Bouce or Death!

This forum is for anything not Reason related, if you just want to talk about other stuff. Please keep it friendly!
plaamook

26 Jan 2019

If I don't bounce something within two days max of starting an idea, and I mean bounce something that's 70% done or sketched out whatever, it goes in the trash. Of course the last 30% of a track can take ages, days/weeks/months/whatever, but the sketch has to be fast and it stands or falls based on that furious crucible things, my things, are born in.

I'm writing this becasue, while I've known this to be true for some time, I never-the-less spent a four day weekend last week trying to wrestle this loop to the ground and failed as I always do in these situations.
I dont' mind the death of the idea, I'll prob never be able to go back to it now, but the waste of time... It get me every time. Gotta drink that shit out of your system, which I did basically.

I don't know if there's a conversation to be had about this but as you lot are one of the few people (collectively) I discuss this crap with any more, I 'll post it.
Perpetual Reason 12 Beta Tester :reason:

You can check out my music here.
https://m.soundcloud.com/ericholmofficial
Or here.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC73uZZ ... 8jqUubzsQg

prophecy

29 Jan 2019

I tend to keep all my old ideas, even opening new sessions to record or move something from the current thing I'm working on if it doesn't fit but I like it. But then I am a hoarder when it comes to ideas. I'm the same with writing, which I do a lot more of, and now I think I have found a way to incorporate a number of my story ideas in to one universe. It's very exciting. For the same reason (no pun intended) and while storage is relatively cheap, I'll keep my unfinished stuff.
Do you get big chunks of time to work on your songs? I don't, so if I junked everything that didn't get finished first time I'd never have anything at all. Perhaps that plays a part in my hoarding.
Last edited by prophecy on 04 Feb 2019, edited 1 time in total.
Reason 10 Lite | Surface Pro 3 i5 | Akai MPK Mini II | Yamaha Clavinova CVP5 | Fingers | Ears |

Jagwah

30 Jan 2019

plaamook wrote:
26 Jan 2019
If I don't bounce something within two days max of starting an idea, and I mean bounce something that's 70% done or sketched out whatever, it goes in the trash. Of course the last 30% of a track can take ages, days/weeks/months/whatever, but the sketch has to be fast and it stands or falls based on that furious crucible things, my things, are born in.

I'm writing this becasue, while I've known this to be true for some time, I never-the-less spent a four day weekend last week trying to wrestle this loop to the ground and failed as I always do in these situations.
I dont' mind the death of the idea, I'll prob never be able to go back to it now, but the waste of time... It get me every time. Gotta drink that shit out of your system, which I did basically.

I don't know if there's a conversation to be had about this but as you lot are one of the few people (collectively) I discuss this crap with any more, I 'll post it.
Apparently a lot of song ideas happen very fast, and then like you say finishing it can take a long time.

I think it's a great idea though, to always keep all your work, and keep it with a handy bounced copy to listen to / audition. Who knows what may strike you while listening through your catalogue of unfinished ideas. You should try it for a while and see how you go.

Oquasec

30 Jan 2019

I'd say 11 hours is ideal for like 6 minutes.
Producer/Programmer.
Reason, FLS and Cubase NFR user.

plaamook

30 Jan 2019

prophecy wrote:
29 Jan 2019
Do you get big chunks of time to work on your songs? I don't, so if I junked everything that didn't get finished first time I'm never have anything at all. Perhaps that plays a part in my hoarding.
I keep pretty much everything as well. It's not so much that I chuck what I've done so much as I know it will come to nothing. Or, as you say, it may end up in another project.

Mostly I don't have that much time. I sketch on the fly a lot. When ther's an album about to happen I make the time but then at that point it's mostly just work and polishing. It's the germinating of ideas that has to be fast for me. If it's too slow the head gets caught in my creative vagina and the thing just suffocates there.

Yeah, I kinda nauseated myself with that last line too
Perpetual Reason 12 Beta Tester :reason:

You can check out my music here.
https://m.soundcloud.com/ericholmofficial
Or here.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC73uZZ ... 8jqUubzsQg

• Information