Goodbye Hydlide?

This forum is for anything not Reason related, if you just want to talk about other stuff. Please keep it friendly!
User avatar
Wobbleburger
Posts: 83
Joined: 14 Sep 2018
Location: Austin

Post 21 Oct 2018

Say it isn't true!!

Reason is an absolutely beautiful piece of software. It's my favorite thing I have installed... That said, most of my 'finished' tracks run too slow to edit my tracks in real-time. Having to bounce every channel to audio to keep things smooth is not a fair solution. I get why it runs slow... The graphics, the cables, the CV - it's not a normal DAW. But something has to be done to keep it relevant in this ultra-competitive market.
Last edited by Wobbleburger on 30 Oct 2018, edited 4 times in total.
:essentials: :re:
I like jungle.

lakinlakin
Posts: 110
Joined: 07 Jan 2016
Location: Scotland

Post 21 Oct 2018

Hope not. He's been a real help for me learning Reason.

User avatar
Loque
Posts: 4224
Joined: 28 Dec 2015

Post 21 Oct 2018

Time will tell...Dont stick with stuff that stick you.
:reason: 10, Win10 64Bit.

User avatar
rgdaniel
Posts: 143
Joined: 07 Sep 2017

Post 21 Oct 2018

I am not quite sure what he's on about with the EULA. Not that I've actually read it or anything, but he's talking like he's under some kind of gag order, which sounds more like an NDA or something you agree to when beta testing, not something that would prevent you from speaking about bugs you've found with the shipping version.

User avatar
Wobbleburger
Posts: 83
Joined: 14 Sep 2018
Location: Austin

Post 21 Oct 2018

rgdaniel wrote:
21 Oct 2018
I am not quite sure what he's on about with the EULA. Not that I've actually read it or anything, but he's talking like he's under some kind of gag order, which sounds more like an NDA or something you agree to when beta testing, not something that would prevent you from speaking about bugs you've found with the shipping version.
Yea, much like the title of this thread, it may all be clickbait.
:essentials: :re:
I like jungle.

User avatar
Loque
Posts: 4224
Joined: 28 Dec 2015

Post 21 Oct 2018

rgdaniel wrote:
21 Oct 2018
I am not quite sure what he's on about with the EULA. Not that I've actually read it or anything, but he's talking like he's under some kind of gag order, which sounds more like an NDA or something you agree to when beta testing, not something that would prevent you from speaking about bugs you've found with the shipping version.
Yea, that "hidden" stuff he could not talk about made me wonder too. But since he said, he will see in the next update and than he gonna talk about, what else could it be than some stuff about the implementation details of the vst performance rewrite? Well, just speculations in the end.
:reason: 10, Win10 64Bit.

User avatar
CephaloPod
Posts: 238
Joined: 16 Jan 2015

Post 21 Oct 2018

Who cares? And watching him fiddle around with synths that are what, 10 years old now, like he's just discovering them. OH look, it's Absynth! LOL.
2011 iMac i7; 24 GB RAM; OSX Sierra; Nektar LX 49; MOTU Microbook
Reason/Logic

User avatar
CephaloPod
Posts: 238
Joined: 16 Jan 2015

Post 21 Oct 2018

Loque wrote:
21 Oct 2018
rgdaniel wrote:
21 Oct 2018
I am not quite sure what he's on about with the EULA. Not that I've actually read it or anything, but he's talking like he's under some kind of gag order, which sounds more like an NDA or something you agree to when beta testing, not something that would prevent you from speaking about bugs you've found with the shipping version.
Yea, that "hidden" stuff he could not talk about made me wonder too. But since he said, he will see in the next update and than he gonna talk about, what else could it be than some stuff about the implementation details of the vst performance rewrite? Well, just speculations in the end.
He's hinting that the new optimizations aren't going to handle multi-core as well as they could/should. We'll see.
2011 iMac i7; 24 GB RAM; OSX Sierra; Nektar LX 49; MOTU Microbook
Reason/Logic

User avatar
Loque
Posts: 4224
Joined: 28 Dec 2015

Post 21 Oct 2018

CephaloPod wrote:
21 Oct 2018
Loque wrote:
21 Oct 2018


Yea, that "hidden" stuff he could not talk about made me wonder too. But since he said, he will see in the next update and than he gonna talk about, what else could it be than some stuff about the implementation details of the vst performance rewrite? Well, just speculations in the end.
He's hinting that the new optimizations aren't going to handle multi-core as well as they could/should. We'll see.
Well, he was talking about this stuff, yea. Since the hyperthreading support i realized that Reason is doing their own scheduling for jobs and that may interferre with VSTs if it is not scheduled by the OS. But if this is the main problem, that should be quite easy to fix since it isjust a bit different handling of jobs, but could be a problem, if it is some kind of polling.
:reason: 10, Win10 64Bit.

User avatar
rgdaniel
Posts: 143
Joined: 07 Sep 2017

Post 21 Oct 2018

Personally, I'm appreciative of his attempts to educate me on the more arcane workings of Reason devices (however old, they may be new to some) and on the ins and outs (literally) of CV madness. I say "attempts" to educate, because more often than not, he lost me about halfway through, for which I at least partially blame myself. Tiny little attention span.

User avatar
aeox
Posts: 1835
Joined: 23 Feb 2017
Location: Oregon

Post 21 Oct 2018

I would love some performance improvements :thumbs_up:

I'm still on a 2011 2.6ghz dual server cpus with 16 cores, I get by quite well. If anything it has really taught me how to "optimize" my DSP usage. Instead of throwing all those big heavy DSP VST all over my tracks, sometimes all it takes is a simple and cpu efficient solution to achieve what I want.

That said, can't wait for the performance to open up a little bit :) I've been training for this..
whoahh

Last edited by aeox on 24 May 2018, edited too many times in total.

User avatar
Reasonable man
Posts: 247
Joined: 14 Jul 2016

Post 21 Oct 2018

Honestly . If the company rang me to say that they can make my computer operate Reason at the same effeciency as other more linear (and boring) daws but at the price of taking away some of my cv routing options ...i'd probably take that.
All the time here i hear guys talkin about an improved performance since whatever vesion of Reason etc etc . Good luck to em and i;m generally happy for them .... its just ..i don't believe them.
The rest of us are able to make less tracks per song than ever before.. using probably a very similiar approach.
You need to be able to record , write and produce music , not stop a third of the way in when your mac is cracking and say to youeself 'ah well at least i tried!' . In other daws you dont have to say this to yourself.
We all love Reason and we all know that if somehow they managed to sort this out so its managable ... i dare say they wouldn't be another daw out there that could touch reason, but this prorblrm whatever it may be sounds like a complicated fix.

Undistraction
Posts: 172
Joined: 11 May 2018

Post 21 Oct 2018

Just another symptom of how far Reason has fallen behind the competition. Even the hardcore fanboys are jumping ship.

Just like we got a half-assed Reason 10, a half-assed mobile Reason and a half-assed workflow update, we'll get a half-assed performance update too.

We backed the wrong pony. And the only reason many people are still here is because they've sunk so much into Rack Extensions.
Last edited by Undistraction on 21 Oct 2018, edited 2 times in total.

fretshot7
Posts: 69
Joined: 02 Apr 2018

Post 21 Oct 2018

Sounds to me like he's all butthurt cos Propellerheads won't include him in something and he is throwing his dummy out the pram.

User avatar
CephaloPod
Posts: 238
Joined: 16 Jan 2015

Post 21 Oct 2018

Bunch of drama queens.
2011 iMac i7; 24 GB RAM; OSX Sierra; Nektar LX 49; MOTU Microbook
Reason/Logic

User avatar
jam-s
Posts: 474
Joined: 17 Apr 2015
Location: Aachen, Germany

Post 21 Oct 2018

https://trends.google.com/trends/explor ... t3h,Bitwig

Bitwig is not doing much better according to this graph...

I think, Hydlide might have used some debugger or disassembler to take a look at the Reason binary code. While this might be explicitly forbidden by the EULA I don't think it would withstand a legal battle, as reverse engineering is allowed for quite a few cases under EU law. Also a license revocation might be borderline illegal without a refund. Still it might take a few years of fighting for your customer rights at various courts.
If you're in Aachen, come and visit us at the Voidspace.

JdA57
Posts: 36
Joined: 20 Jul 2017

Post 21 Oct 2018

:D Hopefully he'll leave. :D
For shure: Dramaqueen. :D

One of this 'Reason Experts' that, in my eyes, only think he's THE Expert . Often he makes me laught. His videos and word's never from interest for me. (won't listen to him too!)

Reason (actually) is like it is and really it's going straight forward. Props never told anyb. of us, that Reason is or will be a DAW like other DAW's. It's special and really that why I'm (and our studio/schools) using it since version 1 and like it very much. I've no problem with performance or anything like this.

User avatar
Bumbum
Posts: 169
Joined: 14 Jan 2017

Post 21 Oct 2018

Undistraction wrote:
21 Oct 2018
Just another symptom of how far Reason has fallen behind the competition. Even the hardcore fanboys are jumping ship.
have you followed Hydlide's channels? he is not a "hardcore fanboy", he has history of ranting about propellerheads and how they treat tutorial makers (or something,it was long time ago)

User avatar
chimp_spanner
Posts: 1927
Joined: 06 Mar 2015

Post 21 Oct 2018

Unless he’s decompiled the program and understands it well enough to know what he’s looking at...I don’t think PH will be too ruffled. I’m not a fan of the whole “I’m leaving” thing. If something about reason is stopping from making music, then by all means leave for “greener pastures”. But seems silly to do that before the optimisation update drops. If he has discovered something about the internal workings of the program, it’ll probably cease to be valid after the update as - if I understand the props correctly - they’ve had to majorly rewrite some parts of the program.

But yeah I mean ultimately if it’s making him so unhappy then ya know...do what you gotta do.
Enjoy!

http://www.paulortizmusic.com

HP Envy J130ea | i7 4700MQ | 12 GB DDR | 2GB GeForce 740m | Komplete Audio 6

scratchnsnifff
Posts: 1011
Joined: 21 Sep 2016

Post 21 Oct 2018

chimp_spanner wrote:
21 Oct 2018
Unless he’s decompiled the program and understands it well enough to know what he’s looking at...I don’t think PH will be too ruffled. I’m not a fan of the whole “I’m leaving” thing. If something about reason is stopping from making music, then by all means leave for “greener pastures”. But seems silly to do that before the optimisation update drops. If he has discovered something about the internal workings of the program, it’ll probably cease to be valid after the update as - if I understand the props correctly - they’ve had to majorly rewrite some parts of the program.

But yeah I mean ultimately if it’s making him so unhappy then ya know...do what you gotta do.
True. I just hope he keeps his videos up online. I love his old videos on malström Thor and the earlier rack extensions. His videos started getting shady around the release of the rig package conflict. If I remember correctly that was one of his first negative chain of videos.
But either way, I think he’ll end up just taking a break. Other daws are fun and powerful. But reason is it’s own thing. Plus I only have a lite version of ableton and Reason easily rewires with ableton :) just a matter of telling ableton to get the sound of Reason into its audio track
Mayor of plucktown :evil:

User avatar
fotizimo
Posts: 254
Joined: 15 Jan 2016
Location: Canada

Post 21 Oct 2018

JdA57 wrote:
21 Oct 2018
:D Hopefully he'll leave. :D
For shure: Dramaqueen. :D
Sometimes this place really makes me sad. I like Reason, but don't always like Reason users. I want to spend time here to learn more from the Reason community, but always close the browser tab feeling depressed.
Fotizimo @ Instagram
:reason: on Surface Pro 4
Nektar Impact 25
Novation Launchkey Mini
Arturia SparkLE Spark Codec for Reason

User avatar
chimp_spanner
Posts: 1927
Joined: 06 Mar 2015

Post 21 Oct 2018

scratchnsnifff wrote:
21 Oct 2018
chimp_spanner wrote:
21 Oct 2018
Unless he’s decompiled the program and understands it well enough to know what he’s looking at...I don’t think PH will be too ruffled. I’m not a fan of the whole “I’m leaving” thing. If something about reason is stopping from making music, then by all means leave for “greener pastures”. But seems silly to do that before the optimisation update drops. If he has discovered something about the internal workings of the program, it’ll probably cease to be valid after the update as - if I understand the props correctly - they’ve had to majorly rewrite some parts of the program.

But yeah I mean ultimately if it’s making him so unhappy then ya know...do what you gotta do.
True. I just hope he keeps his videos up online. I love his old videos on malström Thor and the earlier rack extensions. His videos started getting shady around the release of the rig package conflict. If I remember correctly that was one of his first negative chain of videos.
But either way, I think he’ll end up just taking a break. Other daws are fun and powerful. But reason is it’s own thing. Plus I only have a lite version of ableton and Reason easily rewires with ableton :) just a matter of telling ableton to get the sound of Reason into its audio track
And of course there’s nothing wrong with using other daws, either to take a holiday from your habits or just to use them for what they’re best at. The video just seems overly salty I guess. Like if it’s bringing him that little joy...why wait? Get going on some new software, turn that frown upside down and make music!

And yeah I know; REs. We all knew they were locked in to the platform and non exchangeable when we bought them. It is what it is. Europa is an interesting proof of concept, though, in as much as porting REs to other formats. So who knows what’ll be possible in the future? Maybe he’ll be able to use his 3k+ of racks afterall!
Enjoy!

http://www.paulortizmusic.com

HP Envy J130ea | i7 4700MQ | 12 GB DDR | 2GB GeForce 740m | Komplete Audio 6

User avatar
Ahornberg
Posts: 1542
Joined: 15 Jan 2016
Location: Vienna, Austria

Post 21 Oct 2018

I run out of CPU/DSP on every DAW. For me, rendering synths to audio is the way to go.

fretshot7
Posts: 69
Joined: 02 Apr 2018

Post 21 Oct 2018

fotizimo wrote:
21 Oct 2018
JdA57 wrote:
21 Oct 2018
:D Hopefully he'll leave. :D
For shure: Dramaqueen. :D
Sometimes this place really makes me sad. I like Reason, but don't always like Reason users. I want to spend time here to learn more from the Reason community, but always close the browser tab feeling depressed.
Cheer up bruz! Reason rocks!
As far as im concerned its the best music making software out there :-)
Its Hydlide you should be down on, negativity breeds negativity, he has spat his dummy because something has happened between him and propellerheads and his ego is hurt.... I'd rather he became a happy Reason user again with positive vibes, but until then im not going near any of his vlogs.

User avatar
QVprod
Posts: 2023
Joined: 15 Jan 2015

Post 22 Oct 2018

Undistraction wrote:
21 Oct 2018
Just another symptom of how far Reason has fallen behind the competition. Even the hardcore fanboys are jumping ship.
Hylide? Fanboy? :lol: He criticizes Propellerhead more than you do.
Just like we got a half-assed Reason 10, a half-assed mobile Reason and a half-assed workflow update, we'll get a half-assed performance update too.

We backed the wrong pony. And the only reason many people are still here is because they've sunk so much into Rack Extensions.

Google keywords aren't a good way to display Propellerhead's success. Simply changing the search term to "Reason 10" gave me the opposite result. That aside, I don't think anyone is "stuck" using Reason because of Rack Extensions. If you're that upset with the product you'd simply switch to a different platform as Hylide is considering doing. Or... as many do, simply buy another DAW that excels at what Reason doesn't and use them interchangeably. Good VSTs aren't necessarily all that expensive, especially with stores like PluginBoutique.

  • Information
  • Who is online

    Users browsing this forum: CommonCrawl [Bot] and 1 guest