Climate Change

This forum is for anything not Reason related, if you just want to talk about other stuff. Please keep it friendly!
mashers
Posts: 448
Joined: 05 Nov 2018

Post 27 Aug 2019

We are doomed eventually thanks to the fact that this planet is owned and run by corporations. CEOs only care about making their own lives better. They don't care what happens after they are dead. Just look at that cunt in charge of Brazil selling the rainforest to be burned down.

User avatar
Last Alternative
Posts: 1120
Joined: 20 Jan 2015
Location: the lost desert

Post 27 Aug 2019

mashers wrote:
27 Aug 2019
We are doomed eventually thanks to the fact that this planet is owned and run by corporations. CEOs only care about making their own lives better. They don't care what happens after they are dead. Just look at that cunt in charge of Brazil selling the rainforest to be burned down.
That’s a beautiful example of the hypocrisy and corruption and love of money with absolute hate and disregard for our planet. Goes right along with governments & the oil industry. Tesla proved long ago how to get free energy yet here we are in 2019 still with world hunger and gasoline cars.
https://lastalternative.bandcamp.com
:reason: 10.4 | iMac (27" Retina 5K, late 2015): OS Mojave, i7 Skylake @ 4GHz, 1TB SSD, 32 GB RAM, Radeon M395X | lots of sick gear

User avatar
EnochLight
Posts: 5625
Joined: 17 Jan 2015
Location: your mom

Post 27 Aug 2019

Last Alternative wrote:
27 Aug 2019
Maybe you missed that I said BIG eruptions. Yeah it’s been a while. And I’m not denying global warming or whatever but it’s being hyped worst than it is and the hypocrisy is astounding that the ones screaming at us who have the means to make a difference aren’t really doing a damn thing about it so I keep living my life trying to be green to do my part.
I saw that you wrote "big" eruptions, but that still doesn't matter. We (as in the scientific community) have all of the raw data, and over the course of the past century volcanic eruptions are practically a flat line against the very measured slope of fossil fuels:



volcano-v-fossilfuels-1750-2013-620.png


I totally agree with you that the ones who actually have the power aren't doing anything about it (read: the fossil fuel industry). Without a massive change in human society and our consumption of said fossil fuels, it's going to be an impossibly difficult thing to change.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Windows 10 | Reason 11 |  Studio One 4.5 | Intel i7 3770k @ 3.5 Ghz | 16 GB RAM | Mushkin Reactor 1TB SSD | RME Babyface Pro | Nektar Panorama P-4 | Akai MPC Live | Roland System 8 | Roland TR-8 with 7x7 Expansion | Roland TB-3 | Roland VT-4 | Roland MX-1

mashers
Posts: 448
Joined: 05 Nov 2018

Post 27 Aug 2019

Last Alternative wrote:
27 Aug 2019
Goes right along with governments & the oil industry.
Government and business are the same thing. I'm not being hyperbolic or metaphorical. They are LITERALLY the same. The exact same people involved in both, meeting privately and arranging how to engineer things to work out best for both of them. Never mind the "customers" or "citizens", otherwise known as human beings, or the countless other life-forms on the planet. As long as the wealthy few get to luxuriate in wealth, the rest can go fuck themselves. Well I am now making it my personal mission to earn as little as possible to keep under the income tax threshold. I will have my house paid off in 6 years, and after that I'm slashing my workload to below 12k per year and will not patronise any government with my money ever, ever again. As for Amazon, Apple, Google and the rest of them - they won't be seeing any more of my money. If they want to destroy the planet for their own benefit then they can do it without my help.
Last Alternative wrote:
27 Aug 2019
Tesla proved long ago how to get free energy yet here we are in 2019 still with world hunger and gasoline cars.
Yep, and a field of solar panels the size of a small ranch in Texas could provide power for the whole USA. But they aren't doing it. Why not? Does the US government lack the funds to build it? Of course not. They're just raking it in in "donations" from oil companies.

User avatar
Last Alternative
Posts: 1120
Joined: 20 Jan 2015
Location: the lost desert

Post 27 Aug 2019

It’s a problem yo. But we aren’t to blame. The satanic pedophiles who run the world are.
https://lastalternative.bandcamp.com
:reason: 10.4 | iMac (27" Retina 5K, late 2015): OS Mojave, i7 Skylake @ 4GHz, 1TB SSD, 32 GB RAM, Radeon M395X | lots of sick gear

User avatar
EnochLight
Posts: 5625
Joined: 17 Jan 2015
Location: your mom

Post 27 Aug 2019

mashers wrote:
27 Aug 2019
Last Alternative wrote:
27 Aug 2019
Tesla proved long ago how to get free energy yet here we are in 2019 still with world hunger and gasoline cars.
Yep, and a field of solar panels the size of a small ranch in Texas could provide power for the whole USA. But they aren't doing it. Why not? Does the US government lack the funds to build it? Of course not. They're just raking it in in "donations" from oil companies.
Tesla as in Nikola Tesla? Because that "free energy" thing from the early 20th century was complete science fiction. If we're talking about Tesla as in Elon Musk, then I'd say solar panels and power walls are certainly one way to get free energy, after you spend tens of thousands of dollars on the equipment to generate and store it (and factor in the cost of replacing said equipment when its life expectancy ends).

Also, a "small ranch in Texas" most certainly could NOT provide power for whole USA. Where in the hell did you read that??!!!
Last Alternative wrote:
27 Aug 2019
It’s a problem yo. But we aren’t to blame. The satanic pedophiles who run the world are.
Well, we're not to blame directly, but virtually all of us have used fossil fuel sourced products in our life. Also, satan is an imaginary human construct, but that's an entirely different conversation. :D :lol:
Windows 10 | Reason 11 |  Studio One 4.5 | Intel i7 3770k @ 3.5 Ghz | 16 GB RAM | Mushkin Reactor 1TB SSD | RME Babyface Pro | Nektar Panorama P-4 | Akai MPC Live | Roland System 8 | Roland TR-8 with 7x7 Expansion | Roland TB-3 | Roland VT-4 | Roland MX-1

mashers
Posts: 448
Joined: 05 Nov 2018

Post 27 Aug 2019

EnochLight wrote:
27 Aug 2019
Tesla as in Nikola Tesla? Because that "free energy" thing from the early 20th century was complete science fiction. If we're talking about Tesla as in Elon Musk, then I'd say solar panels and power walls are certainly one way to get free energy, after you spend tens of thousands of dollars on the equipment to generate and store it (and factor in the cost of replacing said equipment when its life expectancy ends).
The latter, obviously. Nikola Tesla could never have known the power requirements of the future nor the economic or technological means by which those needs could be met. And yes of course it requires investment in infrastructure, but this should be what governments are for. They're building power stations, so why not solar fields?
EnochLight wrote:
27 Aug 2019
Also, a "small ranch in Texas" most certainly could NOT provide power for whole USA. Where in the hell did you read that??!!!
Elon Musk. I could dig out the tweet if you like.
EnochLight wrote:
27 Aug 2019
Last Alternative wrote:
27 Aug 2019
It’s a problem yo. But we aren’t to blame. The satanic pedophiles who run the world are.
Well, we're not to blame directly, but virtually all of us have used fossil fuel sourced products in our life.
We are all complicit. Governments and corporations are nothing without revenue, and we are providing it. We need collective civil disobedience and will to stop consuming products and services from unethical organisations. That way we can starve them to death. Hopefully both figuratively and literally.
EnochLight wrote:
27 Aug 2019
Also, satan is an imaginary human construct, but that's an entirely different conversation. :D :lol:
Don't get me started on the evil of religion...

User avatar
EnochLight
Posts: 5625
Joined: 17 Jan 2015
Location: your mom

Post 27 Aug 2019

mashers wrote:
27 Aug 2019
EnochLight wrote:
27 Aug 2019
Also, a "small ranch in Texas" most certainly could NOT provide power for whole USA. Where in the hell did you read that??!!!
Elon Musk. I could dig out the tweet if you like.
That's not necessary, because it is incorrect. But we all know Elon is known for making pointedly absurd statements via Twitter, so probably not the best source anyway.

A cursory search:
Given the U.S. consumes about 4 petawatts of electricity per year, we'd need about 13,600,000 acres or 21,250 square miles of solar panels to meet the total electricity requirements of the United States for a year.
I'm confident to state that 21,250 square miles is not the size of a small ranch in Texas. Not even all of the ranches in Texas. :D :lol:
Windows 10 | Reason 11 |  Studio One 4.5 | Intel i7 3770k @ 3.5 Ghz | 16 GB RAM | Mushkin Reactor 1TB SSD | RME Babyface Pro | Nektar Panorama P-4 | Akai MPC Live | Roland System 8 | Roland TR-8 with 7x7 Expansion | Roland TB-3 | Roland VT-4 | Roland MX-1

mashers
Posts: 448
Joined: 05 Nov 2018

Post 27 Aug 2019

I think I am confusing two different things here. I found the original quote, and he said it was "a small corner of Texas (or anywhere) with solar panels could power the entire United States". The ranch thing must have been something else. Apparently Texas is 268,581 square miles. That means 12% of it could power the USA if covered in solar panels. That doesn't seem particularly excessive if a government, with a budget for providing power infrastructure, were the organisation building it.

reggie1979
Posts: 817
Joined: 11 Apr 2019

Post 27 Aug 2019

Last Alternative wrote:
27 Aug 2019
It’s a problem yo. But we aren’t to blame. The satanic pedophiles who run the world are.
Image

User avatar
Creativemind
Posts: 2969
Joined: 17 Jan 2015
Location: Stoke-On-Trent, England, UK

Post 27 Aug 2019

Last Alternative wrote:
27 Aug 2019
It’s a problem yo. But we aren’t to blame. The satanic pedophiles who run the world are.
It's Jessie Pinkman yo.
:reason:

Propellerhead Reason 10.4 / Cockus Reaper 5.982 / Cakewalk By Bandlab / Pro Tools First / Steinberg Cubase LE 5
http://soundcloud.com/creativemind75/iv ... soul-mix-3

User avatar
boingy
Posts: 670
Joined: 01 Feb 2019

Post 27 Aug 2019

I blame Reason 11.

User avatar
Creativemind
Posts: 2969
Joined: 17 Jan 2015
Location: Stoke-On-Trent, England, UK

Post 27 Aug 2019

mashers wrote:
27 Aug 2019
I think I am confusing two different things here. I found the original quote, and he said it was "a small corner of Texas (or anywhere) with solar panels could power the entire United States". The ranch thing must have been something else. Apparently Texas is 268,581 square miles. That means 12% of it could power the USA if covered in solar panels. That doesn't seem particularly excessive if a government, with a budget for providing power infrastructure, were the organisation building it.
Yeah sounds do-able if they gave a crap.
:reason:

Propellerhead Reason 10.4 / Cockus Reaper 5.982 / Cakewalk By Bandlab / Pro Tools First / Steinberg Cubase LE 5
http://soundcloud.com/creativemind75/iv ... soul-mix-3

mashers
Posts: 448
Joined: 05 Nov 2018

Post 27 Aug 2019

Creativemind wrote:
27 Aug 2019
Yeah sounds do-able if they gave a crap.
Well therein lies the problem. And if they don't care about me, I don't care about them. No more votes, and as little tax revenue as I can get away with.

User avatar
Last Alternative
Posts: 1120
Joined: 20 Jan 2015
Location: the lost desert

Post 27 Aug 2019

Yep. The game is rigged to bleed us dry with any scare tactics and means possible. As if we common peasants aren't taxed into oblivion enough already..

"They" have destroyed the world for profits and now blame and guilt trip us. But what are we supposed to do besides recycle, not be wasteful...? I'm not gonna support carbon taxes or sell my car and bike everywhere or become an activist or sacrifice my life and finances to start/join movements to clean up the world. It's up to the FAT CATS screaming at us from their high horse to do something about it. But NOOO... you got these elitist fear-mongerers living it up in the most wasteful ways one can imagine.

Global warming/Climate change is real but it's also a crock of shit because of this. AND let's face it: the solar cycle has A LOT to do with it too. Only an idiot would deny that's a factor. For example:
*Earth is overdue for a polar shift
*Earth is overdue/or almost due (can't remember rn) for an ice age
*The Yellowstone volcano is overdue for eruption (and I'm sure many more)
Earth changes and has ALWAYS been changing and I don't give a f&#$ who tries to deflect and deny it by insinuating it is purely bullsh the global warming non-believers say. No one has common sense anymore. We're ALL right about it. Unless you deny everything and think the earth is flat or whatev lol

It's like parents screaming at their kid that the house is falling apart when they have the money to fix it but they wanna take your allowance and keep partying while the entire house deteriorates around them. I dunno... what's that kid supposed to do?

I'm sick of hearing about it when they never lift a finger.... NOOO they're letting some kid do all the work , finding his own funding to clean up plastic in the ocean right now. Huge applause to the kid but it's absolutely disgusting that we don't see the FAT CATS chipping in and meanwhile wildlife is dying and our clock is ticking.
Why isn't Al Gore & Friends making a scene to stop the Amazon fires which by the way, the Amazon produces TWENTY % OF THE OXYGEN ON EARTH?
Why isn't Al Gore & Friends funding an effort to recycle in 3rd world countries and clean up the oceans and rivers?
Why isn't Al Gore & Friends chastising the corporations straight dumping toxic sludge into the air and rivers?
Why isn't Al Gore & Friends investing in solar power and electric car technology?
Why isn't Al Gore & Friends flying coach and taking taxis?
Why isn't Al Gore & Friends living modest in smaller homes and striving to make a smaller carbon footprint?

If corporations, governments, and the 1%ers came together, they could literally fix the world in every way.
Like I said, it's all a crock of shit.
Last edited by Last Alternative on 27 Aug 2019, edited 1 time in total.
https://lastalternative.bandcamp.com
:reason: 10.4 | iMac (27" Retina 5K, late 2015): OS Mojave, i7 Skylake @ 4GHz, 1TB SSD, 32 GB RAM, Radeon M395X | lots of sick gear

mashers
Posts: 448
Joined: 05 Nov 2018

Post 27 Aug 2019

Last Alternative wrote:
27 Aug 2019
what are we supposed to do besides recycle
Pointless. They've just been dumping it all in Indonesia.
Last Alternative wrote:
27 Aug 2019
It's up to the FAT CATS screaming at us from their high horse to do something about it. But NOOO... you got these elitist fear-mongerers living it up in the most wasteful ways one can imagine.
Yes Jeff Bezos has enough wealth to build solar fields to power everything and put out the fire in the rainforest, but he's too busy gadding about with rappers.
Last Alternative wrote:
27 Aug 2019
Global warming/Climate change is real but it's also a crock of shit because of this. AND let's face it: the solar cycle have a lot to do with it too. For example:
*Earth is overdue for a polar shift
*Earth is overdue for an ice age
*The Yellowstone volcano is overdue for erruption
Earth changes and I don't give a f&#$ who tries to deflect and deny it by insinuating it is purely bullsh the global warming non-believers say. No one has common sense anymore. We're ALL right about it. Unless you deny everything and think the earth is flat or whatev lol
I don't think any honest and rational person is denying any of that. We know from geological surveys that these cycles have happened before, and we have no reason to believe they won't happen again. We're just making it happen faster, and reducing the ability of the planet to be resilient to those changes (such as by damaging the ozone layer which is supposed to protect us from some of these external and uncontrollable changes).
Last Alternative wrote:
27 Aug 2019
Why isn't Al Gore & Friends making a scene to stop the Amazon fires which by the way, the Amazon produces TWENTY % OF THE OXYGEN ON EARTH?
Why isn't Al Gore & Friends funding an effort to recycle in 3rd world countries and clean up the oceans and rivers?
Why isn't Al Gore & Friends chastising the corporations straight dumping toxic sludge into the air and rivers?
Why isn't Al Gore & Friends investing in solar power and electric car technology?
Why isn't Al Gore & Friends flying coach and taking taxis?
Why isn't Al Gore & Friends living modest in smaller homes and striving to make a smaller carbon footprint?
Because they will be dead before it makes any difference to them.

User avatar
Boombastix
Posts: 755
Joined: 18 May 2018
Location: Bay Area, CA

Post 27 Aug 2019

mashers wrote:
27 Aug 2019
Last Alternative wrote:
27 Aug 2019
what are we supposed to do besides recycle
Pointless. They've just been dumping it all in Indonesia.
Yep, our "western" plastic and theirs, placed on land, hurricanes/cyclones sweeps it into the ocean. Somebody made money dumping it there - well done...
mashers wrote:
27 Aug 2019
Last Alternative wrote:
27 Aug 2019
Why isn't Al Gore & Friends making a scene to stop the Amazon fires which by the way, the Amazon produces TWENTY % OF THE OXYGEN ON EARTH?
Because they will be dead before it makes any difference to them.
One of the Koch brothers just died, one of the worst pro-polluters, but won't make a difference, just another monkey will jump in and swing in the vines. "We the people" are like drug addicts too, can't stop our over-consumption, change will need to be forced upon us like you pry candy from a screaming baby's hand - what politician will try that and ruin their position/life style/income/social status?...
10% off at Waves with link: https://www.waves.com/r/6gh2b0
Disclaimer - I get 10% as well.

reggie1979
Posts: 817
Joined: 11 Apr 2019

Post 27 Aug 2019

Man, I thought I was cynical.

mashers
Posts: 448
Joined: 05 Nov 2018

Post 28 Aug 2019

Boombastix wrote:
27 Aug 2019
change will need to be forced upon us like you pry candy from a screaming baby's hand - what politician will try that and ruin their position/life style/income/social status?...
Well precisely. Nobody will do that, because it would be career suicide.

User avatar
Kenni
Site Admin
Posts: 1243
Joined: 02 Jun 2015
Location: Copenhagen, Denmark

Post 28 Aug 2019

Last Alternative wrote:
27 Aug 2019
Why isn't Al Gore & Friends making a scene to stop the Amazon fires which by the way, the Amazon produces TWENTY % OF THE OXYGEN ON EARTH?
I'm just going to nitpick here, since it's very up-there with popular news items these days.

The Amazon produces less than 1% of the Earths oxygen. When I say less than 1%, it's closer to 0 than 1, on a global scale.

The Amazon is a biotope. That basically means it consumes almost all the oxygen it consumes. I know NGO's, the media, and celebs has been using the "Worlds lungs" term freely, and also the "fact about the 20% of the planets oxygen" misinformation.

All that misinformation does is take away focus about something that should matter more: The killing of local tribes and the destriction of a very biodiverse area on Earth. It's just, people seem to have forgotten all about Borneo. The real issue with this world is people being super duper hypocrites and pointing fingers at each other for not doing enough. Buy local food instead, force companies to stop import and export. It's as simple as that.

The Amazon isn't the "worlds lungs". Almost all the oxygen on the planet comes from the oceans, and there's plenty of oxygen for millions of years. Please don't be fooled by the media and NGO's.
Kenni Andruszkow
SoundCloud

User avatar
diminished
Posts: 1157
Joined: 15 Dec 2018

Post 28 Aug 2019

Kenni wrote:
28 Aug 2019
The Amazon isn't the "worlds lungs". Almost all the oxygen on the planet comes from the oceans, and there's plenty of oxygen for millions of years. Please don't be fooled by the media and NGO's.
Uh and which organism is it that converts H2O to O2 and H2?
If you can answer that question you'd have solved the energy crisis for good.

Do you know what photosynthesis is?

Image

User avatar
Kenni
Site Admin
Posts: 1243
Joined: 02 Jun 2015
Location: Copenhagen, Denmark

Post 28 Aug 2019

diminished wrote:
28 Aug 2019
Kenni wrote:
28 Aug 2019
The Amazon isn't the "worlds lungs". Almost all the oxygen on the planet comes from the oceans, and there's plenty of oxygen for millions of years. Please don't be fooled by the media and NGO's.
Uh and which organism is it that converts H2O to O2 and H2?
If you can answer that question you'd have solved the energy crisis for good.

Do you know what photosynthesis is?

Image
The net production of oxygen from the Amazon is close to 0. Almost all oxygen produced by the photosynthetic process is consumed by microbes and insects consuming dead branches, leafs, roots etc, in a never-ending cycle.

For a positive net production of oxygen, organic deteriation needs to happen in environments where there's either little to no oxygen consumption, or the production of oxygen changes environments on the get-go like at either the bottom of the sea or the surface. That's why nearly all of the net production of oxygen happens on the surface of the oceans by algea (through photosynthesis, yes) and let in to the atmostphere where none of the marine organisms can consume it.

Edit: I never said water was turned into O2 in the process, although evaporation does release oxygen as well.
Kenni Andruszkow
SoundCloud

User avatar
diminished
Posts: 1157
Joined: 15 Dec 2018

Post 28 Aug 2019

Alright thanks for the clarification, got your point now.
And since you were nitpicking about the "20% of all the oxygen" thing, all good.

Those currently burning plants are however desperately needed and crucial for that never-ending cycle you mentioned, which is called balance.
We can't put out more and more CO2 (it's about CO2, remember, guys?) while diminishing our means of defense. That is, letting the recycling mechanisms of CO2 in this world called plants, burn to the ground.

User avatar
diminished
Posts: 1157
Joined: 15 Dec 2018

Post 28 Aug 2019

Would you agree when I say that the rainforests are not lungs, but huge buffers or hard drives for CO2. Making them smaller releases more CO2 into the athmosphere, because where else would that go.

User avatar
Kenni
Site Admin
Posts: 1243
Joined: 02 Jun 2015
Location: Copenhagen, Denmark

Post 28 Aug 2019

diminished wrote:
28 Aug 2019
Alright thanks for the clarification, got your point now.
And since you were nitpicking about the "20% of all the oxygen" thing, all good.

Those currently burning plants are however desperately needed and crucial for that never-ending cycle you mentioned, which is called balance.
We can't put out more and more CO2 (it's about CO2, remember, guys?) while diminishing our means of defense. That is, letting the recycling mechanisms of CO2 in this world called plants, burn to the ground.
No worries, it's a generally accepted idea that the Amazon is the "worlds lungs", but it's a myth.

And while I agree with you on the point CO2, I'd just like to make it clear that the biodiversity and the native tribes are what's at stake here, first and foremost. The efforts to reduce the CO2 footprint, while important in the Amazon as well (a big CO2 well), should be made by reducing import and export, not by putting out fires.

The Amazon fire is a catastrophe each and every year (and on Borneo, and ... and ...). The deforestation severely hurts and endangers a lot of species, and tribes are being either forced to flee, burned alive or shot.
Kenni Andruszkow
SoundCloud

  • Information
  • Who is online

    Users browsing this forum: CommonCrawl [Bot] and 0 guests