Is modern music rubbish?

This forum is for anything not Reason related, if you just want to talk about other stuff. Please keep it friendly!
Aosta

02 Oct 2018

I tend to agree

Tend the flame

EpiGenetik

02 Oct 2018

Is modern pop/pop-culture a reek-infested bag of shite?

Yes, absolutely.

Is modern music rubbish?

No.

Loque

02 Oct 2018

Maybe I would not say it that hard. Most pop songs are written by a few ppl following a working schema. Songs need to catch fast and must be easy to get access to them. Nobody has the time to get that cool, unique song in the bunch of 100000 new songs every day.

And The Beatles were a boy band. They started experimenting when they started LSD that all was influenced by... Dunno... Forgot... Yeah, yeah, yeah... Baby...

Time changes, I don't like everything, but my parents did not liked what I was listening to and so on... Since the 90s music is not made with "real" instruments...times just change...
Reason12, Win10

motuscott

02 Oct 2018

EpiGenetik wrote:
02 Oct 2018
Is modern pop/pop-culture a reek-infested bag of shite?
with the minor exception of my stuff, yes absolutely
Who’s using the royal plural now baby? 🧂

splangie

02 Oct 2018

Yes and no. As it was and ever shall be.

Zac

02 Oct 2018

splangie wrote:
02 Oct 2018
Yes and no. As it was and ever shall be.
This^

selig
RE Developer

02 Oct 2018

Yes, in every generation, modern music is rubbish.

Then, after a while, it's a guilty pleasure.

Finally, it's "vintage" and "nostalgic".

;)
Selig Audio, LLC

MarkTarlton

02 Oct 2018

the good music will live on. every generation has their heroes and wannabes.

selig
RE Developer

02 Oct 2018

MarkTarlton wrote:the good music will live on. every generation has their heroes and wannabes.
The good music will live on, and so will the rubbish. For example, I still love hearing “Sugar Sugar” by The Archies, which is not exactly “good music”. But it takes me back to my childhood and makes me feel good, and I like hearing it again from time to time. Plenty of other examples as well, so who’s to say what’s “good” and what’s not?

[and who doesn’t like to play to The Shags (my pal foot foot) every so often, if just to see the reaction of your friends…]

Sent from some crappy device using Tapatalk
Selig Audio, LLC

MarkTarlton

02 Oct 2018

selig wrote:
02 Oct 2018
MarkTarlton wrote:the good music will live on. every generation has their heroes and wannabes.
The good music will live on, and so will the rubbish. For example, I still love hearing “Sugar Sugar” by The Archies, which is not exactly “good music”. But it takes me back to my childhood and makes me feel good, and I like hearing it again from time to time. Plenty of other examples as well, so who’s to say what’s “good” and what’s not?

[and who doesn’t like to play to The Shags (my pal foot foot) every so often, if just to see the reaction of your friends…]

Sent from some crappy device using Tapatalk
because you grew up and have an emotional attachment to it....music is just a way for us to re-live our memories...when we are dead and gone, than the real true music will be there...classical music :)

cgijoe

02 Oct 2018

Music has always been great. I don't believe in there being a best time for music. Every generation has incredible artists. You just have to know where to look and keep an open mind, open heart, and open ears.

QVprod

02 Oct 2018

The flaws in his argument are the comparison to one Beatles song (or was it the whole album?). Not all of The Beatles songs had an orchestra. There were plenty of cookie cutter songs during that era as well.

That aside, at the risk of being crucified here, I'll say that I don't believe The Beatles are the gold standard of great music. They have some good songs but they were and okay band... Certainly not the best to ever do it.

Marco Raaphorst

02 Oct 2018

Weird music is interesting. Trying new things. Things we cannot relate to. We need to explore.

gullum

02 Oct 2018

Pop/ular music has always been just that popular, you like it because it is popular, not necessarily because you think it's good, same with yo-yo in the 80 and fidget spinners you just have to have them because it's popular and everyone has them or your not cool. but luckily there will always be people don't care what is popular and if they fit in. Music will live on many years and be great.
The Beatles have a few good songs but so does Max the millennium album by Backstreet Boys is one of my all time favorite albums and I'm a metal head.
He might be on to something but his taste is not the ultimate only good taste in music so to some he might be totally off

Troublemecca

02 Oct 2018

What is 'modern music'...? If it qualifies as what plays on the radio, then yes, much of modern music is garbage. I promise you there is someone out there making stuff that will blow you away, they are just lost in the sea of mediocrity. I find about two or three per year that give me chills. It helps if you are not genre bound.

Sent from my SM-G955U1 using Tapatalk

jlgrimes

02 Oct 2018

not necessarily.

I hear new songs I like. There is more noise though so it can be harder to find the gems.

Dabbler

03 Oct 2018

yes, unless it's promoted properly, assuming it is undeniably good, does not veer too far from the norm and does not threaten the masses.

Dabbler

03 Oct 2018

Dabbler wrote:
03 Oct 2018
yes, unless it's promoted properly, assuming it is undeniably good, does not veer too far from the norm and does not threaten the masses.
that makes no sense at all. :lol:

Troublemecca

03 Oct 2018

Dabbler wrote:
Dabbler wrote:
03 Oct 2018
that makes no sense at all. [emoji38]
Are you a record exec? I have this mixtape...

Sent from my SM-G955U1 using Tapatalk

motuscott

03 Oct 2018

Well I for one who is somewhat familiar with the rock cannon, think the Beatles were the gold standard. Speaking of which, Geoff Emerick just passed. That man changed the sound of popular music as we know it. Flame on...
Also Sugar Sugar, the version by Alex Chilton, totes rockin'
Who’s using the royal plural now baby? 🧂

Zac

03 Oct 2018

motuscott wrote:
03 Oct 2018
Well I for one who is somewhat familiar with the rock cannon, think the Beatles were the gold standard. Speaking of which, Geoff Emerick just passed. That man changed the sound of popular music as we know it. Flame on...
Also Sugar Sugar, the version by Alex Chilton, totes rockin'
<3

No it's not a cock and balls.

Heigen5

04 Oct 2018

My opinion about Beatles music is: Boring and old, I think half of the tunes made are better than that.

tt_lab

04 Oct 2018

IMO when you start a phrase stating "Modern (subject) is shit" you only are saying that you are old!

Marc64

08 Oct 2018

Its like what our parents told us and our parents parents told them and so on... "Music was better in my days"

Skickat från min SM-G935F via Tapatalk

• Information