No one mixes like this anymore

This forum is for anything not Reason related, if you just want to talk about other stuff. Please keep it friendly!
Marco Raaphorst

27 Jul 2018

Stuff today is so extremely balanced which such extreme deep lowend.

Cool but I am missing rawness many times.

No one mixes like this anymore. Modern mix engineers would say this sounds wrong. What do they know?

Those handclaps are loud. Drums panned to the right (love that!), a hell of a swing. And SUPER hit back in the day. Superb song, superb playing, fokking great sound also.

Eat that :D

Ostermilk

27 Jul 2018

Marco Raaphorst wrote:
27 Jul 2018
Stuff today is so extremely balanced which such extreme deep lowend.

Cool but I am missing rawness many times.

No one mixes like this anymore. Modern mix engineers would say this sounds wrong. What do they know?

Those handclaps are loud. Drums panned to the right (love that!), a hell of a swing. And SUPER hit back in the day. Superb song, superb playing, fokking great sound also.

Eat that :D
Congas/percussion panned right, drums are central except for some snare accents..

'Tis a lovely sound however.

I don't know if anyone would say it sound wrong though, it's just that reproduction systems had a shorter frequency range at that time so working on the extreme lows and highs to the extent we do now would have been a waste of time.

It does serve to remind us though that much of the worthwhile 'action' occurs in the mid range anyhow.

TritoneAddiction
Competition Winner

27 Jul 2018

I took a similar approach when I wrote my Chip64 EP.

Drums panned hard left and right. Some synth lines also. High pass filter on the bass to make it more midrangy, less modern.

I also put an Audiomatic at the end of my master bus, 100% wet "tape" setting. Made a huge difference. It sounded more like it came off an old big TV, which felt very appropriate for this project :D

Scoobyman II

01 Aug 2018

I love listening to old stuff. I only listen to modern electric dance music in my running mix. If I put an older song in the mix I can hurt my ears when the new stuff comes up. Everything is mastered so loud these days.

mcatalao
Competition Winner

02 Aug 2018

As regards to panning... Thank God nobody mixes like that anymore. They mixed like this because they had 4 track recorders, and this was "better" (as in different) than mono.

• Information