giving up alcohol

This forum is for anything not Reason related, if you just want to talk about other stuff. Please keep it friendly!
User avatar
gullum
Posts: 561
Joined: 15 Jan 2015
Location: Faroe Islands

Post 27 Apr 2019

2 years without tobacco now and now I only drink a few times a year, if I can stay with only beer I'm fine but anything stronger and I'm gone out of control. I have no problem going to a pub drink 1 or 2 beers then go home no, I turn 47 next month. go back only 10 years just not stop after my first beer or drink before I was too wasted to hold a glass. All meat sounds like a good thing though

sleep1979

Post 27 Apr 2019

gullum wrote:
27 Apr 2019
2 years without tobacco now and now I only drink a few times a year, if I can stay with only beer I'm fine but anything stronger and I'm gone out of control. I have no problem going to a pub drink 1 or 2 beers then go home no, I turn 47 next month. go back only 10 years just not stop after my first beer or drink before I was too wasted to hold a glass. All meat sounds like a good thing though
I dont get out of control only when i drink fast (then i do ) can drink loads if i eat and drink slowly but its not a good thing , well done for tobacco I'm 14 years now without a cigarette or a spliff ( thanks fook) ive only gone 2 weeks without a drink so far and boy are people trying to get me out to bbqs and shit lol 😂

User avatar
MrFigg
Posts: 3002
Joined: 20 Apr 2018

Post 27 Apr 2019

sleep1979 wrote:
27 Apr 2019
gullum wrote:
27 Apr 2019
2 years without tobacco now and now I only drink a few times a year, if I can stay with only beer I'm fine but anything stronger and I'm gone out of control. I have no problem going to a pub drink 1 or 2 beers then go home no, I turn 47 next month. go back only 10 years just not stop after my first beer or drink before I was too wasted to hold a glass. All meat sounds like a good thing though
I dont get out of control only when i drink fast (then i do ) can drink loads if i eat and drink slowly but its not a good thing , well done for tobacco I'm 14 years now without a cigarette or a spliff ( thanks fook) ive only gone 2 weeks without a drink so far and boy are people trying to get me out to bbqs and shit lol 😂
Just go to the bbqs man. Eat the meat :).

User avatar
splangie
Posts: 210
Joined: 21 Dec 2017
Location: Park County, Colorado

Post 27 Apr 2019

There was a time when I needed a wank, a spliff, a couple coffees and a quarter pounder every few hours, in that order, over and over. Now it's just one or the other and not always in that order.

sleep1979

Post 28 Apr 2019

MrFigg wrote:
27 Apr 2019
sleep1979 wrote:
27 Apr 2019

I dont get out of control only when i drink fast (then i do ) can drink loads if i eat and drink slowly but its not a good thing , well done for tobacco I'm 14 years now without a cigarette or a spliff ( thanks fook) ive only gone 2 weeks without a drink so far and boy are people trying to get me out to bbqs and shit lol 😂
Just go to the bbqs man. Eat the meat :).
That is the good thing about the meat diet , i guess its ok if its a Family bbq with kids i could get away with not drinking.

I've been invited to one in A few weeks apparently a mens night , you know thats gonna be alcohol , so ill try and skip that .

I have been a bit down for the last two weeks since i gave up alcohol and started this diet ( but i think
Ive been drinking way too much diet fiZy drinks ( its not the diet trust me
)

giving them up tomorrow as my teeth hurt a bit , yeah nah I'm a bit fed up ive been spending too much time
Sound designing as well i need to get back to playing keys and singing writing songs

and find new places to go that dont involve alcohol on my free weekends , which is hard because there good people i know they just love to get drunk at weekends like a lot of people , and theres nothing wrong with that ive just has enough figs .

I think im in the middle of a mid life crisis , im even looking at my hairline thinking am i starting to go bald? 😂mores gotta change with me lately than just the drink , i normally bum feel sorry for a while then get majorly focused when i feel like this , hopefully its the focused bit soon , i wont drink though ive had enough for now , just its the bbq season bro innit .✌🏻

sleep1979

Post 28 Apr 2019

splangie wrote:
27 Apr 2019
There was a time when I needed a wank, a spliff, a couple coffees and a quarter pounder every few hours, in that order, over and over. Now it's just one or the other and not always in that order.
Too much info about the monkey spanking mate , we all do it but lets keep it to ourselves 😂

User avatar
MrFigg
Posts: 3002
Joined: 20 Apr 2018

Post 28 Apr 2019

If avoiding situations where there’s alcohol involved helps you not drink then go with that.
I found that just doing the stuff I was doing before but without drinking worked for me. These situations are always going to exist so you can’t avoid them forever.
As I said if you can hold out with people going on at you a couple of times they’ll soon tire of it and accept it. That said it can get irritating when you’re surrounded by folk who are pissed. If they’re good people though and you know them then you’ll manage that too.
You wrote earlier about getting too old to gig. Get that out of your head. Never to ol’ to rock’n’roll man. One of the best feelings in the world.
As far as the hairline...well hair today gone tomorrow. Accept it and move on.
Good idea cutting out the sugar. That’ll screw you up...sucks your energy. :).

sleep1979

Post 28 Apr 2019

MrFigg wrote:
28 Apr 2019
If avoiding situations where there’s alcohol involved helps you not drink then go with that.
I found that just doing the stuff I was doing before but without drinking worked for me. These situations are always going to exist so you can’t avoid them forever.
As I said if you can hold out with people going on at you a couple of times they’ll soon tire of it and accept it. That said it can get irritating when you’re surrounded by folk who are pissed. If they’re good people though and you know them then you’ll manage that too.
You wrote earlier about getting too old to gig. Get that out of your head. Never to ol’ to rock’n’roll man. One of the best feelings in the world.
As far as the hairline...well hair today gone tomorrow. Accept it and move on.
Good idea cutting out the sugar. That’ll screw you up...sucks your energy. :).
Nah your right fig i wont avoid them forever , and you cant dude your right ,
You gotta live innit , and hopefully i will gig just gotta push on again with the practising which I'm gonna start today enough making pads and synth keys for now .
And yeah i dont think my hair will go just yet ,ill be alright for a bit hopefully 😂
Cheers man ✌🏻

User avatar
splangie
Posts: 210
Joined: 21 Dec 2017
Location: Park County, Colorado

Post 28 Apr 2019

sleep1979 wrote:
28 Apr 2019
Too much info about the monkey spanking mate , we all do it but lets keep it to ourselves 😂
Sorry if that embarrassed or offended, but this did seem like a pretty open discussion. My point was that things change and so we should too, if staying the same is causing some sort of an issue or problem with your goals or the folks that are most important to you. Or maybe I should say, the folks that depend on you the most. If there aren't any and everything seems ok, then why change? Otherwise just take care of the problem. Anyone can do it. Getting married helped as well so wank become a a general term after that.

djadalaide
Posts: 216
Joined: 11 May 2018

Post 28 Apr 2019

All meat and no jack makes a dull boy

sleep1979

Post 29 Apr 2019

djadalaide wrote:
28 Apr 2019
All meat and no jack makes a dull boy
You may be right but im bored with jack .

User avatar
modecca
Posts: 728
Joined: 07 Jul 2016

Post 30 Apr 2019

gullum wrote:
27 Apr 2019
2 years without tobacco now and now I only drink a few times a year, if I can stay with only beer I'm fine but anything stronger and I'm gone out of control. I have no problem going to a pub drink 1 or 2 beers then go home no, I turn 47 next month. go back only 10 years just not stop after my first beer or drink before I was too wasted to hold a glass. All meat sounds like a good thing though
i went like 6 years without tobacco and have only recently begun to return to that fine pleasure (especially on cold days).
I have not become addicted to it (man swisher sweets is the way to go!) but I can see how easy it would be to smoke those things every day.
¡ɹǝɥʇoɥɔɐǝ ɟo doʇ uo pǝʞɔɐʇs llɐ 'sǝɹuǝƃ ʇuǝɹǝɟɟᴉp 9 uᴉ 'sƃuos ʇuǝɹǝɟɟᴉp 9 oʇ ƃuᴉuǝʇsᴉl ɟo soɐɥɔ ƃuᴉɯlɐɔ ǝɥʇ ǝʞᴉl ƃuᴉɥʇou sᴉ ǝɹǝɥ┴

User avatar
gullum
Posts: 561
Joined: 15 Jan 2015
Location: Faroe Islands

Post 01 May 2019

modecca wrote:
30 Apr 2019
gullum wrote:
27 Apr 2019
2 years without tobacco now and now I only drink a few times a year, if I can stay with only beer I'm fine but anything stronger and I'm gone out of control. I have no problem going to a pub drink 1 or 2 beers then go home no, I turn 47 next month. go back only 10 years just not stop after my first beer or drink before I was too wasted to hold a glass. All meat sounds like a good thing though
i went like 6 years without tobacco and have only recently begun to return to that fine pleasure (especially on cold days).
I have not become addicted to it (man swisher sweets is the way to go!) but I can see how easy it would be to smoke those things every day.
Careful with that though. about 25 years ago I quit and did not smoke for 7 years then got a girlfriend that smokes so I took a cigarette every now and then. Have been addicted again up until 2 years ago, I got now girlfriend that doesn't like smoke :D so I quit full stop

User avatar
modecca
Posts: 728
Joined: 07 Jul 2016

Post 01 May 2019

gullum wrote:
01 May 2019
modecca wrote:
30 Apr 2019


i went like 6 years without tobacco and have only recently begun to return to that fine pleasure (especially on cold days).
I have not become addicted to it (man swisher sweets is the way to go!) but I can see how easy it would be to smoke those things every day.
Careful with that though. about 25 years ago I quit and did not smoke for 7 years then got a girlfriend that smokes so I took a cigarette every now and then. Have been addicted again up until 2 years ago, I got now girlfriend that doesn't like smoke :D so I quit full stop
I highly recommend sneaking a smoke behind your gf back and covering it up with gum (good for strong teeth).
all the more.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
¡ɹǝɥʇoɥɔɐǝ ɟo doʇ uo pǝʞɔɐʇs llɐ 'sǝɹuǝƃ ʇuǝɹǝɟɟᴉp 9 uᴉ 'sƃuos ʇuǝɹǝɟɟᴉp 9 oʇ ƃuᴉuǝʇsᴉl ɟo soɐɥɔ ƃuᴉɯlɐɔ ǝɥʇ ǝʞᴉl ƃuᴉɥʇou sᴉ ǝɹǝɥ┴

sleep1979

Post 03 May 2019

Weekend alone with my new dog , cant take the fucker out yet so tempted to get on the Wallop

User avatar
MrFigg
Posts: 3002
Joined: 20 Apr 2018

Post 03 May 2019

sleep1979 wrote:
03 May 2019
Weekend alone with my new dog , cant take the fucker out yet so tempted to get on the Wallop
Up to you. But I’d say just leave it. Clap the dog and watch the telly.

reggie1979
Posts: 1047
Joined: 11 Apr 2019

Post 05 May 2019

You're looking for excuses. Off or on, I'm on and not ashamed. I'll quit with ya (if you want to make that bet)

mashers
Posts: 448
Joined: 05 Nov 2018

Post 06 May 2019

I used to drink a fair amount, but hardly touch the stuff now. When I really thought about it, I realised I didn't like the way it made me feel. It's a depressant, and it made me depressed. I didn't like the feeling of being drunk, and disliked even more how I felt the following day. These days I'd rather smoke a joint. Feel great instead of depressed, creative instead of sleepy, think outside the box instead of crawl into it, and feel perky the next day. It's an easy choice for me, but I realise it's not so with others. We're all addicted to something, and when you drop one you tend to pick up another. So maybe the key is choosing an addiction which works for you. There are lots of things you can replace it with. Exercise, art, conversation, play, sex, work, exploring your subconscious... the possibilities are endless.

reggie1979
Posts: 1047
Joined: 11 Apr 2019

Post 07 May 2019

reggie1979 wrote:
05 May 2019
You're looking for excuses. Off or on, I'm on and not ashamed. I'll quit with ya (if you want to make that bet)
But not tonight.

If I had a good life, good health and a reason to live, I'd quit. But drinking is the only time of the day I look forward to, especially after today. (now who's making excuses :lol: )

User avatar
modecca
Posts: 728
Joined: 07 Jul 2016

Post 08 May 2019

mashers wrote:
06 May 2019
I used to drink a fair amount, but hardly touch the stuff now. When I really thought about it, I realised I didn't like the way it made me feel. It's a depressant, and it made me depressed. I didn't like the feeling of being drunk, and disliked even more how I felt the following day. These days I'd rather smoke a joint. Feel great instead of depressed, creative instead of sleepy, think outside the box instead of crawl into it, and feel perky the next day. It's an easy choice for me, but I realise it's not so with others. We're all addicted to something, and when you drop one you tend to pick up another. So maybe the key is choosing an addiction which works for you. There are lots of things you can replace it with. Exercise, art, conversation, play, sex, work, exploring your subconscious... the possibilities are endless.
Splendid advice sir.
¡ɹǝɥʇoɥɔɐǝ ɟo doʇ uo pǝʞɔɐʇs llɐ 'sǝɹuǝƃ ʇuǝɹǝɟɟᴉp 9 uᴉ 'sƃuos ʇuǝɹǝɟɟᴉp 9 oʇ ƃuᴉuǝʇsᴉl ɟo soɐɥɔ ƃuᴉɯlɐɔ ǝɥʇ ǝʞᴉl ƃuᴉɥʇou sᴉ ǝɹǝɥ┴

User avatar
modecca
Posts: 728
Joined: 07 Jul 2016

Post 08 May 2019

reggie1979 wrote:
07 May 2019
reggie1979 wrote:
05 May 2019
You're looking for excuses. Off or on, I'm on and not ashamed. I'll quit with ya (if you want to make that bet)
But not tonight.

If I had a good life, good health and a reason to live, I'd quit. But drinking is the only time of the day I look forward to, especially after today. (now who's making excuses :lol: )
This is me back in 2006. That said I hope you can take some of mashers advice to help you cut back a little bit cause that stuff will kill ya.
¡ɹǝɥʇoɥɔɐǝ ɟo doʇ uo pǝʞɔɐʇs llɐ 'sǝɹuǝƃ ʇuǝɹǝɟɟᴉp 9 uᴉ 'sƃuos ʇuǝɹǝɟɟᴉp 9 oʇ ƃuᴉuǝʇsᴉl ɟo soɐɥɔ ƃuᴉɯlɐɔ ǝɥʇ ǝʞᴉl ƃuᴉɥʇou sᴉ ǝɹǝɥ┴

sleep1979

Post 08 May 2019

modecca wrote:
08 May 2019
mashers wrote:
06 May 2019
I used to drink a fair amount, but hardly touch the stuff now. When I really thought about it, I realised I didn't like the way it made me feel. It's a depressant, and it made me depressed. I didn't like the feeling of being drunk, and disliked even more how I felt the following day. These days I'd rather smoke a joint. Feel great instead of depressed, creative instead of sleepy, think outside the box instead of crawl into it, and feel perky the next day. It's an easy choice for me, but I realise it's not so with others. We're all addicted to something, and when you drop one you tend to pick up another. So maybe the key is choosing an addiction which works for you. There are lots of things you can replace it with. Exercise, art, conversation, play, sex, work, exploring your subconscious... the possibilities are endless.
Splendid advice sir.
Weed was much worse for me than alcohol ever was , ruined my confidence made me paranoid shy , nervous afraid question myself , all those things that wasnt a part of me before that also arent now i don’t recommend weed to people growing up ive also seen people violent when they dont have it , like anything if you abuse it it becomes a bad thing but alcohol is an every now and then thing but messes my singing voice up my concentration my fitness for like a week afterwards a mad session so it’s probably not worth it anymore 🙂

User avatar
modecca
Posts: 728
Joined: 07 Jul 2016

Post 08 May 2019

sleep1979 wrote:
08 May 2019
modecca wrote:
08 May 2019


Splendid advice sir.
Weed was much worse for me than alcohol ever was , ruined my confidence made me paranoid shy , nervous afraid question myself , all those things that wasn't a part of me before that also arent now i don’t recommend weed to people growing up ive also seen people violent when they don't have it , like anything if you abuse it it becomes a bad thing but alcohol is an every now and then thing but messes my singing voice up my concentration my fitness for like a week afterwards a mad session so it’s probably not worth it anymore 🙂
I can relate 100 percent.
I sometimes wonder how some people can smoke weed all day and remain somewhat functional(I dropped out of college during a heavy weed phase back in the day).
Weed is like a 2 days a week maximum for me and I do it an hour or 2 before bed. It can making watching shows or creative activities very interesting, but can just as easily make me feel everything thing I do is cringey as fuck and the last thing I want to do is talk to anybody on that stuff.
I like that you point out the crankiness of a person who doesn't have weed as that is an underrated observation, that I have personally witnessed many times.

Alcohol like weed for me is best, as before bed type of thing, because when I am done I am not motivated to do anything productive.

Tobacco: This has to be a once every week deal cause those things are insanely addictive. I am constantly throwing away swisher sweets cause if I have them I will smoke them I cant save them for special occasions.
Moderation= these things are good rewards if you can consistently control the frequency of their use so they don't:
affect your health
interfere with a functional lifestyle
¡ɹǝɥʇoɥɔɐǝ ɟo doʇ uo pǝʞɔɐʇs llɐ 'sǝɹuǝƃ ʇuǝɹǝɟɟᴉp 9 uᴉ 'sƃuos ʇuǝɹǝɟɟᴉp 9 oʇ ƃuᴉuǝʇsᴉl ɟo soɐɥɔ ƃuᴉɯlɐɔ ǝɥʇ ǝʞᴉl ƃuᴉɥʇou sᴉ ǝɹǝɥ┴

sleep1979

Post 08 May 2019

modecca wrote:
08 May 2019
sleep1979 wrote:
08 May 2019


Weed was much worse for me than alcohol ever was , ruined my confidence made me paranoid shy , nervous afraid question myself , all those things that wasn't a part of me before that also arent now i don’t recommend weed to people growing up ive also seen people violent when they don't have it , like anything if you abuse it it becomes a bad thing but alcohol is an every now and then thing but messes my singing voice up my concentration my fitness for like a week afterwards a mad session so it’s probably not worth it anymore 🙂
I can relate 100 percent.
I sometimes wonder how some people can smoke weed all day and remain somewhat functional(I dropped out of college during a heavy weed phase back in the day).
Weed is like a 2 days a week maximum for me and I do it an hour or 2 before bed. It can making watching shows or creative activities very interesting, but can just as easily make me feel everything thing I do is cringey as fuck and the last thing I want to do is talk to anybody on that stuff.
I like that you point out the crankiness of a person who doesn't have weed as that is an underrated observation, that I have personally witnessed many times.

Alcohol like weed for me is best, as before bed type of thing, because when I am done I am not motivated to do anything productive.

Tobacco: This has to be a once every week deal cause those things are insanely addictive. I am constantly throwing away swisher sweets cause if I have them I will smoke them I cant save them for special occasions.
Moderation= these things are good rewards if you can consistently control the frequency of their use so they don't:
affect your health
interfere with a functional lifestyle
Your absolutely right dude if u can moderate like that hats off too you if i ws on a boat id drink the bar dry and swim to shore to find the nearest off licence /liquer store , i stole that quote from russell brand .

User avatar
modecca
Posts: 728
Joined: 07 Jul 2016

Post 08 May 2019

ah Russell is behind this abstinence ... what advice does he have for computer addiction!
¡ɹǝɥʇoɥɔɐǝ ɟo doʇ uo pǝʞɔɐʇs llɐ 'sǝɹuǝƃ ʇuǝɹǝɟɟᴉp 9 uᴉ 'sƃuos ʇuǝɹǝɟɟᴉp 9 oʇ ƃuᴉuǝʇsᴉl ɟo soɐɥɔ ƃuᴉɯlɐɔ ǝɥʇ ǝʞᴉl ƃuᴉɥʇou sᴉ ǝɹǝɥ┴

  • Information
  • Who is online

    Users browsing this forum: CommonCrawl [Bot] and 0 guests