Softphonics are done???!!

This forum is for anything not Reason related, if you just want to talk about other stuff. Please keep it friendly!
eusti

24 May 2018

Here's what I just came across on their website ( http://www.softphonics.com/ ):
Screen Shot 2018-05-24 at 21.57.52.png
Screen Shot 2018-05-24 at 21.57.52.png (635.07 KiB) Viewed 5450 times
:(

D.

Loque

24 May 2018

Sad news i wish him the best.
Reason12, Win10

eusti

24 May 2018

Loque wrote:
24 May 2018
Sad news i wish him the best.
I agree! :{

D.

aeox
Competition Winner

24 May 2018

;(

Catblack

24 May 2018

There is this unlisted youtube video which will probably explain why he's gone a bit better.

(It was posted in the chat room a couple of hours ago.)
If you ain't hip to the rare Housequake, shut up already.

Damn.

Bes
Competition Winner

24 May 2018

please keep a candle lit for autism awareness :thumbs_up:
- Certified Reason expert

TritoneAddiction
Competition Winner

25 May 2018

Catblack wrote:
24 May 2018
There is this unlisted youtube video which will probably explain why he's gone a bit better.

That looks really bad on Softphonics part watching that video.

I looked up this video on Kontakt Action Strikes and I recognize some samples from their Epic Beatre refill which I own.

No wonder a lot of their stuff was taken down from the Prop Shop.

aeox
Competition Winner

25 May 2018

TritoneAddiction wrote:
25 May 2018
Catblack wrote:
24 May 2018

I looked up this video on Kontakt Action Strikes and I recognize some samples from their Epic Beatre refill which I own.

Seems like everything was taken down except some refills

Loque

25 May 2018

aeox wrote:
25 May 2018
TritoneAddiction wrote:
25 May 2018

Seems like everything was taken down except some refills
That is hard stuff...The potentially illegal stuff...that makes some other things potentially questionable... :( :roll:
Last edited by Loque on 25 May 2018, edited 1 time in total.
Reason12, Win10

nickb523
RE Developer

25 May 2018

Wow. This came out of nowhere. I was just chatting with him last night and had no idea this was coming. :shock:

He's just vanished!

Bonkhead

25 May 2018

Wow, just got noticed on this subject. And watched the video's.

What will happen to the accounts of people having licenses for their re's/idt's ?

Namyo85

25 May 2018

I believe RE's stay on Props users accounts even if they are no longer in the shop. Therefore they can still be downloaded if you were to buy a new computer for example... Having said that, due to what is going on it could be different for these particular RE's, so yeah, I don't know actually.

Bonkhead

25 May 2018

I don't think pheads would let people continue to use illegal soundmodules.

That would be basicly the same as using cracked vst's from a paid russian website, since the original owners didn't get paid but you paid another middle man (fakephonics).

In the mean time, people who are not aware of the video's or this forum and have their modules removed would be very suprised, especially if they started making their next hit record with them. The only way to deal with this imho is to remove the re's/idt's from both the shop and the user accounts, and give back store credit worth of the investment in the revoked fakephonics license.
Then, let the legal battle begin. I would think Native Instruments and Propellerhead already should have made contact by now about this issue and NI knocking on fakephonics door was the final nail on the coffin to shut things down. Propellerheads has all the sales figures, so NI can go after fakephonics, as long as the ammount of revenue was big enough to pursuit. I would guess Pheads already tranfered their cut to NI to clean their hands off this mess.

The "extreme bad health issue" comment sounds to me like one of two things:
1. It is true, and he knew the moment would come he couldn't do anything, and there is nothing to claim if this was found out. Just making a quick buck as long as possible. Simular to Breaking Bad.
2. It is untrue, and this is merely a message of "please leave me alone, I'm am sick/fragile/poor, there is nothing to gain from going after me !".

Just speculation folks :geek:

ReasonTalk

25 May 2018

Dear ReasonTalkers,

We’re not sure what is going on. What we do know is the information given on the Softphonics site along with this video that seems to be circulating at the same time.

We advise you to contact Propellerhead directly with any questions or concerns.

Auryn

25 May 2018

Catblack wrote:
24 May 2018

Wow that is super damning... and there I was worrying whether I could resample some other RE's oscs for use as wavetables in my Oberon refill! I always wonder what makes people do things like this... don't they feel bad or ashamed, even if only internally? I mean, if I make a refill one of the bigger motivators that gets me through the grindier aspects of it is a sense of pride/accomplishment that I created something new/unique. Maybe he was in financially dire straits or something.
~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-
Quixotic Sound Design: http://www.quixoticsounddesign.com
Europandemonium Refill: https://gumroad.com/l/YxIGB

RobC

25 May 2018

ReasonTalk wrote:
25 May 2018
Dear ReasonTalkers,

We’re not sure what is going on. What we do know is the information given on the Softphonics site along with this video that seems to be circulating at the same time.

I agree! While nothing is cleared up, I don't think it's very clever of people to start name calling, and making assumptions and playing the usual Social Justice Warrior game.

Ostermilk

25 May 2018

RobC wrote:
25 May 2018

...I don't think it's very clever of people to start name calling, and making assumptions and playing the usual Social Justice Warrior game...
...said a spokesperson for social justice.

In English that would be called irony, no?
Bes wrote:
24 May 2018
please keep a candle lit for autism awareness :thumbs_up:
That bit about lighting a candle for Autism awareness is a good sentiment from Softphonics, raising that among issues of suspected dodgy behaviour implying that it may be some kind of justification for what may have (or may not have) happened here. Well that comes a across as pretty naff on top of the rest of it as well.
Last edited by Ostermilk on 25 May 2018, edited 2 times in total.

selig
RE Developer

25 May 2018

RobC wrote:
ReasonTalk wrote:
25 May 2018
Dear ReasonTalkers,

I agree! While nothing is cleared up, I don't think it's very clever of people to start name calling, and making assumptions and playing the usual Social Justice Warrior game.
Name calling is definitely bad form, but the fact the softphonics page is saying what it’s saying, and the products that are removed from the shop, one cannot say “nothing is cleared up”.

But I don’t want to talk out of turn, and want to see for myself before drawing any conclusions.

So I just did a quick check and found a perfect match on a trombone sound between NI Trombone Essential and EmbrochuRe “Concert Orchestra Trombone” - they MATCH, down to the waver in the middle of the sample.

Just to be sure…
So I stacked them, inverted polarity, and got very near cancellation, and on another note I got slight phasing (the sound you get when you double a sample and detune one very slightly). I then adjusted the sample start on the NNXT and the cancellation was gone (which is expected if the samples are basically the same).

So for ME, there are no longer any assumptions, and it’s “cleared up” enough to be confident to say things look VERY bad for Andrew.

[to be clear and fair, this is only one instrument from many - but it would be a huge coincidence if the one I choose just happened to be the ONLY one]

Sent from some crappy device using Tapatalk
Selig Audio, LLC

SoulState

25 May 2018

Ostermilk wrote:
25 May 2018
RobC wrote:
25 May 2018

...I don't think it's very clever of people to start name calling, and making assumptions and playing the usual Social Justice Warrior game...

No!
In Scotland it's called "calling a spade a spade".
:reason:

miscend

25 May 2018

Didn’t Softphonics contribute to the Reason factory library?

I’m very suspicious of another Rompler in the shop. Like where and when did those guys go record orchestral Strings and percussion. I’m sure they ripped the sounds from other sources.

selig
RE Developer

25 May 2018

miscend wrote:Didn’t Softphonics contribute to the Reason factory library?

I’m very suspicious of another Rompler in the shop. Like where and when did those guys go record orchestral Strings and percussion. I’m sure they ripped the sounds from other sources.
Please don’t spread rumors here - if you have evidence, present it, if not then don’t be so “sure”, please.

Sent from some crappy device using Tapatalk
Selig Audio, LLC

normen

25 May 2018

Ostermilk

25 May 2018

SoulState wrote:
25 May 2018
Ostermilk wrote:
25 May 2018

No!
In Scotland it's called "calling a spade a spade".
Exactly, if we were to call a spade a spade in this instance, then it seems like it's been used to shovel a lot of the brown stuff around. The whole thing smells, and I'm not referring to the comments made about it here.

I could explain where the irony came in, but I'm not sure now that you'd get that either.
Last edited by Ostermilk on 25 May 2018, edited 3 times in total.

Aosta

25 May 2018

Luckily I'm not a fan of romplers, this sounds pretty serious and I'm wondering what will happen to users that have purchased the REs? Surely they have to be deleted and refunds given but how are props going to strongarm a now seemingly defunct entity? Props may have to take a hit on this?
Tend the flame

Ostermilk

25 May 2018

I must check out the now seemingly well-named Encore refill as I own that one.

• Information