Is modern music rubbish?

This forum is for anything not Reason related, if you just want to talk about other stuff. Please keep it friendly!
Marco Raaphorst

08 Oct 2018

it's all subjective and relative.

does only matter if you like it as listener. or like it as a maker.

Troublemecca

08 Oct 2018

Marc64 wrote:
08 Oct 2018
Its like what our parents told us and our parents parents told them and so on... "Music was better in my days"

Skickat från min SM-G935F via Tapatalk
It's not that it was better, it's that as they grew older, they took less and less interest in music. They had children and they stopped exploring. When they did listen they would reach for their go-to hits, which eventually became oldies, and by then they would completely miss a generation of creativity (culture), the assimilation of which is often a primer to appreciating a work. What fascinates me the most about modern music, is how dynamic it is, and by that I just mean fluid... there really are no rules to this shit. Perhaps much of it sounds the same anyway, but that's because of economics, not the absence of talent! There are people out there defining new genres as we speak, many of them probably on this forum.

Marco Raaphorst

09 Oct 2018

I think we live in very interesting times. Top of the charts in Spotify is utterly shitty for my taste, too much quantise, too much auto-tune, too much perfection and gloss, but there's so many music which is not like that. It is mostly retro though because all music software is now focussed on auto-tune, make it easier, and retro analog, so no new methods, but that's ok with me. We live in revival times. We just went into the 80s again. Not the innovative, but that type of music. They are all using retro instruments. Hell, even people are doing that old modular stuff again :D

C//AZM

09 Oct 2018

Marco Raaphorst wrote:
09 Oct 2018
I think we live in very interesting times. Top of the charts in Spotify is utterly shitty for my taste, too much quantise, too much auto-tune, too much perfection and gloss, but there's so many music which is not like that. It is mostly retro though because all music software is now focussed on auto-tune, make it easier, and retro analog, so no new methods, but that's ok with me. We live in revival times. We just went into the 80s again. Not the innovative, but that type of music. They are all using retro instruments. Hell, even people are doing that old modular stuff again :D
The difference is here in the US, the radio DJs aren't even allowed to play what they want, therefore their taste in music doesn't matter. Also, the corporations have a much tighter stranglehold on what gets heard and when. Before, a dedicated DJ could break a song and turn them into a regional sensation which would then grow organically to national spotlight.
Add to that the myopic clamp down in the innovative sound collage artists like the Bomb Squad which took sampling to a new level... well the legal departments killed that for the sake of BS overly cumbersome sample restrictions and greedy artists. (really? 40k for that snare sample when you didn't even know it was you?)

Add to that less places to go hear good and mediocre bands playing, failing, learning and improving, playing bigger venues and building a fan-base till they're ready to record..
Add to that less emphasis on music education in schools.
Add to that the maniacal insistence of only having Classic Rock, Modern Pop Modern Country, and Hip-Hop radio stations. Almost no Jazz, Classical, Blues, Bluegrass, American Songbook, or Broadway from which to expand the listener's palate.

However we have the internet and we have the college radio scenes and we have smart kids who seek out and find eclectic, good, intriguing original music. It's just that RADIO won't care about them....ever.
The only thing that has changed is radio. Music is ever evolving. People's taste stagnates but there's the young people to move the taste forward.

_--EDIT-- this isn't really a response to Marco's post but an independent post. Dunno why I decided to quote him.

• Information