Taking a break from music making?

This forum is for anything not Reason related, if you just want to talk about other stuff. Please keep it friendly!
TritoneAddiction
Competition Winner

15 Apr 2018

So I've been writing new material continuesly for about 3 years now without really taking any longer break from it.

Last couple of months it's been increasingly harder to sit down to work on new music and at this moment I simply don't feel inspired to sit down with Reason at all.

Maybe it's time to take a break and do something else for a while.

How often do you take breaks from creative work? Anyone has any insight on the matter?

pushedbutton

15 Apr 2018

I'm getting into 3D modeling in blender and Unity at the moment.
I got a VR headset in January and started making avatars and worlds for VRChat.
I've picked up quite a few skills along the way because I've had a reason to solve the problems I come across. Once my world has been fleshed out I'll have something to write some music for and I'll be ready to dive deep back into Reason. My Dad wanted to record a cover version so I recently put the project together for him and recorded a vocal for him to follow, I'm not too into the song myself but I enjoyed putting it together for him.
I guess TLDR is find a reason to use Reason before you feel like you're just throwing ideas at a wall and hoping for the best.
@pushedbutton on twitter, add me, send me a message, but don't try to sell me stuff cos I'm skint.
Using Reason since version 3 and still never finished a song.

Runner2x

15 Apr 2018

pushedbutton wrote:
15 Apr 2018
I guess TLDR is find a reason to use Reason before you feel like you're just throwing ideas at a wall and hoping for the best.
I agree. Without rhyme or reason or function or purpose the process becomes pointless. Might as well be an old lady in a retirement home doing a thousand piece puzzle. Practice only counts towards productivity if you feel engaged. Maybe take a break from banging out one minute melody tracks and try another metal album with real songs?

Zac

15 Apr 2018

I've been struggling for inspiration for a while now and without a guitar for that time too. Ive been drawing in my midi and ignoring my midi keyboard. But yesterday i got r10lite with better akai integration. So today i started hammering out drums and synth lines like it was my daily guitar binge.

I got some real grooves and breaks going.

My midi keyboard will be my guitar substitute for a while. I reckon I'll get my mojo going again.

TritoneAddiction
Competition Winner

15 Apr 2018

Runner2x wrote:
15 Apr 2018
pushedbutton wrote:
15 Apr 2018
I agree. Without rhyme or reason or function or purpose the process becomes pointless. Might as well be an old lady in a retirement home doing a thousand piece puzzle. Practice only counts towards productivity if you feel engaged. Maybe take a break from banging out one minute melody tracks and try another metal album with real songs?
Oh that was kind of harsh, but I get your point. It's a valid point.

The problem is I've tried to decide before what kind of track I should write and it usually failed. Not always but most of the time.
And some of my best work (according to myself ) has started with throwing shit against a wall and see what sticks. Then when I find something that interests me the song builds and takes off from there, what character and style it should have and so on.

I think what you are suggesting will only feel more forced than starting with a blank slate (for me).

Either way, at the moment I don't think any of the two methods will work. I think I just need a break.

Runner2x

15 Apr 2018

TritoneAddiction wrote:
15 Apr 2018
Runner2x wrote:
15 Apr 2018

Oh that was kind of harsh, but I get your point. It's a valid point.

The problem is I've tried to decide before what kind of track I should write and it usually failed. Not always but most of the time.
And some of my best work (according to myself ) has started with throwing shit against a wall and see what sticks. Then when I find something that interests me the song builds and takes off from there, what character and style it should have and so on.

I think what you are suggesting will only feel more forced than starting with a blank slate (for me).

Either way, at the moment I don't think any of the two methods will work. I think I just need a break.
Here is a track I made after ripping your Catacombs off your Soundcloud. Not your cup of tea I know but goes to show you can take things further. Sorry it is not more presentable but I myself am an old lady in a retirement home doing a pointless puzzle.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/2ds8n8qqo8d4t ... 9.wav?dl=0

That said, take a break if need be. I'll be taking a break this week maybe due to coming down with sickness. Sorry for the harshness.

O1B

15 Apr 2018

There’s no escape. If you’re Reason talking, you’re Reasoning.

But I do like Runn2x’s plan:
Pull out buried REs n pedals n things and have fun enhancing your stuff - or other material. That’s good practice and there’s nothing to lose - but to gain some new unthought of ideas/effects.

No Facebook, Twitter, spantrap or Brindr, but I do Reason everyday.
I never thought about it like that.

Thanks.

Marco Raaphorst

15 Apr 2018

I don't think there are any rules for this.

In the end it's just work, using a strict schedule will help. But don't commit yourself that you need to create something you are happy with. Sometimes it goes faster, sometimes it doesn't. But it does help to just do it. Start working. Even if it is shit. Worrying about it never helps. Just put the hours in, even when the output is shit, continue doing this. That is the only way for me.

In short: don't think, do it. Judge later.

Aosta

15 Apr 2018

I take breaks from music and focus on art and photography (my two other creative outlets) until I feel the need to fire up Reason again and have a twiddle :)
It's good to step back and have a breather.
Tend the flame

Runner2x

15 Apr 2018

FWIW I think you cracked the next stage but now it has to be traversed. Build an atmosphere and then create a world within that atmosphere. Melody can come later. Melody is too easy especially for you being a music teacher assuming melody is the foundation of course.

jayhosking

17 Apr 2018

TritoneAddiction wrote:
15 Apr 2018

My two cents: make music the way you want to make it, the way that works well for you. Work on it when you're inspired, and when you're not, then do something else. Myself, I rotate between a few different artistic pursuits, and find that I go through binges where I won't touch one kind at all for months, and then come back excited for that form again. When I'm wrecked from work and responsibilities, I also find that some non-creative time (e.g. reading books, playing video games) can be recuperative and also build up that itch to do something productive/creative.

Nothing wrong with a break. You've been making great stuff. You'll make plenty more great stuff when you feel like it.

Oquasec

17 Apr 2018

Practicing an instrument, music theory, learning more things about your daw, maybe some exercise, trying new things out etc.
Producer/Programmer.
Reason, FLS and Cubase NFR user.

modecca

17 Apr 2018

💅
Last edited by modecca on 20 Apr 2018, edited 1 time in total.
🔗💥

Runner2x

17 Apr 2018

Hachoo.

Marco Raaphorst

17 Apr 2018

Runner2x wrote:
17 Apr 2018
Hachoo.

The book The War of Art written by Steven Pressfield is also fantastic. Highly recommended!

theshoemaker

17 Apr 2018

Marco Raaphorst wrote:
15 Apr 2018
I don't think there are any rules for this.

In the end it's just work, using a strict schedule will help. But don't commit yourself that you need to create something you are happy with. Sometimes it goes faster, sometimes it doesn't. But it does help to just do it. Start working. Even if it is shit. Worrying about it never helps. Just put the hours in, even when the output is shit, continue doing this. That is the only way for me.

In short: don't think, do it. Judge later.
I have to agree with this. I'm not good at finishing timelines. But what helps for me is just spending time on a project and continue with work. I don't judge on being good or bad. In the end I know: The more time I spent on a project the better it gets.

My biggest inspiration right now is Gadget, as it has always been. On reason it takes at least a week or two for me to finish something I like. On gadget sometimes I get it done in 2 hours.
:PUF_figure: latest :reason: V12 on MacOS Ventura

strangers
Competition Winner

17 Apr 2018

I can never manage to get away from music. When I fall into a rut I know and feel myself forcing it. I'll switch gears and work on music for a different genre that I've neglected. More times than not, if I quickly hit a road block on the other type of music I revisit the old fork and the inspiration and ideas weirdly begins to flow.

I recently did this while trying to write for the RX950 challenge. Wrote 8 songs that I wasn't feeling, took a break to work on acoustic material for my friend, had the midi keyboard out and stumbled across what I'm hoping to knock out in less than two days to not miss the deadline since it's a song that I myself am happy hearing back. That's really all that matters. Once you lose track of writing what you want to hear then you're in grey area.

selig
RE Developer

17 Apr 2018

My only rule is to move on to something else, even a different music project but often a different project altogether, whenever I feel like I’m not having fun.

My goal is to keep moving, but change direction when I’m uninspired.

I’ve recently found a new approach to keeping moving. It has to do with the difference between being inspired vs being motivated. I used to think the goal was to be inspired before working on music, which meant I didn’t work on music when I wasn’t inspired. Now I tend to think more about motivation and discipline, as a way to get work done even when I’m not particularly “inspired”.

Sent from some crappy device using Tapatalk
Selig Audio, LLC

Marco Raaphorst

18 Apr 2018

selig wrote:
17 Apr 2018
My only rule is to move on to something else, even a different music project but often a different project altogether, whenever I feel like I’m not having fun.

My goal is to keep moving, but change direction when I’m uninspired.

I’ve recently found a new approach to keeping moving. It has to do with the difference between being inspired vs being motivated. I used to think the goal was to be inspired before working on music, which meant I didn’t work on music when I wasn’t inspired. Now I tend to think more about motivation and discipline, as a way to get work done even when I’m not particularly “inspired”.

Sent from some crappy device using Tapatalk
Discipline is a must imo. Ignorance as well.

Ignorance for that voice in your head saying “you won’t succeed” “you think this is fun!” “no one will like this” etc.

Do the work. Don’t think, be stupid and create.

TritoneAddiction
Competition Winner

18 Apr 2018

Runner2x wrote:
15 Apr 2018
FWIW I think you cracked the next stage but now it has to be traversed. Build an atmosphere and then create a world within that atmosphere. Melody can come later. Melody is too easy especially for you being a music teacher assuming melody is the foundation of course.
Honestly I think we two just absorb and think about music very differently. I'm not trying to be defensive or dismissive of your ideas, but I think we just look for different things in music.

I can tell you are looking for some specific qualities in music judging by this and earlier comments (and listening to your music), but it's obvious I'm drawn to other qualities. I've heard your music several times and even though it's not entirely my thing I appreciate it and see the qualities and skill behind it. But I just don't have it in me to build my music like that. It's not me.
Reading constructive criticism on my music sometimes feels like they want me to be another person. Like telling a death metal guitarist you should play more like a blues player or something because that's what they enjoy in music.
Again not trying to be defensive. Just being honest about how I feel.

The comment you made here is most likely very true for you but I simply can't relate to it. I'm not even sure I understand what you mean.

Having said all this I still appreciate your opinion and input, because sometimes you can still be influenced by someone/something and use 5% of it and turn it into something that makes sense to you. Like maybe I listen to one of your tracks and enjoy the dark atmosphere and I decide to write a dark track myself, or decide to make one of my tracks a little more drawn out instead of the quick pace between parts my tracks tend to have.

Runner2x

18 Apr 2018

TritoneAddiction wrote:
18 Apr 2018
Honestly I think we two just absorb and think about music very differently. I'm not trying to be defensive or dismissive of your ideas, but I think we just look for different things in music.
I appreciate your response and I agree that we are apples and oranges.
TritoneAddiction wrote:
18 Apr 2018
Reading constructive criticism on my music sometimes feels like they want me to be another person.
There is objective feedback and subjective feedback. We all can sit here and praise your awesome work but are we more than likely being objective? My rating scale gauges how likely I am to listen to somebody's music in my own time away from a forum. What kind of music would you give to a stranger who has no idea of what you do? I made the suggestion of taking a break from the synth demo projects to create song(s) for strangers. I saw the honest feedback thread you posted and it's a shame you didn't get more activity. A lot of people have a hard time with subjective opinion though, including myself at times, and ignorance is bliss.

Edit/Suggestion: Songs For Strangers - possible album title, anybody?
TritoneAddiction wrote:
18 Apr 2018
The comment you made here is most likely very true for you but I simply can't relate to it. I'm not even sure I understand what you mean.
More projects like your Catacombs. Drawn out progressions without the maniacal melodies. My point was to try something new as others have suggested. There are really so many different things you can try.
TritoneAddiction wrote:
18 Apr 2018
Having said all this I still appreciate your opinion and input, because sometimes you can still be influenced by someone/something and use 5% of it and turn it into something that makes sense to you.
Thanks!
Last edited by Runner2x on 18 Apr 2018, edited 1 time in total.

Runner2x

18 Apr 2018

Marco Raaphorst wrote:
17 Apr 2018
The book The War of Art written by Steven Pressfield is also fantastic. Highly recommended!
This book is partly responsible for turning me into a maniac.

“We must do our work for its own sake, not for fortune or attention or applause.”

“To labor in the arts for any reason other than love is prostitution.”

“The most important thing about art is to work. Nothing else matters except sitting down every day and trying.”

“The artist committing himself to his calling has volunteered for hell, whether he knows it or not. He will be dining for the duration on a diet of isolation, rejection, self-doubt, despair, ridicule, contempt, and humiliation.”

Kill your darlings, embrace the misery and fight the Resistance.

Runner2x

18 Apr 2018

Other books that I found to be inspiring.

The Mental Game of Electronic Music Production - James Timothy (laying out some practical strategies)
Steal Like An Artist - Austin Kleon (will definitely get the creative juices going)
Turning Pro - Steven Pressfield (sequel to The War of Art)
Mixing Secrets For The Small Studio - Mike Senior (more technical)
Dance Music Manual - Rick Snoman (cheesy title but it covers A LOT in general - not just "dance music")

jayhosking

18 Apr 2018

Maybe I'm the lone voice of dissent here, but:

Speak when you have something to say.

Draw water from the well when there's water in it. Let the well refill when there isn't.

This endless, unrelenting push to create art, even when an artist has nothing to say, is what leads to brilliant albums followed up by mediocre, uninspired albums from countless great artists.

Tritone, your music is awesome. I bet you're awesome at other things, too. Go do some awesome things and let that itch come back to you. There's nothing wrong with that.

It isn't just about the quantity of art you create, but also the quality.

Aosta

18 Apr 2018

Runner2x wrote:
18 Apr 2018
Marco Raaphorst wrote:
17 Apr 2018
This book is partly responsible for turning me into a maniac.

“We must do our work for its own sake, not for fortune or attention or applause.”

“To labor in the arts for any reason other than love is prostitution.”

“The most important thing about art is to work. Nothing else matters except sitting down every day and trying.”

“The artist committing himself to his calling has volunteered for hell, whether he knows it or not. He will be dining for the duration on a diet of isolation, rejection, self-doubt, despair, ridicule, contempt, and humiliation.”

Kill your darlings, embrace the misery and fight the Resistance.
It is a great book as is The 50th Law by 50 Cent and Robert Greene
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_50th_Law
and Robert Greene's other book Mastery
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mastery_(book)
Tend the flame

• Information