What's your favorite food?

This forum is for anything not Reason related, if you just want to talk about other stuff. Please keep it friendly!
RobC
Posts: 941
Joined: 10 Mar 2018

Post 25 Aug 2018

plaamook wrote:
24 Aug 2018
RobC wrote:
24 Aug 2018


True, I usually got quite bummed when somebody got the wrong pasta, instead of what I asked for. Especially if people say "it's all the same, just different shape". It's not "just" - and that's the bad keyword.
Yeah, I live in England and I've spent the past 18 years trying to explain the subtleties of pasta shape, pointing out that they didn't go to the trouble of inventing so many for no reason.
Sometimes I feel like I'm trying to explain colour to deer but never mind. It's a process...

Interestingly I'm told that the chinese have a very deep apreciation for the texture of food. That's a pretty good way to look at pasta I think. Texture.
Look at the bright side - if it doesn't matter to others, at least you always can get to choose which you like.
Yeah, it's not just about taste and smell of food.

RobC
Posts: 941
Joined: 10 Mar 2018

Post 25 Aug 2018

splangie wrote:
24 Aug 2018
RobC wrote:
23 Aug 2018


Interesting; I'm dedicated to growing tomatoes at the moment, and while the green house idea does interest me, too, I'm a bit worried about the taste and quality, cause around winter, they wouldn't get much sun. That said, I bet it would be still better than what surprising things they sometimes sell on the market. Dunno if a green house would be easy to maintain financially. Like how much heating it might need, mostly.
I hear you. After you grow your own tomatoes it is hard to stomach almost anything else. I mentioned a big greenhouse, but I was big as in about 10'x10'. It will probably just extend the growing season a month or two for us and let us get everything started outside in the spring with better frost and late freeze protection. Trying the heat the whole thing January thru February using electricity or gas would probably be really expensive. Solar could do it but the initial cost is high. There is also the wood stove option which I am considering. Christmas tomatoes. Yeah.
It can be a bit tough, though. xD Last time I made a 100% tomato soup which got pretty heavy. People who want to lose weight, should try that.
A cheap solution is made out of foil. Well, cheaper compared to ones made out of glass. But it's mostly only good against lighter type frost protection to some extent. Great for extending the growth, that's for sure. For winter, even what we put in the freezer is wonderful compared to stuff on the market. A plus side to the foil ones is that it's easier to take off, as tomatoes don't like to cook in there in the extreme heat. But the foil-based green houses obviously need the hassle of getting and building new ones, cause materials decay - mostly the foil - after a few years.
That said, since there's little sun in the winter, question is if it's worth the hassle. We just have to save some for winter and we're good IMO.

Personally, I'm disappointed that in total, I didn't reach 300 tomato plants. Dx But next year Imma do it!!! : )
Btw, under a simple foil green house, it's said that tomatoes can extend until the start of winter. Depends on the area though, the climate.

RobC
Posts: 941
Joined: 10 Mar 2018

Post 25 Aug 2018

Creativemind wrote:
24 Aug 2018
RobC wrote:
22 Jun 2018
I'd go with spaghetti bolognese. I just can't get tired of it. I eat it like a pig. I go crazy. I slurp and stuff it in, sometimes even choking on it.
Good topic for the kitchen but yeah Pasta Bolognese is good. I say pasta as spaghetti is annoying (for me anyway) to eat and messy whereas pasta isn't.

I though, would probably say curry is my favourite food. Lamb Rogan Josh or a Chicken Dopiaza or Chicken Jalfrezi.

I had a KFC for the first time in about 3yrs the other day, forgot how damn good there chicken pieces were. I had 3 and god, I wanted another 3. Those chicken pieces with some chips / fries are very tasty indeed.
Exactly, couldn't resist! xD
Now, sometimes I go nuts though and am like "I didn't make the spaghetti, and don't know what's really in it, so I better bake pizza with my own bolognese sauce on my dough." But the spaghetti addiction is strong in me. Last time I got 4 packs. Didn't last two days, haha. That's 2 Kg spaghetti total.

I love fries, too but I make those myself as well from home grown potatoes. Though I don't take credit for them, as I didn't work much on them. Just took all the bugs off 1 time. Huh, it was 100% bio then I think. Unlike my tomatoes, though they demanded protection, cause there was a huge bug and worm attack, as well as rapidly spreading sick leaves. That said, the tomato vegetables/"fruits" got none, so they are still more healthy than the market stuff.
There's the joke "Bio is what they spray at night when nobody sees it." xD

RobC
Posts: 941
Joined: 10 Mar 2018

Post 25 Aug 2018

motuscott wrote:
24 Aug 2018
How can one talk tomato w/o mentioning gazpacho?
Surely this is the way the little baby Jesus wanted us to enjoy them.
I like to throw in a jalapeño
I add some paprika to the tomato soup, but that's as far as I like to go with that one. Of course with some spices and seasoning herbs. With a bit of flour, fried on oil mixed to it - though with the 100% tomato soup, it got close to becoming a sauce. Was missing some pasta for soup, mostly the tiny "shell" shaped. Though then it needs some water or broth added so it won't be too thick.

User avatar
plaamook
Posts: 706
Joined: 22 Jan 2015
Location: probably underwater

Post 25 Aug 2018

RobC wrote:
25 Aug 2018
plaamook wrote:
24 Aug 2018


Yeah, I live in England and I've spent the past 18 years trying to explain the subtleties of pasta shape, pointing out that they didn't go to the trouble of inventing so many for no reason.
Sometimes I feel like I'm trying to explain colour to deer but never mind. It's a process...

Interestingly I'm told that the chinese have a very deep apreciation for the texture of food. That's a pretty good way to look at pasta I think. Texture.
Look at the bright side - if it doesn't matter to others, at least you always can get to choose which you like.
Yeah, it's not just about taste and smell of food.
Fair point

RobC
Posts: 941
Joined: 10 Mar 2018

Post 25 Aug 2018

20180825_183433.jpg
Shiz' getting serious...
If the freezer fails now...
...and the kitchen sink decided to come out of the wall xD might be a bit heavy.
...and yes, there's a goddamn worm! Dx

There's a game for you: spot the goddamn worm!

These are all kinds...
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

User avatar
aeox
Posts: 1844
Joined: 23 Feb 2017
Location: Oregon

Post 25 Aug 2018

RobC wrote:
25 Aug 2018
20180825_183433.jpg

Shiz' getting serious...
If the freezer fails now...
...and the kitchen sink decided to come out of the wall xD might be a bit heavy.
...and yes, there's a goddamn worm! Dx

There's a game for you: spot the goddamn worm!

These are all kinds...
:lol: I grew like 10 tomatos this year
whoahh

Last edited by aeox on 24 May 2018, edited too many times in total.

RobC
Posts: 941
Joined: 10 Mar 2018

Post 25 Aug 2018

aeox wrote:
25 Aug 2018
RobC wrote:
25 Aug 2018
20180825_183433.jpg

Shiz' getting serious...
If the freezer fails now...
...and the kitchen sink decided to come out of the wall xD might be a bit heavy.
...and yes, there's a goddamn worm! Dx

There's a game for you: spot the goddamn worm!

These are all kinds...
:lol: I grew like 10 tomatos this year
That's still awesome! : )
I barely raised, heck didn't even reach 300 tomato plants, and for that, I'm still dissatisfied with the amount. xD Even though some might or might not go to waste. Like I have a clue what I want to achieve... xD

User avatar
aeox
Posts: 1844
Joined: 23 Feb 2017
Location: Oregon

Post 25 Aug 2018

RobC wrote:
25 Aug 2018
aeox wrote:
25 Aug 2018


:lol: I grew like 10 tomatos this year
That's still awesome! : )
I barely raised, heck didn't even reach 300 tomato plants, and for that, I'm still dissatisfied with the amount. xD Even though some might or might not go to waste. Like I have a clue what I want to achieve... xD
Make a bunch of canned tomatoes and sell them!
whoahh

Last edited by aeox on 24 May 2018, edited too many times in total.

RobC
Posts: 941
Joined: 10 Mar 2018

Post 25 Aug 2018

aeox wrote:
25 Aug 2018
RobC wrote:
25 Aug 2018


That's still awesome! : )
I barely raised, heck didn't even reach 300 tomato plants, and for that, I'm still dissatisfied with the amount. xD Even though some might or might not go to waste. Like I have a clue what I want to achieve... xD
Make a bunch of canned tomatoes and sell them!
I'd have to register a company even for that here. xD Which would cost more than generate profit.

User avatar
motuscott
Posts: 1188
Joined: 16 Jan 2015
Location: the new york

Post 25 Aug 2018

Dang Rob!
Here come the Mata Samiches, as we called them during my southern childhood.
Sometimes a cigar is just a synth that's on fire

User avatar
motuscott
Posts: 1188
Joined: 16 Jan 2015
Location: the new york

Post 25 Aug 2018

Middle of left side, center height
Sometimes a cigar is just a synth that's on fire

User avatar
plaamook
Posts: 706
Joined: 22 Jan 2015
Location: probably underwater

Post 26 Aug 2018

aeox wrote:
25 Aug 2018
RobC wrote:
25 Aug 2018


That's still awesome! : )
I barely raised, heck didn't even reach 300 tomato plants, and for that, I'm still dissatisfied with the amount. xD Even though some might or might not go to waste. Like I have a clue what I want to achieve... xD
Make a bunch of canned tomatoes and sell them!
When I was a kid my grampa used to grow most of whay we ate. Grew like 5 different types of tomatoes and basil grew wild there. I just thought that was what tomato plants smelled like cause you would crush it all going out to pick things! For a week every year he and my mum would make pasata and canned tomatoes that would last through the winter and beyond. Can still remember the smell of em cooking. For days and days. It was a bit much at the time but I really miss it now.

User avatar
motuscott
Posts: 1188
Joined: 16 Jan 2015
Location: the new york

Post 26 Aug 2018

plaamook wrote:
26 Aug 2018
aeox wrote:
25 Aug 2018


Make a bunch of canned tomatoes and sell them!
When I was a kid my grampa used to grow most of whay we ate. Grew like 5 different types of tomatoes and basil grew wild there. I just thought that was what tomato plants smelled like cause you would crush it all going out to pick things! For a week every year he and my mum would make pasata and canned tomatoes that would last through the winter and beyond. Can still remember the smell of em cooking. For days and days. It was a bit much at the time but I really miss it now.
Good times
Sometimes a cigar is just a synth that's on fire

User avatar
dvdrtldg
Posts: 1070
Joined: 17 Jan 2015

Post 26 Aug 2018

Creativemind wrote:
24 Aug 2018
I had a KFC for the first time in about 3yrs the other day, forgot how damn good there chicken pieces were. I had 3 and god, I wanted another 3. Those chicken pieces with some chips / fries are very tasty indeed.
I can't do KFC but I'll happily go for McDonald's or Burger King from time to time. Going on a plane trip tomorrow, and looking forward to the burger with which I always reward myself for tolerating the hell of the airport

User avatar
minilog
Posts: 82
Joined: 07 Aug 2018
Location: California

Post 26 Aug 2018

4filegate wrote:
24 Aug 2018
Everything taste fine when it's made of chocolate.
Chocolate panties? I'd hate to leave the bedroom for a glass of milk. It might kill the vibe.

User avatar
minilog
Posts: 82
Joined: 07 Aug 2018
Location: California

Post 27 Aug 2018

Creativemind wrote:
24 Aug 2018
I had a KFC for the first time in about 3yrs the other day, forgot how damn good there chicken pieces were. I had 3 and god, I wanted another 3. Those chicken pieces with some chips / fries are very tasty indeed.
I didn't know KFC buffets existed here in the states until I found myself wandering around drunk in a small town in Arkansas.

User avatar
minilog
Posts: 82
Joined: 07 Aug 2018
Location: California

Post 27 Aug 2018

Southern California style Mexican food is my latest craze. Tacos, burritos, tostadas, rice, beans, salsas - most of what's on the menu. A good salsa bar could set one place above others though in my opinion.

RobC
Posts: 941
Joined: 10 Mar 2018

Post 27 Aug 2018

motuscott wrote:
25 Aug 2018
Middle of left side, center height
Definitely time for soup, spaghetti, sandwiches, salad, as well as fried together with eggs.
Plus yesterday was all about slice the tiny green middle part out of the tomato, then in half or four, and into the pot with it. Cooked quite thick puree, but boy did it spit the hot stuff up on my hands quite a few times. And at the end of the day, after all the cooking, even the largest pot (around 15 L or so) was still filled to the max, so that will cook all day today. Of course, there was and will be the task of squeezing it through the filterer, so the outer layer gets separated. Normally I leave almost everything in a lighter sauce, where the juice isn't boiled away, but when it comes to a thick sauce, there would be too much to cough and spit out. xD

Dunno, do people complain about the outer layer (no clue what's it called in english, too lazy to google translate, yet look how much I already typed xD), and when seeds are in it? As far as I know, they are healthy to eat. Though canned stuff never has either - I wonder if they even have tomatoes in them. xD

Also, you found the worm! It was sentenced to death with immediate execution for murdering multiple tomatoes. It's heartbreaking to see when they ruin half a dozen tomatoes. ) :
20180825_183623.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

RobC
Posts: 941
Joined: 10 Mar 2018

Post 27 Aug 2018

plaamook wrote:
26 Aug 2018
aeox wrote:
25 Aug 2018


Make a bunch of canned tomatoes and sell them!
When I was a kid my grampa used to grow most of whay we ate. Grew like 5 different types of tomatoes and basil grew wild there. I just thought that was what tomato plants smelled like cause you would crush it all going out to pick things! For a week every year he and my mum would make pasata and canned tomatoes that would last through the winter and beyond. Can still remember the smell of em cooking. For days and days. It was a bit much at the time but I really miss it now.
You mean like putting up multiple batches to cook, or did you use some giga pot that cooked for days slowly?
Also, I wish basil would grow like weed here. That would be so awesome!

RobC
Posts: 941
Joined: 10 Mar 2018

Post 27 Aug 2018

minilog wrote:
27 Aug 2018
Southern California style Mexican food is my latest craze. Tacos, burritos, tostadas, rice, beans, salsas - most of what's on the menu. A good salsa bar could set one place above others though in my opinion.
I like to give spaghetti sauce that hint of mexican by adding corn; which reminds me, I really should do some good mexican chili-bean, which is pretty close to a spaghetti sauce, only with less tomatoes and beans mixed instead of pasta.

RobC
Posts: 941
Joined: 10 Mar 2018

Post 27 Aug 2018

minilog wrote:
26 Aug 2018
4filegate wrote:
24 Aug 2018
Everything taste fine when it's made of chocolate.
Chocolate panties? I'd hate to leave the bedroom for a glass of milk. It might kill the vibe.
Now let me Not make a joke about that bedroom 'milk'... xD #IMImmatureForEver

User avatar
Creativemind
Posts: 2444
Joined: 17 Jan 2015
Location: Stoke-On-Trent, England, UK

Post 27 Aug 2018

minilog wrote:
27 Aug 2018
Creativemind wrote:
24 Aug 2018
I had a KFC for the first time in about 3yrs the other day, forgot how damn good there chicken pieces were. I had 3 and god, I wanted another 3. Those chicken pieces with some chips / fries are very tasty indeed.
I didn't know KFC buffets existed here in the states until I found myself wandering around drunk in a small town in Arkansas.
Yeah I saw a video of this recently, on Facebook. This to me is insane, I'd have had 5 / 6 pieces of chicken that day if I could. I don't like that idea myself. It's always better to have what you order and be done.

There has been studies done on things of this nature. When there's more to eat, you will inevitably eat more.
:reason:

Reason 10.2

User avatar
plaamook
Posts: 706
Joined: 22 Jan 2015
Location: probably underwater

Post 27 Aug 2018

RobC wrote:
27 Aug 2018
plaamook wrote:
26 Aug 2018


When I was a kid my grampa used to grow most of whay we ate. Grew like 5 different types of tomatoes and basil grew wild there. I just thought that was what tomato plants smelled like cause you would crush it all going out to pick things! For a week every year he and my mum would make pasata and canned tomatoes that would last through the winter and beyond. Can still remember the smell of em cooking. For days and days. It was a bit much at the time but I really miss it now.
You mean like putting up multiple batches to cook, or did you use some giga pot that cooked for days slowly?
Also, I wish basil would grow like weed here. That would be so awesome!
Multiple batches

The_Grass
Posts: 23
Joined: 04 Sep 2016

Post 27 Aug 2018

That is What we call Postroo that's boekweit flower with grease and sjerp ( liquid sugar ) , it look's like wet cement, jummie jummie 😁

  • Information
  • Who is online

    Users browsing this forum: CommonCrawl [Bot] and 0 guests