So what are everyone's thoughts about binaural beats??

This forum is for anything not Reason related, if you just want to talk about other stuff. Please keep it friendly!
Aosta

11 Aug 2018

Just been browsing through the multitude of 'deep relaxation, pineal gland, gamma wave, lucid dreaming, 3rd eye, DMT activation' long as hell videos on youtube and though very pleasant to just listen to in an ambient kind of way personally I think it is an lot of nonsense, thoughts?

Just an example...

Tend the flame

aeox
Competition Winner

11 Aug 2018

If music can make you feel a certain way then I don't think it's too farfetched to think that certain vibrations can help you sleep or promote deeper sleep. I'm not an expert on the subject so I can't definitely say one way or the other. "'deep relaxation, pineal gland, gamma wave, lucid dreaming, 3rd eye, DMT activation" are just a lot of buzzwords if you ask me. Most of the people looking for these kinds of videos have more likely than not had a profound psychedelic experience in the past. Maybe the person has experimented with DMT or LSD/Mushrooms. From then on they try to reach this state naturally through lucid dreaming, bineral beats, meditation etc. Generally just have a deeper appreciation for nature and vibration than the person that hasn't had a profound psychedelic experience.

With that said, I personally think listening to the sounds of nature is the way to go, like we've been for thousands of years. Rain, wind blowing through trees, water tricking, water falls, etc. All of these events create "negative ions" in the air which are good for the body. Crystals also create negative ions. My father actually has a mat that he lays on at night that is completely filled with amethyst crystals and is a big negative ion generator basically. As I said, I'm no expert and have done no scientific tests.

messy-jesse

12 Aug 2018

Personally I want to believe binaural beats do have an effect on the body. I added about 30 pages of binaural beat frequencies into my personal production bible.

While listening to any binaural beat I created (using headphones and no background noise) I definitely notice a third sound that is inaudible (sounds like a war drum in my head) although I haven't experienced any unusual effects.

I want to incorporate a binaural beat in a song instead of using dithering and see if anyone has a positive reaction to it.

I can tell you using a 33hz bass line drives females crazy! (In a good way) but that isn't even binaural.

soundcloud.com/messy-jesse

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

MrFigg
Competition Winner

12 Aug 2018

Back around ‘88/ ‘89’ when psychedelics were making a big comeback and music was squelchy I did a lot of floating in float tanks, Gysin Dreamachines, sensory deprivation and the likes. I had a “brain machine” with LED glasses and binaural beats through headphones. Always used Alpha at night to fall asleep, Beta to wake up and Theta when I needed to focus. Seemed to work but that also might have been because music was squelchy :).
🗲 2ॐ ᛉ

Flandersh

17 Aug 2018

Independent of this forum post, I did a rapid review of some of the research literature on binaural beats. I did it mainly for personal interest, so be critical if you delve into it ;)

selig
RE Developer

17 Aug 2018

aeox wrote:
11 Aug 2018
If music can make you feel a certain way then I don't think it's too farfetched to think that certain vibrations can help you sleep or promote deeper sleep. I'm not an expert on the subject so I can't definitely say one way or the other. "'deep relaxation, pineal gland, gamma wave, lucid dreaming, 3rd eye, DMT activation" are just a lot of buzzwords if you ask me. Most of the people looking for these kinds of videos have more likely than not had a profound psychedelic experience in the past. Maybe the person has experimented with DMT or LSD/Mushrooms. From then on they try to reach this state naturally through lucid dreaming, bineral beats, meditation etc. Generally just have a deeper appreciation for nature and vibration than the person that hasn't had a profound psychedelic experience.

With that said, I personally think listening to the sounds of nature is the way to go, like we've been for thousands of years. Rain, wind blowing through trees, water tricking, water falls, etc. All of these events create "negative ions" in the air which are good for the body. Crystals also create negative ions. My father actually has a mat that he lays on at night that is completely filled with amethyst crystals and is a big negative ion generator basically. As I said, I'm no expert and have done no scientific tests.
I'm totally with you - we have evolved to respond well to natural sounds all around us. I always feel better when in nature, and even when listening to natural recordings (great for falling asleep too!).

The problem with the "music makes you feel a certain way" is that it doesn't work for everyone. If it did, composing for film would be simple, use a minor chord for sad, major chord for happy, done!

But humans are far more complex than that!

As for folks that "feel" binaural beats work, I can't argue with that. But I've never heard anyone point to tests that prove it works, just like with the 432 Hz 'craze'.

Considering that the placebo effect is real (for some, at least), it doesn't matter if any of these other things are "real" or not. It's just not going to be the same for everyone, and certainly not a reliable "sure thing". But if it works for you, by all means use it!
:)
Selig Audio, LLC

Flandersh

17 Aug 2018

selig wrote:
17 Aug 2018

As for folks that "feel" binaural beats work, I can't argue with that. But I've never heard anyone point to tests that prove it works, just like with the 432 Hz 'craze'.
As with most 'health' interventions it may be hard to prove that something works, but as my rapid review show, there has been randomized controlled trials showing significant effects on heart rate variability, heart rate and QEEG in response to binaural beat stimulation, making it an interesting case for future research.

minilog

17 Aug 2018

I don't know about binaural beats but I've been on a kick lately of playing techno beats through my monitors while sleeping.

Aosta

18 Aug 2018

selig wrote:
17 Aug 2018
simple, use a minor chord for sad, major chord for happy, done!
Kind of like this? ;)

Tend the flame

• Information