Can any of my fave metal albums be easily remastered?

This forum is for anything not Reason related, if you just want to talk about other stuff. Please keep it friendly!
Zac

12 Sep 2018

I just notice i can boost some of my old faves with gain and eq on my phone without much distortion. I just wonder if the Slayer albums had a modern polish whether they would be such art more widely appreciated?

And so for various artists (include own fave here).

jetpilot00

13 Sep 2018

I've gone down this path a few times.
I've recorded line-in from my vinyl and tape and eq'ed some more to make it sound better to these ears. It was simply just to noodle around to see if I could bring out the mix a bit more to sound better on modern equipment.

It works very well. Someday, when my kids are in school all day and the wife goes back to work, I'll get a chance to make some final re-mixes.
***If life is a song, I've just passed the guitar solo.***

Zac

13 Sep 2018

Definitely. I have Poweramp on my phone which i use as an mp3 player via a large microsd card. I'm always playing with the gain and graphic eq to suit the headphones im using.

I have to change it album to album but i don't mind. Usually after a minute or two of the 1st song i have it dialled in for that album.

I might try remastering Reign In Blood. Mainly just eq and a modern limiter.

MarkTarlton

13 Sep 2018

I guess I'm one of those who prefers to have the final product the way the band and producers intended it for the time. I know a lot of bands who have gone through this...I always use the picture analogy....when you go through a yearbook of photos you will notice fashion and hair cuts that you don't like, if you could change that would you? it's funny how sensitive we are to stuff like this. my personal opinion on some of the remasters I have heard is I don't like it most of the time because I get used to a certain sound....I don't want it to be medium bright and than super bright cymbals etc...

Zac

14 Sep 2018

MarkTarlton wrote:
13 Sep 2018
I guess I'm one of those who prefers to have the final product the way the band and producers intended it for the time. I know a lot of bands who have gone through this...I always use the picture analogy....when you go through a yearbook of photos you will notice fashion and hair cuts that you don't like, if you could change that would you? it's funny how sensitive we are to stuff like this. my personal opinion on some of the remasters I have heard is I don't like it most of the time because I get used to a certain sound....I don't want it to be medium bright and than super bright cymbals etc...
Come to think of it I'm like this as well a lot of the time. Often the dynamics are gone. I guess it's mainly me just adjusting my headphone sound to what i remember or think sounds best.

I could remaster some albums only to find that when i change headphones, i still end up trying to adjust eq.?

• Information