Have Daw's Reached Their Limit?

This forum is for anything not Reason related, if you just want to talk about other stuff. Please keep it friendly!
Marco Raaphorst

26 Sep 2018

selig wrote:
25 Sep 2018
Reasonable man wrote:
25 Sep 2018
One thing for sure . They're gonna get more complicated and more complicated!
OR, they will get simpler and simpler. Could go either way…
;)
I think more simple.

Oquasec

26 Sep 2018

Yeah man daws are only gonna get more complex as time goes on and you'll have a 2000 page manual instead of the 500 page manual reason 5 has
Producer/Programmer.
Reason, FLS and Cubase NFR user.

normen

26 Sep 2018

Nah - people get less and less able to read manuals or spend the time to understand an UI or any appliance for that matter so no worries, they'll KISS.

Marco Raaphorst

26 Sep 2018

"Siri, please record my friggin' guitar on the first track and gimme a crunchy sound!"

normen

26 Sep 2018

Marco Raaphorst wrote:
26 Sep 2018
"Siri, please record my friggin' guitar on the first track and gimme a crunchy sound!"
"Siri, I got this song in my head that..."
"Alright, heres your master, shall I post it on the matrix?"

.... ;)

Loque

26 Sep 2018

normen wrote:
26 Sep 2018
Marco Raaphorst wrote:
26 Sep 2018
"Siri, I got this song in my head that..."
"Alright, heres your master, shall I post it on the matrix?"

.... ;)
I think i need a new mobile phone 🤔🙄
Reason12, Win10

Creativemind

26 Sep 2018

jam-s wrote:
22 Sep 2018
Creativemind wrote:
21 Sep 2018
What's left?

I often think, what else can they add?
Will be interesting to see what people think the next big thing will be or any dream features people here would like in a daw that doesn't exist yet?
That's easy. Most folks wouldn't say 'no' to a "create a top1 banger right now!"-button. ;)
Haha! but what's hot and what's not is all subjective isn't it.
:reason:

Reason Studio's 11.3 / Cockos Reaper 6.82 / Cakewalk By Bandlab / Orion 8.6
http://soundcloud.com/creativemind75/iv ... soul-mix-3

normen

27 Sep 2018

Loque wrote:
26 Sep 2018
Dude, Apples "Music Memos" app kills me. You just record yourself playing guitar and singing via the iPhone mic and bam if you want it puts a fitting drum and bass (!) track right to the tune with one button - 90% of the time they were spot on for me.

avasopht
Competition Winner

27 Sep 2018

There are countless ways DAWs could be different, but someone's got to sit down and program that innovation at the risk of not being able to sell to that tiny niche within a niche who can now get Tracktion for free.

QVprod

27 Sep 2018

I believe the question at hand for those who believe there's more to be done is; what do you want in a DAW that hasn't been done already? That applies to any DAW, not just Reason.

avasopht
Competition Winner

27 Sep 2018

QVprod wrote:
27 Sep 2018
I believe the question at hand for those who believe there's more to be done is; what do you want in a DAW that hasn't been done already? That applies to any DAW, not just Reason.
There are countless other ways of composing, especially for people who like to sample their own works and mess around with glitch style effects that could be facilitated by the DAW.

After composing I sometimes bounce everything down to audio and treat the recordings as samples to mess around with. A DAW could facilitate this by providing a "composite" sample that is treated as if it was just a sample, but after I'd finished with all my mangling, I could go back into my original project the recording was made from and adjust the mix, or even better, be given a channel strip to control static channel strip settings for the sample so that I would be able to modify EQ, effects, etc.

For articulations you could have some algorithmic articulation assistant for orchestral instruments that would take your patterns, play around with your instrument (sampling necessary articulations, or even articulations between a set of selected instruments) and then transform it into a more lifelike performance for that particular instrument. This could be accompanied by additional articulation controls to better instruct the algorithm. Alternatively, just some improved support for manual composition with articulations in mind.

A built in database of phrases from your projects based around a chord or chord sequence could be provided to help facilitate composers who tend to build lots of loops that could probably be exchanged between unfinished songs. This may even be a common need and could be facilitated by library "inspiration / progression" sequences that contain a simple piano or guitar backing to form the foundation (or chord format) for your sequences.

For browsing patches, a DAW like Reason could facilitate the exploration of one's sounds with suggestions of patches, folders or refills.

Some of these are all things you can sort of do yourself manually to a certain extent. If you had some developers working directly with forward thinking engineers and composers, by just building tools around their workflow and needs you could probably come up with a variety of different angles for a DAW.

QVprod

27 Sep 2018

avasopht wrote:
27 Sep 2018
QVprod wrote:
27 Sep 2018
There are countless other ways of composing, especially for people who like to sample their own works and mess around with glitch style effects that could be facilitated by the DAW.

After composing I sometimes bounce everything down to audio and treat the recordings as samples to mess around with. A DAW could facilitate this by providing a "composite" sample that is treated as if it was just a sample, but after I'd finished with all my mangling, I could go back into my original project the recording was made from and adjust the mix, or even better, be given a channel strip to control static channel strip settings for the sample so that I would be able to modify EQ, effects, etc.

For articulations you could have some algorithmic articulation assistant for orchestral instruments that would take your patterns, play around with your instrument (sampling necessary articulations, or even articulations between a set of selected instruments) and then transform it into a more lifelike performance for that particular instrument. This could be accompanied by additional articulation controls to better instruct the algorithm. Alternatively, just some improved support for manual composition with articulations in mind.

A built in database of phrases from your projects based around a chord or chord sequence could be provided to help facilitate composers who tend to build lots of loops that could probably be exchanged between unfinished songs. This may even be a common need and could be facilitated by library "inspiration / progression" sequences that contain a simple piano or guitar backing to form the foundation (or chord format) for your sequences.

For browsing patches, a DAW like Reason could facilitate the exploration of one's sounds with suggestions of patches, folders or refills.

Some of these are all things you can sort of do yourself manually to a certain extent. If you had some developers working directly with forward thinking engineers and composers, by just building tools around their workflow and needs you could probably come up with a variety of different angles for a DAW.
I can somewhat understand the composite sample thing. Essentially what Studio One does for it's master file, you can tweak the mix and it also updates the master. I wouldn't trust my computer to make creative choices for me though. The rest pretty much goes back to convenience rather than innovation.

Marco Raaphorst

27 Sep 2018

normen wrote:
27 Sep 2018
Loque wrote:
26 Sep 2018
Dude, Apples "Music Memos" app kills me. You just record yourself playing guitar and singing via the iPhone mic and bam if you want it puts a fitting drum and bass (!) track right to the tune with one button - 90% of the time they were spot on for me.
yeah AI drummer and bass. and chord notation.

it is Logic.

Jagwah

28 Sep 2018

When we have CV controlled video editing I will no longer need Reason updates, not sure about you guys though :)

avasopht
Competition Winner

01 Oct 2018

QVprod wrote:
27 Sep 2018
I can somewhat understand the composite sample thing. Essentially what Studio One does for it's master file, you can tweak the mix and it also updates the master. I wouldn't trust my computer to make creative choices for me though. The rest pretty much goes back to convenience rather than innovation.
Definitely going to get back Studio One at some point. I really liked the workflow, I just wish there was tighter integration with Rewire so that I could record directly into either.

QVprod

01 Oct 2018

avasopht wrote:
01 Oct 2018
QVprod wrote:
27 Sep 2018
Definitely going to get back Studio One at some point. I really liked the workflow, I just wish there was tighter integration with Rewire so that I could record directly into either.
Yeah Rewire can be a pain if you like to route individual outs. As a stereo mix I didn't mind it as much when I still used it. Fun fact though, the 'Transform to Audio' function works with Rewire the same way it does with VSTs.

• Information