Getting my creative mojo back. (Started drawing)

This forum is for anything not Reason related, if you just want to talk about other stuff. Please keep it friendly!
TritoneAddiction
Posts: 1555
Joined: 29 Aug 2015
Location: Sweden

Post 25 Nov 2018

So last couple of months I've really struggled creatively. I've just not been feeling like creating any music. Perhaps someone has been in a similar situation.
In the past I've gone the disciplined route in order to get music done. Just sit down with Reason and write and things will come. And they did actually. That method worked pretty well for me for like 5 years or so.
But now that way of working just isn't working for me anymore. It just feels like it's "work".

Last week I started a new little hobby. I started drawing and have been watching a bunch of art vidoes on youtube and it's completely sparked new life into my creative life.
Getting back to being a clueless beginner and just creating because you feel like it was just the mindset that I needed. It may look like shit, but who cares? This is fun. Let's draw some more.
Not only have I been drawing, but I've also felt inspired to write more music and also writing short texts/poems.

I just finished a track. And I wrote it with a "let's just play like a kid" mentality. Let's make some noise and have fun during the process. Anytime it started feeling like "work" I turned Reason off and did something else and I only got back to it when I genuinely felt like it.
The track is rather weird and all over the place, but I had fun making it and that was all I cared about. Hopefully I can keep this playful mindset for a while.



(I posted the track under the music section too)

User avatar
MannequinRaces
Posts: 699
Joined: 18 Jan 2015

Post 25 Nov 2018

That’s a really fun quirky track! Cool. I can relate myself I’ve been in a creative rut for a very long time and haven’t felt motivated at all to get anything done. Good idea on learning something else that’s creative. I’ve been dabbling in voxel art and failing horribly at learning to make video games. Perfectly normal to lose to fire in your belly and then return to it once your batteries are charged. Btw udemy is having amazing sales for two more days. One of which is on a drawing course, just google udemy drawing course, it’s like $9.

User avatar
Noplan
Posts: 564
Joined: 16 Jan 2015
Location: Cologne, Germany

Post 25 Nov 2018

Knock knock!
Who's there?
- Your creativity.

Good track. :thumbs_up:

TritoneAddiction
Posts: 1555
Joined: 29 Aug 2015
Location: Sweden

Post 25 Nov 2018

MannequinRaces wrote:
25 Nov 2018
Btw udemy is having amazing sales for two more days. One of which is on a drawing course, just google udemy drawing course, it’s like $9.
Thanks for the tip, but the big part of why drawing is so good for me is that I don't have any goals or try to actively practise to get better. I do it purely because I enjoy it and feel inspired by it. That's the mindset I want to bring to my music making.
Right now I'd rather be ignorant and enjoy myself than forcing myself to get better and lose the naive playfulness. I want to get back to the reason why I love being creative in the first place.

There's a time for practising and setting goals and all that good stuff, but now is not that time (for me).

User avatar
dpcoffin
Posts: 73
Joined: 23 Apr 2017

Post 25 Nov 2018

Cool track!

Pablo Picasso: It took me four years to paint like Raphael, but a lifetime to paint like a child.

User avatar
MannequinRaces
Posts: 699
Joined: 18 Jan 2015

Post 25 Nov 2018

TritoneAddiction wrote:
25 Nov 2018
MannequinRaces wrote:
25 Nov 2018
Btw udemy is having amazing sales for two more days. One of which is on a drawing course, just google udemy drawing course, it’s like $9.
Thanks for the tip, but the big part of why drawing is so good for me is that I don't have any goals or try to actively practise to get better. I do it purely because I enjoy it and feel inspired by it. That's the mindset I want to bring to my music making.
Right now I'd rather be ignorant and enjoy myself than forcing myself to get better and lose the naive playfulness. I want to get back to the reason why I love being creative in the first place.

There's a time for practising and setting goals and all that good stuff, but now is not that time (for me).
Completely understand! I hate it when creative things feel like work. Makes me glad I’m not a creative person 100 percent of the time (for a full time job). That’d be hard to do day in and day out.

User avatar
Heigen5
Posts: 229
Joined: 25 Sep 2018
Location: Lõvi-isa

Post 26 Nov 2018

I checked this tune already yesterday and I thought it's a killer "kick the ass" tune.
Anyway, yeah, about the creativity and how to manage it, when you don't seem to feel like making music.
My last method that worked for me, was psychological. Stop --> trying, making music.
Switch it to something else, that doesn't question your capabilities. As much as I know your stuff, you are very talented, so don't worry about that at least. And also, gather up all your skills and be ONE, when you make music.
As sometimes we are kinda splitted up by too many variables. Cheerz! :geek:

TritoneAddiction
Posts: 1555
Joined: 29 Aug 2015
Location: Sweden

Post 29 Nov 2018

dpcoffin wrote:
25 Nov 2018
Cool track!

Pablo Picasso: It took me four years to paint like Raphael, but a lifetime to paint like a child.
There's probably some truth to that. It can be hard to just let go and try whatever when you've been making music for several years in a particular way.

User avatar
sublunar
Posts: 387
Joined: 27 Apr 2017

Post 29 Nov 2018

cool track!

And yeah I agree about stuff like drawing to help refill the creative juices. Used to draw a lot back in the high school days. Just wish I had time for all my hobbies now. It sure sucks living in a cubicle for most of out lives..

  • Information
  • Who is online

    Users browsing this forum: CommonCrawl [Bot] and 0 guests