creating you tube videos for your music

This forum is for anything not Reason related, if you just want to talk about other stuff. Please keep it friendly!
gritz

04 Oct 2018

people of reason talk
I have recently moved into creating videos for my music, used old silent movies for the images and the latest video my singer and myself filmed on iphones and used iMovie to sync the track to what we filmed.

however, I would be interested if you guys do the same, and if you have any tips with regards of where you get your films from, copyright issues, infringement issues and general experience in uploading to youtube.

Micha1973

04 Oct 2018

hi*

search for free pictures and films on the net! also in every movie you should name the creator and the licence holder of pictures/movies! when you take pictures/movies there not free - ask them.
Music Is My Life
&
Reason 12 sounds better :essentials:

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCsW3Wr ... gA05XklBng

Timmy Crowne
Competition Winner

04 Oct 2018

Archive.org has a pretty big library of old film footage. Most if not everything there is up for grabs and free to use.

The only time I ever got a video blocked on YouTube was when I did a dubstep remix of an Adele song.

pushedbutton

04 Oct 2018

I found something called plane9 a couple of weeks ago.
it's pretty much an audio visualiser which you can use to generate pretty graphics.
https://www.plane9.com/
@pushedbutton on twitter, add me, send me a message, but don't try to sell me stuff cos I'm skint.
Using Reason since version 3 and still never finished a song.

Noplan
Competition Winner

04 Oct 2018

Learn Blender.

O1B

04 Oct 2018

FastWalker Plug:

... maybe he'll chime in...

Marc64

05 Oct 2018

https://magicmusicvisuals.com/

THIS is the ultimate program and I have been looking for exactly this for ages and now I own it, bought performer version yesterday.
It's just awesome! I mean it... it's just plain awesome!!

Skickat från min SM-G935F via Tapatalk

Ahornberg

05 Oct 2018

I did this last winter with a mirror effect.

RobC

05 Oct 2018

Timmy Crowne wrote:
04 Oct 2018
Archive.org has a pretty big library of old film footage. Most if not everything there is up for grabs and free to use.

The only time I ever got a video blocked on YouTube was when I did a dubstep remix of an Adele song.
Did you do everything from scratch? (Cause if so, that would be unfair if they block a cover / remix.)

jayhosking

05 Oct 2018

RobC wrote:
05 Oct 2018
Timmy Crowne wrote:
04 Oct 2018

Did you do everything from scratch? (Cause if so, that would be unfair if they block a cover / remix.)
He didn’t write the song from scratch. Hence, it’s not unfair at all.

demt

05 Oct 2018

resolum avenue 6 is a good 1
https://resolume.com/software/v6
Reason 12 ,gear4 music sdp3 stage piano .nektar gxp 88,behringer umc1800 .line6 spider4 30
hear scince reason 2.5

Timmy Crowne
Competition Winner

05 Oct 2018

jayhosking wrote:
05 Oct 2018
RobC wrote:
05 Oct 2018

Haha, exactly. I used an acapella and wrote music around it. That’s a no-no.

Noplan
Competition Winner

05 Oct 2018

Timmy Crowne wrote:
04 Oct 2018

Much depends on the law of a country. Here in Germany we distinguish between editing and a cover. A cover may actually only be performed without new-creative elements. One may only reinterpret the original work and register with the Gema. Remixes and mashups are edits and are not allowed if you have not obtained permission from the authors. Also, we have no "fair use" here.

jayhosking

05 Oct 2018

Timmy Crowne wrote:
05 Oct 2018
jayhosking wrote:
05 Oct 2018

Haha, exactly. I used an acapella and wrote music around it. That’s a no-no.
Only a no-no in terms of the rules! I find working on covers to be a humbling experience, and great for learning new things.

Jagwah

06 Oct 2018

Marc64 wrote:
05 Oct 2018

THIS is the ultimate program and I have been looking for exactly this for ages and now I own it, bought performer version yesterday.

Does it have a sequencer for planning out how things will look, or is it more of a live tool like Resolume, do you know?

RobC

06 Oct 2018

jayhosking wrote:
05 Oct 2018
RobC wrote:
05 Oct 2018

He just told you, he used an acapella I see. If it's a cover, or free to use acapella, then the block isn't fair, though!

What I'm trying to find out is: is it now even unacceptable to make covers from scratch?

jayhosking

06 Oct 2018

RobC wrote:
06 Oct 2018
jayhosking wrote:
05 Oct 2018

He just told you, he used an acapella I see. If it's a cover, or free to use acapella, then the block isn't fair, though!

What I'm trying to find out is: is it now even unacceptable to make covers from scratch?
Respectfully, I think you might be confused about IP laws. (Or maybe I am, as it's been this way for a long time and maybe something's changed, but if YouTube is taking down covers then I think nothing has changed.)

You have to ask permission to release a cover. If you want to put a cover of someone's song on your album, or on YouTube, or wherever else, you have to have permission from the writer of the song. It's their song. They have control over it. And they should. Imagine all the situations where people might use or cover your song where you don't want it.

It's not unacceptable to make covers from scratch. It's unacceptable to release covers from scratch without the permission of the creator. This is as true for straight covers as it is for remixes (though there, you have to get permission from performers too) as it is for parodies (a la Weird Al Yankovic). This is how it's been for a very long time.

RobC

06 Oct 2018

jayhosking wrote:
06 Oct 2018
RobC wrote:
06 Oct 2018

Respectfully, I think you might be confused about IP laws. (Or maybe I am, as it's been this way for a long time and maybe something's changed, but if YouTube is taking down covers then I think nothing has changed.)

You have to ask permission to release a cover. If you want to put a cover of someone's song on your album, or on YouTube, or wherever else, you have to have permission from the writer of the song. It's their song. They have control over it. And they should. Imagine all the situations where people might use or cover your song where you don't want it.

It's not unacceptable to make covers from scratch. It's unacceptable to release covers from scratch without the permission of the creator. This is as true for straight covers as it is for remixes (though there, you have to get permission from performers too) as it is for parodies (a la Weird Al Yankovic). This is how it's been for a very long time.
Good to know! Then there's like absolutely zero chance to get heard.

Marc64

08 Oct 2018

Jagwah wrote:
Marc64 wrote:
05 Oct 2018

Does it have a sequencer for planning out how things will look, or is it more of a live tool like Resolume, do you know?
It doesnt have like a "normal" sequencer , you do scenes and set duration how long they show til next scene.

Jagwah

08 Oct 2018

Marc64 wrote:
08 Oct 2018
Jagwah wrote:
It doesnt have like a "normal" sequencer , you do scenes and set duration how long they show til next scene.

Thanks sounds interesting I'll check it out.

VariableX

10 Oct 2018

i use clips, stop motion, imovie, video crop and a shed load of different filters all with the iphone and post little videos up to instagram with my music:
https://www.instagram.com/exceptioncodeinfinity/

Noplan
Competition Winner

10 Oct 2018

You have to ask permission to release a cover. If you want to put a cover of someone's song on your album, or on YouTube, or wherever else, you have to have permission from the writer of the song. It's their song.

Practically, this is handled so that Youtube automatically detects covers and informs the label. In most cases, nothing happens. If you monetize the video you only get a tiny fraction of the advertising revenue. For example, I have a cover with over 150k views, of which then $ 5 go to me.

RobC

10 Oct 2018

Noplan wrote:
10 Oct 2018
You have to ask permission to release a cover. If you want to put a cover of someone's song on your album, or on YouTube, or wherever else, you have to have permission from the writer of the song. It's their song.

Practically, this is handled so that Youtube automatically detects covers and informs the label. In most cases, nothing happens. If you monetize the video you only get a tiny fraction of the advertising revenue. For example, I have a cover with over 150k views, of which then $ 5 go to me.
Oooh! So it maybe just gets blocked in X Y countries and that's it? Then we're not so lost after all!

• Information