Greta Van Fleet

This forum is for anything not Reason related, if you just want to talk about other stuff. Please keep it friendly!
wendylou

02 Apr 2018

I grew up on Led Zeppelin and learned to play the obligatory Stairway to Heaven. I was surprised and blown away by recently discovering Greta Van Fleet who sounds like Led Zeppelin: guitar like Jimmy Page and vocals clearly like Robert Plant. Robert Plant was recently asked what new bands he liked and he gave thumbs up to these guys.There's been quite a gap in hard rock music since the 70's and 80's with Van Halen being the last guitar band I really liked. So Greta Van Fleet really stands out for a new band. Anyone else heard them?
:puf_smile: http://www.galxygirl.com -- :reason: user since 2002

aeox
Competition Winner

02 Apr 2018

I looked them up just now. Awesome vocalist!

selig
RE Developer

02 Apr 2018

Old shool, raw, and rocking!
:)
Selig Audio, LLC

wendylou

03 Apr 2018

aeox wrote:
02 Apr 2018
I can't believe that sound comes out of him!

wendylou

03 Apr 2018

selig wrote:
02 Apr 2018
Old shool, raw, and rocking!
:)
For sure, and in a good way! They said there was a lot of classic LP playing in their household while growing up that influenced them. They are all 21, and 3 of the 4 are brothers; the drummer is not related. They claim that, although they didn't necessarily start out trying to copy Led Zeppelin and Robert Plant, it was a strong influence and they wanted to honor that era, that sound, and evolve it. They really knocked it out of the park! :puf_smile: They were playing bars at 13. Later, Kid Rock helped them learn how to record. They pretty much took off last year.

Dabbler

03 Apr 2018

No denying the Led Zep sound. Very enjoyable to hear in the car. Hope to see them further the bounds of this style.

sublunar

05 Apr 2018

wendylou wrote:
02 Apr 2018
Van Halen being the last guitar band I really liked.
Based on this alone I assumed this was going to be pretty horrible music. I like heavy rock music, I grew up on, and I play heavy rock music (among other styles), but VH gets no love from me. Nails on a chalkboard.

Now that I've listened to a few of GVF's tunes, I recognize having heard them on the radio recently and.. yeah. They're ok. Not really pushing boundaries or going in new directions. But they have all the elements of a classic rock band if that's what you're into. If you're looking for new retro bands to listen to, Radio Moscow is in my opinion more interesting/original without sounding so much like a direct copy of anything in particular while definitely sounding like it was made 40 years prior.

So they're pretty much a Zep clone. Which is still better than being a Nickleback.

wendylou

05 Apr 2018

Even as a Zep clone, I just think it's neat that they may spark an interest in rock music in a new generation of people who otherwise may not hear much rock music these days. But yeah, they are clearly a clone. :puf_smile:

Marco Raaphorst

06 Apr 2018

The only thing I don't like is that they stay within the format. The music, hairstyle, style of clothing, it's all exactly like it used to be. It is super conservative and that gets me nervous. Break some fucking rules. Step outside that format.

wendylou

06 Apr 2018

Well, the lead singer has short hair – does that qualify for breaking the "rock" rules?! :puf_smile:

Marco Raaphorst

06 Apr 2018

wendylou wrote:
06 Apr 2018
Well, the lead singer has short hair – does that qualify for breaking the "rock" rules?! :puf_smile:
yeah very innovative :D

Ostermilk

06 Apr 2018

wendylou wrote:
03 Apr 2018
aeox wrote:
02 Apr 2018
I can't believe that sound comes out of him!
Not always in a good way I found.

There's something Mynah bird-esque about his delivery, like he's got what he's supposed to sound like perfectly, but the expressive urgency of the voice doesn't correalate with anything else the guy is doing. Whilst someone, let's say like Robert Plant would be imploring you to pay attention, or better still go on a journey with him, this guy just seems to be saying look at me it's as easy as shucking peas.

They're a great act though with potential to develop into something of zeppelin proportions.

TritoneAddiction
Competition Winner

10 Apr 2018

Watched a couple of videos of them when I first saw this thread.

Very impressive but also very unoriginal.

But of course if you just want more Led Zeppelin tracks with a bit more modern production, why not? They certainly know their s***. People seem to love them so there's obviously a demand for it.

• Information