giving up alcohol

This forum is for anything not Reason related, if you just want to talk about other stuff. Please keep it friendly!
reggie1979

Post 26 Jul 2019

Plastered. I tried, but life is just too shitty.

motuscott

Post 26 Jul 2019

Each day is a new start.
Sometimes a cigar is just a synth that's on fire

reggie1979

Post 26 Jul 2019

motuscott wrote:
26 Jul 2019
Each day is a new start.
No. Each day is a new POS that infests enterprise. Awful forums, awful people, awful circumstances, awful life. If I could catch a break, I'd be golden. I've proven I can go significant periods of time w/o.

But even though this is hypocritical in some ways, being w/o was more tasking than with.

I mean, between my bills and my cat, I'm now running a balance on my VISA bill. Is 3-4 bucks a month going to kill me? No, but it's ashamed none the less. It's gonna be a while before I dig myself out of this hole. Booze makes it easier.

I realize this doesn't sit well with others, but you are not in my situation. You don't get (nor do you probably care) what I'm going through. I went nearly two weeks w/o booze and it didn't improve anything (including my financial situation)

Think what you want, and understand that I do wish to be sober, but I'm drowning in life. No fucking "rehab" is going to fix that!

Zac

Post 27 Jul 2019

I've been meaning to write here for a while so this is only partially in response to your post Reggie. I hope you find some peace with or without booze.

I'm on sober day 56 which amazes me more and more each day. For me, I had to replace booze with something. Booze was such a huge part of my life that just going without always failed. I am an alcoholic, I hated to admit it but I am. I'm 47 and fairly bright and still I spent most of my life in denial. Alcoholism is a disease that tries to convince me I don't have it.

I have replaced booze with AA and it is working for me. I am very grateful. I needed to change and slowly I am. Life is getting better each day. I used to think about booze all the time, even when doing something fun.... are we going for a drink afterwards?? The obsession and compulsion rarely affect me at present and it is a huge relief. I did step 5 with my sponsor yesterday and that was another bit of progress. I needed help and thankfully I am getting it. I like myself a lot more, the more I try to remove my will from my life. Weird? but true.

I hope this doesn't sound sanctimonious or the like. I know AA isn't for everyone, it's just working for me :)
Now available, see viewtopic.php?f=8&t=7512836
New tune (Happy House) 'big fat' viewtopic.php?f=9&t=7513201

motuscott

Post 27 Jul 2019

That's good to hear Zac.
Sometimes a cigar is just a synth that's on fire

reggie1979

Post 27 Jul 2019

Congrats Zac, keep it up!

boingy

Post 27 Jul 2019

reggie1979 wrote:
26 Jul 2019
Plastered. I tried, but life is just too shitty.
You fell off the wagon. It happens.

You can get back on the wagon or you can choose to stay off it. Both choices have a downside!

reasonsuser88

Post 27 Jul 2019

Zac wrote:
27 Jul 2019
I'm on sober day 56 which amazes me more and more each day.
Good job man. Wow time flies. I'm on Day 124. I never thought I could do it after 10+ years of continuous drinking. I'm coincidentally going through a difficult time on a personal mental level and I'm probably gonna break up with my cohabiting girlfriend. I've come too far to numb myself now and this is just part of facing reality. There's a lot more to it than just not drinking which I think is important for people to understand.

reggie1979

Post 27 Jul 2019

If I had a life, it would be so much easier. I went about 14 days and there were some really good things about it. But I have a less then ideal (to put it mildly) living situation and there is always a lot of tension.

Mr Wallet gave up. I am now, for the first time in over 15 years, running a balance on Mr Visa. And I've got about 1000 bucks worth of bills that I've been putting off so fuck it.

Damn, why can't I win the lottery.... oh that's right, I can't afford to play (crying)

Zac

Post 27 Jul 2019

reasonsuser88 wrote:
27 Jul 2019
Zac wrote:
27 Jul 2019
I'm on sober day 56 which amazes me more and more each day.
Good job man. Wow time flies. I'm on Day 124. I never thought I could do it after 10+ years of continuous drinking. I'm coincidentally going through a difficult time on a personal mental level and I'm probably gonna break up with my cohabiting girlfriend. I've come too far to numb myself now and this is just part of facing reality. There's a lot more to it than just not drinking which I think is important for people to understand.
You sound in a good frame of mind despite the possible break up. Facing life on life's terms is not something I'm used to but it makes me feel better when I face reality - I diversified my problem by gambling away some money but I've got through it.

For me, realising that stopping drinking was just curing a symptom, and that my thinking was the main issue was huge.

Hope things work out ok with what you're going through.

Zac

Post 27 Jul 2019

reggie1979 wrote:
27 Jul 2019
Congrats Zac, keep it up!
Thanks Reggie, all the best.

• Information