What's your favorite food?

This forum is for anything not Reason related, if you just want to talk about other stuff. Please keep it friendly!
aeox
Competition Winner

13 Jul 2018

Probably a sandwich with a lot of vegetables and spicy mustard.

dhruan

13 Jul 2018

tibah wrote:
22 Jun 2018

THIS + whatever ;)
That sauce is aaaaawesoooooome! Too bad I can't seem to find it in stores here in Finland that much anymore. Have to resort to locally available Naga Jolokia sauces (which are awesomesauce too). #sadpanda #maybenotsosadpanda

Favourite foods? Mostly vegan fare (99% of the time) but I do occasionally splurge on fish & seafood. But yeah... so many to choose from. I love cooking and eating all kinds of foods (Thai, Japanese, Nepalese and Nordic/Finnish preferred). If I had to come up with the proverbial "last meal" it would be something along the lines of:

- GTs made of Napue gin and Fever Tree Mediterranean Tonic as aperitifs.
- Thai flat noodle dish with prawns and loads of garlic, fresh green thai chilies, thai & holy basil (Prik nampla on the side), something that would have proper spiciness, bite and "Wok hee".
- Charcoal grilled atlantic lobster (3 pounds min.)
- A selection of oysters, Tsarskaya preferred (24 pcs min.)
- 2x Beyond Meat/Impossible Foods vegan cheese burger with pickles on the side (charcoal grilled patties)
- Vegan lasagna with fresh truffles, spinach and walnuts
- Charcoal grilled swordfish and salmon steaks & scallops with wilted spinach, mashed potatoes and steamed green peas
- Freshly smoked baltic herring & pike perch with new potatoes, dill and freshly pickled cucumber
- A selection of sashimi and sushi freshly crafted by a sushi master using seasons first japanese rice and ingredients
- Fresh Udon noodles with dashi broth, topped with seadfood
- Traditional Finnish clear salmon soup with finnish rye bread
- Salt cured salmon and whitefish with finnish rye bread
- A selection of caviar: beluga & vendace (Finnish)
- Top sirloin reindeer steak (400g min.) done rare and cooked on charcoal grill with a side of grilled root vegetables, slices of garlic gherkins and lingonberry jam (game is the rare exception to the rule of not eating meat, this provided I know where the meat came from and who killed it and how > can be done in Finland).
- Green salads, selection (including Finnish style green cabbage salad)
- Miniature "Hors d'Ouvres" style sandwiches topped with hummus, sliced cucumber, freshly squeezed lemon juice, dried parsley and a sprinkling of salt
- Freshly baked Karelian pies with "egg butter"
- Two bottles of Ruinart Blanc des Blancs champagne (at around 70-80€ a pop it is not the most expensive but boy do I love that stuff...)
- A few 6-packs of lager, local produce preferred (think of Fat Lizard Brewery).
- A selection of top grade cannabis to be smoked or vaporized during and after dinner.

I think that should cover it... exuberant enough and leaning heavily on fish & seafood. Plenty of other stuff I could add though... but quite enough there for me to die as a happy man gorging through all of that :D
soundcloud.com/armsgrade

RobC

13 Jul 2018

tibah wrote:
22 Jun 2018

THIS + whatever ;)
I thought that was whiskey. My bad. xD

tibah

14 Jul 2018

dhruan wrote:
13 Jul 2018
That sauce is aaaaawesoooooome! Too bad I can't seem to find it in stores here in Finland that much anymore. Have to resort to locally available Naga Jolokia sauces (which are awesomesauce too). #sadpanda #maybenotsosadpanda
They used to have it at a local store, but nowadays I get it even from Amazon! :roll: :lol: :mrgreen:

dvdrtldg

17 Aug 2018

Couldn't possibly pick one thing to call my favourite, but whatever it is, it's Japanese

sublunar

17 Aug 2018

Food: Steak
Beer: Franziskaner Heffe Weise
Caffeinated beverage: Any tea
Cereal: Cocoa Pebbles
Other: Punani

Not necessarily in that order.

selig
RE Developer

17 Aug 2018

dhruan wrote:
13 Jul 2018

Favourite foods? Mostly vegan fare (99% of the time) but I do occasionally splurge on fish & seafood. But yeah... so many to choose from. I love cooking and eating all kinds of foods (Thai, Japanese, Nepalese and Nordic/Finnish preferred). If I had to come up with the proverbial "last meal" it would be something along the lines of:

- GTs made of Napue gin and Fever Tree Mediterranean Tonic as aperitifs.
- Thai flat noodle dish with prawns and loads of garlic, fresh green thai chilies, thai & holy basil (Prik nampla on the side), something that would have proper spiciness, bite and "Wok hee".
- Charcoal grilled atlantic lobster (3 pounds min.)
- A selection of oysters, Tsarskaya preferred (24 pcs min.)
- 2x Beyond Meat/Impossible Foods vegan cheese burger with pickles on the side (charcoal grilled patties)
- Vegan lasagna with fresh truffles, spinach and walnuts
- Charcoal grilled swordfish and salmon steaks & scallops with wilted spinach, mashed potatoes and steamed green peas
- Freshly smoked baltic herring & pike perch with new potatoes, dill and freshly pickled cucumber
- A selection of sashimi and sushi freshly crafted by a sushi master using seasons first japanese rice and ingredients
- Fresh Udon noodles with dashi broth, topped with seadfood
- Traditional Finnish clear salmon soup with finnish rye bread
- Salt cured salmon and whitefish with finnish rye bread
- A selection of caviar: beluga & vendace (Finnish)
- Top sirloin reindeer steak (400g min.) done rare and cooked on charcoal grill with a side of grilled root vegetables, slices of garlic gherkins and lingonberry jam (game is the rare exception to the rule of not eating meat, this provided I know where the meat came from and who killed it and how > can be done in Finland).
- Green salads, selection (including Finnish style green cabbage salad)
- Miniature "Hors d'Ouvres" style sandwiches topped with hummus, sliced cucumber, freshly squeezed lemon juice, dried parsley and a sprinkling of salt
- Freshly baked Karelian pies with "egg butter"
- Two bottles of Ruinart Blanc des Blancs champagne (at around 70-80€ a pop it is not the most expensive but boy do I love that stuff...)
- A few 6-packs of lager, local produce preferred (think of Fat Lizard Brewery).
- A selection of top grade cannabis to be smoked or vaporized during and after dinner.

I think that should cover it... exuberant enough and leaning heavily on fish & seafood. Plenty of other stuff I could add though... but quite enough there for me to die as a happy man gorging through all of that :D
Was just in Finland for a few weeks and recognize some of what you've mentioned - yum! Never got to try reindeer steak, but loved the salmon (some of the best I've ever had), Karelian pies (was in the Karelian region for much of my trip), and the berries were some of the sweetest I've ever tasted in my life!

The heat was impressive too…
Selig Audio, LLC

gullum

18 Aug 2018

My own Adobong Manok sa Gata (Coconut Milk Chicken Adobo) since visiting the Philippines last year and again this year I started to cook a lot of Filipino food but Adobong Manok sa Gata kicks everything else I have ever tried

Zac

18 Aug 2018

I had a hot hog roast pork sandwich today with fresh apple sauce. It blew my mind. Just a little bit of crackling. But enough. Bliss.

dhruan

20 Aug 2018

selig wrote:
17 Aug 2018
Was just in Finland for a few weeks...
...The heat was impressive too…
Cool! You couldn't have picked a better time for a visit, weather this summer has been both incredible and also a total pain in the ass due to most places not having proper AC. But anyway, seems that you enjoyed your time here, good to hear that.

Karelian pies are great and easy to make too. I am quite used to baking vegan versions of them when in the US (my fiancée is from CT/NYC). She has this Finnish American cookbook from the 50s written by a Finnish immigrant. The recipes there are as authentic as they can get and also somewhat different from the ones today. For example, the pies made using the recipe there are waaaay bigger than the ones you get from the market or made with a modern recipe. :)
soundcloud.com/armsgrade

michael.jaye

20 Aug 2018

Swiss Cheese fondue, Takoyaki, Asahi Super Dry beer, dry Sake.

Although I could eat pizza or instant Mi Gorang every day and not get bored.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RobC

22 Aug 2018

dvdrtldg wrote:
17 Aug 2018
Couldn't possibly pick one thing to call my favourite, but whatever it is, it's Japanese
I soooo want to try a good ramen!

...but getting that pasta is near impossible here! D:
That said, I loved stuffing in spaghetti with chicken soup, but yeah, I'd prefer some thinner pasta. We do have very thin soup pasta here, but that's not thick enough to be ramen. xD

RobC

22 Aug 2018

selig wrote:
17 Aug 2018
The heat was impressive too…
I see, Santa let'em go on holiday. xD
While I like animals, I wouldn't bath together with them, though...

RobC

22 Aug 2018

It's all tomatoes for me, cause I worked my ass off with my favorite vegetable this summer.
Usually, I had salads (tomatoes, sour cream, salt, pepper, oregano, basil, garlic; plus bread) on a daily basis. But also tomato soup; tomato sauce with meat balls; as well as tomatoes fried with eggs... tomato everything!

First real harvest was a few days ago, and filled the kitchen sink up to the max, and it's a rather big one. I got all kinds of tomatoes.

splangie

22 Aug 2018

I like fish and chips, onions, rice, gravy, thin pork chops with bone, SOS, BBQ, tomatoes, corn and carrots all coated with more gravy (never brown except with pot roast or turkey and never from a packet). We grow alot of tomatoes, cucumbers, peppers and herbs each year plus lettuce, carrots and radishes some years. If we get the big green house we will be growing it all most of the year. I don't eat organs generally but I will eat fried chicken livers and long as they are fresh. I love to cook. My wife is from Baton Rouge and I lived in New Orleans so etouffee, jambalaya and gumbo all happen regulary at our house. I much prefer a really dark roux. Blonde roux sucks but packaged roux is an absolute heresy. I can tolerate most foods but I normally have a small variety by choice, just the things I really like.

Who thinks simply cooking a hamburger on a grill outside is BBQing?

RobC

23 Aug 2018

splangie wrote:
22 Aug 2018
I like fish and chips, onions, rice, gravy, thin pork chops with bone, SOS, BBQ, tomatoes, corn and carrots all coated with more gravy (never brown except with pot roast or turkey and never from a packet). We grow alot of tomatoes, cucumbers, peppers and herbs each year plus lettuce, carrots and radishes some years. If we get the big green house we will be growing it all most of the year. I don't eat organs generally but I will eat fried chicken livers and long as they are fresh. I love to cook. My wife is from Baton Rouge and I lived in New Orleans so etouffee, jambalaya and gumbo all happen regulary at our house. I much prefer a really dark roux. Blonde roux sucks but packaged roux is an absolute heresy. I can tolerate most foods but I normally have a small variety by choice, just the things I really like.

Interesting; I'm dedicated to growing tomatoes at the moment, and while the green house idea does interest me, too, I'm a bit worried about the taste and quality, cause around winter, they wouldn't get much sun. That said, I bet it would be still better than what surprising things they sometimes sell on the market. Dunno if a green house would be easy to maintain financially. Like how much heating it might need, mostly.

plaamook

23 Aug 2018

Pasta and beans (and all the variation that implies)
I come from Italian peasants so I kind of have no choice on this one.
Perpetual Reason 12 Beta Tester :reason:

You can check out my music here.
https://m.soundcloud.com/ericholmofficial
Or here.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC73uZZ ... 8jqUubzsQg

4filegate

24 Aug 2018

Everything taste fine when it's made of chocolate.

RobC

24 Aug 2018

plaamook wrote:
23 Aug 2018
Can't ever go wrong with spaghetti!

plaamook

24 Aug 2018

RobC wrote:
24 Aug 2018
plaamook wrote:
23 Aug 2018
You sort of can. Shape is important. Pasta n beans is like stew. You use small pasta.
But basically I agree

Or here.

RobC

24 Aug 2018

plaamook wrote:
24 Aug 2018
RobC wrote:
24 Aug 2018

You sort of can. Shape is important. Pasta n beans is like stew. You use small pasta.
But basically I agree
True, I usually got quite bummed when somebody got the wrong pasta, instead of what I asked for. Especially if people say "it's all the same, just different shape". It's not "just" - and that's the bad keyword.

plaamook

24 Aug 2018

RobC wrote:
24 Aug 2018
plaamook wrote:
24 Aug 2018

But basically I agree
True, I usually got quite bummed when somebody got the wrong pasta, instead of what I asked for. Especially if people say "it's all the same, just different shape". It's not "just" - and that's the bad keyword.
Yeah, I live in England and I've spent the past 18 years trying to explain the subtleties of pasta shape, pointing out that they didn't go to the trouble of inventing so many for no reason.
Sometimes I feel like I'm trying to explain colour to deer but never mind. It's a process...

Interestingly I'm told that the chinese have a very deep apreciation for the texture of food. That's a pretty good way to look at pasta I think. Texture.

Or here.

splangie

24 Aug 2018

RobC wrote:
23 Aug 2018
splangie wrote:
22 Aug 2018

Interesting; I'm dedicated to growing tomatoes at the moment, and while the green house idea does interest me, too, I'm a bit worried about the taste and quality, cause around winter, they wouldn't get much sun. That said, I bet it would be still better than what surprising things they sometimes sell on the market. Dunno if a green house would be easy to maintain financially. Like how much heating it might need, mostly.
I hear you. After you grow your own tomatoes it is hard to stomach almost anything else. I mentioned a big greenhouse, but I was big as in about 10'x10'. It will probably just extend the growing season a month or two for us and let us get everything started outside in the spring with better frost and late freeze protection. Trying the heat the whole thing January thru February using electricity or gas would probably be really expensive. Solar could do it but the initial cost is high. There is also the wood stove option which I am considering. Christmas tomatoes. Yeah.

Creativemind

24 Aug 2018

RobC wrote:
22 Jun 2018
I'd go with spaghetti bolognese. I just can't get tired of it. I eat it like a pig. I go crazy. I slurp and stuff it in, sometimes even choking on it.
Good topic for the kitchen but yeah Pasta Bolognese is good. I say pasta as spaghetti is annoying (for me anyway) to eat and messy whereas pasta isn't.

I though, would probably say curry is my favourite food. Lamb Rogan Josh or a Chicken Dopiaza or Chicken Jalfrezi.

I had a KFC for the first time in about 3yrs the other day, forgot how damn good there chicken pieces were. I had 3 and god, I wanted another 3. Those chicken pieces with some chips / fries are very tasty indeed.
:reason:

Reason Studio's 11.3 / Cockos Reaper 6.82 / Cakewalk By Bandlab / Orion 8.6
http://soundcloud.com/creativemind75/iv ... soul-mix-3

motuscott

24 Aug 2018

How can one talk tomato w/o mentioning gazpacho?
Surely this is the way the little baby Jesus wanted us to enjoy them.
I like to throw in a jalapeño
Who’s using the royal plural now baby? 🧂

• Information