ABBA reunited

This forum is for anything not Reason related, if you just want to talk about other stuff. Please keep it friendly!
jappe

27 Apr 2018

Nice news, looking forward to hearing the result!
Grew up with this band, heard them first time when performing Waterloo at the Eurovision contest, they looked ridiculous but the music was good.

https://www.aftonbladet.se/nojesbladet/ ... -new-music

marcuswitt

27 Apr 2018

jappe wrote:
27 Apr 2018
Nice news, looking forward to hearing the result!
Grew up with this band, heard them first time when performing Waterloo at the Eurovision contest, they looked ridiculous but the music was good.

https://www.aftonbladet.se/nojesbladet/ ... -new-music
Just a big “WOW!”. That’s fantastic news, indeed ! One ‚dinosaur‘ of the Pop Music business is back on track to demonstrate what ‘quality’ really means in terms of song writing and arranging skills. They’ll be doing it again.

Electric-Metal

27 Apr 2018

marcuswitt wrote:
27 Apr 2018
One ‚dinosaur‘ of the Pop Music business is back on track to demonstrate what ‘quality’ really means in terms of song writing and arranging skills. They’ll be doing it again.
Couldn't agree more.
:?: The question is - Who cares :?:

Voyager

27 Apr 2018

Usually this kind of comeback means empty wallets...

EnochLight

28 Apr 2018

I'm cautiously looking forward to the new song, but the "tour" is an avatar tour, where they will be digitally represented on-stage and "de-aged". That pisses me off, because I'd pay top dollar to see them actually play together again on stage. I don't give a rat's ass that they're in their early 70's. I want ABBA. They're a bucket list band I never thought would record or play together again!
Win 10 | Ableton Live 11 Suite |  Reason 12 | i7 3770k @ 3.5 Ghz | 16 GB RAM | RME Babyface Pro | Akai MPC Live 2 & Akai Force | Roland System 8, MX1, TB3 | Dreadbox Typhon | Korg Minilogue XD

Zac

28 Apr 2018

For me it will never be the same. Unless it's the most emotionally evocative and musical material i just think my fondness is tied to the times and memories.

EnochLight

29 Apr 2018

I just feel it's unrealistic for us to think that ABBA in their 70's will be able to hit the same vocal range as ABBA did in the 1970's... :D :lol: :lol:
Win 10 | Ableton Live 11 Suite |  Reason 12 | i7 3770k @ 3.5 Ghz | 16 GB RAM | RME Babyface Pro | Akai MPC Live 2 & Akai Force | Roland System 8, MX1, TB3 | Dreadbox Typhon | Korg Minilogue XD

Marc64

30 Apr 2018

EnochLight wrote:
29 Apr 2018
I just feel it's unrealistic for us to think that ABBA in their 70's will be able to hit the same vocal range as ABBA did in the 1970's... :D :lol: :lol:
That's why everyone uses autotune these days :D

EnochLight

30 Apr 2018

Hopefully it’s not like trying to “fix” Shohreh Aghdashloo‘s voice with pitch correction.

PSoames

30 Apr 2018

Pension pots must need a top up after a series of bad investments and a mis-guided foray into the crypto-currency market.

PSoames

30 Apr 2018

PSoames wrote:
30 Apr 2018
Pension pots must need a top up after a series of bad investments and a mis-guided foray into the crypto-currency market.
Wow! Did I type that out loud!

Sorry chaps. I'm not a fan and a complete cynic, but that was no reason to piss on the cake.

EnochLight

30 Apr 2018

PSoames wrote:
30 Apr 2018
PSoames wrote:
30 Apr 2018
Sorry chaps. I'm not a fan and a complete cynic, but that was no reason to piss on the cake.
Meh, perhaps you're not wrong.. :lol:

Supposedly they were offered 1 billion USD about 18 years ago to regroup and perform, but they passed it up and said "we don't need the money". That said, doing 100 cities to make that sort of money was probably a contributing factor (playing 100 cities is hard for musicians in their 20's, let alone being in your - at the time - early 50's). :puf_bigsmile:

They've never been a "live performance" band, though - they were 100% studio magic at the time. Almost all of their TV performances in the 70's and 80's were them lip-syncing.

People's affection for them is interesting. But even if you're not a fan, you have to give respect to what they accomplished back in the 70's/early 80's. There really was nothing like them at the time, they were accomplished song writers, and made great music that moved millions of people (and dollars/krona).

PSoames

30 Apr 2018

EnochLight wrote:
30 Apr 2018
But even if you're not a fan, you have to give respect to what they accomplished back in the 70's/early 80's. There really was nothing like them at the time, they were accomplished song writers, and made great music that moved millions of people (and dollars/krona).
Ohh! Total respect and I mean that honestly - (Facetious mode is definately off!)

This was true popular, middle of the road, song making at it's formulaic, repetative, catchy, emotionless and in-offensive best. They didn't set out to antagonise, aggravate, disenfranchise or alienate. There was no ego-trip or soul searching introspection.

They just wrote songs people liked and understood, with a euro-pop flavour. It was the Esperanto of the music world. A comfortable beige spot away from the excitement of a rainbow.

(Facetious mode - Active)

PS: Middle of Road! That's a phrase I haven't heard applied to music in a long time and didn't there used to be a band not unlike ABBA that were called Middle of the Road?

Chirpy, Chirpy, Cheep, Cheep? Indeed!

EnochLight

30 Apr 2018

PSoames wrote:
30 Apr 2018
Ohh! Total respect and I mean that honestly - (Facetious mode is definately off!)

This was true popular, middle of the road, song making at it's formulaic, repetative, catchy, emotionless and in-offensive best. They didn't set out to antagonise, aggravate, disenfranchise or alienate. There was no ego-trip or soul searching introspection.

They just wrote songs people liked and understood, with a euro-pop flavour. It was the Esperanto of the music world.

PS: Middle of Road! That's a phrase I haven't heard applied to music in a long time and didn't there used to be a band not unlike ABBA that were called Middle of the Road?

(Facetious mode - Active)

Chirpy, Chirpy, Cheep, Cheep? Indeed!
I would give anything to be able to pen that sort of popular, middle of the road, song making at it's formulaic, repetitive, catchy, emotionless and in-offensive best. :D :lol:

PSoames

30 Apr 2018

EnochLight wrote:
30 Apr 2018

I would give anything to be able to pen that sort of popular, middle of the road, song making at it's formulaic, repetitive, catchy, emotionless and in-offensive best. :D :lol:
Hmmm! We might just be able to come to some sort of arrangement.

Tell me my boy? What value do you put on your... ever-lasting soul!?

#Mephistopheles :twisted: :twisted:

Catblack

30 Apr 2018

EnochLight wrote:
30 Apr 2018
PSoames wrote:
30 Apr 2018
PSoames wrote:
30 Apr 2018
Meh, perhaps you're not wrong.. :lol:

Supposedly they were offered 1 billion USD about 18 years ago to regroup and perform, but they passed it up and said "we don't need the money". That said, doing 100 cities to make that sort of money was probably a contributing factor (playing 100 cities is hard for musicians in their 20's, let alone being in your - at the time - early 50's). :puf_bigsmile:

They've never been a "live performance" band, though - they were 100% studio magic at the time. Almost all of their TV performances in the 70's and 80's were them lip-syncing.

People's affection for them is interesting. But even if you're not a fan, you have to give respect to what they accomplished back in the 70's/early 80's. There really was nothing like them at the time, they were accomplished song writers, and made great music that moved millions of people (and dollars/krona).
Here's a special where they don't lip sync. I know it's cheezy, they have a full orchestra there in leisure suits! But also they are all giving it their all, and it's a thing of wonder.
If you ain't hip to the rare Housequake, shut up already.

Damn.

EnochLight

30 Apr 2018

Catblack wrote:
30 Apr 2018
Here's a special where they don't lip sync. I know it's cheezy, they have a full orchestra there in leisure suits! But also they are all giving it their all, and it's a thing of wonder.
youtube.com/watch?v=D8mQ9nt5WAY
I am literally awestruck at Olivia Newton John's perfect 70's-tastic hair and perfect, immaculate voice.

Montag

01 May 2018

They should have done this years ago. I always wondered why they wouldn't do a single tour and test the waters at the very least. Anyway, great news!

• Information