Mobile Benchmarks and why is an iPhone 8/X more powerful than an iPad Pro??

This forum is for anything not Reason related, if you just want to talk about other stuff. Please keep it friendly!
stratatonic

17 May 2018

What are people doing with their iPhones that they need more computing power than an iPad Pro?
Attachments
iOS Multi-Core Benchmarks.jpeg
iOS Multi-Core Benchmarks.jpeg (182.2 KiB) Viewed 606 times

O1B

20 Jun 2018

Wow.

I cracked the Screen - AND - home button - on my 8 Plus.

I Thought I was fried. Two days ago - in one VISIT - Apple swapped the screen, Home Button, Headset and Speaker port (or something like that) for $170 - and slapped on a fresh warranty.

I dunno... Apple works for me!

And, I think Ill grab that stripped down iPad - with Apple Pencil.
An iPad upgrade for the upcoming OP-Z - and the AIRA modules - and MPE response, is nec.

my old iPad mini is noticeably slow, as well.

normen

20 Jun 2018

I guess one reason is that Siri is and will be much more local than Alexa and it's companions, so the iPhone - being your "on board computer" - will need more local power in the future. Most iOS users can see it already how Siri creeps up in the battery usage overview.

jimmyklane

20 Jun 2018

Simply a new processor and chipset. I’m sure people don’t need more horsepower in a phone than in their tablet....They will come out with a new iPad Pro that outdoes them all....for 6 months, and then we begin the merry-go-round all over again.

I love my apple iPhone, iPad, iWatch, and iMac(s), but I still use a PC for creating music because I can build them myself.
DAW: Reason 12

SAMPLERS: Akai MPC 2000, E-mu SP1200, E-Mu e5000Ultra, Ensoniq EPS 16+, Akai S950, Maschine

SYNTHS: Mostly classic Polysynths and more modern Monosynths. All are mostly food for my samplers!

www.soundcloud.com/jimmyklane

normen

20 Jun 2018

Thats true too, it's like HD space - if it's there it's gonna be used ;)

stratatonic

25 Jun 2018

jimmyklane wrote:
20 Jun 2018
Simply a new processor and chipset. I’m sure people don’t need more horsepower in a phone than in their tablet....They will come out with a new iPad Pro that outdoes them all....for 6 months, and then we begin the merry-go-round all over again.
I wonder if the vast majority of iPhone users, would accept a bit less computing power and have their battery life doubled instead.
normen wrote:
20 Jun 2018
I guess one reason is that Siri is and will be much more local than Alexa and it's companions, so the iPhone - being your "on board computer" - will need more local power in the future. Most iOS users can see it already how Siri creeps up in the battery usage overview.
Yeah, I suppose. But I wonder how many users are using Siri regularly?

stratatonic

25 Jun 2018

O1B wrote:
20 Jun 2018
Wow.

I Thought I was fried. Two days ago - in one VISIT - Apple swapped the screen, Home Button, Headset and Speaker port (or something like that) for $170 - and slapped on a fresh warranty.

So what do you do with the excess computing power of your iPhone 8 PLUS?

normen

25 Jun 2018

stratatonic wrote:
25 Jun 2018
Yeah, I suppose. But I wonder how many users are using Siri regularly?
Well as said it‘s more than the speech recognition bit, Siri gets all kinds of jobs - like the Photos app is scanning your photos for faces Siri might scan your eMails for typical responses or combine your calendar and GPS data to offer you a train connection on the home screen. As said Apple does that locally instead of cloud based to play the „We love your data security“ card.

In the even further (but not too far) future that processor runs your whole world. Your AR glasses depend on it to render your „wallpaper“ of the day at home - the Amazon Jungle :)

O1B

25 Jun 2018

Asphalt 8.
Ill usually buy the Plus or Pro - for a little life extension.

Do you wirelessly charge your phone? It’s Pretty convenient.
I’m also APP heavy - MPE, audio analysis, Moog, Decibel X, Audio kit, and such.
The pictures and video from my trips are stellar. It’s My media device.

Traktor DJing into Reason.
.... the upcoming OP-Z.

On another note I just upgraded from the Air 2 to the iPad 2018. (AIRA Modular, Auria, Gadget)

Pretty easy on the pocket waiting on the next Pro this time around.

stratatonic wrote:
25 Jun 2018
O1B wrote:
20 Jun 2018
Wow.

So what do you do with the excess computing power of your iPhone 8 PLUS?

• Information