Laurel vs Yanny.

This forum is for anything not Reason related, if you just want to talk about other stuff. Please keep it friendly!
CephaloPod

15 May 2018

I clearly hear Laurel. Clear as day. How anyone can hear Yanny completely baffles me. It really makes me wonder if we're all hearing music the same. We all spend so much time sculpting frequencies. What's the point when people hear Yanny instead of Laurel?
2011 iMac i7; 24 GB RAM; OSX Sierra; Nektar LX 49; MOTU Microbook
Reason/Logic

aeox
Competition Winner

15 May 2018

I hear Laurel and "Yammy" or "Yanny". I can hear it one way and switch my brain and hear it the other way.

CephaloPod

15 May 2018

You are clearly a human/alien hybrid.
Reason/Logic

aeox
Competition Winner

15 May 2018

CephaloPod wrote:
15 May 2018
You are clearly a human/alien hybrid.
I'm going to go with "selective listening"

CephaloPod

15 May 2018

That's exactly what a human/alien hybrid would say.
Reason/Logic

aeox
Competition Winner

15 May 2018

CephaloPod wrote:
15 May 2018
That's exactly what a human/alien hybrid would say.

jayhosking

16 May 2018

If you focus on the lower end, it's "Laurel". If you listen in the midrange, it's "Yanny". Depending on the speakers you're using, you're more likely to hear one or the other. People are already doing it, but feel free to run it through an EQ or filter for yourself to hear them both!

manisnotabird

17 May 2018

I originally heard it as "Yanny". Then I imported the sound clip to Reason. No amount of EQ'ing could get me to here "Laurel". Then I experimented with using the audio transpose in the sequencer. When I transposed it up 3 semitones all of a sudden I heard "Laurel". And then when I listened to the original clip I still heard "Laurel". Transposing it down reverted me to hearing "Yanny" even when I returned to playing it at the original pitch. I can go back and forth between hearing the two just by listening to the transposed up or down version. If I don't listen for a bit, I revert to hearing the original as "Yanny" though.

Edit: now I can hear both at will in the original. First I moved my mouth to be in the "Yanny" or "Laurel" position while listening, and then I could change it just by thinking "Laurel" or "Yanny" right before hearing it. But transpose it up enough and I can't help but here it as "Laurel", and transpose it down I can't hear anything but "Yanny".

Double edit: Now put it in an NN19, and am getting the same effect playing it up and down the keyboard, and getting similar effects, but can also change which I perceive at various pitches using the low-pass filter.

normen

17 May 2018

I can also hear both, at first I only heard "Yanny" because I played it on my laptop speakers. The "Laurel" information seems to be in the lower frequency regions. It's a great example for how our brain colors the sound we hear HEAVILY. :)

Edit: Btw, when working with audio you have this happening sometimes, an audio snippet suddenly sounding completely different when you EQ it, like something was "hidden" in masked frequencies. Cool stuff - thats why I love audio, it's a science but you can never treat it like one ^^

stratatonic

17 May 2018

I heard Hardy. :lol:

Actually, I heard Laurel on a mac laptop. Then cranked up the sample around 2.5 kHZ medQ and cut around 440 wide Q with low shelf down and it was getting closer to Yanni.

Probably a combination of your speaker source and your individual hearing frequency sensitivities. Interesting.

QVprod

17 May 2018

It clearly says both. Not sure why there's a debate.

adfielding

18 May 2018

QVprod wrote:
17 May 2018
Yep. First time I heard it I heard "Yanny", but knew there was something else in there. I watched a video explaining it, and now I can only hear "Laurel". Psychoacoustics are weird.

QVprod

18 May 2018

adfielding wrote:
18 May 2018
QVprod wrote:
17 May 2018
Yep. First time I heard it I heard "Yanny", but knew there was something else in there. I watched a video explaining it, and now I can only hear "Laurel". Psychoacoustics are weird.
I heard just Yanny the first time too. Then I tuned the volume up. It's clearly 2 voices to my ears.

miscend

18 May 2018

It sounds like Laurel to me. On speakers, iPhone and headphones. There are definitely two vowels that make up the sound.

• Information