What music has influenced your own music the most?

This forum is for anything not Reason related, if you just want to talk about other stuff. Please keep it friendly!
TritoneAddiction
Competition Winner

24 Feb 2018

There is a lot of good music out there that I enjoy. But for some reason there are only a few artists that really have had an impact on the way I compose.

These are probably two of the biggest influences in my own music.

The music from Turrican 2 for the Amiga 500. I used to play this game obsessively as a kid. Loved the game and I loved the music. I think most of my tendencies to write melodic video game sounding stuff stems from this right here.

Prodigy. I had a period during my teenage years when I was completely obsessed with them. Many of my tracks draw huge influences from the drums/beats Prodigy is known for. Also their excessive use of distortion also rubbed off on me.
Funny thing is, Prodigy was the first band that made me realize I liked the tritone interval. A couple of their earlier tracks emphasized that interval in their basslines. Most likely I wouldn't have come up the name TritoneAddiction if it weren't for them :)

paulred67

24 Feb 2018

Pink Floyd, Genesis, ELP, Yes, Manfred Mann's Earth Band, Supertramp, Queen....., classical music....Jean-Michel Jarre, Vangelis, Tangerine Dream...
Last edited by paulred67 on 24 Feb 2018, edited 2 times in total.
Studio One 6, Melodyne 5 Studio, Nord Stage, Roland RD-88, VR-730, Jupiter-Xm, JD-08, Arturia V Collection X, Pigments 5, Korg Collection 3, East West Cloud, Sampletank 4, Miroslav Philharmonic 2, Syntronik, Sampletron, Hammond B-3X, Blue 3, Pianoteq.

motuscott

24 Feb 2018

Waits and Costello have kicked out the jams.
and still are
Yes I'm old
Who’s using the royal plural now baby? 🧂

Auryn

24 Feb 2018

TritoneAddiction wrote:
24 Feb 2018
There is a lot of good music out there that I enjoy. But for some reason there are only a few artists that really have had an impact on the way I compose.

These are probably two of the biggest influences in my own music.

The music from Turrican 2 for the Amiga 500. I used to play this game obsessively as a kid. Loved the game and I loved the music. I think most of my tendencies to write melodic video game sounding stuff stems from this right here.
Awesome topic... also it seems we are musical siblings of a sort! :D I used to have an Amiga too, and have noticed that the game music I heard when I was young has had a lasting influence on my musical tastes and output. Unlike you I don''t have much skills melodically (so I work with friends who do :puf_bigsmile: ) but I do find myself constantly trying to re-evoke the feeling I got from certain game music. Turrican 2 is a huge classic ofcourse, it has such a diverse and joyful soundtrack. I personally have a soft spot for the music Tim Follin did for Ghouls & Ghosts on the Amiga. It's kind of more minimalistic and spooky. The level 4 music is still amazing (turn it up a bit)

also this managed to stick in my memory for 30 years already

TritoneAddiction wrote:
24 Feb 2018
Prodigy. I had a period during my teenage years when I was completely obsessed with them. Many of my tracks draw huge influences from the drums/beats Prodigy is known for. Also their excessive use of distortion also rubbed off on me.
Funny thing is, Prodigy was the first band that made me realize I liked the tritone interval. A couple of their earlier tracks emphasized that interval in their basslines. Most likely I wouldn't have come up the name TritoneAddiction if it weren't for them :)
I also really loved the Prodigy in my teenage years. Had a huge argument with my parents when I wanted to go to a festival at 15 yrs of age to see them, but I went! I do remember being a bit dissappointed with Fat of the Land. I loved Music for the Jilted Generation to death, and Fat of the Land seemed a bit more straightforward and rock-oriented (all 3-4 minute tracks) while Jilted was such a strong journey/story-like album. Also... I should probably look up what this whole "tritone inteval" thing is about!
~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-
Quixotic Sound Design: http://www.quixoticsounddesign.com
Europandemonium Refill: https://gumroad.com/l/YxIGB

Gorgon

24 Feb 2018

Yay Amiga and yay Commodore 64, without those machines, my life would have been quite different.

Music wise, KISS was my first real love, when I was about 10 years old. I was crazy about it, and not just because of the outrageous outfits, the music really struck a chord with me. I still love the older stuff (funny enough, by the time I started to listen, young as I was, the band was already in shambles and Peter had just left). At 14/15 a friend played an Iron Maiden record for me and my mind was blown. So then I was a metalhead for a few years, with the patched denim and huge ass long hair.

Then came house, and my mind was blown again. Bring in the Amiga and you can figure out what happened next.
Auryn wrote:
24 Feb 2018
I also really loved the Prodigy in my teenage years. Had a huge argument with my parents when I wanted to go to a festival at 15 yrs of age to see them, but I went! I do remember being a bit dissappointed with Fat of the Land. I loved Music for the Jilted Generation to death, and Fat of the Land seemed a bit more straightforward and rock-oriented (all 3-4 minute tracks)
Lol what? Does Narayan ring a bell?
"This is a block of text that can be added to posts you make. There is a 255 character limit."

Auryn

24 Feb 2018

Gorgon wrote:
24 Feb 2018
Lol what? Does Narayan ring a bell?
Okok, all except Narayan... but I think my point about TFOTL still stands, there's nothing spaced out like "skylined", or like the dark sweaty basement techno of "the heat the energy" on there. But I don't want to argue too much with an Amiga brother ;)

I do also love Kula Shaker though... this track from their last album made it into my favourites playlist:
~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-

aeox
Competition Winner

24 Feb 2018

Anything from deadmau5.

He makes the most basic synth sounds, sound extravagant and lush. No one else I've heard can come anywhere close to the quality and mixing he does.
There is no over the top wall of sound, crazy thrashy distortions (usually) Everything is a crystal clear and high quality sound that I personally strive towards.

On top of that, his chord progressions are something I envy greatly. As he doesn't know a thing about music theory, he just plots down notes in a sequencer and starts building chord progressions by experimenting.

Also.. Avenged Sevenfold, Guns N' Roses, Metallica, Slipknot (from my younger years)

Gorgon

24 Feb 2018

aeox wrote:
24 Feb 2018
Anything from deadmau5.

He makes the most basic synth sounds, sound extravagant and lush. No one else I've heard can come anywhere close to the quality and mixing he does.
There is no over the top wall of sound, crazy thrashy distortions (usually) Everything is a crystal clear and high quality sound that I personally strive towards.

On top of that, his chord progressions are something I envy greatly. As he doesn't know a thing about music theory, he just plots down notes in a sequencer and starts building chord progressions by experimenting.

Also.. Avenged Sevenfold, Guns N' Roses, Metallica, Slipknot (from my younger years)
Fuck deadmau5
"This is a block of text that can be added to posts you make. There is a 255 character limit."

Gorgon

24 Feb 2018

Here's one song that makes deadmau5 totally bankrupt. Fuck him.

aeox
Competition Winner

24 Feb 2018

Gorgon wrote:
24 Feb 2018
Here's one song that makes deadmau5 totally bankrupt. Fuck him.

Hatred towards intelligence and success is becoming more and more common these days ;)

bsp

24 Feb 2018

@Auryn&TritoneAddiction:
last year I compiled a huge playlist of videogame and demo musics in form of a Gearslutz thread (takes a minute to load).
(not that it really matters but that was a very nice spring day and I somehow felt like I was 18 all over again)

(p.s. and Auryn, my dear dutch pen-pal: sry for being so quiet but I'm working on some very nice things which you -as an avid ReCombinator user- will probably find very interesting)

ah yes, other major musical influences (off the top of my head):
- Ozric Tentacles
- Telefon Tel Aviv
- Oliver Lieb (spicelab, LSG (google "the unreleased album"!))
- Brian Eno
- lots of UK electronica and IDM (Aphex Twin, B12, ..)

Auryn

24 Feb 2018

bsp wrote:
24 Feb 2018
@Auryn&TritoneAddiction:
last year I compiled a huge playlist of videogame and demo musics in form of a Gearslutz thread (takes a minute to load).
(not that it really matters but that was a very nice spring day and I somehow felt like I was 18 all over again)

(p.s. and Auryn, my dear dutch pen-pal: sry for being so quiet but I'm working on some very nice things which you -as an avid ReCombinator user- will probably find very interesting)

- Ozric Tentacles
- Telefon Tel Aviv
- Brian Eno
Hey, good to see you, I just dropped you a PM. I'll check out your playlist, and am genuinely surprised to find the Ozric Tentacles among your faves :-) .
I've got an old vinyl copy of Oliver Lieb's "Spy vs Spice" album that I return to periodically, although I've never found it easy listening exactly. There's something austere and slightly clinical about it.

bsp

24 Feb 2018

Auryn wrote:
24 Feb 2018
bsp wrote:
24 Feb 2018
@Auryn&TritoneAddiction:

- Ozric Tentacles
- Telefon Tel Aviv
- Brian Eno
Hey, good to see you, I just dropped you a PM. I'll check out your playlist, and am genuinely surprised to find the Ozric Tentacles among your faves :-) .
I've got an old vinyl copy of Oliver Lieb's "Spy vs Spice" album that I return to periodically, although I've never found it easy listening exactly. There's something austere and slightly clinical about it.
the "unreleased" album is an absolute masterpiece, please check it out) (follow the SC link)

regarding the Ozrics: yeah, I guess I (still) am a hippy at heart.

[Ozric Tentacles - Sparkling Oasis]
[Ozric Tentacles - Cracker Blocks]
[Ozric Tentacles - Become the other]

will check your PM tomorrow!

Gorgon

25 Feb 2018

Oh dear, apparently I was drinking last night. :D

PSoames

25 Feb 2018

So much. No wonder I'm all over the place.

The Doors - specifically Manzarek's keyboard playing and style.

The Soft Machine, Gong and Ozric Tentacles - experimental styles, freeform structures, electronic techniques and instruments.

Steve Hillage - guitar. Ian Anderson - flute. Courtney Pine Sax. 4Hero - percussive beats and rhythm.

John Barry and Barry Grey - big band, jazz style cinematic/thematic arrangements.

John Otway - optimism and exuberence.

plaamook

25 Feb 2018

Gorgon wrote:
24 Feb 2018
Music wise, KISS was my first real love, when I was about 10 years old...
Hah!
So I'm a few years older than you but still, I really liked Kiss when I was young. Younger than 10 though. When I was about 8 my Grannie took me to see them somewhere in Maine while we were on holiday one summer. Seats way out in the middle of nowhere but equiped with my Granddad's binoculars and surrounded with dope smoke. It was amazing! It was about 1979-80. I lost interest shortly after that.

Mostly I think what influenced my music wasn't music as such but sound design. So when electronic and ambient music kicked off I got stuck in once you could operate solely on a laptop. Hence Reason.
Perpetual Reason 12 Beta Tester :reason:

You can check out my music here.
https://m.soundcloud.com/ericholmofficial
Or here.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC73uZZ ... 8jqUubzsQg

Torranium

26 Feb 2018

Since 2009 i'm totaly obsessed to a french Singer named Michéle Torr! She has given her First concert together with Jaques Brel at the age of 16 years in Paris (France). That was in 1964. 5 years before i was born. At the 29.04. this year she gives a concert in the french town Bézier in the age of 71. ! I have tickets and i will travel 1200 km from Germany to South-France with my good old friend Stevie to see the third concert of her in My Life.

She has motivated me to make music my Self! Because everytime i hear one of her Songs, something strange Happens. For example i hear a Violine somewhere at the highest Range of the Song and ask myself "how those 5 tones in the middle of the Violine-part would sound two octaves lower at a Synthesizer? Or something like that. I have this Kind of feeling for years now. And now i started to simpy check that out!

To give a "Thanks" to her my First work is a Trance Version of one of her best songs!

If i get the Chance, i will ask her for an autograph and give her an USB-Stick with my Song!

Greets from Germany
Torranium

P.S.
A Real Dream would come true, if i some day could give her a CD made by me with a Pricing-Label of a Music Store or Supermarket!

Gorgon

26 Feb 2018

Torranium wrote:
26 Feb 2018
To give a "Thanks" to her my First work is a Trance Version of one of her best songs!
Cool! You got it online somewhere or is it not done yet?

Gorgon

26 Feb 2018

plaamook wrote:
25 Feb 2018
So I'm a few years older than you but still, I really liked Kiss when I was young. Younger than 10 though. When I was about 8 my Grannie took me to see them somewhere in Maine while we were on holiday one summer.
I wanted to go but my parents wouldn't let me or take me there. I have still not forgiven them.

Torranium

26 Feb 2018

Gorgon wrote:
26 Feb 2018

Cool! You got it online somewhere or is it not done yet?
Hello Gorgon
This is a video of the original Song, which i recorded with my iphone at the 11.01.2015 in the Olympia Music Hall in Paris France.

This is a work-on version of my song. I think wednesday or thursday i added some Hardware-Sound to the Both "Piano" above "spherical" Pads
I will add some more hardware-Sound. And effects but the fundamental substance is ready.

This Soundcloud-Link is Private. It is a secret Link which not can be found on Soundcloud.
Please do me a favor and DON´T SHARE it, until i have either given her the USB-Stick, or have tried to give it to her success-less.

I´m not right shure now, wether my Song is really Trance. May also be that it´s "Elektronic Ganja" or "Elektro-Frog" or a mixture of all three.
I dont have an Overview over all that genre Stuff. I´m only shure that the original is nothing of all that. She is simply a great Diva !

But i Hope you like both.

Greets
Torranium

NekujaK

26 Feb 2018

Everything I hear creeps into my heart, soul, and brain one way or another... but some of the biggies are: The Beatles, Jimi Hendrix, The Cure, Avett Brothers, Mose Allison, Neil Young.
wreaking havoc with :reason: since 2.5
:arrow: https://soundcloud.com/nekujak-donnay/sets

demt

27 Feb 2018

ended up on stage with hawkwind and the free festival era
Reason 12 ,gear4 music sdp3 stage piano .nektar gxp 88,behringer umc1800 .line6 spider4 30
hear scince reason 2.5

modecca

27 Feb 2018

aeox wrote:
24 Feb 2018
Anything from deadmau5.

Haha deadmau5 always takes such a beating in this forum.

Slipknot:
When I first heard 'Duality' way back in the day, I could see there was some real emotion in some of the songs and more than just obnoxious screaming.
Some songs that really stand out to me being 'Left behind 'Wait and bleed' and one of my favorites: 'Sulfer'

🔗💥

aeox
Competition Winner

27 Feb 2018

modecca wrote:
27 Feb 2018

Haha deadmau5 always takes such a beating in this forum.

Slipknot:
When I first heard 'Duality' way back in the day, I could see there was some real emotion in some of the songs and more than just obnoxious screaming.
Some songs that really stand out to me being 'Left behind 'Wait and bleed' and one of my favorites: 'Sulfer'

Indeed :lol: I understand it though.

I liked Corey Taylors clean voice a lot. Some of my favorites are Wait and bleed, Before I forget, and Sulfer!

moneykube

27 Feb 2018

demt wrote:
27 Feb 2018
ended up on stage with hawkwind and the free festival era
nice :thumbs_up: :thumbs_up:
https://soundcloud.com/moneykube-qube/s ... d-playlist
Proud Member Of The Awesome League Of Perpetuals

• Information