What phone do you use?

This forum is for anything not Reason related, if you just want to talk about other stuff. Please keep it friendly!
TritoneAddiction
Competition Winner

24 Oct 2018

So I'm probably one of the last people in the world who just bought my first smart phone. Yes it's true. When I've said I don't like too technical rack extensions I wasn't lying :lol: Up until now I've always used a dumb phone. But eventually I felt that society almost demands one to own a smart phone in order to not be completely left out, so I caved in and got one.

So because of this the last month or so I've been looking at different phones to figure out what I wanted to get and as a result I've become more interested in the topic.

So I'm wondering what phone do you use?

I got the iPhone 7. I've only used it for 2 days but it seems like it's a pretty good fit for me.

Faastwalker

24 Oct 2018

iPhone 6s.

Probably my last ever iPhone.

Heigen5

24 Oct 2018

Samsung Core Prime here. My next one will need to have a decent camera.

TritoneAddiction
Competition Winner

24 Oct 2018

Faastwalker wrote:
24 Oct 2018
iPhone 6s.

Probably my last ever iPhone.
Just curious, why your last iPhone ever?

Troublemecca

24 Oct 2018

In the smartphone world, there is an ongoing conflict between the leading technologies, put forth by Apple (iphone) and Google (android) respectively...

IPhones are very appliance like... In that they tend to be dependable, and straightforward in their use. They can be described as very user friendly. This is the phone I would recommend to anyone with little interest and/or experience with technology. Highly refined user-experience, that makes it easy to learn and use.

Androids are more like little computers (PCs)... They are (historically anyway) much more modular and versatile than iPhones. This is due to their open-source nature, which encourages experimentation and customization. I would recommend an Android to a power-user.

There are also marked differences in business strategy... iPhone/Apple are very strict about protecting their profits, and once you buy an Apple you are locked into their ecosystem. They don't play nicely with competing services/technologies. For this, you get security, as they dominate the entire user experience.

Google/Android are far more accommodating of what their users want, and you can pretty much do what you want with their phones. Security is (historically anyway) not as tight, for this reason, but worth it in my eyes... I still have a 3.5mm headphone jack on my phone ijs.

Sent from my SM-G955U1 using Tapatalk

4filegate

24 Oct 2018

TritoneAddiction wrote:
24 Oct 2018
I got the iPhone 7. I've only used it for 2 days but it seems like it's a pretty good fit for me.
Have you found the free Reason Compact mobile app for iOS?
A part of the PH headquarters hardly programmed unpaid for Apple?
I have none of those things.

aeox
Competition Winner

24 Oct 2018

I haven't owned a cellphone since 2012. I use a website called textnow :D

pushedbutton

24 Oct 2018

I have a Nokia 5 - Don't.
@pushedbutton on twitter, add me, send me a message, but don't try to sell me stuff cos I'm skint.
Using Reason since version 3 and still never finished a song.

TritoneAddiction
Competition Winner

24 Oct 2018

Troublemecca wrote:
24 Oct 2018
In the smartphone world, there is an ongoing conflict between the leading technologies, put forth by Apple (iphone) and Google (android) respectively...

IPhones are very appliance like... In that they tend to be dependable, and straightforward in their use. They can be described as very user friendly. This is the phone I would recommend to anyone with little interest and/or experience with technology. Highly refined user-experience, that makes it easy to learn and use.

Androids are more like little computers (PCs)... They are (historically anyway) much more modular and versatile than iPhones. This is due to their open-source nature, which encourages experimentation and customization. I would recommend an Android to a power-user.
Yeah I've noticed the IOS vs Android war very clearly in youtube comments :D Pretty similar to mac vs PC or Reason vs Ableton.

A big part of why I picked an iPhone was the reason you just laid out. It seemed like the easier phone to get into. And also most of my friends have iPhones, so I figured if I have any problems with it I can always ask them for help.

TritoneAddiction
Competition Winner

24 Oct 2018

4filegate wrote:
24 Oct 2018
Thanks for the tip, but I don't think I'll be using these sort of apps. I'd much rather work on music with proper monitors and have the full Reason experience on my computer.

ljekio

24 Oct 2018

iphone se after iphone 4s after nokia 5800
if apple will release se2 i'll buy it.

tronam

24 Oct 2018

If there's any ambition for mobile audio apps, get an iPhone. The iOS App Store is light years ahead of any other mobile platform both on the software and external hardware/accessory front. If not, then get whatever fits needs and budget. Even the cheapest modern smartphone handles the basics without a problem.
Music is nothing else but wild sounds civilized into time and tune.

tronam

24 Oct 2018

Troublemecca wrote:
24 Oct 2018
...They don't play nicely with competing services/technologies...
This has changed pretty significantly over the years and I don't think it's a very accurate representation any longer. Microsoft makes both Office and Outlook for iOS and they're extremely well designed, along with full Exchange support. Google offers essentially all of their apps and services there too, from Drive to Docs to Gmail and Google Photos including more obscure services like Inbox and Voice. Google is even the default search engine across the whole OS. There are still core services where it isn't possible to change the default, but in general almost all companies have strong representation on iOS due to its broad popularity. This is especially true for Games, productivity and audio/music apps. It may be a walled garden, but it's extremely well stocked.

Noplan
Competition Winner

24 Oct 2018

I always use the old phones that i get for free or very cheap from my friends. I have no other use than to connect my phone to whatsapp via a computer just for communications with my bands. for anything else, the operation ist simply impractical and limited. Writing alone for someone who masters 10-finger typing is the purest horror on the phone. My mobile number has been blocked because I never charged it. And I find it quite relaxing that I am unavailable most of the time. Humans have survived like that in the past. :D

Zac

25 Oct 2018

Noplan wrote:
24 Oct 2018
I always use the old phones that i get for free or very cheap from my friends. I have no other use than to connect my phone to whatsapp via a computer just for communications with my bands. for anything else, the operation ist simply impractical and limited. Writing alone for someone who masters 10-finger typing is the purest horror on the phone. My mobile number has been blocked because I never charged it. And I find it quite relaxing that I am unavailable most of the time. Humans have survived like that in the past. :D
My ringer is never on. It makes me jump. Vibrate is my friend. I do miss calls but if it's anyone who knows me I'll get back to them shortly and i can cut out the crap.

Troublemecca

25 Oct 2018

tronam wrote:
24 Oct 2018
Troublemecca wrote:
24 Oct 2018
...They don't play nicely with competing services/technologies...
This has changed pretty significantly over the years and I don't think it's a very accurate representation any longer. Microsoft makes both Office and Outlook for iOS and they're extremely well designed, along with full Exchange support. Google offers essentially all of their apps and services there too, from Drive to Docs to Gmail and Google Photos including more obscure services like Inbox and Voice. Google is even the default search engine across the whole OS. There are still core services where it isn't possible to change the default, but in general almost all companies have strong representation on iOS due to its broad popularity. This is especially true for Games, productivity and audio/music apps. It may be a walled garden, but it's extremely well stocked.
Good to hear, it's still, generally, Apple's ethos to defend their profit margin, often at great expense to their user base... No 3.5mm jack... Proprietary charging port... No user accessible filesystem... Updates that intentionally cripple their own devices... All that keeps me away... With you on audio production though.

motuscott

25 Oct 2018

I myself just crawled aboard the smartphone bandwagon this year when it became apparent that I could have one for $175. It's a Motorola and I can't even find the model, that's how much I use it. Came in handy yesterday when my landline connection to the interwebs went down for a day and I realized I could still get email.
It's like the mark of the beast, you pretty much have to have one to participate in the glorious fall of our empire.
Stay tuned for forthcoming pictures of my junk.
Who’s using the royal plural now baby? 🧂

Ostermilk

25 Oct 2018

motuscott wrote:
25 Oct 2018
Stay tuned for forthcoming pictures of my junk.
Always remember.

One persons junk is another persons treasure.

stratatonic

29 Oct 2018

TritoneAddiction wrote:
24 Oct 2018
4filegate wrote:
24 Oct 2018
Thanks for the tip, but I don't think I'll be using these sort of apps. I'd much rather work on music with proper monitors and have the full Reason experience on my computer.
We'll check up you later next year on that ...
Last edited by stratatonic on 05 Jul 2019, edited 1 time in total.

tronam

30 Oct 2018

Troublemecca wrote:
25 Oct 2018
Good to hear, it's still, generally, Apple's ethos to defend their profit margin, often at great expense to their user base... No 3.5mm jack... Proprietary charging port... No user accessible filesystem... Updates that intentionally cripple their own devices... All that keeps me away... With you on audio production though.
The lack of 3.5mm headphone jack still annoys me. There are workarounds with a multi-port adapter, but it's a shame we have to do that. The proprietary charging port was needed at the time though; it predated USB-C by 3 years and was vastly superior to flimsy connectors like micro-USB which I still hate with a passion. With the new iPad Pro announced today it is now the first iOS device to transition to USB-C, so hopefully this bodes well for a future iPhone transition as well. Every app has its own user accessible sandboxed filesystem and the recent Files app has made it a lot easier to access them all within a single interface, so this is far less of an issue than it used to be. The "intentional crippling" was largely misunderstood and blown out of proportion by the press. When phones detected crashing due to aging batteries that couldn't provide enough direct current to keep them running at full speed, they would downclock the processor to prioritize dependability over maximum performance. Apple's biggest blunder in all of that was poor communication. It can be toggled with a switch and it's easy to see battery health and consumption. iOS 12 actually boosted performance across all devices, even the 5 year old 5S by 70%. iPhones have the highest longevity in the industry and the best resale value. Good luck finding an Android phone from 5 years ago running the latest operating system. It's a fragmented mess of devices where most users are stuck at whatever version of Android the carriers or manufacturers stick on the device and few if ever see the latest security updates or new features. This is one of the biggest advantages of Google Pixel over other Android handset manufacturers.

EnochLight

30 Oct 2018

TritoneAddiction wrote:
24 Oct 2018

Currently on an iPhone 8 Plus (64 GB). I almost caved and got the new iPhone XS, but I'm glad I waited. Since the new iPad Pro that was announced today has transitioned to USB-C, I'm hoping next year's iPhone also transitions to USB-C, and then I'll upgrade. The Lightening port has served well over the past few years, but I'd love to have access to basically all that is USB-C now. Hopefully no more need for proprietary Camera Connection kits and what not (looking forward to see how the new iPad Pro works with USB-C)...
Win 10 | Ableton Live 11 Suite |  Reason 12 | i7 3770k @ 3.5 Ghz | 16 GB RAM | RME Babyface Pro | Akai MPC Live 2 & Akai Force | Roland System 8, MX1, TB3 | Dreadbox Typhon | Korg Minilogue XD

Zac

30 Oct 2018

Bring back the jack.

plaamook

31 Oct 2018

Zac wrote:
30 Oct 2018
Bring back the jack.
Why is there no longer a headphone jack papa?...
Well little one, we mortals can't hope to understand why They do what They do. All we can do it trust in Their wisdom and Their love for us.
Perpetual Reason 12 Beta Tester :reason:

You can check out my music here.
https://m.soundcloud.com/ericholmofficial
Or here.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC73uZZ ... 8jqUubzsQg

Zac

31 Oct 2018

plaamook wrote:
31 Oct 2018
Zac wrote:
30 Oct 2018
Bring back the jack.
Well little one, we mortals can't hope to understand why They do what They do. All we can do it trust in Their wisdom and Their love for us.
Dog loves us all. And Apples.

EnochLight

31 Oct 2018

plaamook wrote:
31 Oct 2018
Zac wrote:
30 Oct 2018
Bring back the jack.
In all seriousness, removing the old analog 3.5 mm headphone jack not only allowed Apple to raise the IP rating to IP68 (although the 7-X was only rated to IP67), but also gave them more room for electronics, enabling to shrink its size and add (presumably) more valuable features. And in all honesty, the old headphone jack didn't do a whole a lot, so its return on features was incredibly small.

I think the Forbes article from several years ago sums it up as well:
Well, the headphone jack has three purposes:
  • Get stereo audio out of the phone.
  • Get mono audio into the phone.
  • Get volume and play/pause signals into the phone.
All of these are not only redundant, but doubly redundant: the Lightning port and Bluetooth radio can both do all of these things.

The headphone jack can’t really do anything else. You can’t connect other accessories to it. (Well, you can do some simple, passive things like a Square card reader, but this is hacky, insecure, provides a poor user experience, and can be done better through Lightning or Bluetooth.)
https://www.forbes.com/sites/quora/2016 ... add0753058
Win 10 | Ableton Live 11 Suite |  Reason 12 | i7 3770k @ 3.5 Ghz | 16 GB RAM | RME Babyface Pro | Akai MPC Live 2 & Akai Force | Roland System 8, MX1, TB3 | Dreadbox Typhon | Korg Minilogue XD

• Information