Goodbye Hydlide?

This forum is for anything not Reason related, if you just want to talk about other stuff. Please keep it friendly!
antic604

30 Oct 2018

aeox wrote:
29 Oct 2018

For the record, I don't have cpu problems.. this was just me trying to abuse my computer. 6 note chord per instance of expanse
For the monther of God, please use Shift+Enter to return to the beginning of the project ;) :P :D

antic604

30 Oct 2018

fretshot7 wrote:
30 Oct 2018
This really suprises me. I'm using a Dell laptop win 10pro 64, i7 16GB mem (6 months old). Reason is installed on the ssd but all my samples on the hd that only spins at 5000, my audio interface is over usb in a non supported Novation Xio synth, and i can easily have loads if VK-2s instantiated, along with tons of other REs ... and VSTs ive had no resource issues whatsoever maybe three bars on the DSP. Occasionally the audio driver blows up but i just switch it to another driver and back again to reset it and im good to go.....
"Dell laptop with i7" doesn't really say much. For all we know it's a gaming laptop, with hexa-core i7-8850h that clocks up to 4GHz :)

Kenni
Site Admin

30 Oct 2018

ast3rix wrote:
30 Oct 2018
It seems very strange that props would not at least work with him directly
I don't see why.

If PH would actually need to work with anyone, they'd be better off working with an actual low-level developer that has actual experience programming multicore/threaded DSP code, like one of the talented Rack Extension developers out there for instance.

I have a hard time seeing past the nobody-listens-to-me's, the nobody-on-earth-knows-what-im-dealing-with's and the implicit trust-me-i-know-more-about-code-and-computers-and-reason-and-whatnot-than-ph-and-every-single-reason-user-out-there's. You can't have your license revoked for talking about Reason in a negative sense as a user. You'd need to publish NDA stuff as registered RE developer, if anything. We all agree that we want performance optimizations for Reason, yeah? But this...

I'm sorry for lashing out, but credit should be given where credit's due - And hydlide has a lot of amazing material with god knows how many man-hours spent in Reason and creating these videos, but to quote the video:
... at least there is a group of people who think I'm a drama-queen
- Yes, exactly. And behold, it worked. An entire thread that could easily just have been titled Intel i9 and Reason - Share your experiences! - Now there's a reply from an RT admin for him to make a video about as well. :)
Kenni Andruszkow
SoundCloud

VariableX

30 Oct 2018

antic604 wrote:
30 Oct 2018
fretshot7 wrote:
30 Oct 2018
This really suprises me. I'm using a Dell laptop win 10pro 64, i7 16GB mem (6 months old). Reason is installed on the ssd but all my samples on the hd that only spins at 5000, my audio interface is over usb in a non supported Novation Xio synth, and i can easily have loads if VK-2s instantiated, along with tons of other REs ... and VSTs ive had no resource issues whatsoever maybe three bars on the DSP. Occasionally the audio driver blows up but i just switch it to another driver and back again to reset it and im good to go.....
"Dell laptop with i7" doesn't really say much. For all we know it's a gaming laptop, with hexa-core i7-8850h that clocks up to 4GHz :)
haha true ... its no gaming laptop, i7-855OU @1.8GHz 4 cores. Also a Radeon 4GB 530 ( not a gaming graphics card)

Reason 10.2 cpu usage set at 95% and use multi core and use hyperthreading both enabled.

Heigen5

30 Oct 2018

I didn't watch the whole video, but I have to disagree that you always need to know stuff in a practise. I DO AGREE, that our yesterdays power-horse computers are aging too quickly though. I mean, my first computer that had Reason installed on it, was 33% of 1 Hyperthreading itself, in speedwise. Genius may not always need to know too much to see where the problem seems to stick out like an 'aisa.

JiggeryPokery
RE Developer

30 Oct 2018

EnochLight wrote:
29 Oct 2018
you should get with a proper ASIO card with low latency. Do you find the performance is similar using your ASIO interface?
I may be misunderstanding the conversation here, so apologies if that's the case, it's just that comment seems contradictory, as low latency ASIO isn't going to get you playing more instances of eXpanse since performance, in that sense, and latency has an inverse relationship.

ASIO latency and DSP performance are co-dependent, but "performance" here is actually two entirely different yet mutually exclusive aspects.

ASIO-support does not, in particular, give you lots of extra performance for running plugins*. It allows you to have low latency performance. . That's the entire point; there's no, or no discernable, lag for recording.

So it's still a trade-off, and the samples-to-latency ratio is something every user has to balance based on their particular setup. Even then, it's not necessarily a fixed value, either. If the user wants extra performance to run more plugins, a user will still have to increase the latency; if a user needs to record they need to reduce it at the expense of maybe having to disable enough plugins to allow the latency to be reduced to a level that's acceptable while not creating audio glitches. You can't have low latency and lots of things running (or if you can, then, um... er... ok, I want what you've got! :lol: ).

* Rather, ASIO support should of course provide way more plugin performance at any particular #samples than DX at the same #, but that's merely by dint of ASIO being dedicated to its respective hardware, and thus vastly superior; however, it's still a trade-off between latency performance and DSP performance, just the values either way should be better compared to DX.

scratchnsnifff

30 Oct 2018

Adabler wrote:
29 Oct 2018
Cultor wrote:
29 Oct 2018
Do you by any chance own the Polymodular System ?
If you do curious what happends when you try the "Epic Plucker" Preset.
Factory bank can be downloaded here: http://blamsoft.com/rack-extensions/polymodular-system/
That preset alone absolutely destroys my CPU i7- 6700k
I'm from the future. That patch will become the weapon that destroys skynet!
I was hoping it would take down the wraith and ori

Thus revealing a new gate sequence and three extra chevrons which dial the gate to another universe built by the ancients
Mayor of plucktown :evil:

chimp_spanner

30 Oct 2018

scratchnsnifff wrote:
30 Oct 2018
Adabler wrote:
29 Oct 2018

I'm from the future. That patch will become the weapon that destroys skynet!

Thus revealing a new gate sequence and three extra chevrons which dial the gate to another universe built by the ancients
*shivers* ooooh yeah, talk stargate to me bby

scratchnsnifff

30 Oct 2018

chimp_spanner wrote:
30 Oct 2018
scratchnsnifff wrote:
30 Oct 2018

Hahahahaha I just died a little!

Glad someone on earth knows what I’m talking about! The folks in my age group never seem to get those references

Not to derail the thread even more but did you see the latest star gate thing on iTunes? It’s a mini movie about before Daniel jackson finding the gate. Complete with nazi bad guys and good ol American bois

Btw can someone please name a synth after the asguard?
Mayor of plucktown :evil:

EnochLight

30 Oct 2018

Kenni wrote:
30 Oct 2018
ast3rix wrote:
30 Oct 2018
It seems very strange that props would not at least work with him directly
I don't see why.

If PH would actually need to work with anyone, they'd be better off working with an actual low-level developer that has actual experience programming multicore/threaded DSP code, like one of the talented Rack Extension developers out there for instance.

I have a hard time seeing past the nobody-listens-to-me's, the nobody-on-earth-knows-what-im-dealing-with's and the implicit trust-me-i-know-more-about-code-and-computers-and-reason-and-whatnot-than-ph-and-every-single-reason-user-out-there's. You can't have your license revoked for talking about Reason in a negative sense as a user. You'd need to publish NDA stuff as registered RE developer, if anything. We all agree that we want performance optimizations for Reason, yeah? But this...

I'm sorry for lashing out, but credit should be given where credit's due - And hydlide has a lot of amazing material with god knows how many man-hours spent in Reason and creating these videos, but to quote the video:
... at least there is a group of people who think I'm a drama-queen
- Yes, exactly. And behold, it worked. An entire thread that could easily just have been titled Intel i9 and Reason - Share your experiences! - Now there's a reply from an RT admin for him to make a video about as well. :)
^THIS^

X1000.
Win 10 | Ableton Live 11 Suite |  Reason 12 | i7 3770k @ 3.5 Ghz | 16 GB RAM | RME Babyface Pro | Akai MPC Live 2 & Akai Force | Roland System 8, MX1, TB3 | Dreadbox Typhon | Korg Minilogue XD

chimp_spanner

30 Oct 2018

scratchnsnifff wrote:
30 Oct 2018
chimp_spanner wrote:
30 Oct 2018

Hahahahaha I just died a little!

Glad someone on earth knows what I’m talking about! The folks in my age group never seem to get those references

Not to derail the thread even more but did you see the latest star gate thing on iTunes? It’s a mini movie about before Daniel jackson finding the gate. Complete with nazi bad guys and good ol American bois

Btw can someone please name a synth after the asguard?
Huge SG fan! And most sci fi tbh. I didn’t see that though, no. I shall check it out after work!

By which I mean after I start work. At 11:40. When will I learn.

Cultor

30 Oct 2018

Mattias has commented on Reddit that Hydlide has in fact NOT lost his license, nothing was revoked.
Like I suspected Propellerhead will not just revoke a license on a whim without any real legal ground.
This doesn't put Hydlide in a great position does it ?

Post can be read here:

Wobbleburger

30 Oct 2018

EnochLight wrote:
29 Oct 2018
Wobbleburger wrote:
29 Oct 2018
And check out the latest chapter in the Hydlide drama: .youtube.com/watch?v=UMfsKztbbsY

Good riddance
I seriously can't be arsed to wade through a 25 minute video of him blabbing. Can you please just summarize the gist of the video? :)
TBH I couldn't make it either. His Reason license was taken away, apparently. Not 100% sure I believe it but if it's true, Propellerhead did not like his initial video.
In the 90s, my midi music was on the Baulder's Gate site. That was my life peak.
Reasonite since 2000. My music (and my old midi) can be found here:
https://futurewizard.org

EnochLight

30 Oct 2018

Cultor wrote:
30 Oct 2018
Mattias has commented on Reddit that Hydlide has in fact NOT lost his license, nothing was revoked.
Like I suspected Propellerhead will not just revoke a license on a whim without any real legal ground.

Post can be read here:

Jesus. So all this is clearly for YouTube clicks and drama? Look, I don’t deny Reason has performance issues when compared to other DAW, but Hydlide’s behavior is nothing short of sociopathic. Dafuq man?
Last edited by EnochLight on 30 Oct 2018, edited 1 time in total.
Win 10 | Ableton Live 11 Suite |  Reason 12 | i7 3770k @ 3.5 Ghz | 16 GB RAM | RME Babyface Pro | Akai MPC Live 2 & Akai Force | Roland System 8, MX1, TB3 | Dreadbox Typhon | Korg Minilogue XD

Wobbleburger

30 Oct 2018

Cultor wrote:
30 Oct 2018

Post can be read here:
Ugh - Hylide is such a strange guy. I guess he just wanted attention. Either way, I've unsubscribed to his channel. He knows Reason but I'd rather take the rough road and learn it without his help.
In the 90s, my midi music was on the Baulder's Gate site. That was my life peak.

electricthing

30 Oct 2018

Oquasec wrote:
29 Oct 2018
Reason 7+ exclusive feature https://www.propellerheads.com/en/reaso ... ernal-midi
"Control any plugin format you can think of whether it be AAX/VST/AU/RE with this handy dandy Module"
Thanks, Isn't this just for hardware midi? At first sight I see no mention of plugins.

chimp_spanner

30 Oct 2018

Well I feel dumb for even entertaining the possibility that his license was revoked >__<

I mean I could kinda understand why they would, but I did also say I'd believe it when I'd see it. I think the guy just needs some time off. For his health.

And the rest of us, self included, need to just focus on the joy of making music in Reason rather than benchmarking it to death. Obviously some people seem to have real issues and I hope they get sorted but all of this stuff detracts so much from all of the cool things we could and should be doing in Reason.

I feel like we need a positive thread to cleanse the palette!
Last edited by chimp_spanner on 30 Oct 2018, edited 2 times in total.

stephensmattlee

30 Oct 2018

How odd. Did find it odd if Props had revoked his licence based on what we’d seen him talk about so far considering he hadn’t really gone into any details or done anything that breached any licence agreements in the 2 videos.
I wonder why he claimed they’d revoked it?

As much as Reason does have a lot of shortfalls and catching up to do with the competition (especially in terms of VST performance), I do think it’s unfair to criticise Props when we already know they are working on a performance update patch.
If he wasn’t happy with Reason as a daw and felt the urge to migrate to Ableton (which is perfectly understandable), then why not rewire Reason into Ableton so he can use the stock Reason devices inside of Ableton running VSTs?

Just seems so strange that he’s suddenly gone into a bit of a bitter tirade against Propellerheads and Reason without any real explanation and claimed that they’re targeting him by revoking his licence.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Kenni
Site Admin

30 Oct 2018

Cultor wrote:Mattias has commented on Reddit that Hydlide has in fact NOT lost his license, nothing was revoked.

Post can be read here:
Surprise.
Kenni Andruszkow
SoundCloud

guitfnky

30 Oct 2018

the fact that his crappy antics have gone so far they require a response from actual Props developers is really aggravating. having to take time that could be spent updating code to improve the performance he’s whining about and instead spend it on massaging his fragile ego is such a waste.
I write good music for good people

https://slowrobot.bandcamp.com/

MarkTarlton

30 Oct 2018

Kenni wrote:
30 Oct 2018
Cultor wrote:Mattias has commented on Reddit that Hydlide has in fact NOT lost his license, nothing was revoked.

Post can be read here:
Surprise.
thanks for updating us! I was feeling frustrated for everyone involved. I had my suspicions that propellerheads would do the right thing, and from their response I see that is the case.

Wobbleburger

30 Oct 2018

guitfnky wrote:
30 Oct 2018
the fact that his crappy antics have gone so far they require a response from actual Props developers is really aggravating. having to take time that could be spent updating code to improve the performance he’s whining about and instead spend it on massaging his fragile ego is such a waste.
Couldn't have said it better myself.

EnochLight

30 Oct 2018

Wobbleburger wrote:
30 Oct 2018
guitfnky wrote:
30 Oct 2018
Couldn't have said it better myself.
This reminds me of another drama-lama that elicited a similar response from Props years ago. I won't name names, but he was banned once before from here, he's been banned at KVR, and just seems to draw the drama. So sad to see Hydlide go down a similar road. Is this what the YouTube/Twitter generation really boils down to? :(

esselfortium

30 Oct 2018

chimp_spanner wrote:
29 Oct 2018
It's not really VST he's talking about. The implication is that he's "discovered" something from Reason 8 onwards that's causing all-round poor performance, that the VST will do little-to-nothing to address it, and furthermore that he will violate the EULA to reveal the cause in a subsequent video. Which, if I had to guess, is what put him on the shit-list.

All of which is weird because - and I sound like a broken record here - I work and record in Reason almost every day. If I was unable to play a chord in eXpanse, or video capture for my work, or use VSTs or make music, I would've jumped ship a long time ago, despite the absurd amount of Rack Extensions I've bought. I definitely don't remember there being any performance drop from 7-8, but it was such a long time ago ya know.
My experience doesn't bear out what he's describing, either. On the contrary, upgrading to Reason 8 actually fixed some performance hangups that had been haunting me with large projects on 6 and 7. I was thrilled when I finally updated.
Sarah Mancuso
My music: Future Human

antic604

30 Oct 2018

guitfnky wrote:
30 Oct 2018
Hey, heeeeeyyyy! ;) :D

• Information