Too much choice

This forum is for anything not Reason related, if you just want to talk about other stuff. Please keep it friendly!
Zac

12 Feb 2019

Before Rack Extensions and before VST integration I used to experiment a lot with Reasons instruments and effects.

It was necessary to produce new sounds and expand what was available in the FSBank and refills.

Now I tend not to so much. I go looking in REs and vsts instead. Generally only tweaking presets. And usually getting lost in that massive choice and ending up with nothing much after much time spent.

I think i need to reduce my options again but not sure how.

bitley

12 Feb 2019

reason never was reduced in any way

Zac

12 Feb 2019

bitley wrote:
12 Feb 2019
Err ok? Care to expand on that? Not sure I understand what you mean?

Zac

12 Feb 2019

[Removed by mods]

My point here i think is that i will never have the time to learn and know many of the devices open to me.

So luck and happy accidents are more prevalent than design and discovery.

I've seen it with friends who have 1000s of records. They can't choose one. I can because i just choose what i love which is based on knowledge of a much smaller subset.

Adabler
Competition Winner

12 Feb 2019

Decision fatigue is a thing. I've found that having spotify kind of ruined listening to music for me. Started to buy vinyl again which helped a lot. It is so much better to discover stuff in a crate rather than being served stuff by an algorithm.
:reason: 12, Win10

bitley

12 Feb 2019

reason has always been more versatile than all other daws imho

diminished
Competition Winner

12 Feb 2019

Limit and challenge yourself. Just think of something randomly, only use subtractor and redrum for a week, use only samples recorded from your bedroom (lamp switches, fingernail against a glass of water, door noises, whatever), only use free VST, or maybe sounds of a toy piano, circuit bend that thing, incorporate noise from the construction site or big street near you. Whatever you do, pick something and just stick with it.
Zac wrote:
12 Feb 2019
[Removed by mods]
And stop being so hurtful. WTF man, not the first time.
:reason: Most recent track: resentment (synthwave) || Others: on my YouTube channel •ᴗ•

guitfnky

12 Feb 2019

bitley wrote:
12 Feb 2019
that doesn’t invalidate Zac’s point. there are roughly a billion more devices available now than there were before Rack Extensions and VSTs were introduced.
I write good music for good people

https://slowrobot.bandcamp.com/

bitley

12 Feb 2019

well - concentrate on the best stuff then ;)

Marco Raaphorst

12 Feb 2019

I am working on an album. I wrote stuff, ideas on guitar and them put them into the computer. I do that track by track, not focussing too much on sound and even on structure. If I have like 2 parts, it's ok. the trick for me is to keep it raw, mainly think about notes, not on sounds. later on I will polish it a bit, but not too much, but first I need to find the whole song working more or less using a specific arrangement.

I do vocals very raw as well. If I have an idea for a melody, I record it quickly using a SM58.

don't overfocus when you're not complete aware of the whole track. details are only important when you have a bigger arrangement.

Loque

12 Feb 2019

I personally do not have any problems with unlimited choice. I have reached a point where i can create what i want and now i stopped buying or make more careful choices. Just should have skipped several bought stuff in the past... Now i know that...
Reason12, Win10

Jackjackdaw

12 Feb 2019

Setting out some boundaries and sticking to them till something comes out works great. Also open your ears to the music you love and try and capture some of that magic in your own work.

motuscott

12 Feb 2019

I'm thinking if you get that Softube Tube-Tech weekly special at a 60% off $149, your problems will melt away.
I know if I find $149 laying on the sidewalk today, that's where it's going.
Who’s using the royal plural now baby? 🧂

Zac

12 Feb 2019

motuscott wrote:
12 Feb 2019
I'm thinking if you get that Softube Tube-Tech weekly special at a 60% off $149, your problems will melt away.
Nah, i think i need hardware man, this digital stuff is just rubbish...

I better put a wink here ;)

Marco Raaphorst

12 Feb 2019

yes that's also why many people started using hardware again. because of limitations.

fullforce

12 Feb 2019

bitley wrote:
12 Feb 2019
That's a very silly thing to say. Also very vague.
This is a block of text that can be added to posts you make. There is a 255 character limit.

Zac

12 Feb 2019

Thanks everyone.

I didn't foresee this or post the topic as click bait but this afternoon whilst doing another 2min stock tune i mainly confined myself to 2 of the r10 instruments.. klang and the perc instrument one.

Got a song out. Think I'll restrict myself again.

Marco Raaphorst

12 Feb 2019

Zac wrote:
12 Feb 2019
Thanks everyone.

I didn't foresee this or post the topic as click bait but this afternoon whilst doing another 2min stock tune i mainly confined myself to 2 of the r10 instruments.. klang and the perc instrument one.

Got a song out. Think I'll restrict myself again.
great!

the more music, the better :D

MrFigg
Competition Winner

12 Feb 2019

motuscott wrote:
12 Feb 2019
Nah. Wait until it goes up to full price again. Then it’ll sound even better. :).
🗲 2ॐ ᛉ

MrFigg
Competition Winner

12 Feb 2019

Zac wrote:
12 Feb 2019

I've seen it with friends who have 1000s of records. They can't choose one. I can because i just choose what i love which is based on knowledge of a much smaller subset.
I have thousand of records and hundreds of REs.
A lot of the REs I have absolutely no knowledge of how to use them properly (my fault) but I know every note on all the records I've got from start to finish and I never have a problem choosing one to fit my mood :). Maybe I'm just lucky (or not...depending upon which way you look at it) :)
🗲 2ॐ ᛉ

Zac

12 Feb 2019

Hey, Cam... I'm glad you listen to lots of music. I do too. I definitely have my favourites though. I haven't got my physical lps or cds with me now but hopefully they are in storage somewhere.

I def drifted off what i was trying to get at.

Out of those 100+ rack extensions.. how many do you really know?

Curious.

MrFigg
Competition Winner

12 Feb 2019

Zac wrote:
12 Feb 2019
Hey, Cam... I'm glad you listen to lots of music. I do too. I definitely have my favourites though. I haven't got my physical lps or cds with me now but hopefully they are in storage somewhere.

Curious.
Mostly the ones I can put on guitars. Effects, amps.

Also real instruments Pianos, Keys. Mellotrons :) etc.

I’m crap at synths. I’m crap at cv.
Don’t really understand compressors.
Most of the stuff I do with those things end up sounding cool but more out of experimentation and accident than anything else. Call me avant-garde:).
🗲 2ॐ ᛉ

plaamook

12 Feb 2019

If you have aclear idea set or goal youre working towards...well, that's the limitation.
Once I know where I'm going I don't have aproblem. It's the experimentation period where I can get lost. Once my aim is clear I just work towards that and everything falls in or out of thouse parameters. I may olny use 20% of the fire power I have but it's well used, not faffing about.

So in a way, don't worry. If I'm right, once you find a groove it will define what you do and what you use.

I can't see it could be otherwise because discovery needs experimentaion and polishing needs focus. So you need loads of potentially useless gear in order to germinate an idea but you need far far less in order to realise the idea fully.
Perpetual Reason 12 Beta Tester :reason:

You can check out my music here.
https://m.soundcloud.com/ericholmofficial
Or here.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC73uZZ ... 8jqUubzsQg

Zac

12 Feb 2019

MrFigg wrote:
12 Feb 2019
Zac wrote:
12 Feb 2019

Curious.
Mostly the ones I can put on guitars. Effects, amps.

Also real instruments Pianos, Keys. Mellotrons :) etc.

I’m crap at synths. I’m crap at cv.
Don’t really understand compressors.
Most of the stuff I do with those things end up sounding cool but more out of experimentation and accident than anything else. Call me avant-garde:).
I know.

I'm such a prick.

Avante garde for me was celtic frost.

jam-s

12 Feb 2019

bitley wrote:
12 Feb 2019
*cough* line6 amps?

• Information