Softphonics are done???!!

This forum is for anything not Reason related, if you just want to talk about other stuff. Please keep it friendly!
TritoneAddiction
Competition Winner

25 May 2018

esselfortium wrote:
25 May 2018
TritoneAddiction wrote:
25 May 2018
I do wonder why Softphonics AmplifiRe and IRE X2 Twin Convolution Reverb were pulled from the Shop while other products weren't. I mean it's fairly easy to tell if a sampled refill is reused, but aren't these REs different in that regard?
Impulse responses are samples, too. It's probably a safe bet that if he was using stolen samples for all his instrument libraries, the impulse responses he used for the convo reverb and amp cabinets were almost certainly also stolen.
I see. But isn't that hard to find out whether or not an impulse response is stolen? Maybe not. I guess you could just run a sample through the plugins and compare them.
I see Native Instruments has guitar amps/effects too, one of them looks kind of Marshally :lol: Maybe Softphonics got some "inspiration" from them.

Aosta

25 May 2018

jappe wrote:
25 May 2018

Unless NI and Props can make an agreement to keep the device in the store, directing retroactive and future royalties from Props to NI?
Wouldn't they also need Softhonics to release control of the GUI design for that too? It's a cluster F.
Tend the flame

jappe

25 May 2018

Don't know if there's some expropriation clause, but I think it would be in the interest of Softphonics to be helpful in this
I'm just thinking that minimizing the amount of victims is a good thing if it can be done.

Aosta wrote:
25 May 2018
jappe wrote:
25 May 2018

Unless NI and Props can make an agreement to keep the device in the store, directing retroactive and future royalties from Props to NI?
Wouldn't they also need Softhonics to release control of the GUI design for that too? It's a cluster F.

avasopht
Competition Winner

25 May 2018

TritoneAddiction wrote:
25 May 2018
I see. But isn't that hard to find out whether or not an impulse response is stolen? Maybe not. I guess you could just run a sample through the plugins and compare them.
I see Native Instruments has guitar amps/effects too, one of them looks kind of Marshally :lol: Maybe Softphonics got some "inspiration" from them.
Nah, you just pass an impulse into the device and you get back the impulse response right back (well providing you can bypass any distortion).

bxbrkrz

25 May 2018

757365206C6F67696320746F207365656B20616E73776572732075736520726561736F6E20746F2066696E6420776973646F6D20676574206F7574206F6620796F757220636F6D666F7274207A6F6E65206F7220796F757220696E737069726174696F6E2077696C6C206372797374616C6C697A6520666F7265766572

Ostermilk

25 May 2018

I was surprised to see this thread locked earlier. (shortly after Tiker posted 'go make music'.)

I can't think of anything that is more pertinent to a community focused on Reason Talk currently.

I'm sure it was a mistake gladly rectified now.

Iapetus 9

25 May 2018

I never gave Softphonics a second thought, mostly because I think IDT based RE's are stupid when you have the NNXT and things like Kontakt available. Romplers...uggh. That said, I hope this is rectified in a nice manner and that those who did wrong, if any, are taught a lesson that this business is cut throat enough without the den of thieves. YMMV...I'll be making music.
38L > 51D every time.

friday

25 May 2018

avasopht wrote:
25 May 2018
But I guess there's a lesson in it, like, how many people passed off his RE because it wasn't a big name or a 'pro' sound :D :lol:
Interesting view... Haha!

normen

25 May 2018

Lets not forget that there is a chance that in the mind of the perpetrator his actions were legal and okay. It would be a head turner but I have seen worse misunderstandings.

madmacman

25 May 2018

Iapetus 9 wrote:
25 May 2018
I never gave Softphonics a second thought, mostly because I think IDT based RE's are stupid when you have the NNXT and things like Kontakt available.
But this is exactly the issue - the latest IDT's and RE's are just the tip of the iceberg. There are the huge NNXT based orchestra libraries such as EncoRE, EmbouchuRE, timbRE, and so on. :(

chaosroyale

25 May 2018

I contacted Props about this, because I own one of the re-sampled refills. I can't post the entire reply from Props because of their terms of service, but the short version of their reply is:

"We don't do refunds on Refills or Rack Extensions."

I actually noticed something was suspicious as soon as I purchased the refill, but I didn't have any proof, so I quietly decided never to buy anything else from softphonics and did not mention it on the forum. Very recently I put 2 & 2 together that this was the same developer putting out all those dodgy romplers and RE's.

I understand that props have to trust developers, and they cannot be held 100% responsible, but seeing as this was an RE not a VST, I was hoping for a store credit.

Aosta

25 May 2018

chaosroyale wrote:
25 May 2018

I understand that props have to trust developers, and they cannot be held 100% responsible, but seeing as this was an RE not a VST, I was hoping for a store credit.
I'm guessing with that reply props will have some clause of non liability with the developer or at least it sounds like it because they have taken a cut of sales of the softphonics products also.
What if a Softphonics song challenge was created right now using what is very much looking like stolen content hosted by props using their rack extension technology? They have pulled the REs but many people still have them in their rack and purchased them in good faith that props released them complete and cleared.
Now THAT would be interesting! The R.I.P Song Challenge.
Tend the flame

RobC

25 May 2018

normen wrote:
25 May 2018
Lets not forget that there is a chance that in the mind of the perpetrator his actions were legal and okay. It would be a head turner but I have seen worse misunderstandings.
People prefer to make drama. If I dare to say to be careful what they comment, cause it might not end well, reaction is a "lol" in a nutshell. Some look for ways out to make remarks in a reworded way, and think it will be okay that way. Maybe with the eye of the "average joe", but if a lawyer takes a look, shiz can happen.

I'm not sure either what's going on; I'd be interested if the main companies would enlighten us, such as Softphonics and Propellerhead software. I'm not interested in trolls making the "lulz" comments which make them 'so kewl', SJW's making videos, calling someone stupid after the website says "Please keep a candle lit for autism awareness." ~ very "smart" youtube guy - I'd rather drink a coffee, and talk to a lawyer to know what one can, and what one can't say, especially in a public video; but if the youtube views are worth the risk for him for some reason...

Haha, I forgot what I originally wanted to say, Normen. xD People should ask, not assume.

nickb523
RE Developer

25 May 2018

normen wrote:
25 May 2018
This is a possibility.

It's not out of the question that Andrew himself removed all Softphonics from the Prop Shop. However, given the timeline of events that i have, it looks a bit darker i'm afraid. :(

Gutted.

fotizimo

25 May 2018

Looking through Instagram, Andrew seems to have taken his account private, which is weird as I was following him. Now I cannot.
Fotizimo @ Instagram
:reason: on Surface Pro 4
Nektar Impact 25
Novation Launchkey Mini
Arturia SparkLE Spark Codec for Reason

miscend

25 May 2018

Not replying to his emails and closing all contact with his paying customers is quite a shady thing to do. I think there is still an opportunity to come clean. I’ve seen some talk online of ASD or autism, what I’ve seen is that people with these conditions can be real savants, they can be incredibly talented especially in the arts.

Oquasec

25 May 2018

That sucks. They should keep plugins in the shop
Producer/Programmer.
Reason, FLS and Cubase NFR user.

fieldframe
RE Developer

25 May 2018

What a mess.

Whatever comes of this commercially and legally, I hope Andrew is getting the treatment he needs and his health improves.

aeox
Competition Winner

25 May 2018

RobC wrote:
25 May 2018
This pretty much explains why contact addresses get closed down, probably by someone who acts on his behalf.
Or a desperate ruse.

esselfortium

25 May 2018

RobC wrote:
25 May 2018
miscend wrote:
25 May 2018
Not replying to his emails and closing all contact with his paying customers is quite a shady thing to do. I think there is still an opportunity to come clean. I’ve seen some talk online of ASD or autism, what I’ve seen is that people with these conditions can be real savants, they can be incredibly talented especially in the arts.
The website says:

"1. Constant manipulated bad press over some recent beta tests and smearing older reason refills has been the final nail."

Now, he coded a lot of his works from the ground, yet it still got defamed as if it was just some pre-made modules, which it was not. The second part of the sentence makes me wonder: ever thought about that he might have worked for other companies, recording, and owned rights to the same samples perhaps, etc? Everyone can speculate endlessly until the companies don't tell us what's gonna happen.
That is actually not true. His plugins were indeed simple premade effects from the IDT/GE set. And I don't mean this as an attack on anyone using IDT/GE, it's a fine platform that deserves to see more legitimate use. But these were about the laziest imaginable uses of it, and he was very shifty about it. After I expressed my skepticism on the forum, he sent me a PM offering me licenses of his products to keep quiet about it.

He wasn't just stealing samples and then doing everything else legitimately. His entire business was built around finding various ways of taking other peoples' work and slapping his logo onto it. In the case of the ReFills and IDT instruments, it was outright illegal. In the case of the IDT effects, it was merely deceptive, but even setting aside the shadiness there, he was selling these (and had early access to the new IDT) based solely on the brand identity and reputation he had built from theft. It's all tainted.

As for taking down his products, I've owned his EmbouchuRe refill for around two years now and as far as I'm aware there have been no updates made to it, even to fix simple bugs like broken keyswitch behavior or wrong notes in NNXT patches, so it's not a matter of wanting to be able to provide support for them, either. He's just been caught in a big web of lies and he's running away.

It is also hugely gross behavior to cite autism as an excuse for theft, throwing countless other people under the bus who have never used it as an excuse to build a business ripping people off.
Last edited by esselfortium on 25 May 2018, edited 1 time in total.
Sarah Mancuso
My music: Future Human

RobC

25 May 2018

aeox wrote:
25 May 2018
RobC wrote:
25 May 2018
This pretty much explains why contact addresses get closed down, probably by someone who acts on his behalf.
Or a desperate ruse.
I give up... : /

-

Keep beating a dead horse, everyone, and peck as much as you want like vultures do.

Like the Reason Expert says "Pish oph!" right?

"Congrats".

aeox
Competition Winner

25 May 2018

RobC wrote:
25 May 2018
aeox wrote:
25 May 2018

Or a desperate ruse.
I give up... : /

-

Keep beating a dead horse, everyone, and peck as much as you want like vultures do.

Like the Reason Expert says "Pish oph!" right?

"Congrats".
Give up on what? Trying to control peoples opinions and feelings is no small task. If this is something we can't openly discuss, than I apologize. It's just that it's a pretty big upset in the community and it's inevitable that people are going to share their opinions on it.

RobC

25 May 2018

I'll be waiting for a declaration from Propellerhead Software and Softphonics.

This thread is like old bags gossiping. xD

Loque

25 May 2018

RobC wrote:
25 May 2018

:thumbs_up:
Reason12, Win10

fieldframe
RE Developer

25 May 2018

RobC wrote:
25 May 2018

In a case like this, the lawyers for each party will request that plaintiffs and defendants not publicly disclose anything until they reach a settlement (or it goes to trial, which is vanishingly unlikely). A settlement will generally also be reached for undisclosed amounts and often with no public admissions of wrongdoing.

So unfortunately, I think you'll be waiting for awhile.

• Information