Apple........ LOL [rant]

This forum is for anything not Reason related, if you just want to talk about other stuff. Please keep it friendly!
User avatar
Oquasec
Posts: 2174
Joined: 05 Mar 2017

Post 29 Dec 2018

You could build 27 decent machines with that budget.
The laptops are a decent value I think at around maybe 600$ max for a retina with a benchmark above 4000.
Avid/Reaper/Reason/FLS.

User avatar
selig
Moderator
Posts: 7609
Joined: 15 Jan 2015

Post 29 Dec 2018

Oquasec wrote:You could build 27 decent machines with that budget.
The laptops are a decent value I think at around maybe 600$ max for a retina with a benchmark above 4000.
Agreed, just as you can build many decent cars for the price of an F1 racer. Horses for courses.

Loving my new mac laptop, btw… (ducking!)


Sent from some crappy device using Tapatalk
Selig Audio, LLC

User avatar
O1B
Posts: 1357
Joined: 26 Jan 2015

Post 30 Dec 2018

Making computers is not their primary objective anymore.
Image

Turn OFF the RANT in 2019. It's getting Redundant.
bxbrkrz wrote:
29 Dec 2018
My 2012 iPad is still working fine. Very happy with it. Maybe in 2022 I'll get an iPad Pro.
Apple will move their pro line From x86 to ARM CPUs (what's inside their iPad Pro) eventually. They moved from PowerPC to Intel in the past and I expect them to do the same since their chip is so powerful. It would not be too far-fetched to imagine they already have a fully functioning OS XI running their main apps in their lab already.
Don't be mad at Apple for their 'culture'. Their '1984' Macintosh commercial was very explicit back then (Us Vs Them).
Apple is a phone making company.
Making computers is not their primary objective anymore.
Enjoy your Apple watch (the most sold watch in the world).
Buy whatever that makes you happy first. Who cares about people who can't afford Apple products amirite? :geek:

Not a rant.

User avatar
zabukowski
Posts: 103
Joined: 16 Jan 2015
Location: Ljubljana, Slovenia, EU

Post 30 Dec 2018

selig wrote:
29 Dec 2018
Oquasec wrote:You could build 27 decent machines with that budget.
The laptops are a decent value I think at around maybe 600$ max for a retina with a benchmark above 4000.
Agreed, just as you can build many decent cars for the price of an F1 racer. Horses for courses.

Loving my new mac laptop, btw… (ducking!)


Sent from some crappy device using Tapatalk
Well, you don't need $13k iMac to make top shit music - fortunately, the price of the computer usually doesn't determine music/production quality.

On the other hand, you need proper racer car to be able to compete at F1 - and its price usually determines its quality.

I might be wrong, though :)

User avatar
bxbrkrz
Posts: 964
Joined: 17 Jan 2015

Post 30 Dec 2018

O1B wrote:
30 Dec 2018
Making computers is not their primary objective anymore.
Image

Turn OFF the RANT in 2019. It's getting Redundant.
bxbrkrz wrote:
29 Dec 2018
My 2012 iPad is still working fine. Very happy with it. Maybe in 2022 I'll get an iPad Pro.
Apple will move their pro line From x86 to ARM CPUs (what's inside their iPad Pro) eventually. They moved from PowerPC to Intel in the past and I expect them to do the same since their chip is so powerful. It would not be too far-fetched to imagine they already have a fully functioning OS XI running their main apps in their lab already.
Don't be mad at Apple for their 'culture'. Their '1984' Macintosh commercial was very explicit back then (Us Vs Them).
Apple is a phone making company.
Making computers is not their primary objective anymore.
Enjoy your Apple watch (the most sold watch in the world).
Buy whatever that makes you happy first. Who cares about people who can't afford Apple products amirite? :geek:

Not a rant.
Image

Trump. Living rent free in your head 24/7 :lol:

User avatar
selig
Moderator
Posts: 7609
Joined: 15 Jan 2015

Post 30 Dec 2018

zabukowski wrote: Well, you don't need $13k iMac to make top shit music - fortunately, the price of the computer usually doesn't determine music/production quality.

On the other hand, you need proper racer car to be able to compete at F1 - and its price usually determines its quality.

I might be wrong, though :)
That’s basically my point, maybe should use Lamborghini or similar. Just saw one on the road today, and you certainly don’t need a Lamborghini to drive to the grocery store. You can even walk if you don’t mind carrying stuff.

So many options, choose the one you can afford. I used two cassette recorders to overdub when I was a kid - wasn’t going to wait for the “perfect” tool to start making music.

These iMacs are not targeting music makers anyway, they are targeting high-end video and 3D animators etc, where rendering speed is important and can make a competitive difference in your business.

That’s why it’s illogical to compare them to low cost options here IMO, and certainly illogical to base arguments against Apple on their most expensive model. Plenty of better criticisms to choose from… ;)


Sent from some crappy device using Tapatalk
Selig Audio, LLC

Ostermilk
Posts: 1479
Joined: 15 Jan 2015

Post 30 Dec 2018

Right, I'm going to settle this once and for all...

See? There I go again, over-promising and under-delivering.

User avatar
selig
Moderator
Posts: 7609
Joined: 15 Jan 2015

Post 30 Dec 2018

Ostermilk wrote:Right, I'm going to settle this once and for all...

See? There I go again, over-promising and under-delivering.
You sir, have won the internet!


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Selig Audio, LLC

User avatar
theshoemaker
Posts: 580
Joined: 21 Nov 2015
Location: Germany

Post 30 Dec 2018

I love my Macbook Pro and I didn't even have to buy it ;)

Just don't want to use anything else anymore. Did the Microliimbo before ... I'd rather spend the time left figuring out the issues or building hardware for music, watching a movie or maybe playing some game with my son
:PUF_figure: latest :reason: V10 on MacOS Sierra

User avatar
kuhliloach
Posts: 593
Joined: 09 Dec 2015

Post 30 Dec 2018

Considering all the problems with Apple there are some positives that cannot be ignored. IMO the leading Apple products right now are Mac Mini and iPad while their laptops and phones are quite the mess.

So, in Apple's favor, GarageBand (and Logic) remain the greatest music software of all time due to a combination of power with ease-of-use. As a music production platform iOS has no competition; it's so far ahead of other OS's in terms of apps and developers I'm not sure any other platform could ever catch up. In 2018 a (bent) iPad Pro with Apple Pencil and Procreate remains the golden standard of digital art tools ever invented in human history. So, no matter how many design blunders and quality control issues Apple has people still flock to buy their products. It would be nice to see them get back to the level of quality and value they had when Steve Jobs was around, or even surpass those days. The return of the headphone jack. User-replaceable batteries. Great keyboards. One can dream.

User avatar
hurricane
Posts: 627
Joined: 14 Oct 2017

Post 30 Dec 2018

Logic Pro - my most favorite DAW now and forever. ❤️
https://soundcloud.com/hurricane-music
Mac mini (Late 2012) | macOS Mojave | Logic Pro X | Pro Tools | Reason | Tascam 414 mkII Portastudio | Steinberg UR22mkII | Emagic AMT 8 | Mackie SR24x4 | StudioLogic SL 990 PRO

User avatar
Last Alternative
Posts: 994
Joined: 20 Jan 2015
Location: the lost desert

Post 31 Dec 2018

This was my rant. Personal opinions mixed with facts and observations, not just regarding the iMac but this rant was inspired as an owner of an iMac with no hope to upgrade iMacs any time soon due to their ridiculous pricing, I am a bit perturbed as are countless other iMac owners, no doubt... Yes others have had similar rants, however, this is my own in a place where people can relate. Hopefully no one was triggered lol.

HAPPY NEW YEAR
https://lastalternative.bandcamp.com
:reason: 10.2.2 | iMac (27" Retina 5K, late 2015): OS Mojave, i7 Skylake @ 4GHz, 1TB SSD, 32 GB RAM, Radeon M395X | lots of sick gear

benjified
Posts: 22
Joined: 15 Sep 2015

Post 31 Dec 2018

I have an 21.5" iMac from late 2013. Nice machine but it was expensive, I wish I had opted to spend more at the time for an i7, 16GB RAM and a SSD. I ended up using an external Thunderbolt SSD as a boot drive to improve speed. No one should have to run macOS with a disk drive. I was itching for a laptop but passed over the Macbooks for an Asus ultraportable. Probably doesn't perform much better than my old iMac but the portability is great.

What I miss: Logic Pro, Korg Gadget VSTs, Coreaudio and midi ease of use, consistent design of desktop experience, Safari, Photos, Preview, and a very silent machine (my laptop occasionally makes more sound especially during updates).

Windows 10 is close to good enough but some things are just... why?
New USB2 audio driver didn't work on Propellerhead Balance (dammit!), Balance driver is no longer developed - doesn't perform well so I use ASIO4ALL, setting up Delora RSTouch a little more effort, setting up Win10 for audio performance takes some effort (admittedly not too bad), why is there a Settings app and the old Control Panel - combine them already!, set theme to dark but only some things dark, no thumbnails for pdfs and have to open Edge to read pdfs really?, ok Edge is ok for reading pdfs but as a browser I have to install Firefox (goodbye Safari *sniff*), oh is MS going to get rid of Edge now? where's my update? MS keeps screwing up and delaying OS updates.

I actually tried to hackintosh my Asus Zenbook but only got part way through with it. Too much tinkering, I don't want to have to patch a SSDT for a usb kext. Lost patience with that kind of thing in my 30s.

User avatar
bitley
Posts: 964
Joined: 03 Jul 2015
Location: sweden

Post 31 Dec 2018

Yes I've got a similar experience with a PC laptop here. W10 updates are huge, ugly as hell and takes forever to install. I wish Apple would release Open OS X for all machines. Would run home so fast to get it. I'd choose the Wipe out Windows forever option.

User avatar
Oquasec
Posts: 2174
Joined: 05 Mar 2017

Post 31 Dec 2018

Macs are closed platform to keep the experience how you guys want it.
Windows is alittle more open ended, which is a bad thing for the mac demographic.

Pick & choose or get both.
Macbook air, Custom built windows machine.
Imac, Razer Laptop : /
Avid/Reaper/Reason/FLS.

EdGrip
Posts: 1377
Joined: 03 Jun 2016

Post 02 Jan 2019

Daydreaming of the day when more software gets a Linux version...

benjified
Posts: 22
Joined: 15 Sep 2015

Post 02 Jan 2019

EdGrip wrote:
02 Jan 2019
Daydreaming of the day when more software gets a Linux version...
Ubuntu with Reason would be great! I haven't used it in a decade. Used to like to tinker with Linux distros. Lots of interesting projects but few with enough polish. Zynaddsubfx was a decent sounding synth.

User avatar
moneykube
Posts: 1739
Joined: 15 Jan 2015

Post 03 Jan 2019

:lol: :lol: :lol:
Ostermilk wrote:
30 Dec 2018
Right, I'm going to settle this once and for all...

See? There I go again, over-promising and under-delivering.
:lol: :lol: :lol:

User avatar
plaamook
Posts: 821
Joined: 22 Jan 2015
Location: probably underwater

Post 03 Jan 2019

bitley wrote:
31 Dec 2018
Yes I've got a similar experience with a PC laptop here. W10 updates are huge, ugly as hell and takes forever to install. I wish Apple would release Open OS X for all machines. Would run home so fast to get it. I'd choose the Wipe out Windows forever option.
No shit eh. I'd choose the 'buy some other hardware with ports n shit till apple sort out their professional market' for the forseeable future. Don't know if I can face a hackntosh yet.

User avatar
plaamook
Posts: 821
Joined: 22 Jan 2015
Location: probably underwater

Post 03 Jan 2019

theshoemaker wrote:
30 Dec 2018
I love my Macbook Pro and I didn't even have to buy it ;)
I love mine too but I'm shit scared of the price and lack of user fix-replace-ability of the new ones.


What kind of Mac do you have, out of curiosity?

User avatar
bxbrkrz
Posts: 964
Joined: 17 Jan 2015

Post 03 Jan 2019


User avatar
theshoemaker
Posts: 580
Joined: 21 Nov 2015
Location: Germany

Post 03 Jan 2019

plaamook wrote:
03 Jan 2019
theshoemaker wrote:
30 Dec 2018
I love my Macbook Pro and I didn't even have to buy it ;)
I love mine too but I'm shit scared of the price and lack of user fix-replace-ability of the new ones.


What kind of Mac do you have, out of curiosity?
MacBook Pro (15-inch, 2018)

Octopuss ;)
:PUF_figure: latest :reason: V10 on MacOS Sierra

User avatar
plaamook
Posts: 821
Joined: 22 Jan 2015
Location: probably underwater

Post 04 Jan 2019

theshoemaker wrote:
03 Jan 2019
plaamook wrote:
03 Jan 2019


I love mine too but I'm shit scared of the price and lack of user fix-replace-ability of the new ones.


What kind of Mac do you have, out of curiosity?
MacBook Pro (15-inch, 2018)

Octopuss ;)
Squid ;)

New mac come with any free hubs or adaptors?

User avatar
Data_Shrine
Posts: 446
Joined: 23 Jan 2015

Post 04 Jan 2019

Apple shares went down dramatically a few days ago, because people aren't buying their new 1k$ + iPhones. If I wasn't so lazy I'd find the link where they blame people replacing old batteries... very arrogant. It's also related to the slowing economy in China, but not completely.

I've been using OS X (now macOS) since the days of the aluminium Powerbook G4 (it still works!), but I now dread the day I will have no choice but to get another Macbook... prices were always high but this is beyond ridiculous, especially since they've been dropping too many features (i.e. ports, the ability to replace ram, etc).

And the yearly OS updates are annoying.

User avatar
bxbrkrz
Posts: 964
Joined: 17 Jan 2015

Post 06 Jan 2019



  • Information
  • Who is online

    Users browsing this forum: CommonCrawl [Bot] and 0 guests