Old school Slipknot

This forum is for anything not Reason related, if you just want to talk about other stuff. Please keep it friendly!
TritoneAddiction
Competition Winner

25 Apr 2018

I used to be obsessed with Slipknot around 1999-2001 and to this day I still love their old stuff, especially their self titled debut album.

There are way faster, more technical, more skilled bands out there. But to this day I haven't found a band that has displayed this raw intensity that Slipknot had during their early years. The brutal screams like the one at 2:53 sends chills down my spine. I absolutely love it.

This performance reminds me why I loved and still love the early era of Slipknot. Everything walks the fine line between order and chaos.

sublunar

25 Apr 2018

TritoneAddiction wrote:
25 Apr 2018
to this day I haven't found a band that has displayed this raw intensity that Slipknot had during their early years.
Then you must not have seen Pantera live. I've seen Slipknot live and IMO nothing beat the Pantera shows.

EDIT: just clicked the video and yeah. Strobe lights. Their shows were strobe lights the whole damn time. That bugged the crap out of me at the last show I attended.

TritoneAddiction
Competition Winner

26 Apr 2018

sublunar wrote:
25 Apr 2018
TritoneAddiction wrote:
25 Apr 2018
to this day I haven't found a band that has displayed this raw intensity that Slipknot had during their early years.
Then you must not have seen Pantera live. I've seen Slipknot live and IMO nothing beat the Pantera shows.

EDIT: just clicked the video and yeah. Strobe lights. Their shows were strobe lights the whole damn time. That bugged the crap out of me at the last show I attended.
I saw Slipknot live during their "Iowa" era (2001) and I thought they were awesome. I've only seen live clips from Pantera so it's not really fair to compare I know, but judging from them I didn't find them as intense.
Don't get me wrong, Pantera is a great band and in some regards "better" than Slipknot imo. But Pantera doesn't grab me on an emotional level like old Slipknot songs do for some reason. I think it's the chaotic element that speaks to me with Slipknot.

But how a person experiences music is of course very subjective and it's kind of pointless to argue over which is the most "brutal", "intense" or "best" music. No need to compete :D
Last edited by TritoneAddiction on 26 Apr 2018, edited 1 time in total.

sublunar

26 Apr 2018

TritoneAddiction wrote:
26 Apr 2018
But how a person experiences music is of course very subjective and it's kind of pointless to argue over which is the most "brutal", "intense" or "best" music. No need to compete :D
Agreed. But having seen both of them live, I would rate Pantera as the most raw/intense show I've ever been to. Also live shows rarely translate well to fan recorded videos and I feel it's worth pointing out that the video you linked sounds really good because the audio is from the soundboard. So here's a good example of Pantera live with decent audio. This shit makes me want to break stuff, so I probably should stop listening at work..

The last time I saw Slipknot was on a tour with System of a Down and Rammstein and honestly I thought the other two had a better show that night. What I remember most is waiting for Slipknot to get off stage because the strobe light was really obnoxious.

As far as their music, yeah they're pretty intense.

Noplan
Competition Winner

26 Apr 2018

I miss the old sklipknot too.

sublunar

26 Apr 2018

Noplan wrote:
26 Apr 2018
I miss the old sklipknot too.

That was beautiful.

TritoneAddiction
Competition Winner