What if you would roadmap a song?

This forum is for anything not Reason related, if you just want to talk about other stuff. Please keep it friendly!
Marco Raaphorst

08 Oct 2018

Put it all on Github, share all the ingredients in one folder. Chordschemes, samples, loops, recorded parts, mixer settings, all. And open source it so anyone can copy it, improve it and so on.

Is that ever been done? I am fully aware of Creative Commons but I have not seen an open source roadmapped album.

normen

08 Oct 2018

Technically thats what for example traditionals are, right? :)

Ostermilk

08 Oct 2018

Here's one I did earlier. :) (or did I?)

Marco Raaphorst

08 Oct 2018

normen wrote:
08 Oct 2018
Technically thats what for example traditionals are, right? :)
yes, except for audio recordings. only staff.

normen

08 Oct 2018

Marco Raaphorst wrote:
08 Oct 2018
Well thats just added, right? I mean how to arrange it, what instrument to use, what brand of instrument to use, what miking technique to use, what mike to use - thats pretty much a straight line. :)

Marco Raaphorst

08 Oct 2018

normen wrote:
08 Oct 2018
Marco Raaphorst wrote:
08 Oct 2018
Well thats just added, right? I mean how to arrange it, what instrument to use, what brand of instrument to use, what miking technique to use, what mike to use - thats pretty much a straight line. :)
ok, but also the source was not open.

staff is closed source :)

Reasonable man

08 Oct 2018

I remember having to briefly reseach open source media and creative common licenced material and samples, international online collaboratons 'for fun' and a host of websites that feature such.
I remember at the time thinking ....what is the point of any of this? And i know that this is the cynic in me thinking this but i didn't get where the 'fun' bit comes in or why anyone would dedicate much time to such a non profit system of working.
All the little promo vids i watched of people smiling and supposedly having a great time collaborating musically with strangers online and releasing works under a creative commons licence... little of it rang true for me.
Most of the song writers and bands who put music on these sites...most these songs are impeccably recorded and produced but ultimatley as generic as it gets and the 'artists' struck me as the kind of people who have full tome jobs in other sectors (in high enough positions at that) and are doing music and the creative commons thing as an expensive and time consuming hobby.
The 'benifit' to it is that your song may be be used as backround music in an adertisement or youtube/film, commercial etc etc at which point your material is creative commons so depending on the commercial/non commercial staus of your material may or may not be re-negotiated to enable some kind of slight commercial profit....again i remember thinking ....why?

I have no interest in thia kind of set up ...again this is just the cynic in me talking . I wonder where i would find the time for such a frivilous and ultimatley time consumming non-profit making expedition as these systems. But then because we are able to consume, download and stream music for free for the past 20 years for nothing i think that music as a commidity has already been cheapened enough and its currency is falling still to the point that alot of people involved in music production question its validity as a way to earn a living.

MannequinRaces

08 Oct 2018

Roadmapping a song seems like way too much work. Maybe if I was famous and had an assistant. :) Why not just share the song file?

Troublemecca

08 Oct 2018

Reasonable man wrote:
08 Oct 2018
I remember having to briefly reseach open source media and creative common licenced material and samples, international online collaboratons 'for fun' and a host of websites that feature such.
I remember at the time thinking ....what is the point of any of this? And i know that this is the cynic in me thinking this but i didn't get where the 'fun' bit comes in or why anyone would dedicate much time to such a non profit system of working.
All the little promo vids i watched of people smiling and supposedly having a great time collaborating musically with strangers online and releasing works under a creative commons licence... little of it rang true for me.
Most of the song writers and bands who put music on these sites...most these songs are impeccably recorded and produced but ultimatley as generic as it gets and the 'artists' struck me as the kind of people who have full tome jobs in other sectors (in high enough positions at that) and are doing music and the creative commons thing as an expensive and time consuming hobby.
The 'benifit' to it is that your song may be be used as backround music in an adertisement or youtube/film, commercial etc etc at which point your material is creative commons so depending on the commercial/non commercial staus of your material may or may not be re-negotiated to enable some kind of slight commercial profit....again i remember thinking ....why?

I have no interest in thia kind of set up ...again this is just the cynic in me talking . I wonder where i would find the time for such a frivilous and ultimatley time consumming non-profit making expedition as these systems. But then because we are able to consume, download and stream music for free for the past 20 years for nothing i think that music as a commidity has already been cheapened enough and its currency is falling still to the point that alot of people involved in music production question its validity as a way to earn a living.
Technology (such as Reason) has democratised the industry... People who would have otherwise not attempted, are creating, and new avenues for distribution are being opened. I believe this is a transition phase, and the industry will figure a way to properly monetize things like streaming media... Musician guilds will likely have to step-up. I agree that all you can eat for the cost of one album per month is unsustainable.

That said, people are making money. Question is, doing what? I imagine recording studios are taking big hits to their bottom line.

guitfnky

08 Oct 2018

Marco Raaphorst wrote:
08 Oct 2018
Put it all on Github, share all the ingredients in one folder. Chordschemes, samples, loops, recorded parts, mixer settings, all. And open source it so anyone can copy it, improve it and so on.

Is that ever been done? I am fully aware of Creative Commons but I have not seen an open source roadmapped album.
not sure if anyone’s done a full album on it, but if I’m understanding you right, you can do this on hitrecord.com. let’s you share your entire song files, stems, notes, whatever, for anyone who wants to deconstruct and reassemble as they see fit.

it’s a pretty cool idea, and I signed up several months ago, but it wasn’t that intuitive to find projects and get involved, so I lost interest. hopefully they figure that stuff out. it’s a promising concept for collaboration, IMO.
I write music for good people

https://slowrobot.bandcamp.com/

Marco Raaphorst

09 Oct 2018

Reasonable man wrote:
08 Oct 2018

Yes it will be mostly uses as background music, I agree.

For me it would be fun to share and see if people will reuse it and what comes out of it. Like how Wikipedia does it for example.

Marco Raaphorst

09 Oct 2018

MannequinRaces wrote:
08 Oct 2018
Roadmapping a song seems like way too much work. Maybe if I was famous and had an assistant. :) Why not just share the song file?
Would love to see people using all the parts. I guess sharing the stems would already be a cool idea.

Marco Raaphorst

09 Oct 2018

guitfnky wrote:
08 Oct 2018
Marco Raaphorst wrote:
08 Oct 2018

not sure if anyone’s done a full album on it, but if I’m understanding you right, you can do this on hitrecord.com. let’s you share your entire song files, stems, notes, whatever, for anyone who wants to deconstruct and reassemble as they see fit.

it’s a pretty cool idea, and I signed up several months ago, but it wasn’t that intuitive to find projects and get involved, so I lost interest. hopefully they figure that stuff out. it’s a promising concept for collaboration, IMO.
thanks, hitrecord.com I didn't know. I was very active on ccmixter.org for many years, you can share the stems there. but I am thinking a little further even. sharing the demos as well. roadmapping it. I guess it will be fun for some people to follow The Making Of An Album.

etyrnal

24 Oct 2018

Cool idea... and the song could have Forks. Somebody decides they want to take it in a different direction and they for kit. What a fun idea altogether

Sent from my XT1575 using Tapatalk

• Information