Softphonics are done???!!

This forum is for anything not Reason related, if you just want to talk about other stuff. Please keep it friendly!
Ostermilk

27 May 2018

Last edited by Ostermilk on 27 May 2018, edited 2 times in total.

Ermitage

27 May 2018

miscend wrote:
27 May 2018
Ostermilk have some heart! You would be surprised at the complete lack of awareness on copyright issues in this industry as a whole. How many sample packs get released weekly, that are just re-samples of old samples that have been circulating for ages? How many people sampled funky drummer for use in commercial songs or sample packs? And yet the drummer who played that break died in poverty.

There were popular refills based on the Yamaha Motif, Korg Triton and Roland Fantom etc etc. Many people bought these not knowing it was illegal. For example if other companies can release Kontakt libraries based on sampling of old keyboards (and samplers like the mellotron). It’s possible Softphonics felt it was perfectly acceptable to make libraries from sampling his plugin collection.
In those cases the sources of the samples are listed, albeit in a vague manner ("variety of legendary synths", for instance)

Compare that to the interview linked a few posts before me:
"The String players used for EncoRE were recorded in the All Hallows Monastery in Drumcondra, just north of Dublin."
He didn't allude to using exisiting samples, but straight up claimed he himself recorded them.

In the first examples the samples are also based on old synths that are either very expensive or impossible to obtain, whereas the latter is a kontakt library which is few years old.

Some perspective is good, but false equivalence isn't.

SA Studio

27 May 2018

I made a comment agreeing with Avosoft I can't find now

miscend

27 May 2018

Ermitage wrote:
27 May 2018
He didn't allude to using exisiting samples, but straight up claimed he himself recorded them.

In the first examples the samples are also based on old synths that are either very expensive or impossible to obtain, whereas the latter is a kontakt library which is few years old.

Some perspective is good, but false equivalence isn't.
I don’t disagree that he did lie about his sources.

But it is still illegal to sample keyboards that use samples. And yet many companies do it.

Marco Raaphorst

27 May 2018

I take this with a grain of salt. We are all copying. Sampling or resampling, does it really matter that much?

People can take samples and photos but we cannot resample or make a photo of a photo?

Loque

27 May 2018

Marco Raaphorst wrote:
27 May 2018
I take this with a grain of salt. We are all copying. Sampling or resampling, does it really matter that much?

People can take samples and photos but we cannot resample or make a photo of a photo?
No, you cant, we cannot and it is ok that way. The rights belong to the creator until he creates some kind of copyleft.
Reason12, Win10

SA Studio

27 May 2018

I haven't made any violation and my posts keep dissaperaring

jappe

27 May 2018

SA Studio wrote:
27 May 2018
I haven't made any violation and my posts keep dissaperarin
Please check your PM box.

stratatonic

27 May 2018

Marco Raaphorst wrote:
27 May 2018
I don't know. How much money did you make from your copying/sampling/resampling? That probably matters a bit.

nickb523
RE Developer

27 May 2018

stratatonic wrote:
27 May 2018
Marco Raaphorst wrote:
27 May 2018
I don't know. How much money did you make from your copying/sampling/resampling? That probably matters a bit.
Over the line and moving into attacks.

Stop it.

Exowildebeest

27 May 2018

SA Studio wrote:
27 May 2018
I made a comment agreeing with Avosoft I can't find now
I read it, thought you deleted it yourself... Strange.
Marco Raaphorst wrote:
27 May 2018

Dude. This is way beyond some friendly artistic sampling. This seems to have been a straight up scam.

nickb523
RE Developer

27 May 2018

Exowildebeest wrote:
27 May 2018

Dude. This is way beyond some friendly artistic sampling. This seems to have been a straight up scam.
Until i know anything more. This is a fair comment.

jappe

27 May 2018

Hey all,

there has been intense moderation of this thread since start, but it's difficult to keep the pace.
We'll lock this thread for now and consider reopening it later.

• Information