Finally back in the creative groove

This forum is for anything not Reason related, if you just want to talk about other stuff. Please keep it friendly!
mashers

05 Apr 2019

I'm sure this is a situation everyone here can relate to. My three latest tracks (Terrorbytes, Hungry Animals and Space Invaders) came in a flurry. A pure creative burst that I couldn't stop. Then nothing, for weeks. I had ideas and I tried to execute them, but nothing. I tried some covers to try to keep momentum going, but nothing was working. Even weed wasn't helping, other than to add to my already growing list of ideas. And my latest (Space Invaders) was a watershed track for me, better than anything I had ever done. I was intimidated by it as it felt like I had set an unreachable bar for myself. Then finally, last night and today, I did a massive burst on something new. Meat and bones of it are done, and this is one I've been trying to write for over a year. And it's nearly done. I feel like I'm back, finally.

rgdaniel

05 Apr 2019

I've spent the last three months working on remixes for the CD I released in 2010 (of material originally written and recorded in 1996 or so). So I'm learning tons about mixing and mastering, enough to realize how little I still know. But the songwriting muscle has largely been unused in this process, the songs were all written over 20 years ago, and I'm using the original midi performance data, a few cleanups or corrections aside. Apart from some very minor arrangement tweaks, I've been concentrating on how to make it not sound crappy... I remixed all 10 songs in 2016 as well, but was never quite happy with them, and will probably take them down when I finish this bunch... After three rounds with these 2019 versions, I'm very close, I hope, only a couple of songs still need attention... I occasionally try to start something new, as an aside, to get the songwriting juices flowing again, but nothing quite gels lately... hopefully when the remix project is finally done, I'll be a bit more focused and ready to be creative again!

mashers

07 Apr 2019

rgdaniel wrote:
05 Apr 2019
I've spent the last three months working on remixes for the CD I released in 2010 (of material originally written and recorded in 1996 or so). So I'm learning tons about mixing and mastering, enough to realize how little I still know. But the songwriting muscle has largely been unused in this process, the songs were all written over 20 years ago, and I'm using the original midi performance data, a few cleanups or corrections aside. Apart from some very minor arrangement tweaks, I've been concentrating on how to make it not sound crappy... I remixed all 10 songs in 2016 as well, but was never quite happy with them, and will probably take them down when I finish this bunch... After three rounds with these 2019 versions, I'm very close, I hope, only a couple of songs still need attention... I occasionally try to start something new, as an aside, to get the songwriting juices flowing again, but nothing quite gels lately... hopefully when the remix project is finally done, I'll be a bit more focused and ready to be creative again!
I take my hat off to you. I've had to leave behind most of my old stuff. I can't go back, even though I know I could do something with it if I updated it and reworked it. I take bits and pieces I remember from old stuff that I realise could work well in a particular new project, but I can't go back and remix or rework whole tracks from the past. I just don't have the discipline in me. I'm not ruthless enough. Plus every piece is a concept for me, which makes me keep looking forward.

I listened to my new track stoned for the first time last night. I have to say it was a lovely experience. It all totally worked. Very pleased with how it's turning out, especially after the mental roadblock I'd built for myself after the last one.

rgdaniel

07 Apr 2019

mashers wrote:
07 Apr 2019
I take my hat off to you. I've had to leave behind most of my old stuff. I can't go back, even though I know I could do something with it if I updated it and reworked it. I take bits and pieces I remember from old stuff that I realise could work well in a particular new project, but I can't go back and remix or rework whole tracks from the past. I just don't have the discipline in me. I'm not ruthless enough. Plus every piece is a concept for me, which makes me keep looking forward.
I'm not exactly known for my discipline, but thank you! :puf_smile:
It's more about staying within Reason when the creative juices start to dry up, an alternative to walking away completely.
It's also because I thought I could improve on the songs, in this more advanced modern era. To my great surprise, this has proven far more difficult than I thought it would be. I don't remember struggling with a mix, back in the day, to the extent that I do now. But that could just be rose-coloured hindsight...
mashers wrote:
07 Apr 2019
I listened to my new track stoned for the first time last night. I have to say it was a lovely experience. It all totally worked. Very pleased with how it's turning out, especially after the mental roadblock I'd built for myself after the last one.
Now you're cookin' with gas! (As they used to say in the olden days...)

mashers

08 Apr 2019

rgdaniel wrote:
07 Apr 2019
I'm not exactly known for my discipline, but thank you! :puf_smile:
It's more about staying within Reason when the creative juices start to dry up, an alternative to walking away completely.
It's also because I thought I could improve on the songs, in this more advanced modern era. To my great surprise, this has proven far more difficult than I thought it would be. I don't remember struggling with a mix, back in the day, to the extent that I do now. But that could just be rose-coloured hindsight...
I get what you mean. I work on covers when my creativity is at a low ebb. It means I can focus on the sound and the technique and not have to worry so much about composition. As for modernising an older piece, I wonder whether part of that is because it's your own work. I would find that really hard to do as well, as it's hard to be objective about your own stuff. But modernising other people's older stuff I can do all day long. I'm working on a couple of '70s covers and they are completely different to the originals (which is for the best in one case, as the original is a bit of a joke so it's a risky one).
rgdaniel wrote:
07 Apr 2019
Now you're cookin' with gas! (As they used to say in the olden days...)
Yes, we're probably not allowed to say that any more in case it upsets someone :P

• Information