giving up alcohol

This forum is for anything not Reason related, if you just want to talk about other stuff. Please keep it friendly!
Termigator

09 Oct 2022

Aosta wrote:
09 Oct 2022
Termigator wrote:
09 Oct 2022
did you stop both bro ?
Yes, I gave up drinking first and then smoking in the space of around 6 months. Been over a decade since I took a sip or inhaled anything.
well done bro

how
do you fair at social gatherings ?

miyaru

09 Oct 2022

Like I stated before: I quit drinking like about 30 yrs ago and smoking 16 yrs ago. I do not mind entering social gatherings. I'm never tempted anymore, and feel completely fine doing so. What people think or talk about me: I do not care! This me, my life and myself being OK with it........
Greetings from Miyaru.
Prodaw i7-7700, 16Gb Ram, Focusrite Scarlett 18i20 3rd gen, ESI M4U eX, Reason12, Live Suit 10, Push2, Presonus Eris E8 and Monitor Station V2, Lexicon MPX1,
Korg N1, Yamaha RM1x :thumbup:

Aosta

09 Oct 2022

Termigator wrote:
09 Oct 2022

well done bro

how
Absolutely fine, I think the problem most addicts have is that they allow the substance (whatever it is) too much power and importance over them. No one needs a substance to go to a social gathering and if other's do then that is their reality not yours.
I see drinking and smoking as something I just used to do, it has no hold on my life now just like there was part of my life before I drank and smoked. I barely think about it, it was part of my life that no longer exists except in my head.
I prefer focusing on the here and now.
Tend the flame

miyaru

09 Oct 2022

Aosta wrote:
09 Oct 2022
Termigator wrote:
09 Oct 2022

well done bro

how
Absolutely fine, I think the problem most addicts have is that they allow the substance (whatever it is) too much power and importance over them. No one needs a substance to go to a social gathering and if other's do then that is their reality not yours.
I see drinking and smoking as something I just used to do, it has no hold on my life now just like there was part of my life before I drank and smoked. I barely think about it, it was part of my life that no longer exists except in my head.
Amen!
Greetings from Miyaru.
Prodaw i7-7700, 16Gb Ram, Focusrite Scarlett 18i20 3rd gen, ESI M4U eX, Reason12, Live Suit 10, Push2, Presonus Eris E8 and Monitor Station V2, Lexicon MPX1,
Korg N1, Yamaha RM1x :thumbup:

Termigator

09 Oct 2022

Aosta wrote:
09 Oct 2022
Termigator wrote:
09 Oct 2022

well done bro

how
you know what is depressing acosta

when i made this post and i was much better mentally and physically than i am now
and still haven’t realessed that ep ( wrote some good songs )
and now i’m still thinking

i gave up smoking and made myself well before by completly telling myself things like

for smoking

“smoking is disgusting “
“i’m a non smoker “

and it worked 17 years later no smoking

for my mind

“this stuff is just a glitch hold on”

and it worked

with alcohol i think instead of being like

yes i’m gonna give up alcohol

it needs to be more like

“i dont need alcohol
“i’m a non drinker from today
etc

but what is so depresssiing is i wrote this post
and ive got worse so so depressing isn’t it

( ps dont ban me moderators i’m different now thanks )

fullforce

09 Oct 2022

Aosta wrote:
09 Oct 2022
Yes, I gave up drinking first and then smoking in the space of around 6 months. Been over a decade since I took a sip or inhaled anything.
For me, they're pretty much paired. If I don't drink, I don't smoke. Don't even care for a cigarette but when I've had about 3 to 4 glasses yeah I get a craving. When I do, I don't like it and put out the cig before I even finish half of it and I'm done for the evening. It's been a tough 3 days and the new job starts tomorrow so I hope I'll feel ok. I got some anti-anxiety stuff to help me if necessary (very light dose of Xanax). Should be good though.

It's not just the absence of alcohol but it's also the habit of drinking wine. Now it's just water (lots) and coffee (not too much).

But hey, you know what Peter Gabriel said about habits.
This is a block of text that can be added to posts you make. There is a 255 character limit.

fullforce

09 Oct 2022

Termigator wrote:
09 Oct 2022
i’m
unemplyed at the moment now because of this and when you want it for free you have to go on a waiting list
Hang in there mate. Maybe the fact that I resurrected this thread is a bit of a wake up call for you.
This is a block of text that can be added to posts you make. There is a 255 character limit.

fullforce

09 Oct 2022

Termigator wrote:
09 Oct 2022

it needs to be more like

“i dont need alcohol
etc

Well, maybe time to try again. Wake up in the morning and think "this is the day". Say no. I had a few very tough moments saturday (and I'll probably have some tonight) when I thought to myself "ahhh well one can't hurt" and that's the trap that I've also fallen into a few times already. Tell yourself NO ASSHOLE, DON'T FUCKING DO IT!

Sleep it off. If you can't sleep, lay awake, think, ponder, whatever. If you can read a book, read a book, fuck around with the computer, play some stupid games. But whatever you do, do NOT touch that bottle. I don't even have to get it out of the house, I got a bottle next to me right now, but I'm not touching it. I think that works even better than not having it in your house. Kind of an extra challenge.

Termigator

09 Oct 2022

fullforce wrote:
09 Oct 2022
Termigator wrote:
09 Oct 2022

it needs to be more like

“i dont need alcohol
etc

Well, maybe time to try again. Wake up in the morning and think "this is the day". Say no. I had a few very tough moments saturday (and I'll probably have some tonight) when I thought to myself "ahhh well one can't hurt" and that's the trap that I've also fallen into a few times already. Tell yourself NO ASSHOLE, DON'T FUCKING DO IT!

Sleep it off. If you can't sleep, lay awake, think, ponder, whatever. If you can read a book, read a book, fuck around with the computer, play some stupid games. But whatever you do, do NOT touch that bottle. I don't even have to get it out of the house, I got a bottle next to me right now, but I'm not touching it. I think that works even better than not having it in your house. Kind of an extra challenge.
actually my brothers dad ( we have the same mum )

was an alcoholic who went clean

had a bottle of scotch whiskey in his house
and i was like why if you don’t drink ?
and he was like because if i have it there then i know i can have it if i really want it but i never have it

so maybe your on to something there

Termigator

09 Oct 2022

there’s never no point in having one

id rather have a pepsi

loads of none seems how i go

yeah time to fix up

3 years ago this post wow

fullforce

09 Oct 2022

Termigator wrote:
09 Oct 2022
I've found that I'm more tempted to get some, if I don't have any, than that I am to have a drink when I have it in the house. Like I said, kind of an extra challenge. I'm also not saying that I'm never gonna drink again but I need a good hiatus to break the cycle and well, get a good start at my new job without being wrecked in the morning. :lol:

Who knows, for now it's still one day at the time. But you know that.

fullforce

09 Oct 2022

Termigator wrote:
09 Oct 2022
there’s never no point in having one

id rather have a pepsi

loads of none seems how i go

yeah time to fix up

3 years ago this post wow
You might wanna read this:

https://www.cracked.com/blog/the-6-most ... ting-sober

Skip the one by John Cheese though. He's an asshole.

Termigator

09 Oct 2022

fullforce wrote:
09 Oct 2022
Termigator wrote:
09 Oct 2022
I've found that I'm more tempted to get some, if I don't have any, than that I am to have a drink when I have it in the house. Like I said, kind of an extra challenge. I'm also not saying that I'm never gonna drink again but I need a good hiatus to break the cycle and well, get a good start at my new job without being wrecked in the morning. :lol:

Who knows, for now it's still one day at the time. But you know that.
my brother is a full blown alcoholic
and i am not, but i’ve been a binge drinker for years
and its just too much when i do

but like i said if you say your gonna give up but part of you is like , hmm do you mean forever ? i’m not really confident but i’d like too
it ain’t gonna happen i feel like it’s gotta be something
you have to wholly be like “ im a non drinker from today

the mind is powerful

and god knows what ever you tell it it will start to believe

and u can sorta talk bullshit you kinda don’t believe

until you do believe it

kinda like fake it until u make it
but atm i’ve worked that backwards by telling myself loads of crazy shit i messed my brain up badly

and i kinda made myself believe i can’t get out of it

but as i’ve learned it’s hard

but you can bullshit your mind by repeatedly telling it
lines over and over like hardwireing it in

but it has to be a decision

that you think is possible

then you can start to make yourself believe it

and grow and grow in confidence with your decision

if i’m honest to myself looking back over this post

i was like

“ yeah i’d like to do that and i’m gonna try
but i dunno if that means forever we will see

and that creates a space for doubt on the decision

so next time
your bored or down u
your brain can be like
“ well we didn’t say forever did we

brains why are they so messed up and complex ay 😂

MrFigg
Competition Winner

10 Oct 2022

Termigator wrote:
08 Oct 2022
i am sleep1979
Did this with Diminished around the same time you disappeared. Coincidence?

viewtopic.php?f=9&t=7513713&hilit=Sleep+deprivation
🗲 2ॐ ᛉ

Termigator

10 Oct 2022

MrFigg wrote:
10 Oct 2022
Termigator wrote:
08 Oct 2022
i am sleep1979
Did this with Diminished around the same time you disappeared. Coincidence?

viewtopic.php?f=9&t=7513713&hilit=Sleep+deprivation
i like the dreamy guitar you do mate and the others guys mixing is really clean very nice

RobC

10 Oct 2022

Don't give up! : D

Propellerhands

10 Oct 2022

RobC wrote:
10 Oct 2022
Don't give up! : D
we shall drink to that! :clap:
"Shut the fuck up and use the software. It's great." - stillifegaijin on Reason

RobC

11 Oct 2022