Taking a break from music making?

This forum is for anything not Reason related, if you just want to talk about other stuff. Please keep it friendly!
TritoneAddiction
Competition Winner

18 Apr 2018

Runner2x wrote:
18 Apr 2018
TritoneAddiction wrote:
18 Apr 2018
Reading constructive criticism on my music sometimes feels like they want me to be another person.
There is objective feedback and subjective feedback. We all can sit here and praise your awesome work but are we more than likely being objective. My rating scale gauges how likely I am to listen to somebody's music in my own time away from a forum. What kind of music would you give to a stranger who has no idea of what you do? I made the suggestion of taking a break from the synth demo projects to create song(s) for strangers. I saw the honest feedback thread you posted and it's a shame you didn't get more activity. A lot of people have a hard time with subjective opinion though, including myself at times, and ignorance is bliss.
Knowing how to make use of feedback the best way is a hard one I think and I still haven't quite figured it out yet.
Personally I'm much more willing to listen to regarding a mix or something, "kick needs to be louder", "needs more low end" and so on. It's when the feedback is more directed toward the "vision" itself that I'm having some trouble taking it to heart, because my view in general is that the artist did the way he/she did because it made sense to him/her.

I remember one advise in particular that I got a couple of years ago that I really took to heart. That was to try to add something new or make some sort of variation if a part comes back a second or third time. I thought that was great.

In the end creativity is a very confusing subject and I sure still haven't figured it out.

selig
RE Developer

18 Apr 2018

Marco Raaphorst wrote:
18 Apr 2018
selig wrote:
17 Apr 2018
My only rule is to move on to something else, even a different music project but often a different project altogether, whenever I feel like I’m not having fun.

My goal is to keep moving, but change direction when I’m uninspired.

I’ve recently found a new approach to keeping moving. It has to do with the difference between being inspired vs being motivated. I used to think the goal was to be inspired before working on music, which meant I didn’t work on music when I wasn’t inspired. Now I tend to think more about motivation and discipline, as a way to get work done even when I’m not particularly “inspired”.

Sent from some crappy device using Tapatalk
Discipline is a must imo. Ignorance as well.

Ignorance for that voice in your head saying “you won’t succeed” “you think this is fun!” “no one will like this” etc.

Do the work. Don’t think, be stupid and create.
That's the first stage, where I spew out ideas like a child and don't judge them at all. The second stage is to take all the pieces and start putting them together logically, with judgement. When I confuse those two stages is where I get into trouble! I've called this the "Spew, then Edit" approach and it's worked for many many years for me (not saying it works for everyone).
Selig Audio, LLC

selig
RE Developer

18 Apr 2018

TritoneAddiction wrote:
18 Apr 2018
Knowing how to make use of feedback the best way is a hard one I think and I still haven't quite figured it out yet.
Personally I'm much more willing to listen to regarding a mix or something, "kick needs to be louder", "needs more low end" and so on. It's when the feedback is more directed toward the "vision" itself that I'm having some trouble taking it to heart, because my view in general is that the artist did the way he/she did because it made sense to him/her.

I remember one advise in particular that I got a couple of years ago that I really took to heart. That was to try to add something new or make some sort of variation if a part comes back a second or third time. I thought that was great.

In the end creativity is a very confusing subject and I sure still haven't figured it out.
I can't use advice like "kick needs to be louder" and "needs more low end" because that's the producer's job to decide and is totally about "vision" IMO. Now, if I say I want the kick louder, then ask for advice on how to accomplish that goal, then bring on the advice!

And with regards to advice, there are two kinds I find useful. The first is advice from someone I know well, in which case I sometimes do the opposite because I know how that person thinks! The second is 'group' advice from folks I don't know as well or with less experience, and I only take that advice when I hear the same thing from more than one person. This is because I feel I can get a feel what my overall audience would think by asking the same question to multiple listeners, while any one of them may not have the answer that works for me.

With all advice, you test it against your gut (because YOU always know best) - sometimes you already know the answer and just need to hear it externally to be sure it's right. ;)

As for the advice to add something new or make a variation when a part comes back a second or third time, that's going to be true sometimes and not true others in my experience. There isn't any "rule" like that which always applies. The rule that DOES apply is to make a variation if you're loosing the listener's interest - but if the listener expects a change, then you have to stay the course to keep their interest! Like with all things artistic, it's SO contextual in addition to being personal IMO.
Selig Audio, LLC

Reasonable man

18 Apr 2018

I put my own motivational and uninterested moments down to not knowing enough about certain elements, but i could be wrong. For me thats the hard part ...about being honest about whatever those elements are. Sitting down and learning some of these elements from scratch is a killer and ensures that the short term creative process dies. I've decided to invest a few weeks soley for drum programming which is as a major weakness/flaw for me and has resulted in me scrapping alot of projects/would-be tracks.
I'd like to master programming and familairising myself with the reason factory soundbank and planning/organising differnt templates otherwise ...in reality .. i know I'm just wasting all my time.
Everyone has weaknesses and until they've been mastered in the mind...thery're the very things that kill creativity.
I think everyone strives to reach a level where they can write music fast and be automatically thinking subcounciously on a parallel level of a miixing/contruction strategy at the same time.
To me thats when your truly writing/being creative...and if music is your niche ..thats when your truly living.

selig
RE Developer

18 Apr 2018

Reasonable man wrote:
18 Apr 2018
I put my own motivational and uninterested moments down to not knowing enough about certain elements, but i could be wrong. For me thats the hard part ...about being honest about whatever those elements are. Sitting down and learning some of these elements from scratch is a killer and ensures that the short term creative process dies. I've decided to invest a few weeks soley for drum programming which is as a major weakness/flaw for me and has resulted in me scrapping alot of projects/would-be tracks.
I'd like to master programming and familairising myself with the reason factory soundbank and planning/organising differnt templates otherwise ...in reality .. i know I'm just wasting all my time.
Everyone has weaknesses and until they've been mastered in the mind...thery're the very things that kill creativity.
I think everyone strives to reach a level where they can write music fast and be automatically thinking subcounciously on a parallel level of a miixing/contruction strategy at the same time.
To me thats when your truly writing/being creative...and if music is your niche ..thats when your truly living.
I agree - in my mid 20s I put drums aside for almost 3 years (then my primary instrument) to work full time at a studio as engineer and later synth/sample programmer. Funny but when I returned to drumming, I had a much better sense of time (since I was working with drum machines and a Fairlight during that time). My stamina sucked for a few months but my concept of time and taste was suddenly miles ahead!
;)

In other words, for some people (such as myself) it's easier to learn something new by "total immersion"! The skills you already posses will still be there when you return to them, if they are solid to being with (and may actually improve in some cases!).
Selig Audio, LLC

Marco Raaphorst

20 Apr 2018

selig wrote:
18 Apr 2018
Marco Raaphorst wrote:
18 Apr 2018

Discipline is a must imo. Ignorance as well.

Ignorance for that voice in your head saying “you won’t succeed” “you think this is fun!” “no one will like this” etc.

Do the work. Don’t think, be stupid and create.
That's the first stage, where I spew out ideas like a child and don't judge them at all. The second stage is to take all the pieces and start putting them together logically, with judgement. When I confuse those two stages is where I get into trouble! I've called this the "Spew, then Edit" approach and it's worked for many many years for me (not saying it works for everyone).
Two of my favorite records are those by Latin Playboys. These were demos which were finished with a couple of overdubs and field recordings. Tchad Blake engineered them and added the field recordings, he also played some additional instruments. Ground breaking music imo. Traditional yet experimental and soundwise super. Lo-fi and HIFI at the same time.
In short: contrasty sound :)

selig
RE Developer

20 Apr 2018

Marco Raaphorst wrote:
20 Apr 2018
selig wrote:
18 Apr 2018

Two of my favorite records are those by Latin Playboys. These were demos which were finished with a couple of overdubs and field recordings. Tchad Blake engineered them and added the field recordings, he also played some additional instruments. Ground breaking music imo. Traditional yet experimental and soundwise super. Lo-fi and HIFI at the same time.
I wore out that first Latin Playboys when it first came out. Damn, that was some inspiring studio magic, and so unique! Only other thing that was sounding that unique and inspiring on that level was Tom Waits (Swordfishtrombone, Rain Dogs, Frank's Wild Years, etc), which seems to have inspired the LP sound (at least to my ears).
Selig Audio, LLC

Marco Raaphorst

21 Apr 2018

selig wrote:
20 Apr 2018
Marco Raaphorst wrote:
20 Apr 2018

I wore out that first Latin Playboys when it first came out. Damn, that was some inspiring studio magic, and so unique! Only other thing that was sounding that unique and inspiring on that level was Tom Waits (Swordfishtrombone, Rain Dogs, Frank's Wild Years, etc), which seems to have inspired the LP sound (at least to my ears).
Totally agree! Swordfish and the next ones are sublime.

TritoneAddiction
Competition Winner

29 Apr 2018

Marco Raaphorst wrote:
15 Apr 2018
I don't think there are any rules for this.

In the end it's just work, using a strict schedule will help. But don't commit yourself that you need to create something you are happy with. Sometimes it goes faster, sometimes it doesn't. But it does help to just do it. Start working. Even if it is shit. Worrying about it never helps. Just put the hours in, even when the output is shit, continue doing this. That is the only way for me.

In short: don't think, do it. Judge later.
I tend to agree with this mindset. It's worked well for me in the past. It's only just now that even this doesn't work.
I think it's just at some point you have to take a break and do something else for a while, even if you use a method that usually works for you.

TritoneAddiction
Competition Winner

29 Apr 2018

I've read through the comments here and there's many views that are useful I think.
I'll check out the War of Art at some point. I found the audio version on youtube of it so I'll most likely check that one out. I suspect there are some good stuff in there.

I'm a little surprised most comments here has been about "pushing through it" or "switch it up" kind of comments and very few or none that actually supported the "taking a break" approach.

Since I started this thread I have only opened up Reason a few times, only when I genuinely felt like it. Taking I break does seem like it was needed this time. I feel more motivated already. But I'll wait a little longer. There's no hurry to get back to it.
I think intuitively I knew this the way to go right now. But I'm sure the other view points in this thread will be useful when I get back to it.

Runner2x

29 Apr 2018

TritoneAddiction wrote:
29 Apr 2018
I'm a little surprised most comments here has been about "pushing through it" or "switch it up" kind of comments and very few or none that actually supported the "taking a break" approach.
Jan 2017
TritoneAddiction wrote:
20 Jan 2017
To be honest for me personally I don't put much importance on inspiration or motivation. It feels nice but that's about it. For me discipline is much more important. Now that may sound boring or unartistic or whatever but that's how I feel.

In my own experience feeling inspired or not has little to no effect on how good my music comes out. I can be super inspired and nothing good comes out and other times I've forced creativity with great results.

You can only listen to yourself. Anybody who tells you to take a break is a demon trying to devour your soul as far as I'm concerned. Haha just kidding.

TritoneAddiction
Competition Winner

29 Apr 2018

Runner2x wrote:
29 Apr 2018
TritoneAddiction wrote:
29 Apr 2018
Jan 2017
TritoneAddiction wrote:
20 Jan 2017
To be honest for me personally I don't put much importance on inspiration or motivation. It feels nice but that's about it. For me discipline is much more important. Now that may sound boring or unartistic or whatever but that's how I feel.

In my own experience feeling inspired or not has little to no effect on how good my music comes out. I can be super inspired and nothing good comes out and other times I've forced creativity with great results.

You can only listen to yourself. Anybody who tells you to take a break is a demon trying to devour your soul as far as I'm concerned. Haha just kidding.
Yeah that's pretty funny. Those two statements by me are completely contradictory to each other. :lol:

I'm actually a little surprised by my view of it now, because normally the old way worked for me for a long time.

stratatonic

29 Apr 2018

Runner2x wrote:
18 Apr 2018
...without the maniacal melodies.
And what is wrong with "maniacal melodies"? :shock:

Runner2x

29 Apr 2018

TritoneAddiction wrote:
29 Apr 2018
Yeah that's pretty funny. Those two statements by me are completely contradictory to each other. :lol:

I'm actually a little surprised by my view of it now, because normally the old way worked for me for a long time.
Eh...people change...get old...etc. Maybe your biological clock is ticking to persuade your perspective. You look pretty young. 35? My father was a guerilla musician setting up a bunch of equipment on the beach and playing for random people even after having four kids. Now he lives in a trailer drinking cheap malt liquor and recently told me he wants to move to Vietnam. Whatever the case is, we won't have the opportunity to be maniacal artists for much longer. People think they have time when they don't really. I take inspiration from the fact that we are dying a little more each day. One could argue what is it all for if our time in existence is so short and at the moment I would simply reply that the universe is sorting itself out one soul at a time. There is a balance to be maintained between knowing we are everything but nothing all at once I believe.

Runner2x

29 Apr 2018

stratatonic wrote:
29 Apr 2018
Runner2x wrote:
18 Apr 2018
...without the maniacal melodies.
And what is wrong with "maniacal melodies"? :shock:
From my own theoretical perspective, a solid contemporary melody should be easy to follow and perhaps sing along with. I believe this fundamental concept is what separates video game music from something relatable on a level of introspection. People get off on different things though and I do realize the fact that a "solo" has its place.

Marco Raaphorst

29 Apr 2018

Runner2x wrote:
29 Apr 2018
TritoneAddiction wrote:
29 Apr 2018

Eh...people change...get old...etc. Maybe your biological clock is ticking to persuade your perspective. You look pretty young. 35? My father was a guerilla musician setting up a bunch of equipment on the beach and playing for random people even after having four kids. Now he lives in a trailer drinking cheap malt liquor and recently told me he wants to move to Vietnam. Whatever the case is, we won't have the opportunity to be maniacal artists for much longer. People think they have time when they don't really. I take inspiration from the fact that we are dying a little more each day. One could argue what is it all for if our time in existence is so short and at the moment I would simply reply that the universe is sorting itself out one soul at a time. There is a balance to be maintained between knowing we are everything but nothing all at once I believe.
Yes we should think about dying. When we not think about it, we might ignore the fact that our time is limited.

You stand on top of the mountain and walk to the edge. Now you feel how fragile life is. That's very powerful stuff. More powerful than many other things you can do.

Trying to create good music is like that too. Very dangerous to put yourself out there. To have people tell you it sucks. But it's the best thing you can do. Because one day you're dead.

• Information