Getting old?

This forum is for anything not Reason related, if you just want to talk about other stuff. Please keep it friendly!
normen

02 Sep 2018

Jagwah wrote:
02 Sep 2018
I kind of draw a line between man and child with Pokemon

Jagwah

02 Sep 2018

minilog wrote:
02 Sep 2018
Jagwah wrote:
02 Sep 2018
I kind of draw a line between man and child with Pokemon - if you know what Pokemon is you are a child to me and you always will be.
Pokemon has been around for twenty years which means an average thirty year old might know about it.
I watched cartoons as a child 20 - 30 years ago. Pokemon was never on my radar, ever. My friends my age don't understand anything about - it's as alien to them as it is me. Maybe it's something to do with location and what aired on your television over a certain time. Maybe you are looking at it through parents eyes watching your children's programs, I don't know. It came way after the Simpsons in my town and I was over the Simpsons a long time ago, not knocking it, just stating it's so.

Jagwah

02 Sep 2018

Post deleted
Last edited by Jagwah on 02 Sep 2018, edited 1 time in total.

minilog

02 Sep 2018

Jagwah wrote:
02 Sep 2018
I watched cartoons as a child 20 - 30 years ago. Pokemon was never on my radar, ever. My friends my age don't understand anything about - it's as alien to them as it is me.
I was ten years old when I found out about Pokemon and I'm thirty now. The show wasn't very amusing. The real hype was in the Gameboy video games and the trading cards which people collected like crazy.

Jagwah

02 Sep 2018

minilog wrote:
02 Sep 2018
Jagwah wrote:
02 Sep 2018
I watched cartoons as a child 20 - 30 years ago. Pokemon was never on my radar, ever. My friends my age don't understand anything about - it's as alien to them as it is me.
I was ten years old when I found out about Pokemon and I'm thirty now. The show wasn't very amusing. The real hype was in the Gameboy video games and the trading cards which people collected like crazy.
OK so it came out when I was about 18 - I probably went out of my way to catch South Park at this time, but was quite anti-television too and rarely watched any programs. Judging by what you said, I'd say Pokemon is about one generation after me, I really thought it was much more.

Aosta

03 Sep 2018

Jagwah wrote:
02 Sep 2018

I know it's a japanese cartoon of some sort and you can get a ton of merch for it and a crap game came out a few years ago that made crowds of people go nuts and walk into traffic.
I know what it looks like but have only ever seen short clips used for other purposes. No idea of any story or character history and honestly could not give a shit.
Tend the flame

aeox
Competition Winner

03 Sep 2018

minilog wrote:
02 Sep 2018
Jagwah wrote:
02 Sep 2018
Yea I wish I saved mine and kept them in good condition...
charizard.png
charizard.png (556.04 KiB) Viewed 971 times

demt

04 Sep 2018

Zac wrote:
01 Sep 2018
demt wrote:
01 Sep 2018
Ive all ways lied about my age and yes grandad has the essential pair of girls to guide his vegan self thtough the heavens of hedonism
Sex and drugs and rock n roll is kerping an eye on the rolling stones
I will only say it once. But why so obscure? I'm convinced it's not a language thing by now. It seems to me you are intelligent and alternative and have something to say, yet you make it almost impossible to reply to anything you 'state'. I recognise this because i think i do the same sometimes. To me demt says demented in my mind.
i used to do this character on purpose in my early video days {thousands of clicks} when over a period of time it took over ,i have trouble arranging my word these days as that character is in main control, its all a bit ziggy stardust etc ,yes i regret it sometimes.especially when discussing technical details,sorry .
Reason 12 ,gear4 music sdp3 stage piano .nektar gxp 88,behringer umc1800 .line6 spider4 30
hear scince reason 2.5

MrFigg
Competition Winner

04 Sep 2018

demt wrote:
04 Sep 2018
Zac wrote:
01 Sep 2018

I will only say it once. But why so obscure? I'm convinced it's not a language thing by now. It seems to me you are intelligent and alternative and have something to say, yet you make it almost impossible to reply to anything you 'state'. I recognise this because i think i do the same sometimes. To me demt says demented in my mind.
i used to do this character on purpose in my early video days {thousands of clicks} when over a period of time it took over ,i have trouble arranging my word these days as that character is in main control, its all a bit ziggy stardust etc ,yes i regret it sometimes.especially when discussing technical details,sorry .
More William Burroughs/ Brion Gysin than Ziggy Stardust if you ask me. :)
🗲 2ॐ ᛉ

KirkMarkarian

04 Sep 2018

With 40 just around the bend, people calling me "sir" because of my gray beard hair, and modern day media coming to the point of making no sense at all... I'm not old enough yet to be complaining about this. Meaning, I'm not old. But I am. When did this happen?

My musical tastes are actually going backwards past my birth date to much older music. 50's, 60's, 70's. Yeah, I'm a fan of the 80's underground, but still. Older music is better.

Real feelings and emotions. Today? No emotion. Emotion has been simplified to Neanderthal level. And no, it's not the regular old man ramp upwards. It's an exponential curve. I've read the lyrics. I can't be moved by generic phrasing of Everyman thoughts. Why sing if what you're saying is as generalized as a Big Mac with cheese?

So, this is progress?

Zac

04 Sep 2018

demt wrote:
04 Sep 2018
Zac wrote:
01 Sep 2018

That's interesting. Glad i called you out on it now, i would never have known. Carry on.

normen

04 Sep 2018

KirkMarkarian wrote:
04 Sep 2018
With 40 just around the bend, people calling me "sir" because of my gray beard hair, and modern day media coming to the point of making no sense at all... I'm not old enough yet to be complaining about this. Meaning, I'm not old. But I am. When did this happen?

My musical tastes are actually going backwards past my birth date to much older music. 50's, 60's, 70's. Yeah, I'm a fan of the 80's underground, but still. Older music is better.

Real feelings and emotions. Today? No emotion. Emotion has been simplified to Neanderthal level. And no, it's not the regular old man ramp upwards. It's an exponential curve. I've read the lyrics. I can't be moved by generic phrasing of Everyman thoughts. Why sing if what you're saying is as generalized as a Big Mac with cheese?

So, this is progress?
It's just the normal human "sophistication threshold" I suppose - people like to indulge in simple things but at some point you always get the urge to go in the other direction again. Like rock is simple in musical terms but then theres prog rock etc. So it's a constant tide back and forth I reckon, with different phases in different areas (arts, society, politics) all overlapping.

And as for the "new generation" - when I started to see them in another light my view about the "fakeness" changed a lot. Theres no simple constructs to hold on to anymore really, the basic message is "we're on a floating rock in space asphyxiating ourselves because we have no idea how to handle all our shit". Before it was something like "We build better refidgerators than anyone else in the world and then we're good". So it's basically just existentialism - "Well then I have youtube and snapchat at least, looks like this is my world then".

And really - "Hey hey hey it's a beautiful day" isn't exactly the height of western culture either ;)

Zac

04 Sep 2018

IMO it's alot to do with age. I truly believe that the music you love between 12 and 22 you will always love. So long as you find your thing. If you're not passionate about that music then maybe music will get lost to you as you get older? I still find new music i enjoy but it's ever declining as i get older.

I find it interesting to look at my phone the morning after getting slaughtered (it's often on the floor next to my bed) to the point i don't remember going to sleep/bed. It's usually one of about 10 to 15 albums most of which i got into in my teens.

Let's face it a few centuries ago I'd be lucky to be alive at 46.

Listen to as much music as you can when you're young. Best thing i ever did.

Jagwah

04 Sep 2018

Aosta wrote:
03 Sep 2018
Jagwah wrote:
02 Sep 2018

I know it's a japanese cartoon of some sort and you can get a ton of merch for it and a crap game came out a few years ago that made crowds of people go nuts and walk into traffic.
I know what it looks like but have only ever seen short clips used for other purposes. No idea of any story or character history and honestly could not give a shit.
Yeah I know it's Japanese too and a yellow animal with a tail and that's about it. When someone speaks to me about it like it's a common topic of conversation I find a huge disconnect with that person, like we are from different eras of time and I guess we are to a degree.

deepndark

05 Sep 2018

THE END OF WORLD IS HERE!!!!!!1!!!1!1

demt

07 Sep 2018

the beginning of a new age continues at 1 perscent ahead i mean theres the robotic fireman/dog in the pipeline
Reason 12 ,gear4 music sdp3 stage piano .nektar gxp 88,behringer umc1800 .line6 spider4 30
hear scince reason 2.5

splangie

07 Sep 2018

I still enjoy Ren and Stimpy.

Zac

07 Sep 2018

I keep up with news these days. I never did when i was young, there was enough going off in my own life not to worry about the outside world.

What would be the news you'd most like to hear before you go?

Mine would be that life had been found outside our solar system or that a unified theory had been found in physics.

demt

12 Sep 2018

funny thing is with positive threads like this won i sorta feel dissasociated if i turn on the radio and its complete inability to broadcast anything positive it tries but you can tell its on a subliminal level and theres been no consensus on how to beat the negativism of bad news sells with a preplanned positive selection of news
ps this is a very important point please email your local radio station is exactly what i should of done 30 years ago its so important arghhhhhhhhhhhh do something attack attack attack etc etc etc
hear scince reason 2.5

• Information