O**s! An internet error occurred.

This forum is for anything not Reason related, if you just want to talk about other stuff. Please keep it friendly!
User avatar
Namyo85
Posts: 219
Joined: 11 Mar 2017

Post 03 Feb 2019

I'm convinced lately there's only one person writing all the error messages across the entire Internet, almost all the ones I've come across the last few months start with the word 'Oops!' I'm going to censor further instances of this word, cause I'm tired of it now. It is a recent occurrance, I don't remember seeing it so much in the past.
Why is this word being used at the start of error messages? Why does whoever is writing these messages think it's a good idea?

Examples:
o***! the password didn't match
o***! an error occurred
o***! something went wrong

I've seen these type of messages so far on Ebay, Google, Wordpress and Facebook
A search reveals the following also use it. Microsoft Xbox, Dropbox, Tomtom, Spotify, and some company called Plaxo, I'm there sure there'll be more if I dig deeper.

I'm already annoyed when the error occurs in the first place without seeing that stupid word appearing, it winds me up further. I'd rather a more solemn message such as 'password mismatch, please try again' or 'error on page' or 'sorry there was a problem', not these o**s! phrases, they really get on my nerves. I came across an article which suggested the proliferation of 'o***!' originated from a Linux error message, however the article was vague. I'm aware it also stands for Object Oriented Production System, however none of this explains why the annoying use of this word is spreading across the Internet's error messages so prolifically. :?:

User avatar
jam-s
Posts: 681
Joined: 17 Apr 2015
Location: Aachen, Germany

Post 03 Feb 2019

My theory: hipster web devs.
If you're in Aachen, come and visit us at the Voidspace.

User avatar
motuscott
Posts: 1474
Joined: 16 Jan 2015
Location: the new york

Post 03 Feb 2019

First we kill all the lawyers, then the hipster web devs
after that, I'm sure shit will work itself out
Sometimes a cigar is just a synth that's on fire

User avatar
Zac
Posts: 1372
Joined: 19 May 2016

Post 03 Feb 2019

Namyo85 wrote:
03 Feb 2019
I'm convinced lately there's only one person writing all the error messages across the entire Internet, almost all the ones I've come across the last few months start with the word 'Oops!' I'm going to censor further instances of this word, cause I'm tired of it now. It is a recent occurrance, I don't remember seeing it so much in the past.
Why is this word being used at the start of error messages? Why does whoever is writing these messages think it's a good idea?

Examples:
o***! the password didn't match
o***! an error occurred
o***! something went wrong

I've seen these type of messages so far on Ebay, Google, Wordpress and Facebook
A search reveals the following also use it. Microsoft Xbox, Dropbox, Tomtom, Spotify, and some company called Plaxo, I'm there sure there'll be more if I dig deeper.

I'm already annoyed when the error occurs in the first place without seeing that stupid word appearing, it winds me up further. I'd rather a more solemn message such as 'password mismatch, please try again' or 'error on page' or 'sorry there was a problem', not these o**s! phrases, they really get on my nerves. I came across an article which suggested the proliferation of 'o***!' originated from a Linux error message, however the article was vague. I'm aware it also stands for Object Oriented Production System, however none of this explains why the annoying use of this word is spreading across the Internet's error messages so prolifically. :?:
Oops! ... an error occurred in your time allocation prioritisation
Image
Now available, see viewtopic.php?f=8&t=7512836

User avatar
demt
Posts: 830
Joined: 16 Sep 2016

Post 03 Feb 2019

yup
neutron; tb3; triggerfingerpro;3korg volca keys fm drums; kaos pad 3;zaquencer; akai mpk mini;2 zmx mixers; midiplus interface;16 channel behringer umc 1820 with ada8200 soundcard, arturia drumbrute.nektar p1,
hear scince reason 2.5

Ostermilk
Posts: 1514
Joined: 15 Jan 2015

Post 03 Feb 2019

I've run into a few "Bad Arguments" in my time.

User avatar
eusti
Posts: 2389
Joined: 15 Jan 2015

Post 03 Feb 2019

Zac wrote:
03 Feb 2019
Namyo85 wrote:
03 Feb 2019
I'm convinced lately there's only one person writing all the error messages across the entire Internet, almost all the ones I've come across the last few months start with the word 'Oops!' I'm going to censor further instances of this word, cause I'm tired of it now. It is a recent occurrance, I don't remember seeing it so much in the past.
Why is this word being used at the start of error messages? Why does whoever is writing these messages think it's a good idea?

Examples:
o***! the password didn't match
o***! an error occurred
o***! something went wrong

I've seen these type of messages so far on Ebay, Google, Wordpress and Facebook
A search reveals the following also use it. Microsoft Xbox, Dropbox, Tomtom, Spotify, and some company called Plaxo, I'm there sure there'll be more if I dig deeper.

I'm already annoyed when the error occurs in the first place without seeing that stupid word appearing, it winds me up further. I'd rather a more solemn message such as 'password mismatch, please try again' or 'error on page' or 'sorry there was a problem', not these o**s! phrases, they really get on my nerves. I came across an article which suggested the proliferation of 'o***!' originated from a Linux error message, however the article was vague. I'm aware it also stands for Object Oriented Production System, however none of this explains why the annoying use of this word is spreading across the Internet's error messages so prolifically. :?:
Oops! ... an error occurred in your time allocation prioritisation
That was hilarious!!! :) Thanks, needed that today!

D.

User avatar
Namyo85
Posts: 219
Joined: 11 Mar 2017

Post 04 Feb 2019

These hipster web devs have no excuse. :)

User avatar
Loque
Posts: 5521
Joined: 28 Dec 2015

Post 04 Feb 2019

Oops! They did it again....

I should make a song of it. Oh snap! Too late...
:reason: 10, Win10 64Bit.

User avatar
gullum
Posts: 368
Joined: 15 Jan 2015
Location: Faroe Islands

Post 05 Feb 2019

my theory is that there is nothing wrong with your internet, but it's some of your friends or family members who are doing it because they think you spend to much time online

User avatar
JiggeryPokery
Posts: 993
Joined: 15 Jan 2015

Post 05 Feb 2019

Yeah, the "oops" stuff is naff, but... ;)

Way more problematic is the dual epidemic of having to click "accept/reject cookies" and close goddamn fucking newsletter subscription popups, and these are often goddamn full-window jobs that can't be simply ignored, and thus require interaction every damn time.

What makes this trebley annoying—because of course cookies are there to "enhance your website experience"!!—is that even if you do accept cookies, it makes no difference to the status of the subscription popup if you choose cancel. While I've never subbed, I've read multiple comments that even actually subscribing to a newsletter still doesn't affect the popup and you'll just get asked to subscribe to a newsletter you're already subscribed to.

Do these webshite dickheads really think people want to subscribe to a newsletter for every fucking site they visit? I don't need a fucking newsletter: I visit your fucking site every fucking day to read your fucking news, so fuck off with your fucking pop-ups. :evil:

<\language, Timothy!>

("Sorry, father!")

I don't think I've ever noticed a difference in accepting cookies either. User-made uBlock rules on certain elements can sometimes prevent subsequent subs popups if it's not full window, but often trying to block those that are full window results in blocking the entire window (e.g., even scroll bars), rendering the web site unusable, so one invariably has to go in and delete the rule...

I'd argue it's now as bad as the early 00s, that era before browser window pop-up blockers, where any half dodgy site would open twenty new windows when you closed it, and the bane of Flash overlay ads.

User avatar
Loque
Posts: 5521
Joined: 28 Dec 2015

Post 05 Feb 2019

Sigh... Yea...
:reason: 10, Win10 64Bit.

User avatar
Namyo85
Posts: 219
Joined: 11 Mar 2017

Post 06 Feb 2019

Guess what, today I found out Gumtree uses it! 'O**s... The page you are looking for has expired.' Why not 'sorry, the page you are looking for has expired, or perhaps just do away with the o**s word altogether! I'm sick of seeing these messages now. There can only be one person writing these messages, otherwise how / why would they all think to do that? @JiggeryPokery, I can relate to what you say, I assume you have adblock+ however if you search for 'i dont care about cookies' you'll find browser extensions that stop those new eu cookie pop up questions, I don't know if they stop subscription popups though.

User avatar
JiggeryPokery
Posts: 993
Joined: 15 Jan 2015

Post 06 Feb 2019

Namyo85 wrote:
06 Feb 2019
I can relate to what you say, I assume you have adblock+ however if you search for 'i dont care about cookies' you'll find browser extensions that stop those new eu cookie pop up questions, I don't know if they stop subscription popups though.
Heh, yeah, belt and braces and another belt! :D

(uBlock, Ghostery and Adblock ... I did run NoScript until recently, but frankly I find it more trouble than it's worth trying to figure out which single script I need to allow from a list of 100 it shows on a page in order for that damn page to render correctly)

Certainly none of those seem to have a reliable way of nuking newsletter shite.

Not aware of dedicated cookie nukes, though; thanks for the tip. :twisted:

User avatar
jam-s
Posts: 681
Joined: 17 Apr 2015
Location: Aachen, Germany

Post 06 Feb 2019

Also, do not underestimate its ugly cousin the "whoops, ...".
If you're in Aachen, come and visit us at the Voidspace.

User avatar
Namyo85
Posts: 219
Joined: 11 Mar 2017

Post 24 Feb 2019

Discovered today that TomsHardware has the same annoyance: 'O**s! We ran into some problems'. Also it's starting to come into the real world. The other day I saw a recycle bin with a card attached to it with a cartoon depiction of a bin man saying 'o**ps' within a speech bubble then something about the bin having the wrong items in it. There's so much wrong with that if you think about it. For a start it isn't the bin mans fault so why is he saying that as if he's messed up. Well he hasn't, it's the fault of who uses the bin. it looks to me like it's an excuse to get this annoyance into the real world. I'm getting fed up of seeing this. This 'o**ps' thing is being deliberately pushed... why?

User avatar
Soft Enerji
Posts: 398
Joined: 16 Jan 2015
Location: East Lismore, NSW Australia

Post 14 Mar 2019

Maybe you just need to get out more........ Ooops!

User avatar
Namyo85
Posts: 219
Joined: 11 Mar 2017

Post 19 Mar 2019

Soft Enerji wrote:
14 Mar 2019
Maybe you just need to get out more.....
You'd be surprised how often I get out to get away from these annoyances. Found loads more since. I'm thinking of compiling a list. In the meantime here's another one I discovered today: https://www.zendesk.co.uk/help-center-closed/

User avatar
Namyo85
Posts: 219
Joined: 11 Mar 2017

Post 21 Mar 2019

Why am I not surprised.
reason_error.png
:(
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

  • Information
  • Who is online

    Users browsing this forum: CommonCrawl [Bot] and 0 guests