What's your favorite food?

This forum is for anything not Reason related, if you just want to talk about other stuff. Please keep it friendly!
splangie

Post 27 Aug 2018

RobC wrote:
25 Aug 2018
Personally, I'm disappointed that in total, I didn't reach 300 tomato plants. Dx But next year Imma do it!!! : )
Btw, under a simple foil green house, it's said that tomatoes can extend until the start of winter. Depends on the area though, the climate.
Holie shiite. I was proud the first year I got 300 tomatoes from 4 plants. 300 tomatoe plants is way outside my comfort zone and garden size. I normally stick with medium and large varieties like Lemon Boys, Beefsteak, Celebrities, Brandywine and have had good luck with a few hierloom varieties, particualry the Cherokee and a couple of the Russians. I have a tendency to grow the same varieties once I am confident with it.

A big advantage with tomatoes that mature yellow and green is that the birds pretty much leave them alone. They are waiting for them to turn red. I normally have to pick the red tomatoes a few days before they are fully ripe (which does not affect taste) so the birds won't touch them. But the yellow and green tomatoes can practically rot on the vine and the birds won't think they are ready because they haven't turned red. They might figure it out one year but they haven't yet and I have been growing lemon boys in the same place for 10 years.
Reason 12.7.1xx73391 beta

RobC

Post 28 Aug 2018

splangie wrote:
27 Aug 2018
RobC wrote:
25 Aug 2018
Personally, I'm disappointed that in total, I didn't reach 300 tomato plants. Dx But next year Imma do it!!! : )
Btw, under a simple foil green house, it's said that tomatoes can extend until the start of winter. Depends on the area though, the climate.
Holie shiite. I was proud the first year I got 300 tomatoes from 4 plants. 300 tomatoe plants is way outside my comfort zone and garden size. I normally stick with medium and large varieties like Lemon Boys, Beefsteak, Celebrities, Brandywine and have had good luck with a few hierloom varieties, particualry the Cherokee and a couple of the Russians. I have a tendency to grow the same varieties once I am confident with it.

A big advantage with tomatoes that mature yellow and green is that the birds pretty much leave them alone. They are waiting for them to turn red. I normally have to pick the red tomatoes a few days before they are fully ripe (which does not affect taste) so the birds won't touch them. But the yellow and green tomatoes can practically rot on the vine and the birds won't think they are ready because they haven't turned red. They might figure it out one year but they haven't yet and I have been growing lemon boys in the same place for 10 years.
You 'can' be proud of that! Sadly, what mine produce, isn't exactly satisfying, compared to how much work they demand, but the ground isn't the best here and needs better and more soil. Yet I added 2 bags of cow shit xD as well as fluid soil. That said, at least stocked with tomatoes now, so I don't complain. I pretty much worked on them all summer - but the more experience!
Some more advanced tomato-nuts get some special stuff that they inject into the vines, giving them lots and huge tomatoes.
Unless they get over-dosed and ripened under neon lights, most tomatoes should be perfect, even with a bit of more modern help. But definitely not the abusively pushed stuff for supermarkets. No wonder there are people that hate tomatoes - I can't eat supermarket tomatoes either.

But yeah, I agree on the earlier collection - the red ones actually tend to have a slight beginning of rotting aroma to them, which I don't fancy. xD But too orange isn't good either when eaten raw, cause... I recently regret that. xD

These are: Cherry, Mano, Roma, Marmande - seeds imported from Spain, then Hungarian K3, as well as the huge, pink heart tomato - very juicy and meaty, and some cocktail tomatoes, etc.

Some are juicy, others sour, sweet, thick; so they mix well for a puree.

RobC

Post 31 Aug 2018

20180831_163004.jpg
Forget that kitchen sink...
...and last week's harvest seems like a joke now.

(Holy shiz, the summer-end tomatoes are really good, though!)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Zac

Post 31 Aug 2018

That's a bumper harvest! My mum used to pour the blood from defrosted meat joints into the soil of her tomato plants... I've no idea myself if or why that might be a good thing?

splangie

Post 31 Aug 2018

Zac wrote:
31 Aug 2018
That's a bumper harvest! My mum used to pour the blood from defrosted meat joints into the soil of her tomato plants... I've no idea myself if or why that might be a good thing?
Its like blood meal only not as concentrated or dried. It is a good quick nitrogen boost and you don't have to worry near as much about over doing it.
Reason 12.7.1xx73391 beta

Zac

Post 01 Sep 2018

splangie wrote:
31 Aug 2018
Zac wrote:
31 Aug 2018
Its like blood meal only not as concentrated or dried. It is a good quick nitrogen boost and you don't have to worry near as much about over doing it.
Blood meal desirability it was then. Nothing went to waste.

LeeGood
Banned user

Post 30 Nov 2018

A selection of top grade cannabis to be smoked or vaporized during and after dinner.
Food and cannabis sound great to me, but I never tried vaping and eating together :shock:
As for favorite foods, I love chinese chicken, sushi and pasta, nothing special.

• Information