giving up alcohol

This forum is for anything not Reason related, if you just want to talk about other stuff. Please keep it friendly!
sleep1979
Posts: 961
Joined: 20 Jul 2017

Post 06 Jun 2019

reasonsuser88 wrote:
06 Jun 2019
sleep1979 wrote:
06 Jun 2019

I think the riddler and his band of assistants have hacked this thread 😂 , i think u can do overall health on your own , just need consistance but its a lifestyle change which is hard when you have been living it one way for a long time .
I keep getting you and the other 1979 mixed up. Yeah overall health and lifestyle improvement can be done on your own (when you're not facing real medical issues) and that's more or less what I did. Something I didn't realize after 10 years of drinking is that it can take quite a while for the brain to adjust. I'm going through some dramatic changes now after 72 days of abstinence. The nootropic supplements are going to be interesting and I ordered a meal replacement mix too. My appetite has been shot to hell and I'm not eating right. I was eating healthier when I was drinking to be honest but I'm going to start a fortified meal replacement drink next week.
Cool hope u do well with it , eating right being healthier is no good if i go on a weekend long bender and smash my body to bits takes me a week to get brain and breathing back to normal , and i eat loads and loads of food when in drinking like eastern europeans do ( I'm from england ) i think also ita no good doing all this healthy body shit if your just staying indoors , healthy mind is the most important i think gettting out talking to humans is key for brain health

Lokey
Posts: 39
Joined: 05 May 2019

Post 06 Jun 2019

reasonsuser88 wrote:
05 Jun 2019
Lokey wrote:
05 Jun 2019
Basically you have to create your own myth bout your quitting that will become an entity like a passive income product on the market will be challenged by /fighting others myths/entities even when your sleeping.
This is one of the techniques I used. I told myself that not drinking would help me open my third eye and communicate with another realm to inspire my creativity. Alcohol just dumbs people down and prevents them from reaching their full potential. One could argue that it can be used as a tool in social situations but I'm at a point now of thinking it is a crutch.
Cilantro , cider vinegar, lemon, basic ph water are ways to decalcify your pineal gland , but Many ppl will still doubt bout it and think you are as crazy as Jeanne dark
fl mobile

Lokey
Posts: 39
Joined: 05 May 2019

Post 06 Jun 2019

sleep1979 wrote:
05 Jun 2019
Lokey wrote:
04 Jun 2019


What s the point of drinking without smoking a cig?
Exactly eat a pie at the same time ,
I failed last weekend i drunk three days in a row when the kids weren’t and here had the worse hangover of my life on sunday and still feel terrible today and its Wednesday,
Man i think i really need to be an exercising person , ok so four days now lets start again shall we 🥴
Exactly when im tapping into myths IS for this https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Joseph_Campbell
If your a créative person you will want to create your own path
It included you searching for help and still writting
fl mobile

User avatar
reasonsuser88
Posts: 234
Joined: 29 Apr 2019

Post 06 Jun 2019

Lokey wrote:
06 Jun 2019
Cilantro , cider vinegar, lemon, basic ph water are ways to decalcify your pineal gland , but Many ppl will still doubt bout it and think you are as crazy as Jeanne dark
Yes I've looked into that and cutting alcohol was just a part of a much bigger equation.

reggie1979
Posts: 613
Joined: 11 Apr 2019

Post 06 Jun 2019

I'm sorry to hear the Sleep had a setback.

I'm also sorry that so many wannabe experts feel the need to shame people with a legitimate problem. Finding answers on the internet is absurd, but there is really no reason for anything other than sympathy for us. It doesn't have to be "there there, now now" but it shouldn't be the kinda shaming I've experienced.

The title is "giving up alcohol" not "random drill Sargent scolds drinkers with a desire to stop" ........ ;)

User avatar
Zac
Posts: 1400
Joined: 19 May 2016

Post 07 Jun 2019

I've been living in a 'wet' room in supported accommodation for just over 2 years. I've done nothing in that time, just drank.

I got myself evicted on Friday afternoon (31st). I'd been drinking whisky for the last 24h and I lost it. I phoned the housing association office and started telling them how crap they were. I tipped the rubbish bin out over the front yard and i threatened a guy in the house who i didn't like. The manager came and immediately evicted me. I left with nothing because he advised me to take a rucksack and sleeping bag and so I didn't.

I woke up under a hedge in a nearby park in the early hours of Saturday morning shivering like a madman. I had some whisky left and a bottle of cider. I took a few swigs of the cider because i was so thirsty but when it got light i threw all the booze away.

By Sunday i was desperate to get my sleeping bag and the weekend worker took pity on me and let me into my room to get it.

On Monday i went to talk to the manager and apologised and asked what happens next with my belongings etc. He asked me if I'd drank and i said not since the early hours of Saturday. He said he'd write me a supporting letter and where to go to register as homeless.

I went to an AA meeting on Monday night.

To make this shorter, to my great fortune, a vacancy at a 'dry' house became available on Tuesday at the same housing association and because of my change of attitude and desire to stop drinking the manager offered it to me.

I slept in my new bed Tuesday night. I have been to an AA meeting everyday and have phoned to start engaging with talking therapies.

This is my chance. If I drink, I'm out. I'm going to take all the help I can to change. I'm sick of my alcoholic thinking as much as my drinking.
Image
Now available, see viewtopic.php?f=8&t=7512836
New tune (Happy House) 'big fat' viewtopic.php?f=9&t=7513201

User avatar
diminished
Posts: 915
Joined: 15 Dec 2018

Post 07 Jun 2019

Zac that's tough man. Woah. But it's your chance. Best of luck!!!

User avatar
reasonsuser88
Posts: 234
Joined: 29 Apr 2019

Post 07 Jun 2019

Zac wrote:
07 Jun 2019
This is my chance. If I drink, I'm out. I'm going to take all the help I can to change. I'm sick of my alcoholic thinking as much as my drinking.
That's one hell of a story and I hope you can move forward. It seems you're at the end of your rope now and I'm glad you're willing to change.

User avatar
Zac
Posts: 1400
Joined: 19 May 2016

Post 07 Jun 2019

diminished wrote:
07 Jun 2019
Zac that's tough man. Woah. But it's your chance. Best of luck!!!
Thanks.
Image
Now available, see viewtopic.php?f=8&t=7512836
New tune (Happy House) 'big fat' viewtopic.php?f=9&t=7513201

MrFigg
Posts: 2414
Joined: 20 Apr 2018

Post 07 Jun 2019

Zac. H20 instead of C2H6O. :).
You know the score.
C

User avatar
Zac
Posts: 1400
Joined: 19 May 2016

Post 07 Jun 2019

reasonsuser88 wrote:
07 Jun 2019
Zac wrote:
07 Jun 2019
This is my chance. If I drink, I'm out. I'm going to take all the help I can to change. I'm sick of my alcoholic thinking as much as my drinking.
That's one hell of a story and I hope you can move forward. It seems you're at the end of your rope now and I'm glad you're willing to change.
I went to AA for 3 months nearly 3 years ago but never really got the spiritual side, for me back then I thought it was all about stopping drinking.

This time I'm going to get a sponsor and do the steps and anything else I can to change my alcoholic thinking.

You've been a good example P. Thanks.
Image
Now available, see viewtopic.php?f=8&t=7512836
New tune (Happy House) 'big fat' viewtopic.php?f=9&t=7513201

User avatar
Zac
Posts: 1400
Joined: 19 May 2016

Post 07 Jun 2019

MrFigg wrote:
07 Jun 2019
Zac. H20 instead of C2H6O. :).
You know the score.
C
That made me smile C.

Looking forward to hearing your improved guitar skills soon... ?
Image
Now available, see viewtopic.php?f=8&t=7512836
New tune (Happy House) 'big fat' viewtopic.php?f=9&t=7513201

MrFigg
Posts: 2414
Joined: 20 Apr 2018

Post 07 Jun 2019

Zac wrote:
07 Jun 2019
MrFigg wrote:
07 Jun 2019
Zac. H20 instead of C2H6O. :).
You know the score.
C
That made me smile C.

Looking forward to hearing your improved guitar skills soon... ?
It’s a promise :).

User avatar
reasonsuser88
Posts: 234
Joined: 29 Apr 2019

Post 07 Jun 2019

Zac wrote:
07 Jun 2019
You've been a good example P. Thanks.
Thanks man. I never thought I could be a good example so this is a win for me. Hehe.

Lokey
Posts: 39
Joined: 05 May 2019

Post 07 Jun 2019

So i was exercising a lot these past years and could managed some good amount of alcool and then i stopped the work out routine for one month and maintained my' high calory+ alcool deer god took 2 kilograms in my bellys now i feel like i cant breath properly due to that extra thingy on my abs
fl mobile

Lokey
Posts: 39
Joined: 05 May 2019

Post 07 Jun 2019

So i was to the store today ( the poors store with only weird ppl) and so waiting in queue behind two italians weird ppl already, so close to the end some one girl Said this Guy wont Come before us , i Said excuse me ? I was right behind the italians guys , so the italians guys said he IS with us , then she started to apologies and i Said no problem
fl mobile

User avatar
challism
Posts: 1498
Joined: 17 Jan 2015

Post 08 Jun 2019

This is my first time poking my head in this thread. I just gotta say that I'm impressed with the way you guys are supporting and encouraging each other. I can feel the love in this thread. You guys have put a big smile on my face. Thanks. And the best of luck to those of you battling this demon. Alcohol is a terrible drug and has ruined so many lives. Hang in there. Tomorrow will be an easier/better day. Much love!

reggie1979
Posts: 613
Joined: 11 Apr 2019

Post 08 Jun 2019

I don't completely agree. I see an awful lot of shades that don't offer anything other than captain obvious stuff which would be nice, but isn't what is the real-deal.

Anyone would like to quit drinking if it's a problem. I dare ANYONE to argue why that is what people actually do.

User avatar
motuscott
Posts: 1527
Joined: 16 Jan 2015
Location: the new york

Post 09 Jun 2019

Zac wrote:
07 Jun 2019
I've been living in a 'wet' room in supported accommodation for just over 2 years. I've done nothing in that time, just drank.

I got myself evicted on Friday afternoon (31st). I'd been drinking whisky for the last 24h and I lost it. I phoned the housing association office and started telling them how crap they were. I tipped the rubbish bin out over the front yard and i threatened a guy in the house who i didn't like. The manager came and immediately evicted me. I left with nothing because he advised me to take a rucksack and sleeping bag and so I didn't.

I woke up under a hedge in a nearby park in the early hours of Saturday morning shivering like a madman. I had some whisky left and a bottle of cider. I took a few swigs of the cider because i was so thirsty but when it got light i threw all the booze away.

By Sunday i was desperate to get my sleeping bag and the weekend worker took pity on me and let me into my room to get it.

On Monday i went to talk to the manager and apologised and asked what happens next with my belongings etc. He asked me if I'd drank and i said not since the early hours of Saturday. He said he'd write me a supporting letter and where to go to register as homeless.

I went to an AA meeting on Monday night.

To make this shorter, to my great fortune, a vacancy at a 'dry' house became available on Tuesday at the same housing association and because of my change of attitude and desire to stop drinking the manager offered it to me.

I slept in my new bed Tuesday night. I have been to an AA meeting everyday and have phoned to start engaging with talking therapies.

This is my chance. If I drink, I'm out. I'm going to take all the help I can to change. I'm sick of my alcoholic thinking as much as my drinking.
Well I've refrained from posting on this thread "giving up alcohol" cos it's not really my CV, but Hang in there Zac. I've enjoyed our online sparring. You seem like a smart guy. This too will pass.
Sometimes a cigar is just a synth that's on fire

User avatar
Zac
Posts: 1400
Joined: 19 May 2016

Post 09 Jun 2019

motuscott wrote:
09 Jun 2019
Zac wrote:
07 Jun 2019
I've been living in a 'wet' room in supported accommodation for just over 2 years. I've done nothing in that time, just drank.

I got myself evicted on Friday afternoon (31st). I'd been drinking whisky for the last 24h and I lost it. I phoned the housing association office and started telling them how crap they were. I tipped the rubbish bin out over the front yard and i threatened a guy in the house who i didn't like. The manager came and immediately evicted me. I left with nothing because he advised me to take a rucksack and sleeping bag and so I didn't.

I woke up under a hedge in a nearby park in the early hours of Saturday morning shivering like a madman. I had some whisky left and a bottle of cider. I took a few swigs of the cider because i was so thirsty but when it got light i threw all the booze away.

By Sunday i was desperate to get my sleeping bag and the weekend worker took pity on me and let me into my room to get it.

On Monday i went to talk to the manager and apologised and asked what happens next with my belongings etc. He asked me if I'd drank and i said not since the early hours of Saturday. He said he'd write me a supporting letter and where to go to register as homeless.

I went to an AA meeting on Monday night.

To make this shorter, to my great fortune, a vacancy at a 'dry' house became available on Tuesday at the same housing association and because of my change of attitude and desire to stop drinking the manager offered it to me.

I slept in my new bed Tuesday night. I have been to an AA meeting everyday and have phoned to start engaging with talking therapies.

This is my chance. If I drink, I'm out. I'm going to take all the help I can to change. I'm sick of my alcoholic thinking as much as my drinking.
Well I've refrained from posting on this thread "giving up alcohol" cos it's not really my CV, but Hang in there Zac. I've enjoyed our online sparring. You seem like a smart guy. This too will pass.
Hehe thanks motuscott. I've always seen you as an online friend but I can live with sparring partner.
Image
Now available, see viewtopic.php?f=8&t=7512836
New tune (Happy House) 'big fat' viewtopic.php?f=9&t=7513201

reggie1979
Posts: 613
Joined: 11 Apr 2019

Post 10 Jun 2019

This is maybe the single biggest challenge I've faced. It's even different from when I first posted.

I tried to contact a place, but they blew me off. Now what? AA? I'm not on-board with their "12 steps" nonsense.

I just want to quit drinking. It's making me physically ill. I don't have unlimited financial resources................

User avatar
Zac
Posts: 1400
Joined: 19 May 2016

Post 11 Jun 2019

reggie1979 wrote:
10 Jun 2019
This is maybe the single biggest challenge I've faced. It's even different from when I first posted.

I tried to contact a place, but they blew me off. Now what? AA? I'm not on-board with their "12 steps" nonsense.

I just want to quit drinking. It's making me physically ill. I don't have unlimited financial resources................
I did 3 months of AA nearly 3 years ago and I didn't get it. I just wanted to stop drinking, I didn't realise that I needed to change.

This time I realise I'll never stop drinking unless I change my alcoholic thinking and that means addressing the spiritual side of things. All the anger, lying, resentments etc, they have to be recognised and I need to find a new way of living without turning to alcohol.

I'm going to be getting my sponsor at tonight's meeting so I can start working the 12 steps. Whenever I go to a meeting I see other happy people it has worked for. I want that, so I'm going to put the work in.

I saw my sister yesterday. It was great.
Image
Now available, see viewtopic.php?f=8&t=7512836
New tune (Happy House) 'big fat' viewtopic.php?f=9&t=7513201

MrFigg
Posts: 2414
Joined: 20 Apr 2018

Post 11 Jun 2019

Zac wrote:
11 Jun 2019




I did 3 months of AA nearly 3 years ago and I didn't get it. I just wanted to stop drinking, I didn't realise that I needed to change.

This time I realise I'll never stop drinking unless I change my alcoholic thinking and that means addressing the spiritual side of things. All the anger, lying, resentments etc, they have to be recognised and I need to find a new way of living without turning to alcohol.

I'm going to be getting my sponsor at tonight's meeting so I can start working the 12 steps. Whenever I go to a meeting I see other happy people it has worked for. I want that, so I'm going to put the work in.

I saw my sister yesterday. It was great.
That’s great Zac. Stick with it if you can. 12 step has a great success rate (although it doesn’t suit everyone). One of my best friends has been clean from heroin for 20 years despite that he still wakes up every morning with a craving. He goes to NA meetings from time to time even now just to keep grounded.

mmm
Posts: 6
Joined: 16 Oct 2018

Post 11 Jun 2019

My 2 pence: once upon a time i was in the maelstrom of addiction. Actually, it almost killed me. The accompanying lifestyle made it harder and harder to live with myself and the decisions i made. Furthermore, i was so far removed from any sort of normal human interaction. The only thing that counts is getting your next fix and that pushes you right to the edge of society and one tries to compensate the lack of love and compassion with even more substance abuse. After almost 2 decades of running from my family, my sister managed to get through to me and the subsequent rehab in combination with a few years of attending NA meetings got me clean and sober (for almost 7years now). I guess the point i am trying to make is that for me the key to becoming sober was finding my place in society again more than anything. It was an overwhelming feeling, knowing that someone loves me even with all the baggage i brought along. It gave me the confidence identiifying my own problems and not blaming everyone/-thing around me. I get it, NA/AA is not for everyone, i´m convinced though that everyone needs love and compassion. And i am not a hippy, more like a serious pragmatist. Good luck to anyone trying to kick their habit, you´re worth it! ;-)

MrFigg
Posts: 2414
Joined: 20 Apr 2018

Post 11 Jun 2019

mmm wrote:
11 Jun 2019
My 2 pence: once upon a time i was in the maelstrom of addiction. Actually, it almost killed me. The accompanying lifestyle made it harder and harder to live with myself and the decisions i made. Furthermore, i was so far removed from any sort of normal human interaction. The only thing that counts is getting your next fix and that pushes you right to the edge of society and one tries to compensate the lack of love and compassion with even more substance abuse. After almost 2 decades of running from my family, my sister managed to get through to me and the subsequent rehab in combination with a few years of attending NA meetings got me clean and sober (for almost 7years now). I guess the point i am trying to make is that for me the key to becoming sober was finding my place in society again more than anything. It was an overwhelming feeling, knowing that someone loves me even with all the baggage i brought along. It gave me the confidence identiifying my own problems and not blaming everyone/-thing around me. I get it, NA/AA is not for everyone, i´m convinced though that everyone needs love and compassion. And i am not a hippy, more like a serious pragmatist. Good luck to anyone trying to kick their habit, you´re worth it! ;-)
F*cking excellent man. Strong. Well done.

  • Information
  • Who is online

    Users browsing this forum: CommonCrawl [Bot] and 0 guests