Jeff Wayne's War Of The Worlds

This forum is for anything not Reason related, if you just want to talk about other stuff. Please keep it friendly!
Zac

25 Oct 2018

I really can't express how I feel about this piece of music. I first heard it on headphones age 8 at an adult party where they parked me to keep me out of the way. It worked. I was captivated.

Uhhh Yaaaaaah.

Wanna share?

Catblack

25 Oct 2018

For me, a buddy of mine and I drove 100 miles north when I was 18 to see some sci-fi loving female friends of ours. We stayed a few days in their dorm, and in the end drove home because we were due to start a sci-fi club at our local library that week. I fell asleep at the wheel and flew my friend's pinto 90 feet. We both walked away unscathed. And the tape of War of the Worlds the girls had made for us ended up in my pocket somehow.

I love the songs, and Phil Lynott really shines during his bit. The remaster sounds great, though it's been a while since I listened to it. I personally didn't care for the London stage version that came out on dvd... which had Richard Burton appearing as a hologram?

I still find myself saying "nothing but the best now I'm the boss!" to myself a lot.
If you ain't hip to the rare Housequake, shut up already.

Damn.

Zac

25 Oct 2018

Whoa. Lucky to walk away from that one. Why were you so tired? :lol:

Next day.

I have Richard Burton's voice in my head for quotes a lot! His best work. No one would have imagined. Ringing, rumbling. Softened almost into melody.

prophecy

25 Oct 2018

I went to see a live version in the Liverpool Echo Arena, with a Richard Burton Hologram. I think the music and story stand up just fine without the stage show around it, but it was pretty brilliant watching the musicians and technicians all doing their thing. Apart from the hologram tech, which failed a few times.
I'll be hearing that bass line from the Red Weed for the rest of the day now.
Reason 10 Lite | Surface Pro 3 i5 | Akai MPK Mini II | Yamaha Clavinova CVP5 | Fingers | Ears |

Zac

25 Oct 2018

prophecy wrote:
25 Oct 2018
I went to see a live version in the Liverpool Echo Arena, with a Richard Burton Hologram. I think the music and story stand up just fine without the stage show around it, but it was pretty brilliant watching the musicians and technicians all doing their thing. Apart from the hologram tech, which failed a few times.
I'll be hearing that bass line from the Red Weed for the rest of the day now.
There was once a talented artist on reasonstation.net that called an album of his red weed.

It's the guitar tone and harmony that does it most for me. Some great synth and strings too.

Steve Coogan and Rob Brydon do some good Burton impressions in their excellent series: The Trip https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Tri ... TV_series)

eusti

25 Oct 2018

No real intense stories from my side... Though despite being a synth pop / alternative kind of guy this album pretty much informed how strings, drum, bass and guitar "should" work together for me...

D.

Zac

25 Oct 2018

eusti wrote:
25 Oct 2018
No real intense stories from my side... Though despite being a synth pop / alternative kind of guy this album pretty much informed how strings, drum, bass and guitar "should" work together for me...

D.
It is a powerful and balanced production. Timeless for me but I'm old, so i would say that. I did try the Liam Neeson reboot and managed to get the whole way through but only once.

Ostermilk

25 Oct 2018

Zac wrote:
25 Oct 2018
I really can't express how I feel about this piece of music.
Nor can I...even from a somewhat different perspective... :puf_bigsmile:

Creativemind

25 Oct 2018

Classic! nuff said.
:reason:

Reason Studio's 11.3 / Cockos Reaper 6.82 / Cakewalk By Bandlab / Orion 8.6
http://soundcloud.com/creativemind75/iv ... soul-mix-3

Zac

25 Oct 2018

Ostermilk wrote:
25 Oct 2018
Zac wrote:
25 Oct 2018
I really can't express how I feel about this piece of music.
Nor can I...even from a somewhat different perspective... :puf_bigsmile:
My middle name is Earnest.

raymondh

25 Oct 2018

A classic for sure.
I used to love flicking through the pages in the LP. The art was great.
Great synth work and arrangements. And Forever Autumn is quite a moving song.

Zac

25 Oct 2018

raymondh wrote:
25 Oct 2018
A classic for sure.
I used to love flicking through the pages in the LP. The art was great.
Great synth work and arrangements. And Forever Autumn is quite a moving song.
Indeed. Very beautiful. And 'The Spirit Of Man'.

prophecy

26 Oct 2018

Zac wrote:
25 Oct 2018

Steve Coogan and Rob Brydon do some good Burton impressions in their excellent series: The Trip https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Tri ... TV_series)
I've only tried once, but I just didn't get The Trip. I may give it another go at some point.
Reason 10 Lite | Surface Pro 3 i5 | Akai MPK Mini II | Yamaha Clavinova CVP5 | Fingers | Ears |

Zac

26 Oct 2018

prophecy wrote:
26 Oct 2018
Zac wrote:
25 Oct 2018

I've only tried once, but I just didn't get The Trip. I may give it another go at some point.
It is very low key and subtle. I think it helps to be in your 40s to relate well to it. I found it interesting to contrast the two characters. One a settled down to earth seemingly happy family man, the other a more hedonistic man still striving for career advancement and new relationships whilst providing for his previous family. Oh, and they do lots of impressions.

• Information