught a cold after week 3 and it helped balance me out. I lost my appetite for junk food and I gained some mental ground. The eczema rash on my hands went away and I lost five pounds even after eating all the junk food. The anxiety is there but I take it as a challenge to face myself instead of using alcohol as a crutch. I remember one night I felt very uncomfortable just to walk along a busy street to a local food shop. It certainly doesn't help that I live in a California city full of superficial people but I digress. At least the weather is good. I tried quitting a few times before but I had to realize there is no moderation for me.
I have nothing but sincere respect for this pursuit.

I see many people who try to stop completely but they will eventually run into those moments where:
life seems too boring, to continue refraining from the substance
life seems too painful, to continue refraining from the substance

So to be able to consistently address both of these positions as they continue to arise, is where things get interesting and the chance for growth really emerges.
¡ɹǝɥʇoɥɔɐǝ ɟo doʇ uo pǝʞɔɐʇs llɐ 'sǝɹuǝƃ ʇuǝɹǝɟɟᴉp 9 uᴉ 'sƃuos ʇuǝɹǝɟɟᴉp 9 oʇ ƃuᴉuǝʇsᴉl ɟo soɐɥɔ ƃuᴉɯlɐɔ ǝɥʇ ǝʞᴉl ƃuᴉɥʇou sᴉ ǝɹǝɥ┴

mashers
Posts: 448
Joined: 05 Nov 2018

Post 09 May 2019

modecca wrote:
09 May 2019
I have nothing but sincere respect for this pursuit.

I see many people who try to stop completely but they will eventually run into those moments where:
life seems too boring, to continue refraining from the substance
life seems too painful, to continue refraining from the substance

So to be able to consistently address both of these positions as they continue to arise, is where things get interesting and the chance for growth really emerges.
This is pure poetry.

sleep1979

Post 09 May 2019

you are actually great people and sites like this where we as musicians do isolate ourselves sometimes to get the work done
I think this is a good place for these debates
I think i'm talking in particular about one person really that is my cousin who is a really good friend of mine we both had a convo last time we need to stop getting on it but we always do I won't cut him out of my life because he is a good guy and I enjoy his company
but I may just go to his bbqs and take my kids then I can avoid alcohol , as opposed to just me and him which is a recipe for disaster lol, a
s for problems ive dealt with most of them , only thing I need now is to get over the woman I broke up with two years ago , stop having one night stands and meet someone nice again , and not have them leave me because I haven't sorted my life out lol , and release new music this fucking song I wrote is years old ( excuse the bad recording )


and all I have online , im writing some great piano ambient ish songs but never finishing them because of the regular binge drinking
so its gonna continue to stop thanks peeps this is good for people this post

mashers
Posts: 448
Joined: 05 Nov 2018

Post 09 May 2019

We tend to be more sensitive than others. This is an advantage sometimes, as it can make us more empathetic. But it can make life harder sometimes, as we tend to feel things more strongly than others. So it's good to have somewhere to go and be around like-minded people. Maybe look into whether there are some local musician's groups near you so you'll have some like-minded people to spend time with. Spending time with your cousin in a more family-friendly situation sounds like a good start :)

There's nothing inherently wrong with one-night stands. Sex is fun, and sex with strangers can be even more fun. If you want to settle down again then go for it of course. But don't deny yourself something potentially enjoyable because of a dogmatic belief that it's somehow wrong. It isn't, so if you enjoy it, enjoy it.

I'll have a listen to your song later tonight mate. Having more time to dedicate to your art sounds like an excellent reason for cutting down on the binge drinking ;)

sleep1979

Post 09 May 2019

mashers wrote:
09 May 2019
We tend to be more sensitive than others. This is an advantage sometimes, as it can make us more empathetic. But it can make life harder sometimes, as we tend to feel things more strongly than others. So it's good to have somewhere to go and be around like-minded people. Maybe look into whether there are some local musician's groups near you so you'll have some like-minded people to spend time with. Spending time with your cousin in a more family-friendly situation sounds like a good start :)

There's nothing inherently wrong with one-night stands. Sex is fun, and sex with strangers can be even more fun. If you want to settle down again then go for it of course. But don't deny yourself something potentially enjoyable because of a dogmatic belief that it's somehow wrong. It isn't, so if you enjoy it, enjoy it.

I'll have a listen to your song later tonight mate. Having more time to dedicate to your art sounds like an excellent reason for cutting down on the binge drinking ;)
oh no of course its not wrong hahhaah its just the gaps between waiting for the next one to come along :D

be nice of someone was there all the time but then thinking about that hmm stress :lol: :lol: :lol:

maybe ill wait lol

and thanks

User avatar
MrFigg
Posts: 3002
Joined: 20 Apr 2018

Post 09 May 2019

You’ve got a good voice on you Sleep. Keep singing man. :)

User avatar
diminished
Posts: 1450
Joined: 15 Dec 2018

Post 09 May 2019

MrFigg wrote:
09 May 2019
You’ve got a good voice on you Sleep. Keep singing man. :)
Yo seriously. If that's you, sleep, you have a fucking gift. Caress yourself and show _yourself_ the respect you deserve and stop with the things that destroy you. Become the best version of yourself.
:reason: Most recent track: The Test (feat. MrFigg) || Others: on my YouTube channel •ᴗ•

User avatar
diminished
Posts: 1450
Joined: 15 Dec 2018

Post 09 May 2019

And write a fucking song about fucking binge drinking for what it's worth! Do it! Jeez all that talk about which Refill does what, you shouldn't care less!
:reason: Most recent track: The Test (feat. MrFigg) || Others: on my YouTube channel •ᴗ•

  • Information
  • Who is online

    Users browsing this forum: CommonCrawl [Bot] and 0 guests